ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 2??!?!???!!?

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
A very entertaining week for sure and a sign of things to come I hope.

1 - That Morrison takes the tigers with a last second kick - down goes No 1 in 3A.
2 - That despite injury, Maine South has a QB - he can play.
3 - That something’s not quite right at Warren and Nazareth.
4 - That York is good, real good.
5 - That Barrington May have a path to 9-0
6 - That Lincoln-Way is a collective 6-0
7 - That Montini and Fenwick are back - well at least for two weeks.
8 - That it never gets old watching former HS studs shine at the next level.
9 - That Lena-Winslow and Althoff appear to be on a collision course.
10 - That sycamore is that close to being that close.

That’s a wrap for this week. Enjoy the holiday and be kind.

That no one knows how this week’s Maine South vs Palatine game is going to go. @MS4EVER
Funny because I was wondering if Barrington took Palatine off the schedule!

MS defense is playing well. Pre season I felt like Palatine would be our toughest game of the regular season. Time will tell.

Reactions: gw86
Funny because I was wondering if Barrington took Palatine off the schedule!

MS defense is playing well. Pre season I felt like Palatine would be our toughest game of the regular season. Time will tell.
Haven't quite figured out Barrington yet - they're playing above what I expected to be their capabilities coming into the season. I knew they'd be heavily junior laden because their senior class didn't have much success as freshmen/sophomores, while the junior class is strong and was just a step behind Palatine(their only conference losses their first two years were to Palatine).

Given that we now know Warren is super young and in a rebuilding year, Barrington's win week #1, now, isn't that big a surprise. What they did to Prospect last week? THAT was a surprise.

As for Palatine - Maine South, both teams seemed to have good games leading into this one. Dom Ball took the first play from scrimmage in the second half 66 yards to make it 35-3, and Palatine rested about 80% of their starters for the second half after that. Got a lot of guys solid, game time experience and kept everyone healthy for next Friday.

I know MS QB1 is out, but QB2 seems to be picking up the slack quite well. Only injury for Palatine is our 6'7" wideout Connor May, who has some kind of hand injury. Tyson Moorer and Jacob Stark have picked up the slack nicely(Stark had a sick 74 yd punt return for TD called backed for a roughing penalty on what was a simple hard block..grr)

Dom Ball has been impressive so far - has four 50+ yd TD runs in the first two games and looks to have put on a good amount of muscle over the offseason. O-line is young - two sophs/two juniors but averages 250lbs and is improving.

I think the teams are pretty evenly matched with one exception - Dom Ball. His first two games were:

SCN: 133 yard rushing, 2TDs. 92 yards receiving, 1 TD
BG : 182 yards rushing, 3 TDs - first half + first play of second half.

I think he gives Palatine the advantage. Go to the 9:15 mark in this highlight reel - can't do much to defend against that kind of speed;

Last edited:
I think the Lincoln-ways are the biggest surprise for me. Mainly Central but I shouldn’t be surprised because coach Woodburn is a great coach who gained a lot of knowledge from coach Z. He is going to be really good for the Knights!

Reactions: lweastdad
COM could make some noise this year (and next couple of years)-Although rest of schedule quite tough. They have some very solid skill kids on V & defense is fast. JV QB is the real deal as well.

That oswego and plainfield north appear to be the favorites in the SPC

Last edited:
CG, PR and Huntley are 2-0 but which will run the FVC? Still very early but my money is on PR. I don’t think CG is back to form and I’m feeling a tease. Huntley, meh. Don’t count out South. Lots to play still.

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
That when Bmac’s program is in a run of a couple down years…they are still better than Herscher.

1. That as of now, the WSS belongs to York now and moving forward until someone beats them.

2. That Morrison is one of the top small schools in the state and should be ranked accordingly next AP poll.

3. That while still conference kings, South Elgin finally has competition in the Upstate 8.

1. That as of now, the WSS belongs to York now and moving forward until someone beats them.

2. That Morrison is one of the top small schools in the state and should be ranked accordingly next AP poll.

3. That while still conference kings, South Elgin finally has competition in the Upstate 8.
Someone has to beat the King to be the King....

Dukes gonna run the table.

They might. I think we’ll find out in a couple months.

Batavia showed LWE can be beaten by somebody other than MC and Loyola.
Did Batavia tho? I don't think people think LWE is unbeatable except by those two, hell they've had other close games. They just tend to pull those out like they did against Batavia.

Reactions: corey90
Batavia showed LWE can be beaten by somebody other than MC and Loyola.
If it's MC and Batavia at the end, Batavia will be a tough out. We have the cool, poised, and accurate Ryan Boe against the potential superstar Jack Elliott. A third consecutive meeting would be epic.

CG, PR and Huntley are 2-0 but which will run the FVC? Still very early but my money is on PR. I don’t think CG is back to form and I’m feeling a tease. Huntley, meh. Don’t count out South. Lots to play still.
Count out South. I’ve noticed that PR is in 5A no D 155 enrollments dwindling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT