ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Prediction-Week 14

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
4A Final-Friday 7pm
Rochester (13-0) vs Burbank St Laurence (10-3)
After several weeks of great weather, the high in Bloomington for Friday is projected to be only 38. By the end of the 4A game, the temperature will probably have dropped to the low 30's though the wind is projected to be only 5 to 10 mph.

Rochester regular season games versus playoff teams: Beat 5A Qualifier Peoria (40-14), Beat 5A Qualifier Decatur MacArthur (49-21), Beat 4A Qualifier Lincoln (55-0), Beat 6A Quarterfinalist Chatham Glenwood (63-21), and Beat 5A Round of 16 SHG (31-21).

Rochester playoff games: Beat Lincoln (59-14), Beat Coal City (45-3), Beat Breese Central (49-13), and Beat Murphysboro (42-14).

Burbank St Laurence regular season versus playoff teams: Lost to 5A Semifinalist Wheaton St Francis (42-28), Beat 5A Semifinalist Providence Catholic (31-24), Lost to 7A Qualifier Chicago St Rita (20-9), and lost to 3A Semifinalist Lombard Montini (24-17).

Burbank St Laurence playoff games: Beat Chicago Vocational (64-0), Beat Dixon (31-21), Beat IC Catholic (24-20), and Beat Wheaton Academy (31-30 2OT).

After much discussion this year of a potential IC Catholic vs Rochester 4A final, St Laurence scored a late TD in the Quarterfinals to pull off a 24-20 upset of IC. The Vikings followed that win up last week with another thriller, beating Wheaton Academy 31-30 by blocking an extra point in the second OT. St Laurence is led by RB Aaron Ball (1,484 yards rushing, 21 total TD's) and QB Evan Les (1,037 yards passing/9 TD's and 486 yards rushing/6 TD's). The Vikings have an additional weapon in K Colin Bagley, who has 10 Field Goals this year with a long of 48 yards.

Rochester has been led by RB Nolan Mrozowski (1,141 yards rushing, 24 total TD's), WR Henry Buecker (1,030 yards receiving, 17 total TD's), and QB Bryan Zulauf (2,234 yards passing/29 TD's and 289 yards rushing/5 TD's). After missing the first seven weeks of the season with a knee injury, WR/QB Parker Gillespie has a total of 7 TD's.

This is Rochester's first trip to the finals since 2019, when this year's Seniors were in 8th grade. St Laurence last was in the finals in 1979.

After losing in the semifinals the last two years to SHG and giving up a total of 105 points in those games, I said at the beginning of this season that the Rockets would go as far as their defense would take them. The 2010 championship team is generally regarded as Rochester's best ever defense, giving up 145 points in 14 games. Heading into the Friday final, the 2023 Rockets defense has given up only 127 points and has 30 Interceptions. The strength of the defense has been particularly helpful in games where the offense struggled with penalties and/or turnovers (SHG and Coal City). The defense has the chance to make a closing statement Friday but will be tested by an excellent Running Back in Aaron Ball. The Vikings stats indicate they prefer to run the ball, but their QB has also thrown for over 1,000 yards.

St Laurence played a difficult regular season schedule and won their last two playoff contests on the game's final play. I expect to them play at their best. Rochester came off the bus in Peoria Week 1 with a chip on their shoulder left over from the 2022 loss to SHG. With a few exceptions, they've performed at a consistently high level all season. Rochester 34 St Laurence 19 (Cal Preps: 35-24 Rochester, Massey: 42-28 Rochester).

Last edited:
Perhaps in a bit of overcompensation for their Week 1 prediction of Peoria beating Rochester by 4 TD's, the Peoria Journal Star staff has predicted Rochester to win 49-20.

Reactions: cigaros
These predictions can't be real. I thought the consensus was that everyone was on StL and that Rochester got no respect from anyone.
No one has claimed that. You need a life and some comprehension skills.

As for the talk from actual Rochester fans...some of us prefer to sit back and listen to the CCL/Northern IL fans tell us all the reasons we can't win.

This comment says it all. Rocket fans will be eerily quiet and let the CCL run its mouths. “Rochester hasn’t seen a run game like this”. “CCL is the best in the state”.
I'll just leave this here for you two. Claim no one thinks you can win even when everyone is on Rochester and then say you never said that.

• Haha
I'll just leave this here for you two. Claim no one thinks you can win even when everyone is on Rochester and then say you never said that.
Read mine again slowly and my full post....past tense is the key. I can't slow it down any more for you.

And no one has said there is a consensus that Rochester will lose.....which you claimed.

Read mine again slowly and my full post....past tense is the key. I can't slow it down any more for you.

And no one has said there is a consensus that Rochester will lose.....which you claimed.
And you said "just about every year". If this year isn't one of them then why even bring it up?

And you said "just about every year". If this year isn't one of them then why even bring it up?
Look...I'm really sorry you took my post the wrong way. I meant to confer in my post the reasoning behind why Rochester fans MAY not have been commenting. They sit back and wait for the comments about how we won't win. Yes, it has not happened this time like it has in the past (with the games I mentioned). That kinda proves my point.

So again....yes, this time that isn't happening. Great...hopefully DL"s reputation is now preceding him. I, for one, don't take the slightest offense to someone questioning if we can/will win. It's just fun when we do see those comments and prove them wrong....this won't be one of those years.

No offense...but I really don't want to argue about this anymore. If you won't beleive my explanation here, I can't explain it any better. Have a great day!

Rochester 59 St Laurence 38
After a great 13 weeks, the Rochester defense had a difficult time stopping St Laurence's offense tonight. They gave up the most points of all season, several big pass plays, and Ball consistently had solid running gains. He rarely went down when first hit. Very few negative yardage plays were generated by the defense. However, they were able to get a few key 4th down stops and force two critical turnovers.

The story of the night was the Rocket offense. After some issues throughout the season with being consistent and having too many penalties, the offense performed at its highest-level tonight. They scored on all but one possession before taking a knee at the end of the game. Bryan Zulauf was sharp all night throwing three TD's, Nolan Mrozowski ran for 2, Parker Gillespie ran for 2, and Henry Buecker had one running and one receiving score. The offensive line was spectacular opening big holes on most running plays. Also, credit Derek's play calling, resulting in the most points Rochester has scored in a championship game.

It was a very satisfying win particularly for the 22 Seniors who recovered from last year's devastating loss to SHG in the semifinals to lead the team to run the table this year. By winning a state title, the Seniors also avoid being the first class since 2010 to not win at least one championship.

Last edited:
Looking ahead to 2024.
Big changes coming to the CS8 with the addition of QND and the split of the conference into East and West divisions.

East Division- Rochester, Chatham, U High, MacArthur, Lincoln, and Eisenhower.
West Division- SHG, Springfield, Southeast, Lanphier, QND, and Jacksonville.

My understanding of next year's schedule is that Weeks 1-2 are for out of conference opponents or crossover division games if out of conference games can't be scheduled.

Weeks 3-7 are for games within the team's division.

Weeks 8-9 are for crossover games against teams from the other division.

Lanphier, which has gone 1-26 since the spring COVID season, will have a new coach for the '24 season. At this time, this is the only coaching change I'm aware of.

'23 was the season of new QB's for the majority of the CS8 teams. In '24, Rochester, Chatham, U High, Springfield, Southeast, Lanphier, and QND (I think) should return their starting QB's.

Week 1 games will start on August 30th. Only 279 more days if my math is correct.

As my fellow commentor stated, reading comprehension is key. We are going to run out of balloon animals and crayons for you. The comment was related to post EVERY year from the CCL. And if you didn't see the comments, it's probably because you type with one finger and move your lips while reading.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT