ADVERTISEMENT

The 4A Map Just Got REAL Interesting

All.... If Soucie's projection with Highland would hold Morris would firmly be in the north bracket. Ratsy
I could live with Highland in the south instead of Morris. In fact, I think the south bracket as now projected (Soucie's) would be just fine. Sounds like he's saying SHG could still fall into 3A, but no way would I expect that to happen. Best thing for SHG, and Rochester for that matter, would for Morris not to be in the south in 4A. It would be interesting to have either an SHG or Rochester vs. Highland matchup at some point in the South Bracket. This is one of those years where the final makeup of the brackets will be highly anticipated, as there is still some shifting which could happen after all games are played this weekend.

Reactions: Gene K.
All... Don't forget that RB had about two-thirds of their team back in the shortened spring season coming off an 2019 state title in which they DISMANTLED the 4A field. I'd take the 2020 RB team over SF and JCA, and then whoever came out of the South, including SHG. RB was LOADED that year. I thought they had a serious chance to repeat prior to COVID derailing that season. All just opinions of course.
It’s a shame they were robbed of that season I think RB would of been a legit top 10 team in the state that year the talent was really impressive for a 4a team.
QB-Illinois
TE-Holy cross
WR- Costal Carolina
RB/LB- Wood brothers who are at Dubuque **who imo should both be play division 1
Oline- first at Arizona now at Colorado

Pretty much rest of the starters attend a d3 school and are all starters there

Last edited:
Better than the sideline camera they used to have. You ONLY saw the two opposing teams' lines (offensive vs. defensive) and almost none of the field. At least now you get a good view of the action except at the extreme northwest side of the north end zone and some of northwest (Cyclone side) side line. I 'll take that over the lousy setup they had before. And I can live w/o the zoom feature as long as I can see the whole field as plays develop.
True enough. But for some perverse reason, probably a corollary of Murphy's Law, everything interesting seems to occur in that northwest corner of the field and end zone.

It’s a shame they were robbed of that season I think RB would of been a legit top 10 team in the state that year the talent was really impressive for a 4a team.
QB-Illinois
TE-Holy cross
WR- Costal Carolina
RB/LB- Wood brothers who are at Dubuque **who imo should both be play division 1
Oline- first at Arizona now at Colorado

Pretty much rest of the starters attend a d3 school and are all starters there
Not for argument, but just because we did it for the other three schools:

neutral field
[2020] Sacred Heart-Griffin (Springfield, IL) 35, [2020] Richmond-Burton (Richmond, IL) 20

neutral field
[2020] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 31, [2020] Richmond-Burton (Richmond, IL) 21

neutral field
[2020] St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) 31, [2020] Richmond-Burton (Richmond, IL) 21

Reactions: USD24
Just got a look at souc’s projections. I can say 5A south looks friendlier then 4A south. The one bright side is that SHG would be a semi final game should Highland get past Rochester and others. Albeit would most likely be in Springfield.

Just got a look at souc’s projections. I can say 5A south looks friendlier then 4A south. The one bright side is that SHG would be a semi final game should Highland get past Rochester and others. Albeit would most likely be in Springfield.
Who is Soucie projecting as bottom seed in the 4A south? I've been looking at Carterville's record and someone else predicting them to make the semis and the teams still alive in 4A. You know my skepticism about the MVC, even though not Highland, at least this year. But it's even greater about the SIRR.

Who is Soucie projecting as bottom seed in the 4A south? I've been looking at Carterville's record and someone else predicting them to make the semis and the teams still alive in 4A. You know my skepticism about the MVC, even though not Highland, at least this year. But it's even greater about the SIRR.

Spring Valley Hall

True enough. But for some perverse reason, probably a corollary of Murphy's Law, everything interesting seems to occur in that northwest corner of the field and end zone.
I too have noticed that this year. I have to end up watching the Cyclone players on the sideline to determine whether or not something good happened.

The dream of all true Cyclone fans is meeting JCA with one of our top teams. Instead we always seem to go up against them with a team of average overachievers meeting their great teams. We thought it was there in 2010 with Peterman and Robinson before the "upset" by Jacksonville. Last time our team of mostly underclassmen was not even supposed to get past Rochester. Spring 21 SHG was unstoppable but there was no playoff.

Some of us don't want to play Rochester a second time. But truth be told, it doesn't matter who is in the South Bracket. The goal of the season is Thanksgiving Friday and it will be ideal if somehow the Hilltoppers are waiting.
Those two “upsets” by Jacksonville over SHG were highly attributable to over confidence and some excessive consumption the night before the game. I hope this year’s team follows suit of the championship teams and stays focused without overlooking any opponents. I have some excitement for the potential of Ken’s last year.

I disagree. I think JCA beats them in 2020/21, but we will never know.
That’s ok. It was a literal “Super Team” as JCA had in last year’s playoff run. The SHG team Jca met last year was significantly depleted from the 2020 season. But they’ve grown and matured as another “Super Team” this year.

Those two “upsets” by Jacksonville over SHG were highly attributable to over confidence and some excessive consumption the night before the game. I hope this year’s team follows suit of the championship teams and stays focused without overlooking any opponents. I have some excitement for the potential of Ken’s last year.
Good observations. If they are to follow suit with the championship teams, I believe it will take the team leaders (not the coaches) to keep their teammates focused on the prize, as they say. Only so much the coaches can do in the motivation department. The players themselves must want this. And not just want it, but do what it takes.

Good point and this is where seniors and tradition take over. A great junior or even sophomore athlete can carry a team to a point. But seniors provide leadership and tradition casts a long shadow - no one wants to be the kid or team that fails to hold up his or it's part in the history of the team

That’s ok. It was a literal “Super Team” as JCA had in last year’s playoff run. The SHG team Jca met last year was significantly depleted from the 2020 season. But they’ve grown and matured as another “Super Team” this year.
Lmao!!👌

First they both have to get there. Last time I recall anxiously awaiting the chance at JCA, SHG got upset in the quarters by a team they had running clocked two months earlier.

Overconfidence kills.

Soucies current projections seem to have JC and PC meeting round 2 and then winner taking on RB in quarters.

SF seems to have a gift wrapped trip to the semis.

Someone was going to get the easier path….fingers crossed!!!
Well, I was hoping all four could make it to the quarters and then let the cards play out. As it is the random generator seems to have loaded 3 of the teams in one 8 team quadrant and put the contender with the least impressive resume in their own quadrant.

only one who really has a gripe is RB because they were the only ones to win all their games and they don’t gripe. I’m just making the observation that one quadrant is loaded up and the other looks very weak with the weakest contender of the bunch leading the way.

you still have to win all your games in front of you. I just wish JC and PC wasn’t a second round game. But if they didnt want that, JC shouldn’t have lost twice and PC shouldn’t have lost four times.

Without knowing which 4-5 teams will sneak in, as it stands now, Benon from 3A sits as the smallest 4A at 548. This keeps SHG in securely at the 4A bracket. Look for a semifinal of Rochester vs SHG. As Rochester will be a 4 or 5 seed depending on which 4-5 teams (two) are inserted into the mix,

Without knowing which 4-5 teams will sneak in, as it stands now, Benon from 3A sits as the smallest 4A at 548. This keeps SHG in securely at the 4A bracket. Look for a semifinal of Rochester vs SHG. As Rochester will be a 4 or 5 seed depending on which 4-5 teams (two) are inserted into the mix,
Buffalo Grove the only at large 4-5 in

Reactions: cigaros
I'm most intrigued by the upper half of the North bracket, most especially the potential second round clash between JCA and NLP.

Does anybody have anything to offer on Wheaton Academy? That reminds me unpleasantly of when a 5-4 NLP came down to Springfield and demolished an 8-1 SHG. If they do get by WA, it means a probable rematch with JCA, at home. The first game was pretty well matched.

Last edited:
I'm most intrigued by the upper half of the North bracket, most especially the potential second round clash between JCA and NLP.

Does anybody have anything to offer on Wheaton Academy? That reminds me unpleasantly of when a 5-4 NLP came down to Springfield and demolished an 8-1 SHG. If they do get by WA, it means a probable rematch with JCA, at home. The first game was pretty well matched.
I’m not sure WA gets past R1.

I see Providence Catholic beating Wheaton Academy.
I should have looked them up first. Only one of their wins was to a team with a winning record.

What do you think about a very probable PC/JCA rematch,?

I should have looked them up first. Only one of their wins was to a team with a winning record.

I see that as a close game. One touchdown or less. But I think Joliet Catholic pulls it out because, while they can’t stop anyone, not too many teams can outscore them either

You didn't ask me, but I have an opinion. The game would be at PC. An advantage? Maybe. The first game (an eight point victory by the Hilltoppers in a high scoring affair) against JCA was at Memorial Stadium. Personally speaking, I believe a toss up is the proper guess on this game. Don't see either team running away with it, but if one does, I think it will be JCA because in the regular season, they scored 122 more points than the Celtics.

You didn't ask me, but I have an opinion. The game would be at PC. An advantage? Maybe. The first game (an eight point victory by the Hilltoppers in a high scoring affair) against JCA was at Memorial Stadium. Personally speaking, I believe a toss up is the proper guess on this game. Don't see either team running away with it, but if one does, I think it will be JCA because in the regular season, they scored 122 more points than the Celtics.
Though I agree that it would be a toss up, the first game was at Providence.
Well at least it was for the 8,000 of us that were there.

I see that as a close game. One touchdown or less. But I think Joliet Catholic pulls it out because, while they can’t stop anyone, not too many teams can outscore them either
If you saw the last three JC games, you would have seen a much improved defense and a front that got constant pressure. Yea, the last two opponents were weak but their front struggled to pressure even weak opponents early in the year. So they have improved and the Rice game is the best example.

now they can still regress and get scorched, but if they continue their trajectory I don’t think it’s fair to say “they can’t stop anyone” as there has been definite work put in over the last month and that front four is playing like it was supposed to all year now.

If you saw the last three JC games, you would have seen a much improved defense and a front that got constant pressure. Yea, the last two opponents were weak but their front struggled to pressure even weak opponents early in the year. So they have improved and the Rice game is the best example.

now they can still regress and get scorched, but if they continue their trajectory I don’t think it’s fair to say “they can’t stop anyone” as there has been definite work put in over the last month and that front four is playing like it was supposed to all year now.
I'm sure the North Bracket is absolutely THRILLED to hear that!

The last three games they’ve scored 117 points while giving up 51 to teams that were a collective 12 and 15. In the meantime, their potential final match up with Rochester has scored 147 while giving up 28 against teams going 13 and 13, two of them going into the playoffs. SHG has scored significantly more, albeit against lighter competition during the same time frame. The context is JCA does not have a defense strong enough to keep the pressure off their offense.

Previous posts have shown I predict JCA vs Richmond Burton in one semifinal and Rochester vs Sacred Heart Griffin in the other semifinal. Given the history of the last nine games and allowing your assessment of the last three games, JCA is the fourth choice out of four to win state.

Final note, don’t believe for a second Providence Catholic didn’t circle the second round matchup which could exist. That game will be at Providence. It would be irresponsible to think they have not progressed as well to a point you speak of countering my comment regarding their own defensive failure against JCA. especially given the fact they had a defensive touchdown late in the game. As I said, JCA must outscore teams due to their inability to stop quality teams. Their defense isn’t winning games. Which is why The second round matchup is labeled a tossup. For the sake of my prediction, I hope I am wrong. The evidence does not support a contradictory assessment

Reactions: Silver Rain
The last three games they’ve scored 117 points while giving up 51 to teams that were a collective 12 and 15. In the meantime, their potential final match up with Rochester has scored 147 while giving up 28 against teams going 13 and 13, two of them going into the playoffs. SHG has scored significantly more, albeit against lighter competition during the same time frame. The context is JCA does not have a defense strong enough to keep the pressure off their offense.

Previous posts have shown I predict JCA vs Richmond Burton in one semifinal and Rochester vs Sacred Heart Griffin in the other semifinal. Given the history of the last nine games and allowing your assessment of the last three games, JCA is the fourth choice out of four to win state.

Final note, don’t believe for a second Providence Catholic didn’t circle the second round matchup which could exist. That game will be at Providence. It would be irresponsible to think they have not progressed as well to a point you speak of countering my comment regarding their own defensive failure against JCA. especially given the fact they had a defensive touchdown late in the game. As I said, JCA must outscore teams due to their inability to stop quality teams. Their defense isn’t winning games. Which is why The second round matchup is labeled a tossup. For the sake of my prediction, I hope I am wrong. The evidence does not support a contradictory assessment
PC vs JC is a pick ‘‘em for sure.

odds to win 4a start with SHG with RB right on their heels. Then there is a major gap and JC and PC have about the same odds. Then st Francis and Rochester way behind them even.

Francis and Rochester may have odds approaching JC/PC because of their far easier paths. But there is very little chance Rochester beats SHG and while Francis is all but assured a semifinal spot, they are likely a substantial underdog to whoever survives the JC/PC/RB quadrant and if they survive that, an underdog against SHG by several scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver Rain
PC vs JC is a pick ‘‘em for sure.

odds to win 4a start with SHG with RB right on their heels. Then there is a major gap and JC and PC have about the same odds. Then st Francis and Rochester way behind them even.

Francis and Rochester may have odds approaching JC/PC because of their far easier paths. But there is very little chance Rochester beats SHG and while Francis is all but assured a semifinal spot, they are likely a substantial underdog to whoever survives the JC/PC/RB quadrant and if they survive that, an underdog against SHG by several scores.
If SF does not play any better than what I saw Friday night against IC, they may not have to worry about the semi. They DO have a much easier route than RB, JC and NP, but this is the playoffs where odd things happen and a bunch of big farm boys coupled with SF's not very mobile QB and inability to avoid fouling could be like a concrete wall to a crash test dummy.

If I were picking the Championship game teams, for now I'd say SHG V. R-B and the outcome heavily influenced by weather and field conditions. On a fast track without a gale blowing, this might well prove Ken Leonard's claim that this is the strongest senior class he's had and one of his very best teams. Heavy snow or rain or extreme wind and a shootout that becomes more of a slugging match would help, if not favor. RB.

If anything jca’s pass defense still needs to work out the kinks!

Reactions: cigaros
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT