ADVERTISEMENT

What Class is St. Laurence?

ramblinman

Jul 18, 2001
For classification purposes, the IHSA takes the enrollment reported to the ISBE from the year before. Well, last year, St. Laurence was an all boys school. Here is what is currently on the IHSA website about St. Laurence:

Enrollment: 1022 (B) / 1686.30 (multiplied)

Conference(s): Chicago Catholic

Nickname(s): Vikings (boys), (girls)

Note the (B) on the enrollment line? That means their enrollment as a single gender boys school has been doubled before it was multiplied to 1686.30. So, according to the above, Laurence is still a single gender school of 511 boys. Of course, they are not. They are a coed school, which the IHSA acknowledges above in the nickname(s) line and elsewhere on its website.

Currently, the IHSA website shows Laurence as a 6A school with a multiplied enrollment of 1686.30. However, that number is based on their last year all male enrollment being doubled. Depending on what their actual coed enrollment is before the multiplier, Laurence could be a 5A school.

And what about their girls teams? According to the IHSA volleyball assignments, St. Laurence is in 3A for girls volleyball. Again according to the IHSA, schools with enrollments of between 515 and 1,324 are in 3A for girls volleyball. How can Laurence be in 3A in GVB if their enrollment for football classification purposes is 1686.30?

What football class are the Vikings in and why? Has there been a ruling on this from the IHSA that I missed?

Last edited:
Classification is based on previous year enrollment I believe.

Classification is based on previous year enrollment I believe.
I understand, but last year they were a single gender school which they are not anymore. How can you double the boys enrollment of a school that isn't all boys?

I understand, but last year they were a single gender school which they are not anymore. How can you double the boys enrollment of a school that isn't all boys?
Because it was all boys last year.

I'm pretty dense sometimes, but seems to me like they are simply using the enrollment formula based on last year's numbers - just like everyone else. Not seeing any shenanigans going on here.

I'm pretty dense sometimes, but seems to me like they are simply using the enrollment formula based on last year's numbers - just like everyone else. Not seeing any shenanigans going on here.

Yes, it looks that way for the boys. As for shenanigans, I think an argument can be made that Laurence shouldn't have their 2016 enrollment doubled in 2017 for classification purposes because they are no longer a single gender school.

Also, using last year's enrollment numbers from Queen of Peace for the Laurence girls teams can't be fair since Laurence did not enroll a freshman class of girls. Laurence took in transfers from Queen of Peace only, a school of 288 girls that closed last year. Some, not all, of the remaining three Peace classes of girls transferred over to Laurence as seniors, juniors and sophomores this year. There can't be more than 175 or so girls in Laurence currently. Why are they classed in 3A in girls volleyball? THAT looks like shenanigans to me.

As far as the enrollment number for boys sports, that seems pretty cut and dry. Last year's numbers are used to determine this year's classification. Next year classified as a coed they will actually benefit if there is a big disparity in the boys to girls ratio.

I see your point with regards to the girls classification. Seems like perhaps they should be using the same number as the boys, since in most cases a coed school will be roughly 50/50. Is there any precedent to a situation like this and how was it handled?

Someone simply notify the IHSA and they'll adjust it. They do that when there are drastic changes in enrollment. In 2004 I believe it was Bradley who cried to the IHSA who then forced us into 8A.

Someone simply notify the IHSA and they'll adjust it. They do that when there are drastic changes in enrollment. In 2004 I believe it was Bradley who cried to the IHSA who then forced us into 8A.
LWE was 7a before LWN students came and increased the enrollment. IHSA automatically put us at 8a last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT