ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 6

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Two games with major playoff implications and a matchup between the conference's top 2 QB's highlight Week 6.

West Division
Lanphier (0-5) at QND (4-1)
Coming off an important road win against Springfield, QND returns home this week against the Lions. Common opponents: QND beat Springfield 14-9. Lanphier lost 51-12. QND beat SHG 37-7. Lanphier lost 63-6. QND should get a big lead quickly and turn it over to the reserves. QND 48 Lanphier 0. Massey prediction: QND 42 Lanphier 0.

SHG (3-2) at Southeast (0-5) Saturday 1 pm at Memorial Stadium
After almost winning in Week 1 against East Peoria, the Spartans have lost each of their next 4 games by at least 21 points. Common opponents: SHG lost 37-7 to QND. Southeast lost 43-0. SHG beat Jacksonville 35-10. Southeast lost 40-0. SHG should win comfortably. SHG 45 Southeast 8. Massey prediction: SHG 47 Southeast 7.

Jacksonville (4-1) at Springfield (4-1)
A huge game for both teams. Coming off a tough last-minute loss to QND, Springfield does get to play this one at home. Should the Crimsons lose, their schedule is a little more favorable to getting a 5th win than the Senators. Jacksonville faces MacArthur in Week 8 at home and Lincoln on the road Week 9. I would consider them at this time a moderate favorite in both games. Common opponents: Jacksonville beat Lanphier 76-14. Springfield beat them 51-12. Jacksonville beat Southeast 40-0. Springfield beat them 51-24. The Crimsons have been a mostly running team so far this season, while the Senators have a more balanced offensive attack. That run/pass balance and home field advantage should be enough to get the Senators a close win. Springfield 27 Jacksonville 16. Massey prediction: Jacksonville 28 Springfield 27.

East Division
Eisenhower (0-5) at Rochester (3-2)
Homecoming week for the Rockets. Common opponents: Rochester lost to Chatham 45-17. Eisenhower lost 56-14. Rochester beat Lincoln 63-7. Eisenhower lost 55-24. Derek would like to get an early lead and then give his 2-way players some rest along with getting some of the injured Rockets healthy. Eisenhower has scored at least two TD's each week but has also allowed 55 or more points in every game except for Week 1. Rochester 52 Eisenhower 6. Massey prediction: Rochester 49 Eisenhower 7.

MacArthur (2-3) at Lincoln (3-2)
The loser of this game is very unlikely to make the playoffs. The winner still has challenges going forward but retains hope. Mac played well last week at home against Chatham for 3 quarters before losing 34-6. The powerful Titans offense had only 13 points until late in the 3rd. Can the Generals replicate that performance on the road? Lincoln's wins are over Lanphier, Southeast, and Eisenhower. Can they win against better competition and then perhaps knock off Jacksonville in Week 9? Common opponents: Mac lost to U High 48-7. Lincoln lost 52-0. Mac beat Eisenhower 55-12. Lincoln beat them 55-24. This is an interesting contest as Lincoln is a running team and Mac usually defends that well. In their five combined losses, Mac and Lincoln have not scored more than 7 points. Expect a close but fairly low scoring contest. MacArthur 20 Lincoln 12. Massey prediction: MacArthur 35 Lincoln 14.

Chatham (4-1) at U High (3-2)
The conference's top QB's, Colten Knoedler of Chatham and Alek Weiland of U High, face off in a potentially high scoring game. Both performed very well against Rochester, and each has multiple receiving options. Coming off of a tough 38-30 loss to Rochester, can U High bounce back at home and upset the Titans? Common opponents: Chatham beat Rochester 45-17. U High lost 38-30. Chatham beat MacArthur 34-6. U High beat them 48-7. The Titans would love to have a fast start and take hope away from the Pioneers early. Pass protection will be critical for U High. They also need a better defensive effort than last week and a lucky break or two. I think this is a 4-quarter game, but the Titans come out on top. Chatham 47 U High 27. Massey prediction: Chatham 42 U High 27.

Nice post. The Jax/SHS game is hard to pick. How tough is SHS? How tough is QND? How tough is SHG, which got throttled by QND? How tough is Rochester after getting throttled by Chatham? This is how I look at teams in the CS8. Who is tough and who hasn't played anyone and has a good record. Of course Im playing with house money here so I have no risk lol

MacArthur played Chatham tough but they usually do because they have a good head coach and athletes. Here's my take lol, and I will be wrong.
~~ U-High has always played Chatham tough but the scores were not indicative of just how tough U-High played.
Chatham 45-30

MacArthur had plenty of chances to hit Chatham in the mouth but either the ball was overthrown, to wide open receivers, or penalties killed the play. The Chatham game should've been a bit closer... Say 26-20.
Generals 34-28

Rochester will be a tough out when the playoffs start. They are having to use younger athletes that are also very good athletes. Over the next 4 weeks these boys will only get better!
Rochester ugly over Ike 55-18

Jacksonville runs the ball and it works for them. Jacksonville also lead SHG at the half so they can play with teams that are perceived to be tougher than them. SHS hasn't played anyone aside from QND and that game had me scratching my head.
Runnin Crimson's 28-20

SHG playing SE in a game that could be a surprise. SE can put some points on the board but will they stop any Cyclone drives?
Cyclones 39-24

QND/Lanphier. Where the hell is the Crawford kid from the past? Lanphier needs someone like him.
Da Raiders 45-14

Hard to believe that when the CS8 was a new conference, one of the best rivalries was SHG vs Lanphier.
When would that have been? I can't even imagine it now. I mean there has to be some incredible athletes in the halls at Lanphier though. Their round ball team is always top-notch.

When would that have been? I can't even imagine it now. I mean there has to be some incredible athletes in the halls at Lanphier though. Their round ball team is always top-notch.
I think the CS8's first year was around '92/'93. Very early on, Lanphier beat SHG in the regular season but then lost to them in the playoffs. I believe both games were decided by a single score.

The Lions have produced at least three NBA players. Kevin Gamble and Ed Horton overlapped in the mid 1980's, when they won a state title together. After Gamble graduated, Horton took them to another final. My alma mater stopped scheduling them until after Horton graduated. Andre Iguodala just recently retired after a long run with Golden State and multiple rings.

I think the CS8's first year was around '92/'93. Very early on, Lanphier beat SHG in the regular season but then lost to them in the playoffs. I believe both games were decided by a single score.

The Lions have produced at least three NBA players. Kevin Gamble and Ed Horton overlapped in the mid 1980's, when they won a state title together. After Gamble graduated, Horton took them to another final. My alma mater stopped scheduling them until after Horton graduated. Andre Iguodala just recently retired after a long run with Golden State and multiple rings.
Wow, I went and looked on IHSA at their football history, 4 straight 4A playoff teams from '93-'96... Head Coach John Oaks. Have to say he appears to be the best coach Lanphier has seen in their program's lifetime. Overall 43-27 record over 7 season. 4 qualifiers including back-to-back 8-1 regular season finishes. Have to go all the way back to the 1930s and 1940s to find a coach with a higher winning percentage at Lanphier. Coach Don T Anderson posted a .708 win % (40-15 overall record) over 7 seasons from 1937-1943. Interesting indeed. Proof it can be done, sort of. Modern football is much different than it was in the 90s, sure. But again, we all know the talent resides in those halls. You just have to be able to get them to commit. Much tougher these days after two decades of consistently poor results.

Like I said, I knew their basketball program had some pedigree to it. Impressive in it's own right for sure.

Also really interested in the Massey pick for Lincoln/Mac. I personally wouldn't have expected Mac to be favored by 3 scores. Mac is way down compared to recent years from what I've seen and gathered. I saw Lincoln once this year, granted it was against Southeast. A game where they put up 41, which was enough, but SE really moved the ball on them in the 2nd half that day. Lincoln's offense though was pretty solid the day I saw them. Granted, Rochester and U-High both held Linoln's offense to a stand still.

Mac holding SHS to 21 is where I get a bit perplexed. SHS is a pretty darn good football team this year. Not sure if circumstances dictated a slower pace for SHS or if they just had an off night offensively that led to the 14 pt spread. Regardless, I see what you're saying about playoff implications with this one. Both teams' schedule down the stretch is pretty brutal. Mac has Rochester, Jax, QND and Lincoln's remaining schedule is currently 12-3 overall (Glenwood, QND, Jax).

Reactions: rocketnation
Jacksonville runs the ball and it works for them. Jacksonville also lead SHG at the half so they can play with teams that are perceived to be tougher than them. SHS hasn't played anyone aside from QND and that game had me scratching my head.
Runnin Crimson's 28-20
I'll just say this much... SHS surprised me last week. I was led to believe and many were saying that SHS hadn't played anyone and this and that and the other. I was pleasantly surprised, and admittedly it led to much frustration for QND, at how good a football team SHS is this season. I obviously don't have history to fall back on to compare from a QND fan's standpoint, but they were good. Organized, well coached. Their defense was aggressive. I think QND really felt the size difference also as SHS had some big bodies that were breaking through the QND o-line often and causing issues. Offensively, SHS has some serious potential. Their RB1 is a load, both in size and ability. He's faster than what I'd seen on tape but QND finally started to penetrate up front and he wasn't able to get a full load of steam behind him as the game went on, but early in the 1st half SHS run game went nuts on the Raiders. That QB they have is not bad at all either. He's got the arm, he's obviously unsure of that arm at times and the wind last Friday was terrible so that may have caused him to overthink a lot of throws. He did a nice job of extending plays though which is where he burned QND a few times. QND would get to him and he was able to make a move and scramble out for a few yards each time.

At the end of last week's game I came away thinking QND had finally played a CS8 program that had the size and speed to negate what QND is good at this year. Which is quickness and getting the ball quickly into playmakers hands and letting them carve up from there. Credit the Raiders for finding a way to win that one also, they dug deep to pull that one out. But I mean just the amount of bodies SHS was able to keep rolling out versus the same two-way guys QND was wearing down was noticeable finally. I expected that from SHG also they just didn't have the depth this year I think they normally possess.

Should also be noted that QND was without RB1, Ivan Hun. Whom is a much larger, more powerful, more complete back. Credit Oliver Triplett for carrying the load against SHS, he got absolutely swallowed up by the SHS front 8 much of the night. It'd be very nice to have Hun in the backfield sooner than later. He gives us some depth at RB and certainly can withstand the assault that 20+ carries can deliver. At least more so than the 5'8 150 lb Triplett can against 5A (or 6A in SHS case) defenses.

Also really interested in the Massey pick for Lincoln/Mac. I personally wouldn't have expected Mac to be favored by 3 scores. Mac is way down compared to recent years from what I've seen and gathered. I saw Lincoln once this year, granted it was against Southeast. A game where they put up 41, which was enough, but SE really moved the ball on them in the 2nd half that day. Lincoln's offense though was pretty solid the day I saw them. Granted, Rochester and U-High both held Linoln's offense to a stand still.

Mac holding SHS to 21 is where I get a bit perplexed. SHS is a pretty darn good football team this year. Not sure if circumstances dictated a slower pace for SHS or if they just had an off night offensively that led to the 14 pt spread. Regardless, I see what you're saying about playoff implications with this one. Both teams' schedule down the stretch is pretty brutal. Mac has Rochester, Jax, QND and Lincoln's remaining schedule is currently 12-3 overall (Glenwood, QND, Jax).
This could be my opinion only but there is no CS8 team that plays more differently on the road than at home than Mac. Mac is the only conference school with wins over Rochester, SHG, and Chatham. All those wins came at home or at Stephen Decatur. They also have some narrow home losses to both Rochester and Chatham. On the road, it's another story. Rochester running clocked the Generals at home one year when they had the talented Brummett twins at QB and WR and some big hitters on defense.

It looks like Mac's defense has been pretty good this year (except for the road game with U High) but that the offense has struggled. Who wouldn't miss Myson Johnson Cook? I agree that a 3-score margin seems too much.

Reactions: RoaminCatholic
Wow, I went and looked on IHSA at their football history, 4 straight 4A playoff teams from '93-'96... Head Coach John Oaks. Have to say he appears to be the best coach Lanphier has seen in their program's lifetime. Overall 43-27 record over 7 season. 4 qualifiers including back-to-back 8-1 regular season finishes. Have to go all the way back to the 1930s and 1940s to find a coach with a higher winning percentage at Lanphier. Coach Don T Anderson posted a .708 win % (40-15 overall record) over 7 seasons from 1937-1943. Interesting indeed. Proof it can be done, sort of. Modern football is much different than it was in the 90s, sure. But again, we all know the talent resides in those halls. You just have to be able to get them to commit. Much tougher these days after two decades of consistently poor results.

Like I said, I knew their basketball program had some pedigree to it. Impressive in it's own right for sure.
John was a very good coach. He came back to Lanphier to coach again but never repeated his initial success at Lanphier,

I'll just say this much... SHS surprised me last week. I was led to believe and many were saying that SHS hadn't played anyone and this and that and the other. I was pleasantly surprised, and admittedly it led to much frustration for QND, at how good a football team SHS is this season. I obviously don't have history to fall back on to compare from a QND fan's standpoint, but they were good. Organized, well coached. Their defense was aggressive. I think QND really felt the size difference also as SHS had some big bodies that were breaking through the QND o-line often and causing issues. Offensively, SHS has some serious potential. Their RB1 is a load, both in size and ability. He's faster than what I'd seen on tape but QND finally started to penetrate up front and he wasn't able to get a full load of steam behind him as the game went on, but early in the 1st half SHS run game went nuts on the Raiders. That QB they have is not bad at all either. He's got the arm, he's obviously unsure of that arm at times and the wind last Friday was terrible so that may have caused him to overthink a lot of throws. He did a nice job of extending plays though which is where he burned QND a few times. QND would get to him and he was able to make a move and scramble out for a few yards each time.

At the end of last week's game I came away thinking QND had finally played a CS8 program that had the size and speed to negate what QND is good at this year. Which is quickness and getting the ball quickly into playmakers hands and letting them carve up from there. Credit the Raiders for finding a way to win that one also, they dug deep to pull that one out. But I mean just the amount of bodies SHS was able to keep rolling out versus the same two-way guys QND was wearing down was noticeable finally. I expected that from SHG also they just didn't have the depth this year I think they normally possess.

Should also be noted that QND was without RB1, Ivan Hun. Whom is a much larger, more powerful, more complete back. Credit Oliver Triplett for carrying the load against SHS, he got absolutely swallowed up by the SHS front 8 much of the night. It'd be very nice to have Hun in the backfield sooner than later. He gives us some depth at RB and certainly can withstand the assault that 20+ carries can deliver. At least more so than the 5'8 150 lb Triplett can against 5A (or 6A in SHS case) defenses.
SHS gave QND their best shot! Da Raiders whacked SHG and that got everyone's attention.

Reactions: cigaros
SHS gave QND their best shot! Da Raiders whacked SHG and that got everyone's attention.
I'm telling you man. SHS far exceeded my expectations last Friday. And for that matter, SHG underwhelmed in a more surprising manner.
What surprised me the most was how well coached and disciplined SHS played last week. They had a few penalties late that really helped foster QND's comeback. But overall they were sound on both sides. I believe it's SHS' coach's first season, correct? If he can keep getting the talent to show, he's going to have SHS in that 2nd level of the CS8 for years to come now and he'll certainly win a lot of games in the CS8 West.

I'm telling you man. SHS far exceeded my expectations last Friday. And for that matter, SHG underwhelmed in a more surprising manner.
What surprised me the most was how well coached and disciplined SHS played last week. They had a few penalties late that really helped foster QND's comeback. But overall they were sound on both sides. I believe it's SHS' coach's first season, correct? If he can keep getting the talent to show, he's going to have SHS in that 2nd level of the CS8 for years to come now and he'll certainly win a lot of games in the CS8 West.
SHS coach is in his 3rd year. It always helps to have a QB starting for his 2nd year. The Senators have the largest enrollment in the CS8 and have been able to field Freshman, JV, and Varsity teams when many in the conference no longer can. They should be a playoff team most seasons. Their main RB this year looks hard to tackle.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaros
SJR Staff Predictions
QND 45 Lanphier 7
SHG 56 Southeast 14
Springfield 20 Jacksonville 18
Rochester 56 Eisenhower 0
Lincoln 19 MacArthur 13
Chatham 35 U High 28

I hadn't checked on former MacArthur RB Myson Johnson Cook's progress in a few weeks. The DeSoto Texas RB has 7 TD's and is averaging almost 11 yards a carry through 5 weeks. DeSoto is ranked #5 in Texas and 20th in the nation.

South County News "Mr. Pick'Em" Predictions
QND 55 Lanphier 6
SHG 47 Southeast 13
Springfield 32 Jacksonville 27
Rochester 49 Eisenhower 6
MacArthur 21 Lincoln 15
Chatham 31 U High 20

I hadn't checked on former MacArthur RB Myson Johnson Cook's progress in a few weeks. The DeSoto Texas RB has 7 TD's and is averaging almost 11 yards a carry through 5 weeks. DeSoto is ranked #5 in Texas and 20th in the nation.
Should be interesting to see how good he ends up.

Chatham stops U-High who had a 1st and goal from the 2!~ Still 12-0 U-High but Chatham can't stop U-High and they seem confused as to what U-High will run. The stat line is heavy on the U-High side. 2 drives inside the Chatham 10 and came away empty or this game would be 26-0. U-High is out coaching Chatham...

QND 35
Lanphier 6
End 1Q

QNDs 1st two scores on 44 and 83 yd INT TDs by Brenner. Interesting note, QND has used 4 different players to kick extra pts. 5-5 tho... improvement!

Lanphier TD: AJ Lee on a 4th and goal, qb fumbled, Lee picked it up covered about 30 yards left to right and finally gets across.

Been a wild one... and only one... quarter.

21-0 Rockets lead over Eisenhower at half.

Rockets have two drives that were a turnover on play one, but when they hold the ball are moving at will. Panthers running game played keep away for a while, HB and QB having some success bouncing runs outside

Finals
Rochester 55 Eisenhower 0. Prayers for the Eisenhower QB who was injured and taken off by ambulance in the 3rd quarter. The Rockets slept walk through the first quarter and weren't great in the 2nd. The offense finally got moving in the 2nd half. Kaiden Stout had 2 rushing TD's and three other backs had one.

QND 77 Lanphier 6.

Springfield 36 Jacksonville 29. Great 5th win for the Senators that sounded like it was a late come from behind effort. Jacksonville still has a good shot at 5 wins, with winnable games particularly in Weeks 8 and 9.

Lincoln 43 MacArthur 33. Lincoln's best win of the season. A much higher scoring game than I predicted. With 4 wins, the Railers now have a huge Week 9 home game against Jacksonville. There's a chance both teams could be 4-4 going into the game.

U High 33 Chatham 13. Congrats to the Pioneers who slayed the conference giant tonight. Does this sequence of games make sense? (Week 4-Chatham 45 Rochester 17, Week 5-Rochester 38 U High 30, Week 6-U High 33 Chatham 13) Must have been a great defensive effort by the Pioneers to hold the Titans to only 13 points the week after allowing 38 to Rochester. What happened to the Chatham offense that picked apart the Rockets secondary just two weeks ago?

Reactions: cigaros and CIMRY90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT