ADVERTISEMENT

The New CS8.... 2024 Schedule

All.... After one season HC Michael Kinade from Southeast has resigned. Spartans will need to scramble quickly and get that position filled.

Reports in the paper I recall last season mentioned low numbers of players were available throughout the year. If that trend continues in 2024 not a good sign. They should be the favorite though week one when they travel to East Peoria and take on the Raiders. Ratsy
Any news on the SE HC hiring front? School year is nearly over...

nate borders, former shs student and isu football player, is the new head football coach at southeast. this next season will be only his second year out of college. he's a great kid and comes from a great family. good luck bmoc.

All.... At 6'6" 295 Coach Borders shouldn't have trouble getting his coaching philosophy across to the troops. ✌️ Ratsy

nate borders, former shs student and isu football player, is the new head football coach at southeast. this next season will be only his second year out of college. he's a great kid and comes from a great family. good luck bmoc.
Nothing wrong with handing the reigns over to a young motivated person. Hopefully he can get the buy in and commitment from the SE community. There's most certainly athletes in them halls!

All.... Coach Hay talks some on Titan football 2024. Ratsy

Rochester to face the Gibson Southern (IN) Titans Week 1 in 2025 and 2026. Both will be Saturday games. Rochester to host in '25 and travel in '26. The Titans are a public school located in Fort Branch, which is in the southern part of Indiana about 225 miles from Rochester. The school had an enrollment of 726 in 2022-2023 and a record of 11-3 last season. I believe Indiana has 6 classes for their football playoffs, and the Titans have been most recently in 3A.

Reactions: FB1976
Rochester to face the Gibson Southern (IN) Titans Week 1 in 2025 and 2026. Both will be Saturday games. Rochester to host in '25 and travel in '26. The Titans are a public school located in Fort Branch, which is in the southern part of Indiana about 225 miles from Rochester. The school had an enrollment of 726 in 2022-2023 and a record of 11-3 last season. I believe Indiana has 6 classes for their football playoffs, and the Titans have been most recently in 3A.
All.... That is a decent get. The Titans current enrollment listed at 771. Turf field . About a 3 1/2 hour road trip. Their facebook and announcement of this series mentioned Coach Leonard reached out to Coach Hart. One state championship in 2021. If they played this year Massey has it 39-26 Rockets. Ratsy

Reactions: rocketnation
All.... Fwiw a bit more on the Titans. Last year GS played the Golden Aces from Mt. Carmel in a week one non con game winning 21-14. The Aces finished their season in 2023 at 12 -2 making it to the 3A final before falling to Byron 69-7. I have been told for those interested you can watch a couple of the Titans games from 2023 on the Indiana HS Association site for free. Ratsy

All.... The Massey preseason Illinois ratings thread seems to be getting a bit of play. Fot the CS8 followers here is what they show for the conference teams. Bottom to top. It will be interesting when the regular season is done how close they come. A total of 524 teams are listed on the site. Ratsy

Lanphier.... 435
Decatur (Eisenhower).... 392
Southeast.... 326
Lincoln.... 240
Springfield.... 230
Normal University.... 227
Jacksonville.... 201
Quincy (Notre Dame).... 195
Decatur (MacArthur).... 170
Chatham.... 125
Sacred Heart-Griffin.... 80
Rochester.... 37

All.... The Massey preseason Illinois ratings thread seems to be getting a bit of play. Fot the CS8 followers here is what they show for the conference teams. Bottom to top. It will be interesting when the regular season is done how close they come. A total of 524 teams are listed on the site. Ratsy

Lanphier.... 435
Southeast.... 326
Lincoln.... 240
Springfield.... 230
Jacksonville.... 201
Chatham.... 125
Rochester.... 37
A couple of observations: At spot 240, Lincoln would be in the playoffs again. I think they will struggle to repeat last year's playoff appearance with the speedy Carson twins having graduated.

Jacksonville may return more All Conference selections than any other team. However, they will have to replace RB Cam'ron Mitchell, who provided most of their offensive firepower, and start a new QB.

U High is a bit of a puzzle. They went from 3 wins to 7 last year and return a QB who threw for 20 TD's, so they are trending in the right direction. Along with that overall improvement, the Pioneers did suffer one-sided shutouts to Chatham late in the regular season and to Coal City in round one of the playoffs.

If Chatham can develop a bigger and faster defense, they could be much better than 125. We'll know a lot after their Week 1 game against 8A Edwardsville.

Jacksonville may return more All Conference selections than any other team. However, they will have to replace RB Cam'ron Mitchell, who provided most of their offensive firepower, and start a new QB.
jacksonville's kicker will be a big factor in their scoring this year. he's a beast.

Coach Hart is the son of Coach Hart from Huntley and the older brother to Coach Hart that was Kankakee. This is a great matchup as both teams are very very similar in style and size. Can go either way. Probably the team with the ball last will come out on top. We see GS in July and will have a better gage of this years team.

Well, I doubt the ihsa will make any decisions on what a few folks post on an internet board. And there are some of us out here that think the way they do it now is just fine. There are some school districts, (especially smaller ones) that don't have the resources to pack a load of kids, coaches and cheerleaders on a bus and haul them 300 plus miles from one end of the state to the other to play a game that everyone already knows what the outcome will be, and one of these days you're going to give some 5-4 team that barely made it in a trip to far northern Illinois to a 9-0, and they are going to just forfeit, and say you know what, we're not going to do that. So you take your 9-0 team and just advance them to the second round, and have fun. This is high school ball, folks, Not the NFL. Perhaps all those that feel so strongly about the 1-32 seeding could get together, and we'll have a go fund me drive and they can all contribute to the fund so that those schools forced to travel 250 or 300 miles can actually afford to do so. As for schools voluntarily scheduling long distance games during the regular season, those schools are VERY small in number and they do so because no one else in their vicinity wants to play them. You can count on one hand the number schools that schedule these long distance games, and they do so in order to fill out their 9 game schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaros
Well, I doubt the ihsa will make any decisions on what a few folks post on an internet board. And there are some of us out here that think the way they do it now is just fine. There are some school districts, (especially smaller ones) that don't have the resources to pack a load of kids, coaches and cheerleaders on a bus and haul them 300 plus miles from one end of the state to the other to play a game that everyone already knows what the outcome will be, and one of these days you're going to give some 5-4 team that barely made it in a trip to far northern Illinois to a 9-0, and they are going to just forfeit, and say you know what, we're not going to do that. So you take your 9-0 team and just advance them to the second round, and have fun. This is high school ball, folks, Not the NFL. Perhaps all those that feel so strongly about the 1-32 seeding could get together, and we'll have a go fund me drive and they can all contribute to the fund so that those schools forced to travel 250 or 300 miles can actually afford to do so. As for schools voluntarily scheduling long distance games during the regular season, those schools are VERY small in number and they do so because no one else in their vicinity wants to play them. You can count on one hand the number schools that schedule these long distance games, and they do so in order to fill out their 9 game schedule.

You find me a 5-4 that'll forfeit to a 9-0 because of travel and I'll show you my unicorn farm.

The reason IHSA football playoffs remain supreme is because it's a privilege to be there. It's earned, not given.
Anyone who has your mindset isn't doing it for the right reasons, you're just taking the selfish road so you don't have to spend any money or travel and give up a weekend. Terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE example to set for kids.

You signed them up, now make the damn sacrifices that come with it when they earn their spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaros and FB1976
St. Francis is going to ESL to play in the classic. They are not doing it because no one in the vicinity will play them....try again.

St. Francis is going to ESL to play in the classic. They are not doing it because no one in the vicinity will play them....try again.
There are examples of what he stated, in a regular season setting. QND and BMD have dealt with it for years, decades. There are a few limited examples of schools being kind of "forced" out of their geographical locations by the schools around them. Intentionally or unintentionally.

I do not, however, agree with the whining about travel from many in the state. For decades the IHSA has allowed, albeit just ignored, the "independent" section of teams and let them fend for themselves in scheduling since everyone else was content. The trend moved to closing up conferences to ease the burden that is scheduling football for AD's. Thus, the challenge got harder and harder every year for the independent schools to fill 9 games. You have this, and don't ever seem to care, but you're upset you have to drive 3 hours to a PLAYOFF game? Get the **** out of here with that.

QND, surrounded by small 1A/2A towns with one larger public in the same city, 7A Quincy High, who they've played consistently for 7 years or so.
BMD, surrounded by tiny towns and big boys in the metro east.
St. Teresa is now experiencing it after getting the boot from their public friends in the CIC.

Both QND and BMD have tested themselves in regular season games over the years... playing each other most of those years in a game that certainly turned into a rivalry of sorts. Definitely a true playoff tester each season for both, as they've met in the playoffs on numerous occasions.

QND has travelled to Tolono Unity, St Joe Ogden, Bishop McNamara to name a few in the early 2000s. They had a run in the Mid State 6 when Richwoods was still very good, 2006-2010 or so, winning it once. They stepped up and played in the Big 12 conference during the abbreviated COVID season, 2020. They've played teams from Missouri, Florida, Wisconsin, Iowa since 2000.

BMD has scheduled SHG I remember. They surely could/would have benefited nicely playing the majority of the Southwest Conference annually (remove Edwardsville and ESL), not a closed conference being the rational. Perhaps those schools looked at BMD the same way? Too small, too weak? BMD has done a solid job in recent years playing local(ish) schools while still venturing out to play some teams from other areas of the state.

Lanphier.... 435
Southeast.... 326
Lincoln.... 240
Springfield.... 230
Jacksonville.... 201
Chatham.... 125
Rochester.... 37
My opinion is that the Rockets lost an awful lot of talent to be rated that highly going into the season. QB1 returns and that's about it. Big rebuild year with replacement talent on the way...but the ETA for that talent is 2025 or 2026.

Yes, I know what opinions are like...but, that's just my take. I don't think RHS gets past Ritter or SHG....maybe CG.

My opinion is that the Rockets lost an awful lot of talent to be rated that highly going into the season. QB1 returns and that's about it. Big rebuild year with replacement talent on the way...but the ETA for that talent is 2025 or 2026.

Yes, I know what opinions are like...but, that's just my take. I don't think RHS gets past Ritter or SHG....maybe CG.
There's a fair number of returners with some experience but only 6 starters back by my count from the championship game. Facing Ritter and Chatham early in the season will particularly test the mostly new defense. They can't reasonably be expected to be as productive as the '23 defense, which only gave up 165 points.

There's more room for optimism on the offense. When Derek has a QB for 2 years in a row (Nic Baker and Clay Bruno most recently), their numbers have improved significantly in year 2. I expect Bryan Zulauf to show off his running ability more this year, and his passing accuracy/arm strength was very good last season. There's 4 Running Backs with some experience returning, and they have a nice mix of power and speed. Mason Jacobs is the only veteran WR back but expect several Sophomores to develop quickly, particularly 6'5" Eli Cox. The unknown at this time is the Offensive Line, where Jake Milliron is the only returning starter.

Reactions: net-se and FB1976
All.... I'm repeating myself but so are they. According to my Rte. 4 "friends" (the creshendo is getting even louder as the season gets closer 🎙️) the Titans are going to grind up the CS8 this year.

Now I already mentioned a barometer of what might be coming in conference play will be how well the Titans play the Tigers in their non con game week 1 in Chatham. Keep that close or even win would be a big step for Chatham.

Their round two game in 2023 ended up with an escape 52-51 road win against the Bulldogs from Oak Lawn. The following week I watched the second half when they played Washington round three in Chatham. Several key mistakes and the Panthers unique offensive line play springing their rb's doomed the Titans and they got blown out.

Chatham was very young last year. Game errors should be less with more seasoned players. The offense will score even more points in 2024 after averaging 36 per game in 2023 with stud QB Colten Knoedler and all of those receivers returning. The BIG key I've yapped about for a half of a year is the defense. Can't be giving up 51 points in any game much less one in the playoffs. If I recall correctly I read Oak Lawn in that particular game went for two late after scoring and didn't get the conversion. Chatham needs to up that defense .

Having said all of that will they "grind" up the teams in CS8 play. We will see.... Ratsy

Agree on the importance of Week 1 vs Edwardsville as a marker for the Titans. Expect a significant size advantage for the Tigers on the OL/DL.

The Titans passing offense should be explosive, but can they also develop a running attack? Knoedler is a decent goal line running option but lacks the speed that made Luke Lehnen so dangerous. Chatham has a fast Junior RB who got some time in the playoffs as a Sophomore and had a 50+ yard score against Bloomington, but he is not very big.

Not only was the Titans defense undersized and a liability last year against better teams, they graduated their core players from that unit with the exception of DE Johnny Helm. They will likely have 8-9 new starters Week 1 vs Edwardsville. The Titans need to find some size up front or teams are going to run right at them as SHG, Rochester, and MacArthur did last year.

Last edited:
That is the same argument I utilize AGAINST district formats. The difference being EVERY school must travel the extensive distances during the season. Whereas only the playoff teams must travel any extent during the playoffs. And that number of teams travelling decreases with each week. I never hear the likes of Rochester, East St. Louis, or SHG bitching when they travel to Dekalb for title game. Nor do I hear the LWE, Loyola, Mt. Carmel fans bitching when they travel to Champaign. Now the games are in Normal, and i didn't hear any of the 16 teams complaining about travel time.

There's a fair number of returners with some experience but only 6 starters back by my count from the championship game. Facing Ritter and Chatham early in the season will particularly test the mostly new defense. They can't reasonably be expected to be as productive as the '23 defense, which only gave up 165 points.

There's more room for optimism on the offense. When Derek has a QB for 2 years in a row (Nic Baker and Clay Bruno most recently), their numbers have improved significantly in year 2. I expect Bryan Zulauf to show off his running ability more this year, and his passing accuracy/arm strength was very good last season. There's 4 Running Backs with some experience returning, and they have a nice mix of power and speed. Mason Jacobs is the only veteran WR back but expect several Sophomores to develop quickly, particularly 6'5" Eli Cox. The unknown at this time is the Offensive Line, where Jake Milliron is the only returning starter.
By chance is one of those RBs Khorbin Gregory (older brother of the Freshman Gregory brothers)? He played at SHG last year, but know nothing of his football ability. He was decent on the basketball court though. Was surprised to see him show up on the Rocket roster. It will be exciting to see him and his brothers get some playing time...probably next year.

Another question...who is QB2? Does Beal get the nod, or is JP the guy? Leonard is only a Sophmore, but if he's ready, what a gift to be able to slide Beal into a TE role.

By chance is one of those RBs Khorbin Gregory (older brother of the Freshman Gregory brothers)? He played at SHG last year, but know nothing of his football ability. He was decent on the basketball court though. Was surprised to see him show up on the Rocket roster. It will be exciting to see him and his brothers get some playing time...probably next year.

Another question...who is QB2? Does Beal get the nod, or is JP the guy? Leonard is only a Sophmore, but if he's ready, what a gift to be able to slide Beal into a TE role.
I wasn't counting him in that group of RB's yet because I can't confirm that he is at Rochester. I know there are indications on Max Preps and Hudl that this move has occurred, but I'm still in a wait and see mode.

QB 2 is interesting. Eli Carlson split time with Zulauf at QB at the Freshman and JV levels and took some snaps last year but was more of a running option in short yardage situations. He is the leading returning rusher from '23 and could be the first option at RB. Carlson might also need to play more on defense this season. Pure speculation on Beal and Leonard, but Beal has height and size that could be utilized elsewhere, such as DB, LB, or TE, in a year where there are plenty of positions to be filled. JP is strictly a QB.

All.... Khorbin is a stud and had been waiting for his turn as a regular starter. I had been keeping an eye on him in the black and gold games. Scat back with speed. and impressive. He is talented enough to start at rb or at the very least come in for specific plays designed for his style of running. Nice pick up for Rochester.... Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT