ADVERTISEMENT

The 4A Map Just Got REAL Interesting

cigaros

Gold Member
Nov 14, 2018
I just plotted the 4A qualifiers (to date) on the map. The 16 in the Southern bracket would include Morris, Coal City, SHG, and Rochester. Geneseo just misses the south by about a mile. I mean, you'd have to pull out the longitude and latitude map lines because it's that close. The South could be LOADED. Just a novice's look at the current map. But please check it for your self.

I just plotted the 4A qualifiers (to date) on the map. The 16 in the Southern bracket would include Morris, Coal City, SHG, and Rochester. Geneseo just misses the south by about a mile. I mean, you'd have to pull out the longitude and latitude map lines because it's that close. The South could be LOADED. Just a novice's look at the current map. But please check it for your self.
The north would have R-B, JCA, Wheaton Academy and SF. I would say that it was just as loaded. 4A in general is is really tough this year.

The north would have R-B, JCA, Wheaton Academy and SF. I would say that it was just as loaded. 4A in general is is really tough this year.
Early prediction

Semifinals
Richmond Burton beats Joliet Catholic in a close game.
SHG beats Morris by 2 touchdowns

SHG beats Richmond Burton by 2 touchdowns in the Final.

This is why I don't try.to figure brackets. I no longer get migraines and would rather keep it that way. But I will ask two questions:

1. If Morris is pushed down to 4A, does SHG stay there?
2. How does Rochester/Morris break and in which round?

I wish now that I was able to see more of Morris' loss to Richmond-Burton. But no true SHG guy can ever forego watching Chatham (or Springfield for that matter) get spanked.

This is why I don't try.to figure brackets. I no longer get migraines and would rather keep it that way. But I will ask two questions:

I wish now that I was able to see more of Morris' loss to Richmond-Burton. But no true SHG guy can ever forego watching Chatham (or Springfield for that matter) get spanked.
SHG does stay in 4A. Right now, the low cutoff for 4A is 563. SHG is at 607. If the games would go as expected, Morris would beat Rochester in the quarterfinals by a small margin. However the computer does not take into account the game would be AT Rochester.

Added later.... Macomb (606) and Wood River East Alton (583) are ahead of SHG in dropping to 3A. There will have to be some tremendous changes in larger schools falling out of contention for either Rochester to move up to 5A or some larger schools coming into contention along with some smaller schools falling out of contention for SHG to drop to 3A.

Last edited:

Cannot definitively answer your questions.

See “How the playoffs are determined”:

The crystal ball guys do a pretty good job with the projections, but they are still just best guesses until week 9 is in the books. Any “upsets” along the cutoff line can have a big butterfly effect and push bubble teams up or down a spot.

Cannot definitively answer your questions.

See “How the playoffs are determined”:

The crystal ball guys do a pretty good job with the projections, but they are still just best guesses until week 9 is in the books. Any “upsets” along the cutoff line can have a big butterfly effect and push bubble teams up or down a spot.
It may behoove us to check and see if the Chicago teachers contract is being contested. 2019 is a perfect example of adults being a poor example to the children.

FWIW, Geneseo is 3-4 and has two difficult games left.
The IHSA's Conference Schedules, Standings & Results and Football Playoff Outlook pages have them at 4-3, but they will be hard-pressed to get 5 wins. This week (8) they have Rock Island (4-3) on the road and finish up with Moline (6-1) at home. Even though it's on the road, Rock Island appears to be their better chance of getting a win. At 4-5, they probably fall short on playoff points even if some 4-5 record teams are selected.

P.S. Congrats to the Golden Warriors for their season so far, and for their first-class game-streaming operation. Interesting game with Moline on the road this week. I have to think playing St. Francis earlier in the year will help the Warriors.

Last edited:
And Rochester in the South Bracket. I'm sure Derek would say: "Why not us against Morris, and against RB, St. Francis, or JCA?"
'Tis a very good question. In case you haven't noticed (I'm quite sure you have), many of our Northern friends on the board tend to be rather dismissive of the CS8 - despite 14 State titles and half a dozen other title game appearances since 2001. I doubt that any other l eague besides the CCL (and East St. Louis all by itself) can make that claim.

neutral field
[2022] Sacred Heart-Griffin (Springfield, IL) 38, [2022] Morris (IL) 22

'Tis a very good question. In case you haven't noticed (I'm quite sure you have), many of our Northern friends on the board tend to be rather dismissive of the CS8 - despite 14 State titles and half a dozen other title game appearances since 2001. I doubt that any other l eague besides the CCL (and East St. Louis all by itself) can make that claim.

neutral field
Huh? ESL has 4 title game appearances with 3 titles since 2001. Not exactly 14 titles and a half dozen other appearances.

neutral field
Actually, many in northern Illinois are dismissive of just about EVERYTHING south of I-80. You must realize however, that the overwhelming number of posters on this site are fans of teams from the northern part of the state. Their posts reflect that. I suspect that a lot of them are ambivalent toward the CS8, rather than outright dismissive.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
The IHSA's Conference Schedules, Standings & Results and Football Playoff Outlook pages have them at 4-3, but they will be hard-pressed to get 5 wins. This week (8) they have Rock Island (4-3) on the road and finish up with Moline (6-1) at home. Even though it's on the road, Rock Island appears to be their better chance of getting a win. At 4-5, they probably fall short on playoff points even if some 4-5 record teams are selected.

P.S. Congrats to the Golden Warriors for their season so far, and for their first-class game-streaming operation. Interesting game with Moline on the road this week. I have to think playing St. Francis earlier in the year will help the Warriors.
My bad. Geneseo IS 4-3. I knew this but somehow ended up transposing the numbers.

Huh? ESL has 4 title game appearances with 3 titles since 2001. Not exactly 14 titles and a half dozen other appearances.
Thought it was more than that. Seems like they are always there. I remember when a bunch of our folks ran into a bunch of theirs at a McDonald's on the way back from one title game (maybe 2008). From the shouting I think the Mickey Ds manager thought it was a riot. Just a bunch of hyped up fans shouting congratulations back and forth.

I don't WANT to meet Rochester again this year. Not that I'm worried but first because I know how hard it is on Ken and Derek and second because between the coaches and some of the player family names it's too much like playing family. I'll always cheer for the Rockets- EXCEPT when they are playing SHG.

My dad was a Rochester grad. I think he was there either when or shortly after they gave up football the first time.

Highland could also end up in the 4A South bracket. Massey has them as a either a few point favorite or underdog against the likes of Rochester, St. Francis, Richmond Burton, or Provi. They would also be one more team to push SHG towards 3A.

I honestly cannot see Highland hanging with any of those teams. Fwiw it always seems to me that Calpreps is more reliable once you have late season data to work with

neutral field
I think it's more accurate to say that most people on this board are dismissive of everything outside their immediate experience. The CCL guys talk CCL, the wester suburb guys talk west, south talks south and north talks north. Most of us don't have time to follow every team every where unless they are powerhouse schools.

Highland could also end up in the 4A South bracket. Massey has them as a either a few point favorite or underdog against the likes of Rochester, St. Francis, Richmond Burton, or Provi. They would also be one more team to push SHG towards 3A.
They have an enrollment of 886. I would say they go 5A. SHG going 3A appears less likely as we approach the conclusion of the regular season. I may be mistaken, but I just don't see a big push downwards from the higher classes happening which would shove Highland into 4A and SHG into 3A.

I honestly cannot see Highland hanging with any of those teams. Fwiw it always seems to me that Calpreps is more reliable once you have late season data to wo
All.... That is correct. Many years ago I talked with one of CP's administrators. After week six is when they felt refinements and enough data collecting gives a tight projection. But of course I have mentioned for many years computer generated programs don't play football young kids do. LETS GO CYCLONES. P.S. Another trip to Morris? Like last time a stop at that Reds*** church where their fans all meet in full "traditional" garb. Then it's off to the little park across the street from the stadium where it's tailgate city. We will see. Ratsy

Last edited:
I honestly cannot see Highland hanging with any of those teams. Fwiw it always seems to me that Calpreps is more reliable once you have late season data to work with
Highland will be similar to Mascoutah in 19 I believe. I wouldn't be wise to underestimate them. Seeing Rochester and Highland play, I would definitely give the nod to highland this year.

Indeed they will
If the north includes RB, St Francis, JC, PC, and possibly Morris that is 5 legitimate contenders and I give RB the edge. Francis, JC, and PC grouped tightly behind them and Morris maybe a more distant fifth.

how that bracket breaks down will be incredibly interesting. Will be interesting to see if one gets a straight path to the semis and the other 3 or 4 get bunched up and meet in the quarters or if it gets evenly distributed with some real good second round and quarterfinals matchups across the board.

no matter how it goes, the winner of the north will have earned it and will have a tall task to beat SHG in the final.

I think RB may be the best team in 4A, but SHG may have the best odds of winning it all due to having the straighter path to Champaign coming out of the south.

4A is going to be a lot of fun.

If the north includes RB, St Francis, JC, PC, and possibly Morris that is 5 legitimate contenders and I give RB the edge. Francis, JC, and PC grouped tightly behind them and Morris maybe a more distant fifth.

how that bracket breaks down will be incredibly interesting. Will be interesting to see if one gets a straight path to the semis and the other 3 or 4 get bunched up and meet in the quarters or if it gets evenly distributed with some real good second round and quarterfinals matchups across the board.

no matter how it goes, the winner of the north will have earned it and will have a tall task to beat SHG in the final.

I think RB may be the best team in 4A, but SHG may have the best odds of winning it all due to having the straighter path to Champaign coming out of the south.

Woulda been a great year to bring back 1-32 :)

I echo this as long as SHG is 4A. I see a lot of crystal ball types have them dropping down, which would be a shame IMHO. There are some really great 3A teams but SHG as 4A favorites would probably be too tall a task for anyone in 3A

Reactions: cigaros
I don't WANT to meet Rochester again this year. Not that I'm worried but first because I know how hard it is on Ken and Derek and second because between the coaches and some of the player family names it's too much like playing family. I'll always cheer for the Rockets- EXCEPT when they are playing SHG.

My dad was a Rochester grad. I think he was there either when or shortly after they gave up football the first time.
When did Rochester first give up football? I'd be curious to know

When did Rochester first give up football? I'd be curious to know
Around 1940, maybe earlier. I'm not fully aware. My dad told me the story but I don"t remember the year

It was the old leather helmet days and like Springfield Cathedral, later Griffin and then SHG, a player died of head injuries sustained in a game. Unlike Cathedral, the Rochester school board opted to give up football. It was not resumed until 1996

Last edited:

As a Morris parent, there is no year I have wanted to be in 5A more than this year. If we end up South, I think we can make the semis depending on how it shakes out. As someone who has watched RB dominate us, I want no part of them if I’m a public or Catholic. They are the best coached team in the state outside of Rochester.

I'm anxious to see what St. Francis does in their next two games against Riverside Brookfield and IC. JCA is still JCA. Providence could make some noise in their bracket. However, from what I have seen thus far, I agree that Richmond Burton (RB) is the best in 4A. Morris losing as they did to RB deserves any doubts people may have about them coming out of the north bracket.

I don't understand all this talk about SHG being a "tall task" for anyone to beat ,and having "the best odds of winning it all". People, they play in a mediocre conference and all the teams you mention in the north bracket have a tougher regular season schedule than them. The CS8 this year has some absolutely horrendous teams!! At present, the bottom three (remember, we have completed 7 weeks of play) have a grand, combined total of (wait for it) 2 wins!!!!!!!!!!

Let us look at the north teams you list and their current playoff points: RB (36), St. Francis (32), JC (36), PC (40), and Morris (39). SHG has (drum roll, please) 28. With Rochester on the horizon, and a currently-listed, undefeated number 1 seeded Carterville n the south, I would say the Cyclones have some work to do before even thinking about Champaign.

No insult meant by my tone, Hillman, but I have followed the Cyclones and the CS8 this year, and the quality of this conference does not speak well for SHG, even if their record does!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT