ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 11

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Three CS8 teams advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs. One Friday night and two Saturday afternoon games. Weather looks to be much better than last week. Friday's high is expected to be around 61 and should still be in the mid 50's at kickoff. On Saturday, the projected temperature in Springfield is now expected to be 65, while in Oak Lawn it's supposed to be 60.

Friday
#8 Coal City (8-2) at #1 Rochester (10-0)
Last week, Coal City ended the Cinderella season of the CS8's 2nd place team U High with an impressive 44-0 victory in poor conditions, while Rochester beat fellow CS8 school Lincoln 59-14. Coal City has lost to two excellent teams, 5A Morris 43-3 in Week 1 and 2A Wilmington 28-0 in Week 7. Along with their win over U High, they have defeated one other playoff team, 3A Peotone 48-7. Haven't seen a ton of video on Max Preps but it appears that the Coalers have a solid running attack. The Rockets continue to work WR-QB Parker Gillespie back into the offense after he missed the first seven weeks of the season. He scored on the game's first play against Lincoln on a 50-yard run and ended up with three rushing and one passing TD. Other than giving up a TD on a well-executed trick play, the Rocket defense was solid again and forced three turnovers. Rochester 42 Coal City 14

Saturday
#1 Morris (10-0) at #9 SHG (7-3)
Morris beat Tinley Park 56-6 last week, while SHG went on the road and beat TF North 23-0. Morris was highly rated in 4A most of the season before ending up as the smallest school in 5A. I'm sure they differ somewhat from the 2017 team which battled Rochester to the game's final play in the 4A championship. I would be shocked, however, if Morris doesn't have a powerful offensive line and a 1,000+ yard running back. After winning the 4A state title last season, the Cyclones had to replace almost all of their starters while also moving from Ken Leonard to John Allison as head coach. There have been ups and downs throughout the season, but SHG played well against Rochester in Week 9 and got a road playoff win last week. Ken Leonard Stadium is a tough place for a road team to get a win. Only 5 teams have done so since it opened in 2012. This should be a hard-fought contest and there is a scenario for an upset. I do think Morris is more likely to get the win. Morris 35 SHG 24

#6 Chatham (7-3) at #3 Oak Lawn Richards (8-2)
Chatham won at home over Bloomington 63-28 last week, while Richards beat Chicago Hubbard 55-7 also at home. Richards opened the season with back-to-back losses to playoff qualifiers Chicago Morgan Park and Libertyville and then has won 8 straight. They own 5 victories over playoff teams but only one of those teams advanced to the 2nd round. I admit knowing very little about the Bulldogs, as they have no stats posted on Max Preps. Chatham won four in a row to start the season, then lost three of their next four, before winning their last two. The Titans start Sophomore Colton Knoedler at QB. Having seen him play 4 times, he has really progressed. Against Bloomington, Knoedler threw 6 TD's, 3 to fellow Sophomore WR Blake Lehnen (brother of North Central College QB Luke). Injuries also have Chatham using a Sophomore RB, who had a 75-yard TD run last week. The Bloomington game should be a wakeup call for the CS8 defenses for '24 and '25. Chatham's vulnerability is on defense, where they are undersized and dealing with a key injury at DB. I think this is a winnable game for the Titans, unless Richards is able to shut down their passing attack. Chatham 34 Richards 30

Three CS8 teams advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs. One Friday night and two Saturday afternoon games. Weather looks to be much better than last week. Friday's high is expected to be around 61 and should still be in the mid 50's at kickoff. On Saturday, the projected temperature in Springfield is now expected to be 65, while in Oak Lawn it's supposed to be 60.

Friday
Last week, Coal City ended the Cinderella season of the CS8's 2nd place team U High with an impressive 44-0 victory in poor conditions, while Rochester beat fellow CS8 school Lincoln 59-14. Coal City has lost to two excellent teams, 5A Morris 43-3 in Week 1 and 2A Wilmington 28-0 in Week 7. Along with their win over U High, they have defeated one other playoff team, 3A Peotone 48-7. Haven't seen a ton of video on Max Preps but it appears that the Coalers have a solid running attack. The Rockets continue to work WR-QB Parker Gillespie back into the offense after he missed the first seven weeks of the season. He scored on the game's first play against Lincoln on a 50-yard run and ended up with three rushing and one passing TD. Other than giving up a TD on a well-executed trick play, the Rocket defense was solid again and forced three turnovers. Rochester 42 Coal City 14

Saturday
Morris beat Tinley Park 56-6 last week, while SHG went on the road and beat TF North 23-0. Morris was highly rated in 4A most of the season before ending up as the smallest school in 5A. I'm sure they differ somewhat from the 2017 team which battled Rochester to the game's final play in the 4A championship. I would be shocked, however, if Morris doesn't have a powerful offensive line and a 1,000+ yard running back. After winning the 4A state title last season, the Cyclones had to replace almost all of their starters while also moving from Ken Leonard to John Allison as head coach. There have been ups and downs throughout the season, but SHG played well against Rochester in Week 9 and got a road playoff win last week. Ken Leonard Stadium is a tough place for a road team to get a win. Only 5 teams have done so since it opened in 2012. This should be a hard-fought contest and there is a scenario for an upset. I do think Morris is more likely to get the win. Morris 35 SHG 24

Chatham won at home over Bloomington 63-28 last week, while Richards beat Chicago Hubbard 55-7 also at home. Richards opened the season with back-to-back losses to playoff qualifiers Chicago Morgan Park and Libertyville and then has won 8 straight. They own 5 victories over playoff teams but only one of those teams advanced to the 2nd round. I admit knowing very little about the Bulldogs, as they have no stats posted on Max Preps. Chatham won four in a row to start the season, then lost three of their next four, before winning their last two. The Titans start Sophomore Colton Knoedler at QB. Having seen him play 4 times, he has really progressed. Against Bloomington, Knoedler threw 6 TD's, 3 to fellow Sophomore WR Blake Lehnen (brother of North Central College QB Luke). Injuries also have Chatham using a Sophomore RB, who had a 75-yard TD run last week. The Bloomington game should be a wakeup call for the CS8 defenses for '24 and '25. Chatham's vulnerability is on defense, where they are undersized and dealing with a key injury at DB. I think this is a winnable game for the Titans, unless Richards is able to shut down their passing attack. Chatham 34 Richards 30
A team on a mission is very tough to beat, and I think this year's Morris team does feel like they're on a mission. I think your score prediction is a lot more reasonable than a prediction which says Morris is going to "clock" SHG. I also believe that field position will play a crucial roll in the Morris victory.

A team on a mission is very tough to beat, and I think this year's Morris team does feel like they're on a mission. I think your score prediction is a lot more reasonable than a prediction which says Morris is going to "clock" SHG. I also believe that field position will play a crucial roll in the Morris victory.
That person who declared a "clock" by Morris over SHG is double digit IQ. Probably touches himself while watching Roadhouse.

Reactions: RoaminCatholic
2 of the teams I follow from the north so I’ll input a little of my knowledge and thoughts.

I’m right inline with your Rochester -CC game. With a few adjustment of my own. CC defense is pretty good. Their offense on the other hand has some trouble moving the ball against quality opponents. ( look at week 1 and 7). They will come to play and the defense keeps them around for a half but the offense will struggle to move the ball much after that. Rochester 38 CC 14

We’re a bit off on our predictions for the Morris-SHG game but not by far. Morris can score very quickly and often with either the run or the pass as 4A said in another thread as long as Zweeres is back and healthy this game could get ugly fast. I think SHG will have some trouble moving the ball with their young team. Morris is too much for them to handle this year. Morris 42- SHG 17

I don’t know much about either team other than I saw a bit of the Rochester /Chatham game and they looked very mediocre to me and I have seen no film on Richards but know they’re usually a decent south burd team that has played a slightly tougher schedule so with that on a whim. Richards 28- Chatham 21

2 of the teams I follow from the north so I’ll input a little of my knowledge and thoughts.

I’m right inline with your Rochester -CC game. With a few adjustment of my own. CC defense is pretty good. Their offense on the other hand has some trouble moving the ball against quality opponents. ( look at week 1 and 7). They will come to play and the defense keeps them around for a half but the offense will struggle to move the ball much after that. Rochester 38 CC 14

We’re a bit off on our predictions for the Morris-SHG game but not by far. Morris can score very quickly and often with either the run or the pass as 4A said in another thread as long as Zweeres is back and healthy this game could get ugly fast. I think SHG will have some trouble moving the ball with their young team. Morris is too much for them to handle this year. Morris 42- SHG 17

I don’t know much about either team other than I saw a bit of the Rochester /Chatham game and they looked very mediocre to me and I have seen no film on Richards but know they’re usually a decent south burd team that has played a slightly tougher schedule so with that on a whim. Richards 28- Chatham 21
Can Coal City air the ball out? If not, they will be in trouble.

Reactions: cigaros
A couple of observations.
1. Rockets soccer team advanced to state this weekend after winning SS over Triad 1-0. They play in semi final this Friday afternoon which means Sullivan the starting extra point kicker is out and Day will be called on to kick.
2. The games have gone as seeded in South bracket except for the double seeded upsets in the very bottom by Harrisburg and Notre Dame. Still too early to tell but that part of bracket could impact who gets a home game in semi final.. Assuming Rochester wins, i expect they will travel to MTZ.I expect MTZ to win based on tougher schedule and fact both teams played Mater Dei which MTZ handled easily and BC managed a 3 pt win.

Rochester's defense prides itself on stopping what the opponent does well and forcing them to do what they would rather not do.
I pride myself on doing the most obvious things as outlined in my job description as well. But I don't get any fancy rings when I do particularly well. I call bull****!

• Haha
Rochester's defense prides itself on stopping what the opponent does well and forcing them to do what they would rather not do.
You are right, though. They're good at forcing opposing teams to flip deep into their laminated play sheets. Many teams try and keep the Rocket offense off the field... but the Rocket defense is very good at getting off the field.

I think Morris is lucky to be getting SHG this year and not last. Timing is everything!

I'm not confident in Glenwood at all.

Reactions: rocketnation
A couple of observations.
1. Rockets soccer team advanced to state this weekend after winning SS over Triad 1-0. They play in semi final this Friday afternoon which means Sullivan the starting extra point kicker is out and Day will be called on to kick.
2. The games have gone as seeded in South bracket except for the double seeded upsets in the very bottom by Harrisburg and Notre Dame. Still too early to tell but that part of bracket could impact who gets a home game in semi final.. Assuming Rochester wins, i expect they will travel to MTZ.I expect MTZ to win based on tougher schedule and fact both teams played Mater Dei which MTZ handled easily and BC managed a 3 pt win.
I wonder if the game time pushback to 7:30p has anything to do with the Rocket soccer team playing at State. I assumed it was to give Coal City some extra travel time. Coach Clarke's son plays on the soccer team as well so it will be a quick turn and burn for him to get back to Rochester.

Edit: Just saw on the 1450 FB page that the time change was, in fact, to give Rochester fans (and maybe Lochlan??) time to get back for the football game.

Last edited:
So, Rochester in 10 games has had 14 scores put on them. 7 of those were after a RC against our 2nd/3rd team. 2 of the remaining 7 were special teams failures. The remaining 5 scores were either set up by, or resulting in bombs that took the top off the secondary. However, one or two of the Chatham scores were set up by cross routes to their giant TEs.

This is why I say Coal City will have to pass. It's no secret that most of SHG's success against the Rockets was due to brilliant passing calls executed perfectly....I don't think Hanauer threw many incomplete passes all night in week 9. Incidently, if SHG has that bomb and grab dynamic working for them on Saturday, Morris could find themselves on a very uncomfortable bus ride North Saturday evening.

Friday

Saturday

All....As it applies to the Cycs rocketnation

Friday

Saturday

All.... One other critical point on the SHG/Morris game for the Cycs that will play a major role. The Catholic haters will jump on it as an excuse but relevant nonetheless. As I was leaving the SHG/TFN game I bumped into again the father of Coach "Jaws" from JCA. He noticed it looking at the SHG sideline. Everyone knows. I couldn't give him an answer on his query. We will see. Should be a fun game. Hoping the Morris fans do some tailgating. And the one Redskin (yes I said it!) gent comes who is famous for his chilli. ( 2- ll) I had a couple of bowls of that the last time the two teams met and still dream about it. Couldn't get the secret recipe but suet (lots of it) was one main ingredient. ☺️ Ratsy

Last edited:
All....As it applies to the Cycs rocketnation

All.... One other critical point on the SHG/Morris game for the Cycs that will play a major role. The Catholic haters will jump on it as an excuse but relevant nonetheless. As I was leaving the SHG/TFN game I bumped into again the father of Coach "Jaws" from JCA. He noticed it looking at the SHG sideline. Everyone knows. I couldn't give him an answer on his query. We will see. Should be a fun game. Hoping the Morris fans do some tailgating. And the one Redskin (yes I said it!) gent comes who is famous for his chilli. ( 2- ll) I had a couple of bowls of that the last time the two teams met and still dream about it. Couldn't get the secret recipe but suet (lots of it) was one main ingredient. ☺️ Ratsy
You guys missing a player? I guess not everyone knows.

No, not at all
I highly advise they work on some passing. The Rochester middle linebackers are quick and aggressive. And the ends know how to get things stretched out for the LBs and DBs to get tackles for losses or short yardage. I saw way too many sweeps and options in the U-High game. Those U-High DBs didn't want to tackle.

Reactions: rocketnation
I highly advise they work on some passing. The Rochester middle linebackers are quick and aggressive. And the ends know how to get things stretched out for the LBs and DBs to get tackles for losses or short yardage. I saw way too many sweeps and options in the U-High game. Those U-High DBs didn't want to tackle.

It's too late to work on that now. They will be put out of their misery early and the Rocket Boosters will be receiving a donation from a Morris guy who will be in town to make GrossNoises at Ken "COVID is worse than the Holocaust because I have a good football team this year and want to retire when the deck is stacked in my favor" Leonard Field as they pound the home team.

I would tell the Morris people where to get some food, but let's be honest, they are from Morris. They are going to go to their local library and print out MapQuest directions to the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings (it's down Wabash, don't go to the Dirksen one) and drive a bunch of crappy Chevy Trackers down to the capital. Don't worry Morris people, you will leave with a win- please take the Coal City people home when they wake up shortly after your game with severe hang-overs scattered all over the town (most will probably be at The Curve).

I see the CS8 going 1-2 this week. Injuries to the Chatham secondary doesn't look good although I see them giving Richards a good game since Richards doesn't appear to be that physically imposing of a team either. I see Chatham messing this up in the second half similar to when we ran them out of town. It's going to be a rough off season for the Titans trying to keep their sophomore class from being recruited to the dark side (SHG).

Score predictions:

Rochester 63 Coal City 7
Morris 49 SHG 14
Richards 35 Chatham 21

It's too late to work on that now. They will be put out of their misery early and the Rocket Boosters will be receiving a donation from a Morris guy who will be in town to make GrossNoises at Ken "COVID is worse than the Holocaust because I have a good football team this year and want to retire when the deck is stacked in my favor" Leonard Field as they pound the home team.

I would tell the Morris people where to get some food, but let's be honest, they are from Morris. They are going to go to their local library and print out MapQuest directions to the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings (it's down Wabash, don't go to the Dirksen one) and drive a bunch of crappy Chevy Trackers down to the capital. Don't worry Morris people, you will leave with a win- please take the Coal City people home when they wake up shortly after your game with severe hang-overs scattered all over the town (most will probably be at The Curve).

I see the CS8 going 1-2 this week. Injuries to the Chatham secondary doesn't look good although I see them giving Richards a good game since Richards doesn't appear to be that physically imposing of a team either. I see Chatham messing this up in the second half similar to when we ran them out of town. It's going to be a rough off season for the Titans trying to keep their sophomore class from being recruited to the dark side (SHG).

Score predictions:

Rochester 63 Coal City 7
Morris 49 SHG 14
Richards 35 Chatham 21
I see one of three of your predictions being accurate. I don’t believe the Rochester and SHG games will have the margins of Victory you predict.

Coal City is going to go 3 and out early and often and then Rochester is going to systematically score every possession. As those drunks get more desperate they will try things that will fail leading to the score to get out of hand.

The only way the Morris score isn't what I pick is if they burn too much clock marching down the field. It's not going to look close on the field. SHG is SOFT.

After looking at the next few classes we have coming up I need to consider where I'm going to put my 11th ring. I have a good idea. It'll fit rather snug and help me make exceptionally GrossNoises with RoaminCatholic.

Coal City is going to go 3 and out early and often and then Rochester is going to systematically score every possession. As those drunks get more desperate they will try things that will fail leading to the score to get out of hand.

The only way the Morris score isn't what I pick is if they burn too much clock marching down the field. It's not going to look close on the field. SHG is SOFT.

After looking at the next few classes we have coming up I need to consider where I'm going to put my 11th ring. I have a good idea. It'll fit rather snug and help me make exceptionally GrossNoises with RoaminCatholic.
Nobody better report this guy. He's funnier than hell.

Frankly, the Coal City QB looks to have an arm to get it down field, but his throws have a lot of air under them. With 25 picks, and counting by the Rockets, this does not bode well for Coal City. This leaves the run game. They did alot of sweeps and off tackle running against U-High. The U-High DBs looked like tackling was new to them. So the Coalers were successful.

That is not the case with the Rocket DBs. Slot has been shutting down runs. Buecker has been taking good angles to the outside run. Jacobs has been quietly keeping the receivers at bay. And Binion has been tackling with purpose. So, I don't see the outside game as successful this Friday. The middle, if Coal City has some legs, could be the only lane to run. And even that has been stopped by the Rocket D-line. SHG played the game of their lives to only lose by 10 to Rochester. I think CC will need to play the game of their lives plus redress some of their 2019 team and ask they play the game of their lives to come within the same margin of loss as SHG had.

Nobody better report this guy. He's funnier than hell.
I am glad I "un-ignored" him. I mistook his early comments and the comedy flew right over my head. Carry-on GrossNoises, you funny SOB. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: hank56
So I was fortunate enough to speak with my buddy from Herscher today. They lost to Coal City this season and according to him CC is the real deal and will "give the Rockets the game of their lives." He watched the Rochester/Chatham game so I trust he's giving his fair analysis.

He said the CC defense is tough like Rochester's and, like SHG will give the Rockets "a heap-full of trouble."

Guess we'll see...I may have a hundo riding on it 😆

So I was fortunate enough to speak with my buddy from Herscher today. They lost to Coal City this season and according to him CC is the real deal and will "give the Rockets the game of their lives." He watched the Rochester/Chatham game so I trust he's giving his fair analysis.

He said the CC defense is tough like Rochester's and, like SHG will give the Rockets "a heap-full of trouble."

Herscher was 2-7 and the 335th ranked team in the state. They averaged 18 points per game….roughly half of what Rochester scores in the 1st half. Coal City, according to the predictors, would lose by a point to glenwood, whom Rochester dropped a clock on in week 8. Your friend is buying wine from Aldi and trying to compete with Gibson’s wine list.

• Haha
Reactions: hank56 and FB1976

Sorry. Fat fingered the post reply button. I would say Rochester drills Coal City. I was at the CC Morris game. I’m not sure the guy from Herscher is correct in the statement that they are the real deal. Morris won 43-3.

Sorry. Fat fingered the post reply button. I would say Rochester drills Coal City. I was at the CC Morris game. I’m not sure the guy from Herscher is correct in the statement that they are the real deal. Morris won 43-3.
He has been known to embelish his own team's strengths, but never other team's. Of course he may also be messing with me, but he's a tight-wad so the Ben Franklin bet makes me think he believes they're good. As I said, guess we'll see.

Bet the house on Rochester running the clock on the Carhartt clan. @circletrack32 is definitely nervous he put all his valuables up (250 American dollars) against that line. I can't wait to see the check. You're going to have to make a video of yourself writing it out and turning it in. I'm still deciding what the memo says, it can't be more embarrassing than having to be yourself day in and day out. All this humiliation because you heard those GrossNoises and let bravado overcome you. May this be a lesson you won't soon forget.

Rochester would running clock Morris and they knew that. That's why they enrolled dead people to get the bump to the safety of 5A so they didn't have to feel this Rocket.

He has been known to embelish his own team's strengths, but never other team's. Of course he may also be messing with me, but he's a tight-wad so the Ben Franklin bet makes me think he believes they're good. As I said, guess we'll see.
Getting drilled like that by Morris does not bode well for CC against Rochester.

Reactions: cigaros and 4Afan
CC is a mid-small enrollment 4A that plays in a mostly 3A league that was a bit down from the usual by all accounts.
For this reason, I didn’t think they would beat UHigh. At a minimum I wasn’t confident they would win. I was definitely surprised at the 44-0 drubbing administered.
Rochester is a different animal, of course.

Bet the house on Rochester running the clock on the Carhartt clan. @circletrack32 is definitely nervous he put all his valuables up (250 American dollars) against that line. I can't wait to see the check. You're going to have to make a video of yourself writing it out and turning it in. I'm still deciding what the memo says, it can't be more embarrassing than having to be yourself day in and day out. All this humiliation because you heard those GrossNoises and let bravado overcome you. May this be a lesson you won't soon forget.

Rochester would running clock Morris and they knew that. That's why they enrolled dead people to get the bump to the safety of 5A so they didn't have to feel this Rocket.
I don't about that. Would I do know is that they will face no one as tough as Rochester in the 5A South Bracket. All they need to do is wait to see who they'll face in the final.

Reactions: gobears25
State Journal Register (SJR) Staff Predictions
Rochester 38 Coal City 14
Morris 27 SHG 21
Richards 30 Chatham 21

State Journal Register (SJR) Staff Predictions
Rochester 38 Coal City 14
Morris 27 SHG 21
Richards 30 Chatham 21
I would give the Rockets 10 more points than that at a minimum since they're at home. Will be very interested to see how the Rockets' score compares to the 43-3 Morris win over CC.
I would give Morris 10 more points. SHG is still a pedestrian offense, so if the Cyclones do happen to score 21 points I would give them no more than that.
Still don't have any idea about the Richards/Chatham game. Let's say I would be more inclined to pick the Titans if it were a home game for them. Definitely have no opinion on what the point spread Saturday will be.

I would give the Rockets 10 more points than that at a minimum since they're at home. Will be very interested to see how the Rockets' score compares to the 43-3 Morris win over CC.
I would give Morris 10 more points. SHG is still a pedestrian offense, so if the Cyclones do happen to score 21 points I would give them no more than that.
Still don't have any idea about the Richards/Chatham game. Let's say I would be more inclined to pick the Titans if it were a home game for them. Definitely have no opinion on what the point spread Saturday will be.
I think a season of being overzealous by the SJR and Peoria journal star have shown them a conservative prediction would suit them better

i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have the gonads to say this in front of derek.

he has 8 rings; you sure don't.

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have the gonads to say this in front of derek.

he has 9 rings; you sure don't.

So you agree that this 9th title is a foregone conclusion. You are softer than lady bugs and grandmas. I can hear your heart beating faster everytme you see there have been more GrossNoises. It's nice to see you work up the courage to reply to me versus reporting me, you freaking pansy.

Look at the Rochester sidelines and stands during a game. Derek is more than complicit with the GrossNoises we scream all fall.

If you listen even closer you can hear the clock already ticking away on Coal City's season. A lot of Busch heavies are about to be demolished this Friday night on the long drive home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT