ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions Week 10

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
5 CS8 teams made the playoffs. 2 Friday night and 3 Saturday afternoon games.

Friday
4A #15 Spring Valley (Hall) (5-4) at #2 SHG (9-0)
Spring Valley drew the short stick and will make the trip to Ken Leonard Stadium. Their resume includes a loss to 5-4 1A team. The CS8 equivalent to that would be if Jacksonville lost to Routt Catholic. I can’t imagine they’ve seen anything remotely close to the SHG offense. SHG will want to get a quick running clock and avoid injuries. This should be over fast. SHG 56 Spring Valley 6.

6A #9 Quincy (7-2) at #8 Chatham (7-2)
The winner will play Lemont in Round 2. This could be a shootout. Quincy is likely to be bigger on the OL-DL than the Titans. They start a Sophomore QB, who may be the coach’s son, and have a good mix of running and passing. Their two losses to 5A Sterling and 7A Moline were both competitive. The Blue Devils appear to have only an average defense, giving up 42 points to non-qualifier Rock Island last week. Chatham has QB Knudson, RB Blaise, and 3-4 good receiving options. They were undefeated at home in the regular season. Their two losses were more lopsided than Quincy’s. The Titans downfall against Rochester was an inability to protect Knudson and poor run defense. They were overwhelmed by the Cyclones in all areas. When working well, the Titans jump on teams early and score fast. I expect the Blue Devils to make this a battle but come up short.
Chatham 41 Quincy 32.

Saturday
5A #14 Decatur MacArthur (5-4) at #3 Peoria (8-1)
Mac does not match up well with Peoria. Their defense, normally a strong point, is not as solid this year. Their QB has a decent arm and can scramble but is not well protected. They also don’t have much of a running attack. Peoria scores lots of points and this will quickly be a mismatch. Peoria 53 Mac 8.

4A #13 Effingham (5-4) at #4 Rochester (8-1)
All four of Effingham’s losses were to playoff qualifiers: 2A St Teresa, 4A Mt Zion, and 5A Mahomet and Highland. Their biggest margin of defeat was 21 points to Mahomet. They lost by 14 to Highland on the road in Week 9, which could be seen as a moral victory after the way Highland has played. Rochester usually plays very well at home, and Derek will not let the Rockets look ahead. After a sloppy win at home against U High in Week 7, they really pasted both Jacksonville and Mac in Weeks 8 and 9 and looked playoff ready. Keeton Reiss continues to develop the passing part of his game and several Receivers have stepped up. The Rockets will try to take Effingham out early and should win comfortably. Rochester 48 Effingham 13.

5A #9 Jacksonville (6-3) at #8 Metamora (6-3)
Last year, the Crimsons got a come from behind win over Mac in Week 9 to qualify for the playoffs. They then got buried on the road by Mahomet. Jacksonville had some good moments in losses against Chatham and SHG earlier in the season. They have not played particularly well the last two weeks, getting hammered by Rochester and giving up 49 points to a 3-6 U High at home last week in a win. Metamora is not unbeatable, even at home. Their program is not quite at the level it was 10-15 years ago. They have losses to 5A Peoria, 6A Washington, and 7A Pekin. Metamora only beat one playoff team, 5-4 5A Dunlap. The Crimsons cannot get behind big early like last year. They have a good ball control running attack but a shaky defense. To have a chance to win, QB Elijah Owens may need to complete several long throws in non-passing situations. I think Metamora denies the CS8 a fourth win in the weekend. Metamora 39 Jacksonville 31.

Last edited:
All three of the Sports Radio 1450 analysts picked Jacksonville over Metamora. Still feel like the home field advantage is going to carry the day for the Redbirds.

All three of the Sports Radio 1450 analysts picked Jacksonville over Metamora. Still feel like the home field advantage is going to carry the day for the Redbirds.
I have the same feeling. I have no idea what Metamora brings to the table offensively, but the Crimsons' defense against the better teams in the CS8 was dismal. I don't know the specifics of their game against U-High, but the Pioneers did score 49. Put another way - J'ville beat whom they were supposed to and lost to teams they were supposed.

SJR Staff Predictions
SHG 56 Spring Valley 0
Chatham 35 Quincy 21
Rochester 42 Effingham 7
Metamora 35 Jacksonville 28
No prediction on Peoria vs MacArthur

All.... Looking forward to watch QB Resetich for the Red Devils tomorrow evening. He did finish the regular season with over 2000 yards rushing. Went out with a bang against Bureau Valley. 15 rushes for 272 yards and 4 td's. Has a knack for getting long breakaways and scoring. As fast as he is it will be interesting to see how he deals with all of that speed that the Cyclones defensive unit as a group is fielding. Ratsy

Reactions: Swansa01
All.... Looking forward to watch QB Resetich for the Red Devils tomorrow evening. He did finish the regular season with over 2000 yards rushing. Went out with a bang against Bureau Valley. 15 rushes for 272 yards and 4 td's. Has a knack for getting long breakaways and scoring. As fast as he is it will be interesting to see how he deals with all of that speed that the Cyclones defensive unit as a group is fielding. Ratsy
I think the Cyclones need to concentrate on stopping his running. If he hits some passes, fine. He is not deadly passing, especially if the SHG secondary does their thing.

Bottom line: Spring Valley vs. SHG game. SVH finished 5-4 playing a 2A and 3A schedule and SHG finished 9-0 playing a 5A and 6A schedule. Predication: SHG will score more points in the first half than the yards the SVH QB will rush for in the first half.

Bottom line: Spring Valley vs. SHG game. SVH finished 5-4 playing a 2A and 3A schedule and SHG finished 9-0 playing a 5A and 6A schedule. Predication: SHG will score more points in the first half than the yards the SVH QB will rush for in the first half.
I think you’re right. His Offensive Line will also be tested tomorrow by SHG’s defensive speed. SHG has faced some very athletic QB’s in recent years, such as Luke Lehnen, Rashad Rochelle, and Hank Beatty along with bigger power runners this year in Keeton Reiss and Elijah Owens.

I think you’re right. His Offensive Line will also be tested tomorrow by SHG’s defensive speed. SHG has faced some very athletic QB’s in recent years, such as Luke Lehnen, Rashad Rochelle, and Hank Beatty along with bigger power runners this year in Keeton Reiss and Elijah Owens.
I knew what SHG faced in QBs lately, but it's still eye-opening when you mention them the way you did. In terms of speed AND power, I have to go with Hank as the toughest, although Lehnen and Rochelle each beat the Cyclones twice. When Beatty ran against SHG, it was like a man against boys. JCA doing what they did to SHG last year should have surprised no one. As far as the SVH QB is concerned, no way is he better than any of the five you named. Based on the film I have seen and considering his competition, I would say he is not even equal to them.

Reactions: rocketnation
I knew what SHG faced in QBs lately, but it's still eye-opening when you mention them the way you did. In terms of speed AND power, I have to go with Hank as the toughest, although Lehnen and Rochelle each beat the Cyclones twice. When Beatty ran against SHG, it was like a man against boys. JCA doing what they did to SHG last year should have surprised no one. As far as the SVH QB is concerned, no way is he better than any of the five you named. Based on the film I have seen and considering his competition, I would say he is not even equal to them.
Still think this game is a huge mismatch. But Ratsy has managed, against my better judgment, to get me interested in this QB. Not enough to actually go to the game, but I might tune in around 7:05 to see whether it’s already 14-0 SHG.

The great thing about listening to SHG on the radio is that Sam’s tone lets you know instantly how the Cyclones are doing.

• Haha
Reactions: net-se
I think the Cyclones need to concentrate on stopping his running. If he hits some passes, fine. He is not deadly passing, especially if the SHG secondary does their thing.
All.... Yep that is what I would think the game plan would be. Their lineman set up plays for him just to break that initial line of scrimmage and then let him take over with his speed and agility to get by the linebackers. If successful more often then not it's six points. It will be important the lb's wrap up if and should that happen. Malleus, prime rib steak burgers with all the "fixins" in the corner. 62 for the high. Going to get cool in the evening. I imagine the tent with Big Ben the heater blasting away is likely to be popular as ever. Ratsy

Last edited:
Still think this game is a huge mismatch. But Ratsy has managed, against my better judgment, to get me interested in this QB. Not enough to actually go to the game, but I might tune in around 7:05 to see whether it’s already 14-0 SHG.

The great thing about listening to SHG on the radio is that Sam’s tone lets you know instantly how the Cyclones are doing.
All.... Is the kid dominate with who the Red Devils have played to achieve a 5-4 record? Yes. He is the reason SVH is in the playoffs. Likely a long night for the team. Still anyone that can rush for over 2000 yards in nine games is impressive. He will be fun to watch. Ratsy P.S. Bridge and Co. that air your games are a bit calmer. (lol)

Last edited:
SHG up 48-0 at half. Running clock should make for a quick second half.

Chatham in trouble, trailing Quincy 35-19 at home at halftime. Quincy has scored on five of their six possessions. Quincy Soph QB has 350 yards passing. The Blue Devils will get the 2nd half kickoff.

Last edited:
If Chatham loses badly at home, this could renew discussion about the overall strength of the conference this year. I think Mac is a huge underdog tomorrow, and Jacksonville has a chance but is also the underdog. I thought 3-2 for the CS8 in Week 1 was the most likely scenario but that 4-1 was possible. Now 2-3 seems to also be a realistic option.

Quincy scored again after receiving the 2nd half kickoff and now leads 42-19. Gut check time for the Titans.

Chatham responds with a TD and 2 point play and it is 42-27. Defense now has to step up. The Titans recover an onside kick, have a short scoring drive and convert another 2 point play. 42-35, late 3rd. Another onside kick try fails.

Quincy up 49-35 at the end of the 3rd, Chatham driving.

Last edited:
Finals
SHG 55 Spring Valley 6. A strong start to the playoffs by the Cyclones.

Quincy 49 Chatham 42. An offensive shootout is won by Quincy. They had nearly 600 yards of offense. Jack Knudson threw 5 TD’s for the Titans. Chatham’s defense struggled all night to get stops. Chatham recovered one onside kick late but failed on two others giving Quincy great field position both times. Chatham not easy to beat at home. I know this was an 8/9 contest, but I am surprised the Titans lost.

Last edited:
All... Low uneven snap I believe at the time. But.... I was hitting on an unattended female (my age) in the stands when all of this happened. Ratsy

Finals
SHG 55 Spring Valley 6. A strong start to the playoffs by the Cyclones.

Quincy 49 Chatham 42. An offensive shootout is won by Quincy. They had nearly 600 yards of offense. Jack Knudson threw 5 TD’s for the Titans. Chatham’s defense struggled all night to get stops. Chatham recovered one onside kick late but failed on two others giving Quincy great field position both times. Chatham not easy to beat at home. I know this was an 8/9 contest, but I am surprised the Titans lost.
I know Glenwood expected an advantage this year with the platoon system, but did they sacrifice something on the defensive side of the ball?

I know Glenwood expected an advantage this year with the platoon system, but did they sacrifice something on the defensive side of the ball?
All.... Coach Leonard (SHG) recently said at this time of the year we are going to play our best players on both sides of the ball. Which I assume means some used to playing earlier in the year might not in postseason play. Maybe the Titans should of done that. Ratsy

All.... Coach Leonard (SHG) recently said at this time of the year we are going to play our best players on both sides of the ball. Which I assume means some used to playing earlier in the year might not in postseason play. Maybe the Titans should of done that. Ratsy
Not sure if the Titans ever got back their DT who was hurt in the Rochester game. He was a tough, physical player. Because of their substantial enrollment advantage over the Rockets and Cyclones, I’m surprised at how often the Titans end up being the smaller team. The exception was 2019, when they manhandled both Rochester and SHG.

Not sure if the Titans ever got back their DT who was hurt in the Rochester game. He was a tough, physical player. Because of their substantial enrollment advantage over the Rockets and Cyclones, I’m surprised at how often the Titans end up being the smaller team. The exception was 2019, when they manhandled both Rochester and SHG.
All.... Mind staggering speed combined with strength on their defensive corners that year. Of course a bit later on there was East St. Louis. Ratsy

Better enjoy this year Rat. I'm not sure if you're aware but you may be. Look on the Glenwood website at the freshman results for this season that just concluded. They totally crushed every other CS-8 freshman team, including Rochester and SHG. They also happen to dress nearly 60 players. SHG maybe half that many, and that's being generous. Changes are coming to a theater near you. And soon.

Reactions: cigaros
Chatham freshman had more players than SHG/Rochester combined. They had an excellent season. The Titans have a good Soph class as well, but many of their key players from the 2022 team will be graduating. Not sure what next year will bring for the Titan varsity.

Looking into the future and predicting is chancy. However, I think I’m on fairly solid ground when I say now that Rochester’s next two incoming Freshman classes have potential to be among the best in school history. Size and athletes, many with last names Rocket fans will recognize.

Last edited:
All.... Lower level success does not always equate in the future to varsity success. Now having said that the SHG sophomores (their team picture only showed I believe 16 players) went 7-0 which included a comfortable 33-13 win over the Titans. The opening game was called at half time due to weather trailing the Rockets 6-0. The freshman were 5-3. Almost have of those Cyclone players had never played organized football before. I wouldn't count the demise of Cyclone football just yet..... Ratsy

All.... Breese defeats Mt. Zion 21-18. Rochester is winning big over Effingham. Rockets will have their second straight home game and host the Cougars next week. Ratsy

Last edited:
Finals
Peoria 62 MacArthur 14. Peoria scores lots of points and this was not one of the stronger Mac teams.

Rochester 45 Effingham 14. Lots not to love. Four first half turnovers, including one on the first play of the game. Almost 100 yards in penalties, one of which resulted in a TD being called back. Derek was as animated as I’ve seen him all year with his players and not pleased several times with the Rochester sideline official calls/no calls. Effingham deserves credit for their successful efforts to strip the ball from the Rocket runners. The halftime “pep” talk must have been effective. The Offense came around in the second half behind a huge day throwing by Keeton Reiss and catching by Parker Gillespie. The Rockets outscored Effingham 24-0 in the 2nd half. Keeton threw 4 TD’s and ran for 2 more. Parker had 3 TD’s and over 250 yards. The Defense was good all day, holding the Hearts to 115 total yards and getting great pressure on their QB. The two Effingham scores were both on short field drives after Rocket turnovers. A half anywhere as bad as today cannot be repeated or it will be wait til next year.

Metamora 68 Jacksonville 34. Metamora led 32-21 at half and ended up with a running clock. The third time this year the Crimsons hung with a good team for a half before being blown out. A tough year for their defense, and Coach Grounds said they only had something like 20 total upperclassmen.

Last edited:
All.... Waterloo has a runner on Olney now in the third quarter. SHG will travel next week to Waterloo. Ratsy

CS8 goes 2-3 in Week 10 after hopes of either 3-2 or even 4-1. Only 4A going forward.

Chatham, Mac, and Jacksonville combine to give up 179 points in their losses. Peoria is a high powered offense and Quincy was very impressive, but Metamora scoring 68 is something of a surprise to me.

CS8 goes 2-3 in Week 10 after hopes of either 3-2 or even 4-1. Only 4A going forward.

Chatham, Mac, and Jacksonville combine to give up 179 points in their losses. Peoria is a high powered offense and Quincy was very impressive, but Metamora scoring 68 is something of a surprise to me.
A surprise indeed, but defense was the Crimsons' weak point this year.

Better enjoy this year Rat. I'm not sure if you're aware but you may be. Look on the Glenwood website at the freshman results for this season that just concluded. They totally crushed every other CS-8 freshman team, including Rochester and SHG. They also happen to dress nearly 60 players. SHG maybe half that many, and that's being generous. Changes are coming to a theater near you. And soon.
A Rochester Freshman team once went 0-9 and then won state their senior year. Let's hope Chatham does something with their upcoming class. Rochester 7th and 8th graders are crushing opponents as well. Incredible size and speed for such young kids. I would love to see a year in which Rochester wins 4A, SHG 5A & Glenwood 6A.

Week 11 Matchups and a few observations

SHG (10-0) at Waterloo (7-3) 2 pm Saturday

Breese Central (8-2) at Rochester (9-1) 4:30 Saturday

Chatham (7-3), Jacksonville (6-4), and MacArthur (5-5) all start planning for next year. Chatham loses a 2-year starting QB, their top RB, and at least 3 of their best WR’s. Jacksonville loses a 3-year starting QB and is having to deal with lower than desired program numbers. It’s always difficult to get good info on Mac. They did play 2 QB’s this year and at least 1 returns. Mac’s also dealing with low program numbers. Springfield (4-5) has been able to field freshman and JV teams and returns QB Paul Hartman. They could overtake Jacksonville and Mac next season.

Going about 115 miles to Waterloo is not a bad road trip for SHG. Waterloo has played 5A playoff teams Highland, Triad, and Mascoutah. They lost to Highland badly, lost but competed with Triad, and beat Mascoutah. They should be a step up from Spring Valley but SHG is still heavily favored and should be able to get a running clock.

Breese Central lost to SHG in the Quarterfinals last season. They play a 3A-4A schedule, while Effingham played a 4A-5A schedule except for 2A power St Teresa. Breese edged Mt Zion, a team Rochester has gone up against in the playoffs before, yesterday 21-18. After yesterday’s disastrous first half, Rochester needs to be much sharper next week. Since being blitzed for 62 points by SHG in Week 1, the Rocket defense has only allowed 84 points over the next 9 games. With four turnovers by the offense in the first half, the defense was repeatedly put in tough spots and rose to the occasion.

All.... Waterloo is going to want (of course) to play ball control and burn clock. Run.... They have a group that has done it all year. Some very impressive stats occurred in that round one 4A match against Olney which the Bulldogs won 76-28. I did not look them up but imagine some Ihsa records had to of fallen in class 4A after that game. One possible 45 rushes for 519 yards. (11.53) Now that is some serious running.... RB Davis stats were 23-317 yards (13.8) 3 td's. Should be a fun game. Rain in the morning and possible in the afternoon. Winds 10-20. We will see. Ratsy

For the season....
#8 QB Aidan Morrow 32-77 509 yards 3 td's and 6 picks.
Rushing - (Main)
#25 Bryce Reese 42-378 (4 td) 9.0
#11 Koby Osterhage 87-837 (11td) 9.6
#23 Evan Davis 211-1,579 (16td) 7.5

25 of QB Morrow's 32 completions have been to Osterhage and Davis

Last edited:
All.... Waterloo is going to want (of course) to play ball control and burn clock. Run.... They have a group that has done it all year. Some very impressive stats occurred in that round one 4A match against Olney which the Bulldogs won 76-28. I did not look them up but imagine some Ihsa records had to of fallen in class 4A after that game. One possible 45 rushes for 519 yards. (11.53) Now that is some serious running.... RB Davis stats were 23-317 yards (13.8) 3 td's. Should be a fun game. Rain in the morning and possible in the afternoon. Winds 10-20. We will see. Ratsy

For the season....
Rushing - (Main)

First things first for the Cyclones:

(1) Do NOT do something stupid like run out to the center of Waterloo's field and simulate planting the SHG flag (you have a history of doing that on the road in the playoffs) on the Bulldog logo. Don't give them any more incentive. They'll be jacked up enough to play you the way it is!! When you take the field, how about going to your side line and let your fans salute you?

(2) I suspect they will burn clock, so the defense will need to stuff them when they do run a play.

(3) You know what to do if you win the coin toss!

(4) I doubt you will face the speed you did with the SVH quarterback, but Waterloo has a very effective running game and their backs are not slow.

(5) Don't be afraid to stuff the box if that's what it takes.

(6) The one thing Olney was able to do against them (at least for a while) was to pass. So ....

(7) It's an old saying, but the longer a team can hang with an opponent, the more confidence they gain. You know to do.

There is no fee for the above opinions. Just be advised that you'll have to earn this win on the field. Let the fans do the supposing and what-iffing. If you want your quarterfinal and semifinal at home, it's right in front of you!!!!!!

P.S. At least you won't have to deal with the Highland bulldog, Brutus!

For the season....
Rushing - (Main)

The skill of their offensive line will be a key issue. Teams all the way down to 1A have big kids, but when many teams play up in competition the OL can’t sustain their blocks and even backs with great stats have nowhere to run. If Waterloo ran by Olney mostly on outside runs, that will not work with SHG’s speed and pursuit. Power running is another issue. The stats show Waterloo has a limited passing attack. You need some balance to succeed in the playoffs.

Reactions: Autumnball
I'm on perfect storm weekend. We moved Friday. I've had connectivity problems all weekend and I got hit with some nasty intestinal virus. So I missed most of SHG"s game due to bad connections to SR1450 and NFHS and slept through the entire second half of the Rochester game. So my takeaways are of limited value. It looked like SVH is very much in the mold of the old Chicago teams with Walter Payton thar we used to call the PPPP (Payon. Payton, Pass. Punt) offense. Everything they gad was that big QB

I'm on perfect storm weekend. We moved Friday. I've had connectivity problems all weekend and I got hit with some nasty intestinal virus. So I missed most of SHG"s game due to bad connections to SR1450 and NFHS and slept through the entire second half of the Rochester game. So my takeaways are of limited value. It looked like SVH is very much in the mold of the old Chicago teams with Walter Payton thar we used to call the PPPP (Payon. Payton, Pass. Punt) offense. Everything they gad was that big QB
I wish I’d slept through the first half of the Rochester game!

I typed a lot morethat somehow didn't go through but to hell with it.. the way I feel right now it was probably not worth reading. The net result is that SHG and Rochester remain on a collusion course and the action next weekend is all in New Lenox.

I typed a lot more that somehow didn't go through but to hell with it.. the way I feel right now it was probably not worth reading. The net result is that SHG and Rochester remain on a collusion course and the action next weekend is all in New Lenox.
Definitely THE game in all of 4A. I have JCA in that game, and by more than their first game against Providence. Whoever wins will be hosting Richmond Burton next week!!

Let them beat each other up. That will likely be a class A slobberknocker. The 1pm start should let me watch at least the first half

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT