ADVERTISEMENT

ESCC Week 8 Predictions

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
Marist proved that they are the top dog in conference this year...and it isn't particularly close. Excited to see what noise they can make in 8A.

Naz-28 Viator-20...Roadrunners get a bounce back win against a tough Lions team.

Marist-42 Benet-14

CoM-27 Pats-14...Shamrocks have looked awful the last few weeks while Carmel has shown signs of improvement. I think the Corsairs notch win #1 this week.

JCA-40 Marian-14

ND-35 MCC-28...Hurricanes playing for their playoff lives--will keep it close but Ty Gavin will be too much.

By the way, is ND Junior Ty Gavin one of the more underrated players in the state? He currently leads the ESCC with 16 touchdowns, double Devin Blakely of Naz who currently sits at second with 8. Exciting player to watch.

Nazareth 24 St. Viator 14

Marist 38 Benet Academy 17

St. Patrick's 24 Carmel 8

Joliet Catholic 38 Marian Catholic 14. Will the lights go out at Memorial Stadium again? USD24 brings light bulbs to the game!

Niles Notre Dame 28 Marian Central Catholic 15

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
Marist
NAZ
Carmel
MCC
JC

I have see Gavin twice this year and a couple times last year. I totally agree with you. I think he is the best player in the conference as I said in here a couple of weeks ago. Really understands where the whole is gonna be before it opens.

Naz
Marist
CoM - Zaire Barnes is the best player in the ESCC. Much better team than their 0-7 indicates.
JCA
MCC - deja vu all over again for the Hurricanes...they win out & get IN. Players are coming back and they believe. They run the table the next 2 weeks to get in the 5A play-offs.

Reactions: MR. "T"
Back to what maybe the most predictable league in chicago this year...Goodluck to all teams and stay Healthy! Despite the downyear a good showing for the league in postseason is very possible-

Nazareth- bounceback? ST V isn't a pushover this maybe closer than expected if the whooping from Marist last week lingers! Don't expect it..but hell didn't expect last week either
Marist- #TopDawg- will the lack of formidable opponents in the league this year hamper them in 8A..NO!
COM- Finally a team COM is more athletic than, down year for the Pats
JCA- no one ever picks Marian so why start now; a league trying to stay relevant is hurt by the automatic bye week this has become!
ND- Hurricanes back to sea for the winter...Gavin continues his exceptional season

Naz
Marist
CoM - Zaire Barnes is the best player in the ESCC. Much better team than their 0-7 indicates.
JCA
MCC - deja vu all over again for the Hurricanes...they win out & get IN. Players are coming back and they believe. They run the table the next 2 weeks to get in the 5A play-offs.
I agree Carmel is better than their record indicates! The future looks bright for them. I really like that freshman QB.
MCC....I know you can do it!

JCA 49 MC 10
MCC 24 ND 20 I think ND has a tough time playing on that track. Need a good upset for the week
CC 31 Pats 7. Pats team has struggling scoring against good defenses
Mar 28 Ben 27 Dont be suprised if Benet pulls of upset after big win by Marist over Naz..trap game
SV 27 Naz 24 Lions find a way to slow down athletes on Naz just in time for a W. Naz beat down from last week still hurts. Lions D very underrated..

JCA 49 MC 10
MCC 24 ND 20 I think ND has a tough time playing on that track. Need a good upset for the week
Mar 28 Ben 27 Dont be suprised if Benet pulls of upset after big win by Marist over Naz..trap game
SV 27 Naz 24 Lions find a way to slow down athletes on Naz just in time for a W. Naz beat down from last week still hurts. Lions D very underrated..
Other than the JC/MC game, I disagree with every one of your pics. Doesn't mean much, I am not much of a prognosticator

Other than the JC/MC game, I disagree with every one of your pics. Doesn't mean much, I am not much of a prognosticator
JCA 49 MC 10
ESCC is down this year. Marist definitely heads and shoulders above everyone in the conference. I know there is a lot of love for ND this year but they still have not beaten a team with a winning record this year. Combined record of the teams they have played are 17-33.
JCA 49 MC 10

NND is very one-dimensional and their D is average IMO. They do bring a swagger because they've performed well to this point, but look at who they've played.

Reactions: maywood11
ESCC is down this year. Marist definitely heads and shoulders above everyone in the conference. I know there is a lot of love for ND this year but they still have not beaten a team with a winning record this year. Combined record of the teams they have played are 17-33.
Notre Dame beat Benet who is 5-2, so they have beaten a team with a winning record.

I know JCA, MCC and Viator, have all only beaten one team with a winning record, as well. I don't know if using that stat does any argument a favor because everyone in the middle of the conference haven't beaten very many winning teams.

Why is it a "down year" for the conference? sure there is a top half and a bottom half, with pretty good distance between the two parts, but, the conference has already qualified 5 out of 10 teams for the playoffs. If (and that is an if) MCC wins out that will be 6 out of 10 teams qualified. which i think is one less than last year. Those same 6 teams were 12-2 in non-conference play with one of the losses coming from 2 ESCC teams playing each other in Non-Con. biggest issue I see is that there is no middle ground and, horrors, JCA is down again. Wouldn't the best time to assess how good or bad the league is after the playoffs are over and see how deep the respective teams went in their respective classes? I would say as far as number of teams going to p/o its an average year.

Naz - Viator = Viator +3 - the speed of a now healthy SV backfield will be a bit of a surprise to Naz. The coaching at SV was also surprising, this program will be even better next year. Close but SV pulls it out on FG.

Marist - Benet = +1 - why? because I have to. This game was very close last year until last 3 minutes. Those actually at the game, will remember. Both teams lost/gained about the same amount of talent (which is not the same as saying they have the same level of talent). Benet's strength is it's defense, which will make it interesting. Could stay close to the end then it goes either way.

CoM - Pats = CoM + 14

JCA-Marian = JCA +42

ND- MCC = MCC + 3, MCC has some players back, that field (could be swamp after the soaking over the past week) and those officials. Still a well coached team, that adjust very well to their personnel.

I don't get the love for Benet this week. The Benet team I watched vs JC last week is not in the same league as Marist,(figuratively, because literally they are in the same league). I thought Benet and JC were not that far apart based on the game last Saturday. I think Marist pounds Benet.

Reactions: lkhammer57
I don't get the love for Benet this week. The Benet team I watched vs JC last week is not in the same league as Marist,(figuratively, because literally they are in the same league). I thought Benet and JC were not that far apart based on the game last Saturday. I think Marist pounds Benet.

Could be, but, that is why the games are played....by Saturday you could be laughing at me or I could be feeling vaguely smug.

Why is it a "down year" for the conference? sure there is a top half and a bottom half, with pretty good distance between the two parts, but, the conference has already qualified 5 out of 10 teams for the playoffs. If (and that is an if) MCC wins out that will be 6 out of 10 teams qualified. which i think is one less than last year. Those same 6 teams were 12-2 in non-conference play with one of the losses coming from 2 ESCC teams playing each other in Non-Con. biggest issue I see is that there is no middle ground and, horrors, JCA is down again. Wouldn't the best time to assess how good or bad the league is after the playoffs are over and see how deep the respective teams went in their respective classes? I would say as far as number of teams going to p/o its an average year.

Naz - Viator = Viator +3 - the speed of a now healthy SV backfield will be a bit of a surprise to Naz. The coaching at SV was also surprising, this program will be even better next year. Close but SV pulls it out on FG.

Marist - Benet = +1 - why? because I have to. This game was very close last year until last 3 minutes. Those actually at the game, will remember. Both teams lost/gained about the same amount of talent (which is not the same as saying they have the same level of talent). Benet's strength is it's defense, which will make it interesting. Could stay close to the end then it goes either way.

CoM - Pats = CoM + 14

JCA-Marian = JCA +42

ND- MCC = MCC + 3, MCC has some players back, that field (could be swamp after the soaking over the past week) and those officials. Still a well coached team, that adjust very well to their personnel.

Should we believe you, or our lying eyes, right?

ESCC is not a top half and bottom half conference right now. It's the Big10 circa 1981. Big 2, Little 8. It's not a damnation of the conference or schools, but a down year is a down year, and maybe 1 team get's to the semifinals. Maybe.

Reactions: maywood11
Should we believe you, or our lying eyes, right?

ESCC is not a top half and bottom half conference right now. It's the Big10 circa 1981. Big 2, Little 8. It's not a damnation of the conference or schools, but a down year is a down year, and maybe 1 team get's to the semifinals. Maybe.
It all depends on how the brackets align. I can see Marist 8A ,Benet 7A (if Healthy), Naz 6A and St. V 5A getting to semis. Not saying they will but its a possibility.

It all depends on how the brackets align.

Marist strongest chance. Naz next up, and if they end up in a quad with PR, IT'S over.

Benet and SV would need some serious luck to make the semifinals.

Marist strongest chance. Naz next up, and if they end up in a quad with PR, IT'S over.

Benet and SV would need some serious luck to make the semifinals.
Disagree SV in 5A opposite Philips would be a lock IMO.

In my mind, ND needs to win an 8A playoff game or two. I'm not sure they've ever won a playoff game in 8A. I believe they won some games in 6A, when they had a multiplier waiver.

Not sure how well the ESCC prepares 8A schools (ND and Marist) for the playoffs. Marist has had some nice runs, but have also flamed early as well. I thought they had a team that could do some damage last year, but lost to New Trier in the 1st Round at home. That was a bad loss, IMO.

Reactions: ESCC fan
NND is one of the schools that is really negatively affected by the multiplier. Really should be a 6A/7A team. Hoping they can get a fortunate draw and maybe win a game or two in the 8A playoffs.

I think the ESCC preps the 8A teams just fine. If Marist was upset last year it's just an upset, happens all the time.

Maybe Benet was off due to playing at 9am on Saturday after the Friday night kickoff got postponed? I left with 5 minutes left.

Reactions: USD24
Naz over Viator
Marist over Benet
Carmel over St. Pats- I like carmel here after they almost knocked off the canes last weekend
JCA over Marian Heights
ND over MCC- While I said I liked Carmel because of their performance last week, I feel opposite for the canes. I understand that the Carmel has been playing some tough competition, but I don't feel really confident in the Canes after barely beating a winless team by 1 and almost lost. At the same time, I do like that ND has to travel to Woodstock, and that commute from Dempster street in Niles to Woodstock on a Friday night is brutal (trust me I know from experience). The canes have a chance but they can't play undisciplined football like they did against Viator, especially since this ND team is probably better than Viator. It is going to be an interesting watch and definitely a good one to attend. Two big games in Woodstock tonight with this game and then Woodstock (4-3) vs. Woodstock North (4-3), crosstown rivalry and fighting for a playoff spot. Should be an interesting night.

But the question is how many non CPS conferences would the 8th place ESCC team win in the Chicago area this season?

But the question is how many non CPS conferences would the 8th place ESCC team win in the Chicago area this season?

not a one. He was having a very positive self image day the day he typed that.

Hey lkhammer didn't you play at MCC? Why all the negative BS about them almost every damn time you talk on here...sad. Supporting your alma mater even if you disagree with some of the schools moves (which we all know were the right choices) would be the mature thing to do. Canes win out...thanks for the non-support. Enjoy the game tonight.

ESCC is 3-1 against CCL this year, correct me if I missed a game. Not sure what is best non-conference win for ESCC, maybe Viator over Rolling Meadows. Not a great conference year, but not a disaster either. Hopefully pull some upsets in playoffs.

Maybe Benet was off due to playing at 9am on Saturday after the Friday night kickoff got postponed? I left with 5 minutes left.
Benet is going to be pretty spotty on offense at best. Without Boyle at QB, asking a SOPH to do a lot. Boyle was to some extent the offense, and the offense was just OK this year as well with him.

Defense is pretty solid, not as good as last year, but still solid.

Hey lkhammer didn't you play at MCC? Why all the negative BS about them almost every damn time you talk on here...sad. Supporting your alma mater even if you disagree with some of the schools moves (which we all know were the right choices) would be the mature thing to do. Canes win out...thanks for the non-support. Enjoy the game tonight.

Sorry I'm not a homer, I say things how I see it, I don't let me affiliations get in the way. This has nothing to do with anything other than what I have seen. If they win I will be the first one to congratulate and be happy for the kids, but I am not just going to pick my school just because I went there. I am honest and that's how I'm going to keep it and how I believe it should be. There's plenty of people on these boards who pick against their schools all the time.

Second, diezel, speak for yourself on what were the right decisions because there have been some legitimate HR problems with some of the decisions, but this is not the place to speak of those problems.

Last edited:
I respect your response lkhammer. However, I never said you needed to be a "homer". We shall see what happens the next 2 weeks. I happen to like MCC's chances as I thought you would too considering they lost 90% of their offense for 3-4 weeks & are still in the spot they are in. Also, sure their are HR issues everywhere and again I never brought them up here either.

Naz over Viator
Marist over Benet
Carmel over St. Pats- I like carmel here after they almost knocked off the canes last weekend
JCA over Marian Heights
ND over MCC- While I said I liked Carmel because of their performance last week, I feel opposite for the canes. I understand that the Carmel has been playing some tough competition, but I don't feel really confident in the Canes after barely beating a winless team by 1 and almost lost. At the same time, I do like that ND has to travel to Woodstock, and that commute from Dempster street in Niles to Woodstock on a Friday night is brutal (trust me I know from experience). The canes have a chance but they can't play undisciplined football like they did against Viator, especially since this ND team is probably better than Viator. It is going to be an interesting watch and definitely a good one to attend. Two big games in Woodstock tonight with this game and then Woodstock (4-3) vs. Woodstock North (4-3), crosstown rivalry and fighting for a playoff spot. Should be an interesting night.

Diezel I believe I did say they have a chance to win this game due to these marked comments, I just felt it wasn't strong enough to pick them. So if it's not the pick that angered you then I am a little confused. If it makes you feel better I picked them to beat Carmel last week, because I felt they were the right choice.

And you were the one who brought up the hires (HR). Maybe we just read things differently, I don't know, but that's the way I read it. Either way agree to disagree I guess

Last edited:
You think Carmel will lose to Pats? Plus, it's fun to pick upsets, and that's why they play the game.

The Canes are BACK...hope you are on board now lkhammer!!! Great game, the kids dug deep and wanted this game. One more game...Congrats MCC!!!

Reactions: Paliakas1
The Canes are BACK...hope you are on board now lkhammer!!! Great game, the kids dug deep and wanted this game. One more game...Congrats MCC!!!

So it was the pick that angered you! That's alright, I'm okay with my pick being wrong. MCC has a hell of a home field advantage and it is great to see them use it! Congrats to the canes! But hey be careful about saying things about picks being wrong because I have a few week where your MCC pick wasn't even close ;)

That's besides the point though, Congrats to the Canes I believe that makes the Canes unbeaten against the Dons since joining the ESCC.

Finally, don't say I don't support the program, just cause I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I don't support the program. Why don't you go ask the Frosh staff if I have helped them out at all this year, and then get back to me. If that's not support then idk what is, and I guess I won't bend over backwards and get put into tough situations for the program then. So before you say no support why don't you ask some of the coaches first, cause if thats not support, then I will remember next time I can help to just say Diezel doesn't think I support and I won't help then. Again congrats to the canes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT