ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn - 2019 it’s a wrap.........

I would also like to congratulate the Chicago Tribune on the fine coverage it gave to high school football this season.

I opened the paper today (they sent it to me free) and saw game stories of Michigan-Ohio State, Wisconsin-Minnesota, Auburn-Alabama and Clemson-South Carolina. No state high school playoff stories.

They didn't even have the high school state final scores in the paper. But I did find the football score for the monumental battle between Muhlenberg and Brockport.

The Trib opened the high school season with a story about the decline in the number of players in high school football. That was the last piece of coverage they gave high school football all season.

They also wasted two-thirds of the front sports page with a picture of meaningless NU players holding a meaningless trophy (for beatig meaningless U of I).

Reactions: Quags57 and WIU78
They also wasted two-thirds of the front sports page with a picture of meaningless NU players holding a meaningless trophy (for beatig meaningless U of I).
Just because you call it meaningless, doesn't make it so. It isn't meaningless to the players, their families and coaches who participate in those games. Many states have end of season games between two in-state schools. It does mean something.

Let me ask you a question. Which drew a larger audience at the stadium and on TV? NW and the U of I or all the high school championship games put together? I found myself watching more college football on Saturday because of the match ups, than I did HS games. But the crappy production of the games did play into it as well.

I am not a Illini fan and I can take Lovie or leave him. But I do hope Illinois is turning a corner. It's a good thing to see them going to a bowl game. It's a step in the right direction anyway.

With all that said, yes, the Tribune could have at least mentioned the games. But, the Bob Sakamoto days are long gone.

All I do is stick up for my school. the other business was an idea to raise ratings.
Ratings? You mean as in TV ratings? Are you serious? This isn't the NFL, it's high school football. There aren't any "ratings" to speak of.

You would have pretty much the same amount of people watching the games on TV regardless of order.

You probably would like to see the 7A game moved up so you could get there to watch the game earlier and get back home earlier.

Reactions: juschill
Ratings? You mean as in TV ratings? Are you serious? This isn't the NFL, it's high school football. There aren't any "ratings" to speak of.

You would have pretty much the same amount of people watching the games on TV regardless of order.

You probably would like to see the 7A game moved up so you could get there to watch the game earlier and get back home earlier.
I’d agree with this, the people that are going to watch will watch.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Just because you call it meaningless, doesn't make it so. It isn't meaningless to the players, their families and coaches who participate in those games. Many states have end of season games between two in-state schools. It does mean something.

Let me ask you a question. Which drew a larger audience at the stadium and on TV? NW and the U of I or all the high school championship games put together? I found myself watching more college football on Saturday because of the match ups, than I did HS games. But the crappy production of the games did play into it as well.

I am not a Illini fan and I can take Lovie or leave him. But I do hope Illinois is turning a corner. It's a good thing to see them going to a bowl game. It's a step in the right direction anyway.

With all that said, yes, the Tribune could have at least mentioned the games. But, the Bob Sakamoto days are long gone.

Two mediocre teams nfor a trophy most folks never heard of. FYI - the leasding alma mater of Trib reporters is the Medill School at Northwetern.

[QUOTE="LTHSALUM76, post: 232948, member:

You probably would like to see the 7A game moved up so you could get there to watch the game earlier and get back home earlier.[/QUOTE]

Who do you think you are presuming anything for me? You're just some bully. When I ned your advice, I'll throw a rock.

I think that there are too many conferences in the state that have multiple potential state championship contenders to change the structure of the finals too much. For example, the Northwest Illini has had teams in the 1A and 2A finals in the same year, so presumably the fans of that conference would prefer the schools play back to back 1A & 2A. Other conferences have similar possibilities (ICE with Wilmington/Coal City, Big Northern with Byron/GK or SV). The big Catholic powers presumably would not want to go Friday & Saturday...

So to flip the schedule for Friday to have 4A at 10, 3A at 1, 2A at 4 & 1A at 7 would be fine...but to play 1A & 3A on Friday and 2A & 4A on Saturday makes little sense.

[QUOTE="LTHSALUM76, post: 232948, member:

Who do you think you are presuming anything for me? You're just some bully. When I ned your advice, I'll throw a rock.[/QUOTE]
Wow, aren't you a sensitive little guy? This is your definition of bullying?

I didn't say there is anything wrong with getting there earlier and getting out earlier. It doesn't make you a weirdo if you do. Personally, I think the best time slots for the games are the second and third games of the day. I think the first is too early. But I also think it is probably hard for the players to wait around all day to play the last game.

First, you complained about the games being in Champaign. Then they were moved closer and now you want the order changed. Do yourself a favor and stop complaining. Just go with it. Relax and type slower. That way you won't make all the mistakes you are making in your posts. Slow down tiger.

Two mediocre teams nfor a trophy most folks never heard of. FYI - the leasding alma mater of Trib reporters is the Medill School at Northwetern.
Look at these keyboard mistakes. Slow down. Your heart rate must be around 150 BPM. Get rid of the espresso from Starbucks or wherever and chill. Stop breathing through your mouth and relax and think good thoughts.:)

By the way, if you were in the 21st century you would know, the Tribune has online articles from the games dated 11/30/2019 and 12/01/2019 that you can read. So, to say they didn't cover it was misleading or ignorance on your part. But for you, I guess it's easier to throw the Sunday Tribune at the wall instead of the computer.

Reactions: juschill
I'm sorry MC63 but every time you post recently this is what comes to my mind.

You replying to other posters like:

th

Reactions: mchsalumni
Wow I guess I should be honored, it’s not every thread that gets fully hijacked.

I think this is the first time your gold standard has been liberated. Can you imagine if everyone numbered their thoughts? We'd be at point number 750 by now.

Wow I guess I should be honored, it’s not every thread that gets fully hijacked.
Just people coming down from their HS football high. I think it happens every year. I enjoyed the season, glad I got to attend 3 playoff games, including Warren.

This is predominately a CCL board. Some, not the majority, don’t recognize the fact that there are a bunch of quality programs beyond Cook county (see MC63).
Others recognize these facts but don’t know much about some of the fine programs you have in mind. These posters are unlikely to post about teams they don’t know much about. It is up to you to post and educate us. Please do!!!

Most of us have limited access to small school information.

I've been on Edgys since 98' I believe and it had posters from all over.It's just been in recent years it's leaned to a CCL board.There used to be many posters from schools all over .I think many just got tired of the bashing and just gave up posting here.
I am happy to see people like Wilmatucky,Coalertown,Pantherewildcat and the others keeping us up to date on the games they watch. Most of the Sterling fans are great too .
I got to meet some great posters on this board over the years too. Sometimes it gets carried away(especially playoff time) but it's ok. I hope more will come back and post as in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT