ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early CCL-ESCC Conference Predictions

I'll take the first crack at it. I admittedly don't have access to all non-con's but I will factor in the ones I know of :

Blue
Loyola 9-0 (3-0) Quite a program & look to have plenty coming back. Poised to control this division for foreseeable future.

BR 8-1/7-2/6-3 (2-1/1-2) The cupboard is not as bare as some say. With Jefferson & Iraci back the defense will have capable leaders & the junior QB will lead a more pass happy attack. I think we have Lindblom & Crete as winnable non-con's, In conference, I think we beat Marist at home, MC will be a toss-up/swing game. Trip to JCA should be fun.

MC 7-2/6-3 (2-1/1-2) Trip to Maine South if still on is tough, I'm going to give Loyola the W and again I make the week 9 game with BR a toss-up

Marist 6-3 (0-3) Dont know about non-con, I know they've been playing/handling Mishawaka, Ind the last few years. I think they lose a lot but are consistently tough, but someone has to take the pipe and I think due to the road game at BR it might be the Redhawks in year 1. Still should comfortably be a playoff team.

Green
Montini 8-1 (3-0) Home games vs SR & Provi should help, trip to MC probably a tough one for the Bronco.

Providence 7-2 (2-1) Dont know about non-con's but trips to Bronco & BR look daunting.

St Rita 6-3/5-4/4-5 (1-2) This is a tough one, they bit off a lot with JC & Richards non-con & if those go south like this past year, the Mustang could again be fighting for its life. Trip to Wilmette is never an easy one either.

Notre Dame 3-6 (0-3) I hope they schedule themselves a couple cupcakes in the non-con's because the schedule makers did these guys no favors. I know they lose Gavin in addition to getting Marist & Naz with Provi, SR & Montini.

In the lower conferences I'm just gonna throw darts
Orange looks like Naz's to lose.
In the White JC should run wild.
Purple I really have no info so blindly I'll say Pat's or Viator.
And in the Red I'll take Leo in the pillow fight.

I'll take the first crack at it. I admittedly don't have access to all non-con's but I will factor in the ones I know of :

Blue
Loyola 9-0 (3-0) Quite a program & look to have plenty coming back. Poised to control this division for foreseeable future.

BR 8-1/7-2/6-3 (2-1/1-2) The cupboard is not as bare as some say. With Jefferson & Iraci back the defense will have capable leaders & the junior QB will lead a more pass happy attack. I think we have Lindblom & Crete as winnable non-con's, In conference, I think we beat Marist at home, MC will be a toss-up/swing game. Trip to JCA should be fun.

MC 7-2/6-3 (2-1/1-2) Trip to Maine South if still on is tough, I'm going to give Loyola the W and again I make the week 9 game with BR a toss-up

Marist 6-3 (0-3) Dont know about non-con, I know they've been playing/handling Mishawaka, Ind the last few years. I think they lose a lot but are consistently tough, but someone has to take the pipe and I think due to the road game at BR it might be the Redhawks in year 1. Still should comfortably be a playoff team.

Green
Montini 8-1 (3-0) Home games vs SR & Provi should help, trip to MC probably a tough one for the Bronco.

Providence 7-2 (2-1) Dont know about non-con's but trips to Bronco & BR look daunting.

St Rita 6-3/5-4/4-5 (1-2) This is a tough one, they bit off a lot with JC & Richards non-con & if those go south like this past year, the Mustang could again be fighting for its life. Trip to Wilmette is never an easy one either.

Notre Dame 3-6 (0-3) I hope they schedule themselves a couple cupcakes in the non-con's because the schedule makers did these guys no favors. I know they lose Gavin in addition to getting Marist & Naz with Provi, SR & Montini.

In the lower conferences I'm just gonna throw darts
Orange looks like Naz's to lose.
In the White JC should run wild.
Purple I really have no info so blindly I'll say Pat's or Viator.
And in the Red I'll take Leo in the pillow fight.
How much does BR have coming back that were starters? My buddy at DLS says BR will start slow and finish strong. Says he looks for another title run the year after next. And maybe the following year too. MC is a harder read depending on how the the head coach develops. SR will beat JCA and Richards based upon how much they graduated. Loyola is Loyola. He sees a lot of 7-2's. PC better do something this year coming up. Shame Marist game is in middle of the season. It was a great opener.

He hates the merger. A lot of new film (dvd's) to watch. ESCC teams are a new animal to him. And he's got Phillips sniffing around some of his kids.

Congrats on the season. It was a pleasure to watch a classic CCL Blue game. I just hope the new league still plays like that.

Reactions: go_rice
MC doesn't bring back a ton of starters, but are set at many positions. Should start a lot of juniors from a loaded class -had 7 sophs up this year.

Offensively, Grant back at LG and Jamison at Center. O'Mahony had a ton of starts when Szesniak broke hand at TE. Livermore back at WR. Technically 4 starters back but set at spots like QB with Lynch and I'd imagine a Moore/Odelugge rotation at RB.

Defensively, technically only 2 starters back In Swain and Odeluge at LB. Davis rotated in at DE a little, Obrien had some time at safety. So lose alot but a ton of talent coming up in the pipeline.

Schedule is tougher: at Maine S, Loyola, Montini, At Marist, BR. I expect a higher scoring team as pieces that fit the new system start to fill in. Had excellent transition year year 1. Defense might take a little while to get set.

Last edited:
How much does BR have coming back that were starters? My buddy at DLS says BR will start slow and finish strong. Says he looks for another title run the year after next. And maybe the following year too. MC is a harder read depending on how the the head coach develops. SR will beat JCA and Richards based upon how much they graduated. Loyola is Loyola. He sees a lot of 7-2's. PC better do something this year coming up. Shame Marist game is in middle of the season. It was a great opener.

He hates the merger. A lot of new film (dvd's) to watch. ESCC teams are a new animal to him. And he's got Phillips sniffing around some of his kids.

Congrats on the season. It was a pleasure to watch a classic CCL Blue game. I just hope the new league still plays like that.
Admittedly, don't have much back on offense, that was a senior dominated bunch, but many thought the Jr RB should have played this year. He will be very good if he sticks with football, but baseball is where his bread is buttered having already signed with Oklahoma, so he may put the helmet away. As I said before, Jefferson & Iraci were stars on this year's defense & I think both will be All-Area, possibly All-State next year. The QB is very good but there's a freshman QB who played up with the sophs this year that may get a look to run the offense for the next 3. He's that good. We'll see come August.

I'm going to be interested to follow Marist next year. The merger challenges them as much as anyone (with the possible exception of ND) from the ESCC. They are now going to be playing schools closer to their enrollment. This current Sr. class was stellar for them. I think the next best class in the school is the current frosh. The schedule will be very unforgiving, and they don't project to be as good as they were this year. Will current frosh Dontrelle Jackson start at QB?

ND loses Gavin but they return the soph QB and the current soph and junior classes were very successful on the lower levels. However, like Marist, their schedule is significantly upgraded. Interesting year for the Dons coming up.

Naz should roll in their division. They have plenty coming back. And, as has been stated, I have no idea why they are in the 3rd division.

Are the rumors true at Benet? Will there be a change and an exodus of talent, as some have suggested on this board. If not, they have a good Jr. class.

JCA's schedule gives them a chance, but they only have 13 juniors on this year's roster. How will Kenyetta Williams recover from the knee injury? They have an improved soph class (finished 7-2 on JV after going 0-9 during an injury-filled frosh year). Their current frosh are loaded. Best class they've had in a number of years....both talent and numbers. I would expect many sophs on varsity. I'll be interested to see what type of frosh class they get next year. On the heels of an unexpected run to a state title, things are looking up at the Hill. If they can stack another good freshmen class on top of this years, they will be on the road back to being a strong program.

The rest of the ESCC teams are a crap shoot. Pat's seems to be on the rise. The current coach is doing some nice things. Viator was way down this year. MCC is battling low numbers and another coaching change. Carmel is still trying to recover from their coaching change. The new coach needs a good frosh class to get the ball rolling in a positive direction. And, at least Marian of the Heights now has a chance with the schedule.

Admittedly, don't have much back on offense, that was a senior dominated bunch, but many thought the Jr RB should have played this year. He will be very good if he sticks with football, but baseball is where his bread is buttered having already signed with Oklahoma, so he may put the helmet away. As I said before, Jefferson & Iraci were stars on this year's defense & I think both will be All-Area, possibly All-State next year. The QB is very good but there's a freshman QB who played up with the sophs this year that may get a look to run the offense for the next 3. He's that good. We'll see come August.
Saw Lausch vs Marmion. I'd feel comfortable if he was your starter for 3 years at QB.

Reactions: go_rice
MC doesn't bring back a ton of starters, but are set at many positions. Should start a lot of juniors from a loaded class -had 7 sophs up this year.

Offensively, Grant back at LG and Jamison at Center. O'Mahony had a ton of starts when Szesniak broke hand at TE. Livermore back at WR. Technically 4 starters back but set at spots like QB with Lynch and I'd imagine a Moore/Odelugge rotation at RB.

Defensively, technically only 2 starters back In Swain and Odeluge at LB. Davis rotated in at DE a little, Obrien had some time at safety. So lose alot but a ton of talent coming up in the pipeline.

Schedule is tougher: at Maine S, Loyola, Montini, At Marist, BR. I expect a higher scoring team as pieces that fit the new system start to fill in. Had excellent transition year year 1. Defense might take a little while to get set.
Do you expect Coach Dave to return as defensive coordinator or will he retire now that his son is graduating? That will be a huge key to the defense

Do you expect Coach Dave to return as defensive coordinator or will he retire now that his son is graduating? That will be a huge key to the defense
That's a great question, Dean, do you think Jordan will eventually start turning over that staff? Also, there's a lot of rumblings out of Burbank that the coaches of the other 2 major sports are not happy with Coach Blackmon about lets say what he brings in to the coffers vs what he's giving out, and that Coach Frank's elevation may just be a matter of when, not if. Does Dave head to Burbank then also since his family attachments are over?

Last edited:
Are the rumors true at Benet? Will there be a change and an exodus of talent, as some have suggested on this board.

Can someone elaborate on this without naming names? I've hear this a few times and cannot get confirmation from my guys from Benet.

Can someone elaborate on this without naming names? I've hear this a few times and cannot get confirmation from my guys from Benet.

I have heard some “rumors” that several players are thinking of making the switch back to public. Not sure if that will actually happen of course as things can change back and forth many times over in the next 6 months!

Loyola will be very good as usual. Marist program loaded with upcoming talent from lower levels and current juniors. Interested to see MC next year as well. Should also be very good. Those are the top three. Non-con games will be difficult to schedule for all.

That's a great question, Dean, do you think Jordan will eventually start turning over that staff? Also, there's a lot of rumblings out of Burbank that the coaches of the other 2 major sports are not happy with Coach Blackmon about lets say what he brings in to the coffers vs what he's giving out, and that Coach Frank's elevation may just be a matter of when, not if. Does Dave head to Burbank then also since his family attachments are over?
Already heard he is traveling West....

I have heard some “rumors” that several players are thinking of making the switch back to public. Not sure if that will actually happen of course as things can change back and forth many times over in the next 6 months!
Kids may transfer for other reasons - like not being able to handle the books - but I have not met a football parent yet that sent their kid to Benet because of current HC. If he leaves I don’t expect an outflow of talent.

Reactions: bronco man
BR's future non-cons are...

W1 @ Hillcrest (12-1 this year)
W2 vs Chicago Perspectives (5-4 this year)

Defense also returns LB Jones and DL Roche. DB Carter also contributed in rotation. Will definitely lean on defense during early part of the season. Offense loses 11 starters but safe to assume they will be more of a spread pass attack with Smyth and their upcoming skills. OL will be the primary TBD over the off season.

Since there will no longer be conference/division champs, making the playoffs (7A?) and playing your best football in November should be the expectation at BR moving forward.

Loyola is Loyola they toyed with us this year with the 3 losses. They will be set as always.

I think MC Rita and Rice all have enough talent flowing up to keep them at a high level.

If the Marist soph QB sticks around they will be fine but these are now the non-Fitz classes so we will see what that recruiting and now the new schedule has in store. Their playoffs runs and conference domination shows they can play with the best of them.

The Rice QB is really good and a big, big kid. Huge arm and a decent runner. I think their offensive line will be the issue the next few years. If they grow them during their time there they will be fine. Isn't Jeffferson on defense a Junior and the Soph Love had some time back there. Moving to class 7A unless Saturday brings in 250+ can't hurt anything but maybe some egos.

I am not certain Rita has a QB coming up maybe the Junior but that could be their issue. They have plenty of speed in the backfield and are bringing in a new DC. That worked well for Rice this year.

MC has Lynch who should see 100% of his potential based on the fact his brother knows his stuff. Their lines will hold up and they have speed. If Dave sticks around they will be fine and won't miss a beat.

I heard the same exact thing about Laurence. That could be interesting as they are young and that talent could slip away. I think Blackmon has a kid there though.

BR's future non-cons are...

W1 @ Hillcrest (12-1 this year)
W2 vs Chicago Perspectives (5-4 this year)

Defense also returns LB Jones and DL Roche. DB Carter also contributed in rotation. Will definitely lean on defense during early part of the season. Offense loses 11 starters but safe to assume they will be more of a spread pass attack with Smyth and their upcoming skills. OL will be the primary TBD over the off season.

Since there will no longer be conference/division champs, making the playoffs (7A?) and playing your best football in November should be the expectation at BR moving forward.
Rice has Hall/Pettis/Phelan and Foster (who will be the WRs next year). 36 returns as an LB that got some good playing time too. Matejko should be a solid RB or WB next year and perhaps moved over to DB. Good 7-2 team coming up as Sophs

Loyola is Loyola they toyed with us this year with the 3 losses. They will be set as always.

I think MC Rita and Rice all have enough talent flowing up to keep them at a high level.

If the Marist soph QB sticks around they will be fine but these are now the non-Fitz classes so we will see what that recruiting and now the new schedule has in store. Their playoffs runs and conference domination shows they can play with the best of them.

The Rice QB is really good and a big, big kid. Huge arm and a decent runner. I think their offensive line will be the issue the next few years. If they grow them during their time there they will be fine. Isn't Jeffferson on defense a Junior and the Soph Love had some time back there. Moving to class 7A unless Saturday brings in 250+ can't hurt anything but maybe some egos.

I am not certain Rita has a QB coming up maybe the Junior but that could be their issue. They have plenty of speed in the backfield and are bringing in a new DC. That worked well for Rice this year.

MC has Lynch who should see 100% of his potential based on the fact his brother knows his stuff. Their lines will hold up and they have speed. If Dave sticks around they will be fine and won't miss a beat.

I heard the same exact thing about Laurence. That could be interesting as they are young and that talent could slip away. I think Blackmon has a kid there though.

Correct on Jefferson and Love. I was just expanding on go_rice's post. Will have multiple contributors back on defense. Hopefully, offense gels before Marist week 4. How many days away is that?

STL had a major rebuilding season, QB and RB both were Sophs. Blackmon built them from nothing to something, he earned a rebuilding season, they’ll wait and see how 2019 goes. I think any talk about Coach Frank taking over as head coach is silly. He’s 68 years old and just got his hips replaced. I don’t think he wants the every day grind and wear and tear that it takes to be a head coach. He’s starting his own mentoring business. I just don’t think they are going to invest in a Coach nearing 70 who runs a veer offense.

I’ve heard every rumor about Coach Dave. I don’t think he’s planning on leaving but I’m nowhere near close to him where he would confined that in me. He’s earned the right to do what he wants, but losing him would hurt the program more then losing Frank. Wait and see but don’t believe much you hear as rumors.

Last edited:
Reactions: caravan8

If Rita lines of scrimmages holds up next year, it can be a surprisingly, special year. I say that because Rita should be very, very solid at the skilled positions. If the QB is who I think it may be, then there will be a lot of excitement in the air at 77th and Western. And he will be a Junior next year.

Reactions: Gene K.
Roche is going to be really good on the DL, possibly both ways. Rice has a lot of good bullets to reload in that gun. Biggest hit they are taking is the Oline. All seniors I think. The sore spot from what I’ve seen and heard in their lower levels is their weak on the line. They just got to get a few kids on the weights and the protein shakes and see what happens in August

DeJarld should be a decent OG - may bring up a Soph next year on OL too. Jones at LB will be the best LB in conference (in my opinion)

If Rita lines of scrimmages holds up next year, it can be a surprisingly, special year. I say that because Rita should be very, very solid at the skilled positions. If the QB is who I think it may be, then there will be a lot of excitement in the air at 77th and Western. And he will be a Junior next year.
SR is stocked at RB. Lower level very good. Freshmen 6-3 were better than that. They played the three best OL on the sophomores. Will make playoffs. Better the next two years.

BR will be good and even better the next two years also.

My PC neighbors say they will be ok but believe they may ask to drop down a division. They are worried about the pipeline competing with the Lincoln Way's. Their testing numbers are important this weekend not for volume but for content.

MC Lynch had a nice first season. They will be fine. Solid. But if Dave leaves I hear Lynch already has someone in mind. But the job is Dave's if he wants to stay. Don't believe every rumor until it happens.

Marist will be competitive. I would like to see how they stand up over the next 4-5 years. Having local rivals will only enhance their attendance. BR I think is week 4? Now their prep will be like any other game, but that week will be crazy.

Last edited:
DeJarld should be a decent OG - may bring up a Soph next year on OL too. Jones at LB will be the best LB in conference (in my opinion)
If Odeluga doesn’t move to RB then yes he will be. Odeluga really tore it up as a Sophomore Linebacker all year but he may end up at at RB where I think he can be one of MC all time best, he’s just that good.

My way too early prediction for MC is very solid in 2019 and outstanding in 2020.

My PC neighbors say they will be ok but believe they may ask to drop down a division. They are worried about the pipeline completing with the Lincoln Way's. Their testing numbers are important this weekend not for volume but for content.
IMO, this would make sense. I'd switch them with Naz. But, is it even a possibility?

Provi lower levels looked to be a concern. I know lower levels mean nothing until they mean something. Remember when StL beat MC as Frosh years ago and it was a shock until that group was playing late into November and I think MC was done. This current Rice crop is another example. That is why I think Rita is fine going forward last two years have been really good for them.

St Laurence had great numbers at Frosh level and then a drop at Soph but they had a good number of Sophs playing up. They will have as much skill as anyone it will be about their line play.

Provi lower levels looked to be a concern. I know lower levels mean nothing until they mean something. Remember when StL beat MC as Frosh years ago and it was a shock until that group was playing late into November and I think MC was done. This current Rice crop is another example. That is why I think Rita is fine going forward last two years have been really good for them.

St Laurence had great numbers at Frosh level and then a drop at Soph but they had a good number of Sophs playing up. They will have as much skill as anyone it will be about their line play.
They just don't seem to grow them anymore at ST L - the big line guys I mean. We will have plenty of skilled players I imagine - we just need the boys to hit the weight room and dinner table in the off-season

Reactions: IgorStL
I'm going to be interested to follow Marist next year. The merger challenges them as much as anyone (with the possible exception of ND) from the ESCC. They are now going to be playing schools closer to their enrollment. This current Sr. class was stellar for them. I think the next best class in the school is the current frosh. The schedule will be very unforgiving, and they don't project to be as good as they were this year. Will current frosh Dontrelle Jackson start at QB?

ND loses Gavin but they return the soph QB and the current soph and junior classes were very successful on the lower levels. However, like Marist, their schedule is significantly upgraded. Interesting year for the Dons coming up.

Naz should roll in their division. They have plenty coming back. And, as has been stated, I have no idea why they are in the 3rd division.

Are the rumors true at Benet? Will there be a change and an exodus of talent, as some have suggested on this board. If not, they have a good Jr. class.

JCA's schedule gives them a chance, but they only have 13 juniors on this year's roster. How will Kenyetta Williams recover from the knee injury? They have an improved soph class (finished 7-2 on JV after going 0-9 during an injury-filled frosh year). Their current frosh are loaded. Best class they've had in a number of years....both talent and numbers. I would expect many sophs on varsity. I'll be interested to see what type of frosh class they get next year. On the heels of an unexpected run to a state title, things are looking up at the Hill. If they can stack another good freshmen class on top of this years, they will be on the road back to being a strong program.

The rest of the ESCC teams are a crap shoot. Pat's seems to be on the rise. The current coach is doing some nice things. Viator was way down this year. MCC is battling low numbers and another coaching change. Carmel is still trying to recover from their coaching change. The new coach needs a good frosh class to get the ball rolling in a positive direction. And, at least Marian of the Heights now has a chance with the schedule.

Definitely will be interesting to watch how Marist does. They have not fared well vs the other 3 teams in the new division in the last 5 seasons.
LA 0-2:losses in 8A final in '15 and '17 Q's, BR 1-4 :losses in '14, '16, '18 twice -no game in '15 and 0-1 vs an average MC team in '15. Total of 1-7. On top of that they now have lost a great class. Not sure on Jackson. I was told he played slot a little vs BR in semi. Marist had a junior QB play a couple series as well when Markett was out.

I would expect New to stay. My guess is some staff shake-up. I'm somewhat positive there was a Marist grad and JCA grad on staff for the 2018 season, and coaching is a small world, so rumors spread pretty easily that may or may not be true.

I'd be pretty surprised if kids went to Benet for football purposes only and are deciding to leave after a 6-4 season.

Reactions: Gene K.
This is asinine. Bring in to the coffers? The Queen of Hearts raffle is almost exclusively football parents, yet is an athletic department fundraiser. Lenti is not there to coach. StL's next coach is not in the building. I don't think he's been born yet.

Reactions: tmjgrady
They just don't seem to grow them anymore at ST L - the big line guys I mean. We will have plenty of skilled players I imagine - we just need the boys to hit the weight room and dinner table in the off-season
The O line will average 285 next year. There are big guys in the pipeline.

Reactions: tmjgrady
This is asinine. Bring in to the coffers? The Queen of Hearts raffle is almost exclusively football parents, yet is an athletic department fundraiser. Lenti is not there to coach. StL's next coach is not in the building. I don't think he's been born yet.
HAHAHAHA i hope you arent counting on the Queen of Hearts raffle to carry your athletic department. A quick check of Hinky Dink's will tell you that after 40 weeks, the StL Queen of Hearts is the lowest in the area and hasnt even hit $45,000. Cut that in half and you are barely getting 2 Wrightwood Bears in to play football for a year each for the Vikes. Way below Cajetan, Fisher and Catherine's which are grammar schools. Trust me, the talk of footballers getting a disproportionate number of free rides in Burbank is making the rounds.

Maybe StL can hit the shake-a-day at Hippo's or a scratch-off to really give the program a boost.

HAHAHAHA i hope you arent counting on the Queen of Hearts raffle to carry your athletic department. A quick check of Hinky Dink's will tell you that after 40 weeks, the StL Queen of Hearts is the lowest in the area and hasnt even hit $45,000. Cut that in half and you are barely getting 2 Wrightwood Bears in to play football for a year each for the Vikes. Way below Cajetan, Fisher and Catherine's which are grammar schools. Trust me, the talk of footballers getting a disproportionate number of free rides in Burbank is making the rounds.

Maybe StL can hit the shake-a-day at Hippo's or a scratch-off to really give the program a boost.

Actually after Caj hit none of them are all that great any longer including Rita which just started and Rice. Rice should have been selling these Saturday at their tailgate as well as all sports functions.

The Burbank rumor about all sports pulling their fiscal weight is real and I agree that it could be leaning toward the Lenti's.

Maybe you just can't help it, but you don't have to be a dick. I tell you one thing, though. "Baseball coach bitches about resources allocated to football coach" sure as shit doesn't mean, "Football coach on hot seat." Coach Frank is almost 70. StL isn't a program that needs a complete rebuild/change of culture. Are they going to scrap everything and run the veer? How many "skill position" players do you lose immediately after that change? Everyone but the RB? Doing that would set the program back 10 years. If Frank wanted to coach again, he probably wouldn't have gone to a program that had made the state semis twice and quarters once in the previous three years before he signed on.
What is Rice's QofH up to? Rita's? Parishes have definitely done way better than high schools so far in the battle for QofH dollars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT