ADVERTISEMENT

Were IHSA playoff games ever played at these sites? Other Stadium Questions

superac777

Aug 28, 2006
The playoffs started in 1974.I was surprised to see Rockne host a playoff game.So I was wondering.Gately,Hanson,Rockne,Lane have hosted IHSA playoff games.Have Eckersall,Winnemac,Stagg ever hosted a IHSA playoff game? Also do they still play Frosh/Football games at Dan Ryan Woods.I know they used to.Also Do they still play Football games at Kroc Field? I read about it not long ago but have not heard of anybody playing there anymore. Hales still host some games each year & Plunkett Athletic Complex which sounds new plus it looks like many schools are building their own fields now which is nice.

The playoffs started in 1974.I was surprised to see Rockne host a playoff game.So I was wondering.Gately,Hanson,Rockne,Lane have hosted IHSA playoff games.Have Eckersall,Winnemac,Stagg ever hosted a IHSA playoff game? Also do they still play Frosh/Football games at Dan Ryan Woods.I know they used to.Also Do they still play Football games at Kroc Field? I read about it not long ago but have not heard of anybody playing there anymore. Hales still host some games each year & Plunkett Athletic Complex which sounds new plus it looks like many schools are building their own fields now which is nice.

MC played Springfield Centennial at Eckersall in the mid to late 90s. We were also the visiting team there against a CPS team at least once in the same era.

Reactions: superac777
I wanna say Jc played a public league team in the playoffs at Eckersol in the mid 90s

2001 the St. Rita Mustangs played the Mather Rangers @ Winnemac Stadium in the first round of the state playoffs.

I knew Gately was closed awhile for renovations so maybe that opened things up for other stadiums.

Yes it does. It is terrible.

I haven't been there in over 10 years, it was horrible then, it has got to be atrocious now.

Why haven't they replaced it like Gately and Lane ?

I haven't been there in over 10 years, it was horrible then, it has got to be atrocious now.

No clue why Raby is playing a state semi final at that dump called Hanson Stadium...that game should be at Gately or at worse Lane Tech. Nothing is happening Saturday. If anything make their game a doubleheader with the CPS Prep Bowl Final. Proximity to Raby should not matter

Was there two years ago and wore my basketball shoes to do the game.

A college classmate (who had gone to Weber and played at Hanson) related stories to me from his dad and grand-dad about the huge crowds that would attend prep games at Hanson after World War II.

The house of Pain aka Hanson Stadium! Will always be a fan of the stadium but new turf is needed and has been needed at Hanson for many years.

MC played Springfield Centennial at Eckersall in the mid to late 90s. We were also the visiting team there against a CPS team at least once in the same era.
Technically that was Champaign Centennial in '98. Also played Oswego there in 5A semi in '99 ,Rock Island in '96 and Simeon '97.

Last edited:
I went to Hansen for a CoM/SP game back in late 90's, I know the turf itself sucked, I didn't like my son playing on it, but I thought it was really cool old place.

When I started freelancing for the Southtown, I remember covering JCA-Harper in the first round of the '96 playoffs at Stagg. I also covered some Carmel games at Eckersall including the Champaign Centennial game that was previously mentioned. Also, I think the '95 Rita-Lake View game I covered was at Winnemac.

IMO Hanson should be shut down until the turf is replaced. Right now there are 2 inch or more gaps in between some of the numbers and tears all over. Find a donor if necessary if money can be found by the park district to build turf soccer fields all over then I'm sure there's money for field turf at hanson.

IMO Hanson should be shut down until the turf is replaced. Right now there are 2 inch or more gaps in between some of the numbers and tears all over. Find a donor if necessary if money can be found by the park district to build turf soccer fields all over then I'm sure there's money for field turf at hanson.

It's unique: they re-surfaced the track, leaving it a quarter mile, and it still has a 200-yard straight.

In 2009 Herscher and Dyett played at Stagg... was a super wet weekend and the field was a mud pit..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT