ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 7

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
A consequential week with two games with major playoff implications and three others that should be interesting for different reasons.

West Division
QND (5-1) at Jacksonville (4-2)
The Crimsons are coming off a difficult defeat to Springfield, where they lost a one-point lead in the game's final minute. They ran for over 300 yards against the Senators but also gave up 400 yards passing. QND's 2nd road game of the year, with the 1st being a close 14-9 victory over Springfield. With a win Friday, the Raiders have an excellent chance of going 8-1. The Crimsons would love to pull off an upset for their 5th win and then would have a decent chance of ending the regular season 7-2. QND has found a way to win since Week I and I like them in a close one. QND 29 Jacksonville 23. Massey prediction: QND 32 Jacksonville 21.

SHG (4-2) at Springfield (5-1)
The battle of Washington Street has been pretty one-sided recently in favor of the Cyclones. After losing to QND in Week 4, SHG has had two games to adjust to having a new QB and utilizing their former QB at RB. SHG's defense takes a hit as it will be without two starting Defensive Ends who were ejected in last week's game and have to serve a suspension. Springfield is coming off an emotional last-minute victory over Jacksonville, where they passed for over 400 yards but allowed over 300 yards in rushing. An important question is whether the Senators can come out on top in a difficult emotional game for the second week in a row. Springfield would prefer not to need to throw over 40 times again this week and would like to get their hard to tackle main RB more carries. Expect SHG to run first to then set up the pass. The Cyclones should win in a tight contest. SHG 31 Springfield 26. Massey prediction: SHG 41 Springfield 14.

Lanphier (0-6) at Southeast (0-6) Saturday 1 pm at Memorial Stadium
Someone will get their first win of the season. The Eastside has been marginally better than the Northend so far this season. Southeast 34 Lanphier 16. Massey prediction: Southeast 42 Lanphier 14.

East Division
U High (4-2) at Eisenhower (0-6)
The Panther's starting QB was injured last week against Rochester and taken off by ambulance. His status is unknown. The Pioneers should score early and often and get a quick running clock. U High 54 Eisenhower 0. Massey prediction: U High 49 Eisenhower 12.

Lincoln (4-2) at Chatham (4-2)
Lincoln had their best win of this season last week against MacArthur, while Chatham had their worst loss to U High. Homecoming week in Chatham. The Railers will try to run the ball and take time off the clock. Last week showed that the Titans really need to get WR Blake Lehnen healthy and back on the field. His speed and deep threat ability will be crucial if Chatham is to a make a playoff run. The Railers still have a chance at 5 wins, but this is not their week. Expect a big bounce back by the Titans. Chatham 53 Lincoln 14. Massey prediction: Chatham 42 Lincoln 7.

Rochester (4-2) at MacArthur (2-4)
The Rockets did not start well at all against Eisenhower last week, with the defense allowing several long drives and the offense only scoring in the last minute of the 1st quarter to lead 7-0. MacArthur has played well at home against Rochester in past years. A fast start for the visitors is essential as is a consistent 4-quarter effort. If Rochester starts like last week, expect the Generals to gain confidence. Mac lost 43-33 on the road at Lincoln last week but played better against both Springfield and Chatham, particularly on defense, at home in earlier season losses. Rochester 38 MacArthur 12. Massey prediction: Rochester 42 MacArthur 7.

I'll have updates from QND/Jax, like normal barring anything crazy. Going to be a fun day, golf with the sales reps then hussle to Jacksonville for dinner and football.

Elsewhere, big week for SHG to put some haters to rest. 5-2 after the way the season began is respectable. I know their standard is much higher but you can see them getting stronger and better each week. That's all you can ask for at this point. 4A again likely in the playoffs, right? That's got to be the bright light they're hoping to get to at this point. Lincoln with the opportunity of a lifetime to absolutely wreck Glenwood's year. Rochester needs to avoid the slip, like rocket hinted at. Mac has done crazy things in recent years, albeit with much better athletes to throw at the big 3 in the CS8. The absence of Johnson-Cook has been too much to overcome for the Generals this season it appears.

I'll have updates from QND/Jax, like normal barring anything crazy. Going to be a fun day, golf with the sales reps then hussle to Jacksonville for dinner and football.

Elsewhere, big week for SHG to put some haters to rest. 5-2 after the way the season began is respectable. I know their standard is much higher but you can see them getting stronger and better each week. That's all you can ask for at this point. 4A again likely in the playoffs, right? That's got to be the bright light they're hoping to get to at this point. Lincoln with the opportunity of a lifetime to absolutely wreck Glenwood's year. Rochester needs to avoid the slip, like rocket hinted at. Mac has done crazy things in recent years, albeit with much better athletes to throw at the big 3 in the CS8. The absence of Johnson-Cook has been too much to overcome for the Generals this season it appears.
I defer to @cornerrat but think SHG is going to be 5A in the playoffs again.

Should Jacksonville get 5 wins, which I think is likely, they are on the edge of dropping from 5A to 4A.

Johnson Cook was going to be a DC's nightmare for the next 3 years. His move to Texas was a huge hit to the Generals. I think they are also starting a Freshman at QB which is always challenging.

SHG will be 5a in the playoffs. please note the (*) after their enrollment number and then refer to the top of the page as to what that means.

Reactions: rocketnation

Should Jacksonville get 5 wins, which I think is likely, they are on the edge of dropping from 5A to 4A.

Johnson Cook was going to be a DC's nightmare for the next 3 years. His move to Texas was a huge hit to the Generals. I think they are also starting a Freshman at QB which is always challenging.
As of today, Jacksonville is officially for 4a. The 4A bracket took a significant change this week as the largest school went from 841 (Geneseo) to 936 (Woodstock North).

Highland, Centralia, Metamora (ever heard of them?), Chicago Corliss, and Rochelle (which dry dumped Morris last week) have also dropped from 5A to 4A. We haven’t seen an enrollment number in 4A this high since 2010. Speaking of 2010… Anyone remember who won state that year? Asking for a friend…

Last edited:
A consequential week with two games with major playoff implications and three others that should be interesting for different reasons.

West Division
QND (5-1) at Jacksonville (4-2)
The Crimsons are coming off a difficult defeat to Springfield, where they lost a one-point lead in the game's final minute. They ran for over 300 yards against the Senators but also gave up 400 yards passing. QND's 2nd road game of the year, with the 1st being a close 14-9 victory over Springfield. With a win Friday, the Raiders have an excellent chance of going 8-1. The Crimsons would love to pull off an upset for their 5th win and then would have a decent chance of ending the regular season 7-2. QND has found a way to win since Week I and I like them in a close one. QND 29 Jacksonville 23. Massey prediction: QND 32 Jacksonville 21.

SHG (4-2) at Springfield (5-1)
The battle of Washington Street has been pretty one-sided recently in favor of the Cyclones. After losing to QND in Week 4, SHG has had two games to adjust to having a new QB and utilizing their former QB at RB. SHG's defense takes a hit as it will be without two starting Defensive Ends who were ejected in last week's game and have to serve a suspension. Springfield is coming off an emotional last-minute victory over Jacksonville, where they passed for over 400 yards but allowed over 300 yards in rushing. An important question is whether the Senators can come out on top in a difficult emotional game for the second week in a row. Springfield would prefer not to need to throw over 40 times again this week and would like to get their hard to tackle main RB more carries. Expect SHG to run first to then set up the pass. The Cyclones should win in a tight contest. SHG 31 Springfield 26. Massey prediction: SHG 41 Springfield 14.

Lanphier (0-6) at Southeast (0-6) Saturday 1 pm at Memorial Stadium
Someone will get their first win of the season. The Eastside has been marginally better than the Northend so far this season. Southeast 34 Lanphier 16. Massey prediction: Southeast 42 Lanphier 14.

East Division
U High (4-2) at Eisenhower (0-6)
The Panther's starting QB was injured last week against Rochester and taken off by ambulance. His status is unknown. The Pioneers should score early and often and get a quick running clock. U High 54 Eisenhower 0. Massey prediction: U High 49 Eisenhower 12.

Lincoln (4-2) at Chatham (4-2)
Lincoln had their best win of this season last week against MacArthur, while Chatham had their worst loss to U High. Homecoming week in Chatham. The Railers will try to run the ball and take time off the clock. Last week showed that the Titans really need to get WR Blake Lehnen healthy and back on the field. His speed and deep threat ability will be crucial if Chatham is to a make a playoff run. The Railers still have a chance at 5 wins, but this is not their week. Expect a big bounce back by the Titans. Chatham 53 Lincoln 14. Massey prediction: Chatham 42 Lincoln 7.

Rochester (4-2) at MacArthur (2-4)
The Rockets did not start well at all against Eisenhower last week, with the defense allowing several long drives and the offense only scoring in the last minute of the 1st quarter to lead 7-0. MacArthur has played well at home against Rochester in past years. A fast start for the visitors is essential as is a consistent 4-quarter effort. If Rochester starts like last week, expect the Generals to gain confidence. Mac lost 43-33 on the road at Lincoln last week but played better against both Springfield and Chatham, particularly on defense, at home in earlier season losses. Rochester 38 MacArthur 12. Massey prediction: Rochester 42 MacArthur 7.
Teams smell blood in the water when playing Chatham, Rochester and SHG. I think DeMac plays well unless they've packed it in for the year. I like Mark G and Jax but Im on the QND bandwagon. If Bama can lose to Vandy, Chatham can lose to Lincoln. I see SHS giving SHG a battle but then again, watch SHG win by 40!

All.... Correct. Success factor rule after back to back finals in 2021 and 2022 locked SHG before the season even started for the next two seasons regardless of multiplied enrollment into class 5A. Ratsy

All.... The Crimsons certainly had chances in last weeks game. What really hurt them was they had three pick six plays in the the game against the Senators with a clear path into the end zone. All three of the balls right into the db hands were dropped. That is 18 lost points in a tight game.

Of note also two of Jacksonville's pass coverage starters are freshman. QB Scheffler picked on them all night long especially on that last minute 80yard winning drive. A tough position to play even more so when you are just a freshman. I would imagine the Raiders are devoting much more time in practice this week to the air game. Ratsy

Last edited:
Teams smell blood in the water when playing Chatham, Rochester and SHG. I think DeMac plays well unless they've packed it in for the year. I like Mark G and Jax but Im on the QND bandwagon. If Bama can lose to Vandy, Chatham can lose to Lincoln. I see SHS giving SHG a battle but then again, watch SHG win by 40!
While it was Eisenhower the Rockets played last Friday, it was interesting to note how the game changed significantly when Derek pulled Beal from safety for much of the game and left him in only at quarterback. This allowed Derek to talk with him on the sidelines, which is integral with his offense. Beal’s reads changed and the offense moved well. I expect to see the Rockets run it up a bit against MacArthur.

The Rockets also benefited from the return of their linebacker.

It must be noted, the first quarter was sloppy and the Rockets still scored 48 unanswered points in the remaining three quarters.

While it was Eisenhower the Rockets played last Friday, it was interesting to note how the game changed significantly when Derek pulled Beal from safety for much of the game and left him in only at quarterback. This allowed Derek to talk with him on the sidelines, which is integral with his offense. Beal’s reads changed and the offense moved well. I expect to see the Rockets run it up a bit against MacArthur.

The Rockets also benefited from the return of their linebacker.

It must be noted, the first quarter was sloppy and the Rockets still scored 48 unanswered points in the remaining three quarters.
It's a bit of a gamble because Beal is by far his best Safety and it hurts the defense to have him on the sidelines. But it's a necessary move, particularly since Derek does not seem ready to go to either the JV or Freshman QB's.

Reactions: cigaros
As of today, Jacksonville is officially for 4a. The 4A bracket took a significant change this week as the largest school went from 841 (Geneseo) to 936 (Woodstock North).

Highland, Centralia, Metamora (ever heard of them?), Chicago Corliss, and Rochelle (which dry dumped Morris last week) have also dropped from 5A to 4A. We haven’t seen an enrollment number in 4A this high since 2010. Speaking of 2010… Anyone remember who won state that year? Asking for a friend…
Surely it was Metamora*... ;) "They were so good back then"

Playing golf with a certain Rochester QB from that "Metamora* v. Rochester" era on Friday. Really good dude. Heckuva QB/LB in his prime also.

Soucie's Projections as of today as far as CS8 teams are concerned:

QND - 2A
Rochester and U-High - 4A
SHG and Jacksonville - 5A
Glenwood and Springfield - 6A

5A South really interesting as of this moment with both Naz and JCA in the bracket.

Soucie's Projections as of today as far as CS8 teams are concerned:

QND - 2A
Rochester and U-High - 4A
SHG and Jacksonville - 5A
Glenwood and Springfield - 6A

5A South really interesting as of this moment with both Naz and JCA in the bracket.
Is Quincy still showing in 6A?

Dun, dun, dun..... Sorry Glenwood. o_O

Quincy currently 7A in the projections.

CPL leagues that were thought to only qualify their champion will now qualify two teams, and it seems a lot of teams got bumped up a bracket due to some unexpected coming into the 1A and/or 2A brackets.
Dun, Dun, Dun... Sorry Quincy o_O

• Haha
Reactions: FB1976
It's a bit of a gamble because Beal is by far his best Safety and it hurts the defense to have him on the sidelines. But it's a necessary move, particularly since Derek does not seem ready to go to either the JV or Freshman QB's.
Agreed. #10 can sling it. And so can #5. However, number five still looks tentative when he runs with it.

Not to disrespect Eisenhower, but to definitely disrespect MacArthur, who has a lot of smack talkers, especially one in particular, these two games are a nice break from the regular season as they are the only two teams with a losing record Rochester 🏈 will play this year. this gives Derek an opportunity to work with his quarterback over a four week period without being concerned with him on defense.

Quincy currently 7A in the projections.

CPL leagues that were thought to only qualify their champion will now qualify two teams, and it seems a lot of teams got bumped up a bracket due to some unexpected coming into the 1A and/or 2A brackets.
Quincy has pretty much split their time between seven and six an over the past 20 years. They actually have a better winning percentage in 7A. Frankly, I think going 7A is better for them because East St. Louis, the best team in the state, would be their southern bracket opponent before state. If state is a possibility. That said, Chicago Mt. Carmel awaits them in 7A.

The Channel 1450 picks are in, and they have chosen:
QND (3-0)
SHG (2-1)
Southeast (3-0)
U High (3-0)
Chatham (3-0)
Rochester (3-0)

It is interesting to note, after 6 weeks that 2 teams are essentially in the playoffs with five wins and 6 other teams are one win away from qualifying with 4 wins. For some of those 4 win teams the last 3 games are the challenging part of schedule.

It would seem that the top of the league has come down to merge with the middle level.

How are the crossover games in Weeks 8 and 9 determined? Is it a rotation or is agreed by teams each year?

It is interesting to note, after 6 weeks that 2 teams are essentially in the playoffs with five wins and 6 other teams are one win away from qualifying with 4 wins. For some of those 4 win teams the last 3 games are the challenging part of schedule.

It would seem that the top of the league has come down to merge with the middle level.

How are the crossover games in Weeks 8 and 9 determined? Is it a rotation or is agreed by teams each year?
I believe Weeks 8 and 9 were agreements by the teams for this year but am not sure how long that it lasts.

I thought they were going to be 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6 from previous year but heard some teams wanted to protect rivalries - Chatham and/or Rochester vs SHG I’m guessing
The way they have it split up this year isn't terrible. The exception being U-High who gets SE and Lanphier... I feel like moving forward that's a great start for crossovers if we're looking to protect rivalries and attempt to create decent football games as well.

Glenwood - SHG, SHS
Ike - Lanphier, SE
Mac - Jax, QND
Lincoln - QND, Jax
U-High - SE, Lanphier
Rochester - SHS, SHG

Could always just swap Lincoln and U-High creating....

Glenwood - SHG, SHS
Ike - Lanphier, SE
Mac - Jax, QND
Lincoln- SE, Lanphier
U-High - QND, Jax
Rochester - SHS, SHG

Assuming the gripe was likely about Rochester/Glenwood/SHG/SHS getting a piece of each other each season. Which, is understandable from my perspective.

As it currently stands - doing the 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6 approach - and sorry SHS I'm assuming an SHG victory for this (not a sure thing by any stretch...) - would result in these matchups next year which, at initial glance are pretty good. U-High will be replacing a senior QB who is really good - I think Mac is probably better than their counterparts in the 5-6 spots by a decent margin.

SHG and QND vs Rochester and Glenwood

SHS and Jax vs U-High and Lincoln

SE and Lanphier vs Mac and Eisenhower

All... Crossovers set for two years is what I was told. The issue might become division changes. A review supposedly every two years as well. Achieving equity in the divisions will never be perfect.

I doubt as well they would form a bloodbath division among the upper tier teams and the rest. No one wants to be left out among the regular postseason teams. Ratsy

As it currently stands - doing the 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6 approach - and sorry SHS I'm assuming an SHG victory for this (not a sure thing by any stretch...) - would result in these matchups next year which, at initial glance are pretty good. U-High will be replacing a senior QB who is really good - I think Mac is probably better than their counterparts in the 5-6 spots by a decent margin.

SHG and QND vs Rochester and Glenwood

SHS and Jax vs U-High and Lincoln

SE and Lanphier vs Mac and Eisenhower
Me likey... but me know we'd likely be showing up to be the slaughter.

Are they on the 6A/7A bubble? I have to remind myself that Chatham is young and has some injuries so as not to put higher expectations on them. QND may be the sole survivor reaching deeper in the playoff than anyone else from the CS8.
Quincy v. Kenwood in 7A but we have a long way to go b4 anything is settled!

Are they on the 6A/7A bubble? I have to remind myself that Chatham is young and has some injuries so as not to put higher expectations on them. QND may be the sole survivor reaching deeper in the playoff than anyone else from the CS8.
Quincy was one of two schools that were noted as "Moved from 6A last week" along with Willowbrook. That bracket has 7A as 1868 (Willowbrook) to 2255 (Glenbard East).

From the mind of Chris Duerr, KHQA (CBS) TV Sports Director.

Chris has been giving us "Duerrisms" now for somewhere in the ballpark of 20-25 years now. His thoughts on QND/Jax... should also be noted Duerr is quite the Jacksonville fan, or at least has shown them a lot of love over his 30ish years at this position.

Link to entire read below. KHQA covers quite a bit of ground in west central IL.

4)QUINCY NOTRE DAME (5-1)

Last Week: 77-6 win over Lanphier

Up Next: at Jacksonville

HOT READS: To be honest, I am a bit miffed in having to pass over Jack Brenner for Player of the Week Honors here. Quarterbacks get too much love as it is. How often does a guy go out and grab not one, but two Pick Six Interceptions in a game? Moreover, how often does it happen twice during an opponent's first three offensive snaps?? Insane stuff here and it almost feels like maybe we spoke this into existence in this column last week by referring to Jack as criminally underrated. Every football-savvy fan in the Tri-State's is now talking about this kid after his Baseball Digest-styled "Game I Will Never Forget" moment against overmatched Lanphier. And here's the rub: intercepting the football isn't remotely one of the calling card reasons why you should know Jack as an integral part of Ben Morrison's defense. He just stepped into the moment and did something right to impact winning for his defense. Granted, it was an off-brand contribution for a Linebacker but also indicative of his ability to be "grout" in the brick wall construct of this terrific looking group. Brenner's big night is the distillation of an ethic that if you play aware, work unselfishly for the guy next to you, stick to your specific job requirement, and love contact, you engender good things for the collective. And in so doing, some nights you get to be absolutely magical in doing. Mister Brenner's Opus was merely the coolest thing that happened for the Raiders on a night of really cool things happening. Jack Cornell working in a Big Man Touchdown for Offensive Lineman Ryan Darnell off the hook-and-lateral play was a super cool moment that only someone who selflessly played in the trenches in their career and truly appreciate. The Raiders scored touchdowns in every single phase of the game, including punt return scores for Wyatt Mueller and Gavin Doellman. Ivan Hun got to knock off a week's worth of rust (successfully) with an even 100 rushing yards and two touchdowns just in time for more pressing work ahead. All in all, it was a fun and very successful night against, speaking plainly, a not terribly dangerous opponent. That equation changes radically in The Ville next week as Mark Grounds Crimsons will be coming off a tough loss to Springfield and fighting to keep their prospects of a home playoff game alive. Considering the circumstance, the size of Jacksonville's line, and the speed of the Crimson backfield, one could reasonably argue that Jacksonville presents the Raiders a challenge every bit as sizeable as the one they faced in Springfield two weeks ago. If you have not previously played a Mark Grounds-led football team, especially at Kraushaar-Rosenberger Field, there is some inherent defensive challenge implicit in that which is really unique. It is not a coincidence that the Crimsons dropped 29 points on a good Springfield High Defense even with key pieces missing on Friday. See also how hard the Raider Offense had to fight to find fourteen points against that same Senator Defense a fortnight ago. Make no mistake, the Quincy Notre Dame defense is going to get punched in the mouth a few times here by the explosive ability the Crimsons possess; perhaps the most offensive firepower the Raiders have faced since Quincy High. This week the test for Quincy Notre Dame is how you weather the storm and how you answer back when that inevitable adversity rises. Honestly, this is one of the more intriguing head-to-head battles of the entire season.

After running the predictor algorithm models, QND is predicted to lose in the 2A final.

Reactions: Alexander32
South County News "Mr. Pick'em" Predictions
QND 41 Jacksonville 28
SHG 42 Springfield 29
Southeast 19 Lanphier 14
Chatham 35 Lincoln 14
Rochester 35 MacArthur 16
U High 68 Eisenhower 13

Reactions: jthebro2
SJR Staff Predictions
QND 20 Jacksonville 14
SHG 28 Springfield 21
Southeast 28 Lanphier 7
Chatham 42 Lincoln 14
Rochester 35 MacArthur 7
Frankly, I think Rochester will "clock" MacArthur. Mac's 2 wins are against teams with a combined 2-10 record. Whereas their 4 losses are against teams with a 17-7 record. Aside from Lincoln, which has ZERO defense, in their losses they've managed an average of 6 points while allowing 36 points. Lincoln, which averaged 3.5 points vs U-High and Rochester, scored 43 on the Generals. MacArthur, will go the likes of Lincoln and Springfield and lose their remaining three games emphatically.

Remaining schedules of:
MacArthur (2-4)- Rochester , Jacksonville, QND- an outside chance of finishing 1-2 (catching an unpredictable Jacksonville)
Springfield (5-1)- SHG, Rochester, Chatham- an outside chance of finishing 1-2 (catching SHG in a down year)
Lincoln (4-2)- Chatham, QND, Jacksonville- definitely going 0-3

On the reciprocal, U-High could be dangerous in the playoffs as they will be incredibly well rested. Their remaining schedule is a list of perennial bottom dweller winless teams- Ike, Southeast, and Lanphier.

Frankly, I think Rochester will "clock" MacArthur. Mac's 2 wins are against teams with a combined 2-10 record. Whereas their 4 losses are against teams with a 17-7 record. Aside from Lincoln, which has ZERO defense, in their losses they've managed an average of 6 points while allowing 36 points. Lincoln, which averaged 3.5 points vs U-High and Rochester, scored 43 on the Generals. MacArthur, will go the likes of Lincoln and Springfield and lose their remaining three games emphatically.

Remaining schedules of:
MacArthur (2-4)- Rochester , Jacksonville, QND- an outside chance of finishing 1-2 (catching an unpredictable Jacksonville)
Springfield (5-1)- SHG, Rochester, Chatham- an outside chance of finishing 1-2 (catching SHG in a down year)
Lincoln (4-2)- Chatham, QND, Jacksonville- definitely going 0-3

On the reciprocal, U-High could be dangerous in the playoffs as they will be incredibly well rested. Their remaining schedule is a list of perennial bottom dweller winless teams- Ike, Southeast, and Lanphier.
Last year, 7-2 couldn't get U High a 1st round home game. We'll see what 7-2 does this year, but with a decent draw they could make a deep run in 4A. Their offense is legit.

Hope you're right about the Generals. Mac has had problems scoring and should never have given up 43 to Lincoln last week. However, they did hold Springfield to 21 points at home and were only down 13-6 against Chatham late in the 3rd at home before losing 34-6.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaros
Last year, 7-2 couldn't get U High a 1st round home game. We'll see what 7-2 does this year, but with a decent draw they could make a deep run in 4A. There offense is legit.

Hope you're right about the Generals. Mac has had problems scoring and should never have given up 43 to Lincoln last week. However, they did hold Springfield to 21 points at home and were only down 13-6 against Chatham late in the 3rd at home before losing 34-6.
We see this way too often out of MacArthur. If opposing offenses and defenses get into the heads of the Generals, they fall apart. We saw this in 2015, 16, 19, 22 & 23. But never more so than in 2017 when the undefeated MacArthur came in with all of the hype around the Brummet twins and then got dismantled and "clocked". Of the 9 games between these two, 6 of 8 Rochester wins have included a running clock. Their only loss was by 5 points while having their 2nd string sophomore quarterback run the offense for 33 points. Interestingly, the injured qb came into the game and managed to put a couple scores on the board to keep it close. Also of note, the qb with the highest rating in that game was a freshman who went 4 for 7 with a td and a 121 rating. His name....Nic Baker.

MacArthur has played a schedule 87% easier than Rochester (per Maxpreps) and has a losing record against it. Frankly, if #25 can stop fumbling the ball (3 this year), and #9 is a sponge for all of Derek's wizardry and works thru his reads without staring his receivers down the field, this game should be over midway thru the 3rd quarter; we can get out of Decatur and remove the smell of wet dog and soggy french fries out of our clothes as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Last year, 7-2 couldn't get U High a 1st round home game. We'll see what 7-2 does this year, but with a decent draw they could make a deep run in 4A. There offense is legit.

As for Springfield, I truly see their 5-1 record as a farce. They have played a schedule of losing records and beaten only a mid level Jacksonville. As for Chatham, they are revealing themselves to be inconsistent. I think the Titans took the Generals for granted during the week of practice leading up to the game after propping their egos up from their victory over Rochester.

As for U-High, that was a tough break for them. The playoff points were low and they weren't ready for a run heavy Coal City. Rochester put a clock on Coal City the week after. This year does not look better as I think they will only get to the 31 point mark. Last year, 31 playoff points among the 7-2 teams puts a squad at second to last in seeding. This year, they sit at 7th to last in the collection of 4-2 teams. They are dead last in the list of 4A schools with the same 4-2 record. And if things hold true, they will be dead last in 4A among schools with a 7-2 record. It does not help that their last three opponents are winless and I don't believe there will be more than 2 wins from those three teams out of their last combined 9 games. If the playoffs started this week, they would be a 15 seed and beat Olney before hosting Rochester in the second round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT