ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 1!?!?!?

I’d actually say IC is the 4a favorite. Not sure why anyone would say Rochester is the forgone favorite.

The only class where anyone should bet their house on the winner is in 1A.

They've played 3x but no one ever talks about the 3rd one.
The last one at Gately CrossBones was memorable for a roughing the punter call and a phantom pass interference call. Both vs the Griffins. The first two were noted for plays made by participants in pads. Good luck Bones for the season. Saturdays visit to Gately was a reminder and ironically the only names I went home knowing from the CPS announcers voice was the name of the head official who was mentioned after every penalty call! PTSD set in!

• Haha
Reactions: Cross Bones
First two were classic games and for that reason they should be played in Frankfort or a neutral site other than a CPS field. Actually it is best to leave the MC / LWE game for when they align again in classification. It waters down the importance and intensity as a week one or two game.

Reactions: TheWizardofWoodlawn
I would agree MC has had our number but even they would say East is no joke and it took everything they had to come out on top. These games were some of the hardest hitting you will see at the HS level. Respect for both programs.
First two were classic games and for that reason they should be played in Frankfort or a neutral site other than a CPS field. Actually it is best to leave the MC / LWE game for when they align again in classification. It waters down the importance and intensity as a week one or two game.
Mount Carmel has absolute respect for LWE. I still yearn for the brain cells that I lost blocking Pirkle and Olofsson that evening. Many of our guys spent the entire next week in the training room instead of practicing ... so yeah... There was some hitting being done lol. I agree, let the football gods decide any future matchups rather than us mere men.

Reactions: mchsalumni
That was the first time Jordan faced him. MC saw LWE again in the quarters in 2008. 34-31 MC win
Jordan was a scout team QB BOSS as a sophomore, and definitely deserves credit for the first LWE W. He doesn't preach anything to his players that he didn't do himself. He's already developing into a legend in the shadow of a legend, which is exceptionally hard to do. We all have his back.

Actually and sadly, we can probably crown a 1A champ (Lena-Winslow), a 4A champ (Rochester), a 6A champ (East St. Louis assuming they. opt up from 5A (if not, they become 5A champs), a 7A champ (Mt. Carmel) and an 8A pick-em champ (Loyola or Lincoln-Way East) right now.
This is the unfortunate result of so many of our eyes being on Mt. Carmel vs. East St.Louis last Saturday night. It's obvious these teams are the best of the very best in regard to their classes.
Clearly, a school can come up with a magical season at any point, with Cary-Grove in 2021 being an example that comes to mind. Up north, 6A Lake Forest (6-0) in the 2020-2021 spring season might be another, though no one will ever know if Lake Forest could have done it as no playoffs existed.
In any case, after one week, it's not going to be easy to present any team that can challenge the above named schools in terms of KOing them in the postseason.
Instead, I suspect we are going to get a lot of "We need L-W East vs. Mt. Carmel and L-W East vs. Loyola and L-W East vs. East StL" stuff because those are the games that prep football fans want to see.
We've even lost the Rochester vs. Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin energy after one week, with Rochester dominating its highly regarded foe and Springfield Griffin getting routed.
Someone today wrote that he hoped the regular season is not now irrelevant.
Sadly, in terms of state championships to be won in each class, I fear that it now is.
You may fear it, but you are most likely correct in your assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT