ADVERTISEMENT

The World Famous CCL-ESCC Predictions 2023 Week 6

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
I give up. Obviously Gambletron and McCaravan have a relationship which is downright creepy. You and Rock can have her. If she calls, I'm not here. If either of you call from the station: I told you so. Leo, Pat's, Naz and Marist are on elimination watch.

MC @ BR
MC 36 BR 20
LA @ SR
LA 36 SR 14
JC @ M
Marist 28 JC 26
SI @ ND
SI 20 ND 14
ICP @ SF
SF 35 ICP 28
F @ Naz
Naz 21 Fenwick 20
SV @ CoM
CoM 35 SV 18
MA @ SP
SP 32 MA 14
DLS @ Leo
DLS 41 Leo 14
DP @ Marian, Heights
Heights 42 DP 21
SL @ BA
BA 28 SL 22
MCHS @ PC
PC 34 MCHS 20

MC -16
LA -22
Marist -2
SI -6
ICP +7
Naz -1
CoM -17
Marmion +18
DLS -27
Heights -21
Benet -6
Montini +14

Reactions: ignazio
MC -16
SR +22
M -2
SI -6
ICP -7
Naz -1
CoM -17
MA +18
De -27
DP +21
Larry +6
Montini +14

All.... I see the current Playoff Outlook has NLP in 5A. The Celtics still have work to do but should they make the postseason I like them for the south bracket of 16. A couple of interesting scenarios possible it that were to happen. A second game between JCA and NLP or a rematch of last years 4A title game between the Celtics and the Cyclones. Stay tuned. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup
Rice will need to play a near perfect game and generate some turnovers to pull a W off. Rice down 3 and possibly 4 opening day starters on defense (including 4 star Pierce and solid Safety Dugger). Hoping for an upset. Other big game is the JCA at Marist (Marist wins this one then it should win out and make playoffs - a loss and its Prep Bowl invite)

MC -16
SR +22
JC +2
ND +6
ICP +7
Fenwick +1
CoM -17
MA +18
Leo +27
Heights -21
BA -6
MCHS +14

We will see what Coach Q can bring out of his team on Friday at home. For no reason other than it being MC, I’m kind of thinking Rice makes it a closer game than 16.

Just my gut speaking.

Also thinking Rita could come out and play Loyola closer than Gambletron 7000 predicts. (Then again Loyola throttled Marist on a recent Friday Night trip to the south side).

There’s a reason I never take part in Edgy predictions. I’m chock full of L’s.
Rice will need to play a near perfect game and generate some turnovers to pull a W off. Rice down 3 and possibly 4 opening day starters on defense (including 4 star Pierce and solid Safety Dugger). Hoping for an upset. Other big game is the JCA at Marist (Marist wins this one then it should win out and make playoffs - a loss and its Prep Bowl invite)

MC -16 vs BR
LA -22 vs Rita
JCA +2 vs Marist
ND +6 vs Iggy
ICCP +7 vs WSF
Naz -1 vs Fenwick
CoM -17 vs Viator
MA +18 vs St. Pat's
DLS -27 vs Leo
DePaul +21 vs Marian
StL +6 vs Benet
Montini +14 vs Providence

My (Updated) Very Scientific Playoff Outlook (that likely has mistakes or math impossibilities) (Last week’s percentage to this week's this week’s):

-Brother Rice (3-2): Got the job done. Still think they beat Naz & Montini to get in. 85% --> 85%

-MC (5-0): 100%

-Rita (4-1): No sweat vs Marmion. Will beat one of WSF or StL to get in. 99% --> 99%

-LA (5-0): 100%

-Marist (1-4): I had them splitting ICCP/JCA and then winning out vs DLS, SP & ND. That’s still doable, but the odds take a hit after dropping one to ICCP. 60% --> 50%

-Iggy (2-3): Again, had them splitting Naz/ND. Which makes ND a must-win this week after losing to Naz. Then have them beating Marian & Viator to get to 5 wins. Odds take a hit. 60% --> 50%

-JCA (3-2): Surprising loss to WSF. But Leo and Marmion are still on the schedule. 99% --> 99%

-ND (2-3): Needed to split Fenwick/Iggy. Dropped the first. Now in a must-win vs another team in a must-win. Very much an uphill climb. 25% --> 15%

-ICCP (5-0): Welcome to the show! 95% --> 100%

-Naz (1-4): Got their first win of the season vs a tough Iggy team. Now a very talented Fenwick team awaits. I still have them beating Iggy/Fenwick, dropping BR, beating Marian/WSF. After seeing WSF beat JCA though, I am going to give Naz a deduct. Still will come down to whether they have enough playoff points to get in at 4-5. 30% --> 20%

-Fenwick (4-1): Nice win vs ND. Will be big favorites vs DePaul week 8. Shouldn’t be any issue getting to 5 wins here. 80% --> 99%

-WSF (3-2): Tremendous win vs JCA. Should have zero issue vs Leo week 8. So they now just need to find one win vs ICCP, Rita & Naz. Otherwise, they’ll be hoping to have enough playoff points at 4-5. Odds make a big jump though with the win. 20% --> 55%

-Viator (3-2): Still not seeing two wins left. Need to beat one of CoM, Montini or Iggy. Then finish with a win over Marmion. Odds take no hit from last week as BR was a locked-in loss. 30% --> 30%

-Marmion (2-3): Still will need to sweep St. Pat's, Larry & Viator. I still don't see it. 5% --> 5%

-St. Patrick (1-4): Need to win out vs Marmion, Benet, Marist, CoM. Woof. 1% --> 1%

-CoM (4-1): The Corsairs take their first loss of the season, but I think they turned some heads. Gave the Caravan a pretty good fight. They are a playoff team, and a dangerous one at that. 99% --> 99%

-DLS (2-3): Really tough one-score loss vs Benet this week. That would have been a HUGE odds increase. Leo and DePaul still on the schedule, but the Meteors will need to beat one of Marist and ICCP. 5% --> 5%

-DePaul (2-3): Similar to DLS, the Rams had a surprisingly close loss vs a big favorite. After that performance, I see a small glimmer of hope that they can beat Marian, ND & DLS. Very unlikely, but I’ll give them a bump. 1% --> 5%

-Leo (1-4): The flip from a W to a forfeit L week 1 puts the final nail in the coffin. 1% --> 0.5%

-Marian (2-3): Put up a nice fight vs Montini. But didn’t get it done. Seems to be the theme of the CCL Red this past week (sans Leo). I think they are a good squad, but they’ll need to find one win vs Iggy/Naz. I still think that's very unlikely. 2% --> 2%

-St. Laurence (4-1): Marmion on the schedule is a very likely W. Also wouldn’t be surprised if they beat Benet. The Vikes are in good shape (unlike their NFL counterpart). 75% --> 85%

-Benet (3-2): Squeaked by DLS. Toss-up this week vs St. Laurence. Should beat St. Pat's. Then they finish with LA & Provi. Will need to beat one of StL or Providence. I am giving them a hit after last week’s performance. 40% --> 35%

-Montini (5-0): Welcome (back) to the show! 95% --> 100%

-Providence (3-2): Squeaked by DePaul. That would have been devastating. Finish with Montini, CoM, MC & Benet. Are there two wins there? After seeing how good CoM looked vs MC, I am giving their odds a hit. 55% --> 45%

Bet the underdog. MC and LA if they get a sizable lead may rest/protect their best couple of key players at the end of the game. If MC is up three scores in the middle of 4th Qrt. should Dupree still be in the game?

Last edited:
MC -16
LA -22
Marist -2
ND +6
ICP +7
Naz -1
CoM -17
Marmion +18
DLS -27
DePaul +21
STL +6
Montini +14

MC -16. I don’t trust guys that wear shorts in the winter vs. I don’t trust guys that wear cardigans ever.

LA -22 I’ll take not conceding a couple drives into the second half as a small victory

Marist -2 Don’t worry JCA fans, I’ve been wrong all year on Marist

NND +6 I’ll take the home dog Dons keeping their playoff hopes alive

ICCP +7 One score game. I’ll take the points

Naz -1 Great game, I think the Roadrunners get it done in the LGP

CoM -17 Corsairs add Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher to the staff

MA +18 Hard fought game. Give me the 18

LEO +27 I can’t get a gauge on either team so I’ll take the points in the Meteor victory

Sparta -21 DeP improving but the Spartans in the Heights play well

StL +6 seriously can’t say who will win so if the two teams matchup that well give me the points offered by one of GTron’s blind spots this year

Bronco +14 see above. GTron melting in front of our eyes

MC -16. I don’t trust guys that wear shorts in the winter vs. I don’t trust guys that wear cardigans ever.

LA -22 I’ll take not conceding a couple drives into the second half as a small victory

Marist -2 Don’t worry JCA fans, I’ve been wrong all year on Marist

NND +6 I’ll take the home dog Dons keeping their playoff hopes alive

ICCP +7 One score game. I’ll take the points

Naz -1 Great game, I think the Roadrunners get it done in the LGP

CoM -17 Corsairs add Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher to the staff

MA +18 Hard fought game. Give me the 18

LEO +27 I can’t get a gauge on either team so I’ll take the points in the Meteor victory

Sparta -21 DeP improving but the Spartans in the Heights play well

StL +6 seriously can’t say who will win so if the two teams matchup that well give me the points offered by one of GTron’s blind spots this year

Bronco +14 see above. GTron melting in front of our eyes
Some great lines in this one, especially the shorts on the BR coach, the COM additions to staff, and the Marist line ! Well done!

1b8fc229-e1ef-4377-b6e8-bb9f172a3ff6_text.gif

Carmel -16
Loyola -22
Marist -2
Iggy -6
IC +7
Naz -1
Carmel Catholic -17
Marmion +18
DLS -27
Rams +21
SL -6
Montini +14

Mount Carmel 41 Brother Rice 24 (MC -16) The Caravan keep on a rollin'

Loyola Academy 45 SR 21 (LA -22): Ramblers keep on a ramblin'

Marist 37 Joliet Catholic 31 (M -2): Marist does not let their season die this week

Saint Ignatius 18 ND 16 (ND +6): This is not going to be an exhilarating watch, but it will be a good game

Immaculate Conception 33 Saint Francis 31 (ICP +7): Buffoon's GOTW. The Insane Clown Posse is settling into their new conference nicely

Fenwick 30 Naz 28 (F +1):
Fenwick sticks the dagger into the Roadrunners playoff dreams

Carmel 48 Saint Viator 28 (C -17) Carmel can play

Saint Pat's 27 Marmion 21 (MA +18): The Shamrocks aren't horrible, but they are not good enough to be spotting anyone 18.

De La Salle 38 Leo 25 (L +27): I love these rivalries that go back when Chicago last had a republican mayor (settle down everyone. We're just having fun)

Marian of the Heights 47 DePaul 23 (M -21): Marian is not afraid of their opponents end zone.

Saint Laurence 31 Benet 27 (SL +6): Should be a good game.

Providence 21 Montini 13 (M +14): The classic "Who are you?" game. Both teams have one solid win.

Do yourself a favor and attend a game this Friday.

I don't trust guys who don't wear socks.
It has also served me well to not trust guys that wear fedoras save, of course, the events that call for one, funerals and a day at the track.

So I guess the most untrustworthy guy to avoid for me would be the no-socked, short-wearing, cardigan-attired, fedora-borne guy in a Jewels parking lot during a Tuesday in January. Probably sound advice for all our readers in Edgyland.

It has also served me well to not trust guys that wear fedoras save, of course, the events that call for one, funerals and a day at the track.

So I guess the most untrustworthy guy to avoid for me would be the no-socked, short-wearing, cardigan-attired, fedora-borne guy in a Jewels parking lot during a Tuesday in January. Probably sound advice for all our readers in Edgyland.
The guy you describe wouldn’t be caught dead at Jewel. I’m guessing Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s.

Mount Carmel Football, Inc.
Loyola Academy
Marist
St. Ignatius College Prep
Immaculate Conception Catholic Prep
Nazareth Academy
Carmel Catholic
Marmion Academy
L-E-O
Gordon Tech
St. Laurence
Montini Catholic

As promised @ignazio at dawns first light! I'm reaching on a few games this week, we'll see if pays off or if I'm knocked off my perch in the standings.

MC -16- Went back and forth on this, and I'm still not sold. Sandbagging jokes aside, BR is not a bad team, they are banged up but they are still competing. If this game was at MC I'd feel more comfortable with this, but it's at BR and BR has nothing to lose, nobody expects them to win, they got the home crowd, MC will have the 250 fans that can fit on the visitor side and then the rest will be spread out 3 deep in the endzones (little weekend humor Rice fans ;) but I'm not wrong!) Maybe I'm having flashbacks from last years regular season game, but I'm confident MC wins, and I think it will be very similar to last weeks game vs COM where BR will hang around and MC will eventually go head by 21 late. I hope they the secondary tackles better then they did last week.

SR +22- See above. It's at SR field and they also have nothing to lose as nobody, accept the most loyal Rita faithful, expects them to win. For SR its all about the QB. He seems to thrive against teams where they are the heavy favorite like last week, and he seems to crumble against the stronger teams. I've seen him play live 4 times. If he can find a way to let Stewart do his thing and let the run set up the pass, SR can actually have a heavy punchers chance to win this game at home. If the run game flaters and he is forced to win it on his own, it could be a long night. This LA team isn't as potent as years past, I like SR with 22 points at home.

JCA +2- I'd like to know the over/under because I would take the under. Neither teams offense is anything to brag about but both can pound the chest on good defenses. In close games like this where both teams need a W, I go with special teams and JCA has a kicker, Marist does not. I'm not comfortable with this pick.

SI -6- I like SI by 7

SF + 7- I expect a push on this game with IC winning by 7, but I'm going to swim against the stream on this pick. I would not suggest copying off me on this one. Serious risk takers only! ;)

Naz -1- I like Naz to start building a bit of momentum.

CoM -17- Lock of the week. I like them by 28. BR hung 50 plus on SV last week, COM is the real deal.

Marmion +18- As stated by @BillyTheBuffoon , Pats isn't good enough to be spotting anyone 18.

DLS -27- Fellow Coppers kid plays for Laurence and said Leo was just undisciplined and wouldn't shake hands after the game. Hurt to hear that as I always root for Leo having many friends that attended there but maybe with Holmes gone some of the discipline he required left with him. Marty Quinn has more work to do with DLS but I like them by a solid 28 in this, just barely covering.

The school Formerly known as Gordon Tech +21- Again, swimming against the stream a bit but I don't think DePaul is that bad...ask Providence! Possible push here.

SL + 6- Shoe in of the week! Why is Benet always getting love? Was it the Moline win? I gave Laurence much deserved pokes early this season for scheduling the lowest of the CPS divisions in Von Stubben and another team I can't remember but it resulted in a forfeit W. But they hung in with St. Francis and beat PC, I think they beat Benet by 2 scores.

Montini +14- Lock of the week 2. PC is all out of sorts. I think their pre-season hype was a bit misleading. Yes they were the runner up in 4A last year but they wouldn't have been in 5A, 6A, 7A and 8A. Montini is on a high, If PC beats them it won't be by 14. I like Montini winning straight up.

Last edited:
I reead a book on the making of "Caddy Shack." Ted Knight was the only actor who took his participation seriously.
If you have Netflix, watch A Futile and Stupid Gesture, which a movie of the guys who started National Lampoons Magazine, more particularly Doug Kenney (Stork in Animal House) who was the primary creator, and how after the success of Animal House he wrote and produced Caddyshack and was so certain it was going to bomb, be shunned and ruin his career, many believe it lead to his probable suicide death. Martin Mull plays Doug Kenney narrating from beyond the grave and said "How was I supposed to know it would go on to be the most quoted movie ever?"

MC -16 I think MC covers the spread, but it will be a dog fight.
SR +22 may not win but think they play a spritted game and covers the spread.
Marist - need to win out to make the playoffs, but a JCA win would not surprise me. Marist size and depth will be deciding factor.
Ignatius
IC
Naz
Carmel Catholic
Marmion
De LaSalle
Marian
St.L.
Montini – what happened to PC?

MC - 16 points is 2 scores and I can see BR hanging, but reaching for the W and giving up just more than 16
SR - Similar to the above, I don't see LA opening up against the 'Stangs.
JC - After blowing their momentum last week at half, maybe this week they don't take a halftime.
SI - ND has a beautiful new turf field. The colors really pop.
ICP - I'm going to differ with McC here, SF has a great QB-WR brother combo.
F - When the Friars want to play, they can get it done.
CoM - Corsairs stepping up.
MA - Taking the points.
DLS - Leo coming undone as the season unfolds. Sad!
DP - Spread is too much.
BA - Jekyll and Hyde teams concern me.
MCHS - Britney Spears has shown more stability than Gabletron giving 14 here.

Reactions: ESCC fan
Holmes would not let that stand. Ever. That is a shame to hear.

As promised @ignazio at dawns first light! I'm reaching on a few games this week, we'll see if pays off or if I'm knocked off my perch in the standings.

MC -16- Went back and forth on this, and I'm still not sold. Sandbagging jokes aside, BR is not a bad team, they are banged up but they are still competing. If this game was at MC I'd feel more comfortable with this, but it's at BR and BR has nothing to lose, nobody expects them to win, they got the home crowd, MC will have the 250 fans that can fit on the visitor side and then the rest will be spread out 3 deep in the endzones (little weekend humor Rice fans ;) but I'm not wrong!) Maybe I'm having flashbacks from last years regular season game, but I'm confident MC wins, and I think it will be very similar to last weeks game vs COM where BR will hang around and MC will eventually go head by 21 late. I hope they the secondary tackles better then they did last week.

SR +22- See above. It's at SR field and they also have nothing to lose as nobody, accept the most loyal Rita faithful, expects them to win. For SR its all about the QB. He seems to thrive against teams where they are the heavy favorite like last week, and he seems to crumble against the stronger teams. I've seen him play live 4 times. If he can find a way to let Stewart do his thing and let the run set up the pass, SR can actually have a heavy punchers chance to win this game at home. If the run game flaters and he is forced to win it on his own, it could be a long night. This LA team isn't as potent as years past, I like SR with 22 points at home.

JCA +2- I'd like to know the over/under because I would take the under. Neither teams offense is anything to brag about but both can pound the chest on good defenses. In close games like this where both teams need a W, I go with special teams and JCA has a kicker, Marist does not. I'm not comfortable with this pick.

SI -6- I like SI by 7

SF + 7- I expect a push on this game with IC winning by 7, but I'm going to swim against the stream on this pick. I would not suggest copying off me on this one. Serious risk takers only! ;)

Naz -1- I like Naz to start building a bit of momentum.

CoM -17- Lock of the week. I like them by 28. BR hung 50 plus on SV last week, COM is the real deal.

Marmion +18- As stated by @BillyTheBuffoon , Pats isn't good enough to be spotting anyone 18.

DLS -27- Fellow Coppers kid plays for Laurence and said Leo was just undisciplined and wouldn't shake hands after the game. Hurt to hear that as I always root for Leo having many friends that attended there but maybe with Holmes gone some of the discipline he required left with him. Marty Quinn has more work to do with DLS but I like them by a solid 28 in this, just barely covering.

The school Formerly known as Gordon Tech +21- Again, swimming against the stream a bit but I don't think DePaul is that bad...ask Providence! Possible push here.

SL + 6- Shoe in of the week! Why is Benet always getting love? Was it the Moline win? I gave Laurence much deserved pokes early this season for scheduling the lowest of the CPS divisions in Von Stubben and another team I can't remember but it resulted in a forfeit W. But they hung in with St. Francis and beat PC, I think they beat Benet by 2 scores.

Montini +14- Lock of the week 2. PC is all out of sorts. I think their pre-season hype was a bit misleading. Yes they were the runner up in 4A last year but they wouldn't have been in 5A, 6A, 7A and 8A. Montini is on a high, If PC beats them it won't be by 14. I like Montini winning straight up.

Another amazing night for Gambletron again: going the right way on all but 1 game and narrowly missing the Marist/JC outcome - and 3 near misses.
Stunning.

Reactions: eireog
Another amazing night for Gambletron again: going the right way on all but 1 game and narrowly missing the Marist/JC outcome - and 3 near misses.
Stunning.
Any truth to the rumor that Gambletron is the reconditioned old WOPR supercomputer from the War Games movie?

Reactions: rocketnation
Final from 79th: DLS 48 Leo 6

SL 20 BA 6 half.
Lawrence Van Someren hit a FG for Benet
- and hits a 32-yarder just before half.
Collin Bagley answers with a 45-yarder for Laurence.
Bagley hits a 22-yarder to open the 2nd half of Kickfest. 23-6 Vikes 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Collin Bagley converts the try after his teammate runs it in from the 43.
30-6 Vikes, late 4th quarter.

Reactions: RockSoup
Week 6 recap:

GTron picked her ride or dies this weekend. Her infatuation with PC came through as she jilted BA. Her crush on McCar continued as she shunned yours truly.

Chili returns to the winners circle picking 10 out of 12 correctly with McCar and gobears (welcome to the show) splitting silver with 9 correct.

Par was 7.31 so joining the aforementioned top 3 in gaining on the field is dweise (I liked it better when he didn’t know the rules), ESCC fan (deep diving playoff possibilities helping his picks), boundary (like his rams are playing hard) TLoner (my guy turns it around trusting our beloved this week), Iggy (laying in wait strategy pays off) and Tux (like his beloved, playing well when it matters)

@chiliconcarne 10
@gobears25
@McCaravan
@dweise
@ESCC fan
@BoundaryCorner
@tomloner
@ignazio
@tuccs
@refref01
@pjjp
@3OrangeWhips