ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick Em Week 3

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
How is it week 3 already? I don't know about you all, but the season is flying by way too quickly. Need to slow things down, including the clocks at some of these games. My biggest takeaway from this past week's game are the amount of times that the clock is improperly running....somehow we need referees to not wind the clock so damn much! On to the week 3 games. Normally we highlight Thursday and Friday games, but this week let's just focus on Saturday.

Dunbar Mightymen vs. Dusable Panthers, Saturday 10:00 AM at Eckersall
The location choice of this game illustrates the beauty of the CPL. Dunbar is located on 30th and King Drive. Dusable is located on 49th and Wabash. Therefore, it obviously makes sense that this game would be at Eckersall, which is on 82nd street (also over 2 miles east of either school). If we wanted to find a central location for this game, it seems like Mandrake Park (referenced by my buddy GhostoftheGhost this season) would have been a better location. Oh well, can't win em all. Unless you are the Mightymen, then you'll win it all, and you'll take Dusable Lake Shore Drive home!

Phoenix Firebirds vs. UCCS Woodlawn Maroons, Saturday 1:30 at Lane
The redcoats at Lane are going to be pumped for this game. A team whose nickname is a shade of red!!! What could be hotter than that?? Oh wait, fire is hotter. Phoenix takes care of business, which pisses off the redcoats, but what pisses them off more is that Phoenix will make sure that their lead stays below 40 because they want the redcoats to work as long as humanly possible.

Steinmetz Silver Streaks vs. Prosser Falcons, Saturday 3:00 at Steinmetz
The Metz knows what they are doing! You want a slot all to yourself in the CPL, let's go Saturday at 3:00 (someone else actually is in that spot last week, but that game doesn't make this post). What exactly is a silver streak? After a deep dive, I discovered that it is a tribute to the namesake of the school, who was an electrical engineer. Apparently, a student devised the school symbol of a lightning bolt and wrote silver streaks inside the lightning bolt. No one knows exactly why it was included. Well, if you can't figure out what your nickname means, how can you figure out how to win a football game?? Because it's CPL, that's how! Take the Metz and please don't go streaking!

Lindblom Eagles vs. Noble Johnson Pumas, Saturday 4:15 at Sarah Goode
Fall is in bloom and the leaves are turning colors! Oh wait, that hasn't happened yet, global warming has kept it hotter than hell at football games so far this season! Maybe that's why it still feels like it is week 1. Fall is the best season, but can't get here if summer won't go away! No bloom (unless it's a bloomin onion) means no win for the Eagles. Take the Pumas and go buy yourself some Puma shoes after the game at the Ford City mall on Cicero avenue.

Game of the Week: Noble Academy Griffins vs. Noble Muchin Mountain Lions, Saturday 4:00 at Winnemac
Last week, we referenced CPL teams making their debut in week 2. Well, hopefully we have one of those in week 3! Noble Academy was supposed to make their debut last week at St. Laurence, but forfeited that game. That means there are no film sessions for the Mountain Lions this week. If they want to watch their own film, it may not be any better as they have been outscored 109-6 by Argo and United. So, we have a team making their debut and a team that has scored 6 points on the year. I don't know about you all, but this has a recipe for a barnburner game at Winnemac that will come down to missing a 2 point conversion because neither team has a kicker. Grab yourself an iced pumpkin cream chai latte from Starbucks and get ready to watch a classic! Take the Mountain Lions!

Re Dunbar v DuSable, which would have been a great game CPS Central Division game 40 years ago, what became of Hales' football field?

Is it Thursday already? Man, time sure flies when you are trying to finish work and get to a CPL 330 Thursday start! Plus, it's hot CPL on CPL action from here on in! On to the picks!

Dunbar Mightymen vs. Dusable Panthers, Saturday 10:00 AM at Eckersall
Every year, I love to remind everyone that Mr. T wrestled and played football at Dunbar. Every year I love to say, "I pity the fool who doesn't pick the Mightymen in this one!" This week, I'm going with a BA Baracus quote. "I got no time for jibba jabba!"
Mightymen!

Phoenix Firebirds vs. UCCS Woodlawn Maroons, Saturday 1:30 at Lane
There was a time when calling someone a Maroon was a real insult. You'd be a real maroon if you pick the Phoenix in this one.
Maroons!

Steinmetz Silver Streaks vs. Prosser Falcons, Saturday 3:00 at Steinmetz
Game at Steinmetz? Nope. Not attending this one until it is back at Hansen where it belongs.
Streaks!

Lindblom Eagles vs. Noble Johnson Pumas, Saturday 4:15 at Sarah Goode
A few years ago, I'm at the bar in Vito and Nick's. Dude next to me is just raving about the new facilities at Sarah Goode. How they are the nicest in the CPL, how SG is going to be a CPL power, blah, blah, blah....So, I roll by there after I finish eating. Soccer game going on. Kind of a cool vibe with the trains rolling by. Don't remember anything about the game except Taft lost on Penalty Kicks. Only remember that because the Taft fans made a point to loudly say "Taft always loses on Penalty Kicks!"
Pumas

Game of the Week: Noble Academy Griffins vs. Noble Muchin Mountain Lions, Saturday 4:00 at Winnemac
Fun fact. Mountain Lions, Pumas, Cougars, and Catamounts are just different names for the same animal. That disappoints me so much. Here I am thinking these are all formidable beasts, only to find out they are the same cat? Such a letdown. With that said, this week....
Give me the Cougars!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT