ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 1

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Other than Lincoln vs Lanphier, the rest of the CS8 has non-conference opponents for Week 1. This could result in some big swings and misses on my picks, but that's OK because it's the start of another season. Every team has hope until at least 7:05 Friday night. While hot now, high temperatures seem to be only in the 80's this weekend, unlike last year's horrendous Week 1 that pushed some games to Saturday.

West Division Games
Jacksonville at Pittsfield
This game came together only recently after Riverton cancelled their varsity season and the Crimson's opponent from Missouri bowed out. It's going to be tough for the 2A Saukees to matchup with 5A Jacksonville's size, particularly on the Offensive Line. Jacksonville 41 Pittsfield 6 (No Massey pick, still shows Jacksonville playing the Missouri team).

Quincy at Quincy Notre Dame
A tough start for 2A Quincy Notre Dame vs 7A quarterfinalist Quincy. Quincy won 55-12 last season and returns much of their offense. QND should not see teams with both the size and speed of the Blue Devils once they begin playing within the conference. Quincy 45 QND 16 (Massey: Quincy 40 QND 14).

Champaign Central at Springfield
Central was 2-7 last season and was only close in one of their losses. Springfield was 3-6 after I thought they would be back in the playoffs after barely missing in '22. Springfield needs a fast start to the season, and I think with returning QB Brody Scheffler they get it with a Week 1 win. Springfield 34 Central 14 (Massey: Springfield 41 Central 14).

Lanphier at Lincoln
The one CS8 vs CS8 contest. Lincoln won its welcome back to the CS8 game against the Lions 41-8 last season. The Railers then made the playoffs for the first time since 1984 but have to replace several key skill players. They do return some size on both sides of the ball. Lanphier was 0-9 last year and now has an interim head coach after their new coach resigned recently. Lincoln 40 Lanphier 0 (Massey: Lincoln 42 Lanphier 7).

SHG at St Louis Christian Brothers
A very tough road game for the Cyclones against a major Missouri program, though the Cycs return much more experience than last year. The scrimmage with East St Louis did give them a good idea of the speed they'll be facing. SHG needs to avoid a bad start and then play ball control but a win will be very difficult. Christian Brothers 39 SHG 20 (Massey: Christian Brothers 49 SHG 14).

Southeast at East Peoria
Can the Spartans get a win for 23-year old head coach Nate Borders in his first game? Like Southeast, East Peoria was 2-7 last year and they gave up over 400 points. I've been overly optimistic at the start of past seasons about the Spartans. Now, I'm doing it again. This should be a close, high scoring contest. Southeast 35 East Peoria 33 (Massey: Southeast 28 East Peoria 27).

East Division Games
Friday
Lanphier at Lincoln (See Above).

Edwardsville at Chatham
While this game will help the Titans down the road, they are a heavy underdog, even at home, to the 7A/8A Tigers. Chatham's offense should be able to score some points, maybe even enough to win against other teams. However, whether their defense will be able to get more than 1 or 2 stops against the much bigger Tigers Offense is questionable. The Titans need a fast start to stay close. I'll be at this one since the Rockets don't play until Saturday. Edwardsville 42 Chatham 24 (Massey: Edwardsville 43 Chatham 14).

Streator at Eisenhower
A chance for Eisenhower, who was 1-8 last year, to show if they've improved against a Streator team that was 2-7. Ike was very young last year. If they were able to keep most of those young players in the program, this will help the Panthers be more competitive. Think Streator does enough, though, to win. Streator 41 Eisenhower 28 (Massey: Streator 38 Eisenhower 21).

MacArthur at Mattoon
Mattoon, who plays in the Apollo Conference, was 2-7 last year but faced 7 playoff teams and were competitive in some of their defeats. Mac was 6-4 and made the 5A playoffs before losing to Metamora. However, RB Myson Johnson Cook is now playing in Texas and that is a huge blow to the Generals. Mac isn't a great road team, but I think they pull this one out. MacArthur 29 Mattoon 19 (Massey: MacArthur 35 Mattoon 14).

Peoria Manual at U High
To the best of my knowledge, U High returns more starters than any other CS8 team. Manual was 2-7 last year and lost 48-12 to Lincoln. Should be an easy win for U High before they face Bloomington Week 2. U High 43 Manual 8 (Massey: U High 42 Manual 6).

Saturday
Rochester at Chicago Simeon
The Rockets underwhelmed in their Week 0 scrimmage with Belleville West. The best that can be said is perhaps some of the usual Week 1 mistakes were made last Friday and now the team can adjust and move forward. A 3-hour Saturday morning bus ride to start the season is not typical. Simeon made the 6A playoffs last year before losing to Normal West and does have two touted Defensive Linemen. The Rockets O-Line needs to be much better than last week and give Bryan Zulauf time to throw the ball. I expect this to be a 4-quarter contest. Rochester 37 Simeon 18 (Massey: Rochester 42 Simeon 12).

Last edited:
All.... The SHG/CBC game for Friday already looks sketchy because of the evening weather. Thundrstorms and rain. The MSHSAA is really pro active when it comes to storms and even thunder before precip. 30 Minute waits could abound . Getting this game in could be interesting to say the least. Ratsy

• Wow
Reactions: cigaros
Rocketnation, I could say u hit it out of the park but since this a FB page I will say u split the uprights right down the middle.

I would agree the CG/EV game is the game to catch in Sangamon County.

The Channel 1450 choices are in. The three strictly pick winners/losers.

The Week 1 picks:
Jacksonville (3-0)
Quincy (3-0)
Springfield (3-0)
Lincoln (3-0)
Christian Brothers (3-0)
Southeast (2-1)
Edwardsville (3-0)
Streator (2-1)
MacArthur (3-0)
U High (3-0)
Rochester (3-0)

Last edited:
State Journal Register Staff Predictions (Minus the Decatur teams, QND, and U High)
If you can make a call on Nokomis vs Arcola, neither of which are anywhere close to Springfield, how hard is it to make picks for all the CS8 games?

Perhaps this will come up today at practice as a little extra motivation for the Rockets.

CBC 42 SHG 21
Edwardsville 49 Chatham 35
Simeon 30 Rochester 28
Springfield 42 Champaign Central 35
Lincoln 36 Lanphier 13
Southeast 27 East Peoria 20
Jacksonville 56 Pittsfield 13

Last edited:
South County Weekly Mr. Pick'Em Predictions

CBC 31 SHG 20
Chatham 24 Edwardsville 21
Rochester 31 Simeon 26
Springfield 22 Champaign Central 15
Lincoln 32 Lanphier 6
East Peoria 19 Southeast 14
Jacksonville 42 Pittsfield 13
MacArthur 35 Mattoon 19
Eisenhower 16 Streator 7
Quincy 40 QND 20
U High 24 Manual 16

South County Weekly Mr. Pick'Em Predictions

CBC 31 SHG 20
Chatham 24 Edwardsville 21
Rochester 31 Simeon 26
Springfield 22 Champaign Central 15
Lincoln 32 Lanphier 6
East Peoria 19 Southeast 14
Jacksonville 42 Pittsfield 13
MacArthur 35 Mattoon 19
Eisenhower 16 Streator 7
Quincy 40 QND 20
U High 24 Manual 16
I think the possibility of Simeon beating the Rockets is reasonable. And that CBC SHG game is going to be a long ride home for the Cyclones

Reactions: rocketnation
I think the possibility of Simeon beating the Rockets is reasonable. And that CBC SHG game is going to be a long ride home for the Cyclones
If the Rockets are sluggish early, it could be a long afternoon.

I'm looking to the CBC-SHG score as something of a marker for Rochester-Ritter next week. Not a perfect comparison but think there is some validity to it.

Reactions: FB1976

I'm looking to the CBC-SHG score as something of a marker for Rochester-Ritter next week. Not a perfect comparison but think there is some validity to it.
I also see if the Rockets can beat Simeon soundly, and not necessarily in a dominant manner, it will be a precursor to success against SHG. The reciprocal can be true as well.

CBC 49 SHG 14
Chatham 31 Edwardsville 28
Rochester 28 Simeon 26
Springfield 32 Champaign Central 14
Lincoln 28 Lanphier 6
SE 24 E Peoria 16
Jacksonville 55 Pittsfield 6
MacArthur 28 Mattoon 22
Eisenhower 22 Streator 18
Quincy 56 QND 12
U High 30 Manual 24

I just don’t see how the U-High-Manual game will stay as close as many are predicting. U-High returns so much from a 7-2 team last year, and Manual is coming off a 2-7 year where they got blown out by teams that U-High beat by 20+.

I just don’t see how the U-High-Manual game will stay as close as many are predicting. U-High returns so much from a 7-2 team last year, and Manual is coming off a 2-7 year where they got blown out by teams that U-High beat by 20+.
Agree. Lincoln hammered them last year.

CBC 42 SHG 14
Chatham 21 Edwardsville 35
Rochester 35 Simeon 24
Springfield 21 Champaign Central 13
Lincoln 35 Lanphier 8
East Peoria 22 Southeast 24
Jacksonville 32 Pittsfield 14
MacArthur 28 Mattoon 20
Eisenhower 21 Streator 14
Quincy 40 QND 14
U High 32 Manual 16

Looks like the weather could push many games to either a later start tonight or even to tomorrow. Thunderstorms look possible all the way to 9 pm. Just like Week 1 last year.

Best case scenario is we're getting hit hard at the moment but it could switch to rain only by kickoff and then die down.

Last edited:
  • Angry
I figured it out. Your problem is treatable!!! You have histrionic personality disorder: A person characterized by an excessive need for attention and dramatic behavior to be noticed by others; essentially, always needing to be the center of the conversation.
Preach!

All... I55 South on the road terrible lots of precip and more to come. Hope the turf drains through pouring rain in St. Louis. Fwiw the latest from Massey projection if the two Missouri Catholic teams that the Cyclones and Rockets will face early in the season would be.... CBC 38 Ritter 28. (66%) Ratsy

Chatham/Edwardsville was 3 minutes until kickoff when delayed. Now postponed until tomorrow at 6pm.

Springfield/Champaign Central has been postponed. Will be played at 6pm tomorrow.

Final: CBC 45-0 over SHG.

Final: Quincy 40-12 over QND, who stayed close for a half trailing only 20-12 at the midpoint.

Final: Jacksonville over Pittsfield 26-14. I thought the Crimsons would running clock the 2A Saukees.

Final: U High 64-28 over Manual.

Final: Streator 20-12 over Eisenhower.

Final: MacArthur 47-6 over Mattoon. A lopsided road win for the Generals in their first game without offensive standouts Cameron France and Myson Johnson Cook.

Final: Lincoln over Lanphier 32-0. A moral victory of sorts for the Lions who avoided a running clock and gave up fewer points than in any '23 game.

Final: East Peoria 28-26 over Southeast in the first game for both head coaches.

Last edited:
All.... A time for A CHANGE. Elementary change has to happen. Search elsewhere for one that understands crap. Junk offense from the OC dies when one gets comfortale with it. See.... SHG/CBC. Ratsy

• Wow
Reactions: FB1976
All.... For the love of God open up the offensive play book.. NO ONE (with this team) could possibly stay up with who they will face. And a good evening to all and a Merry Christmas. lol Ratsy

All.... For the love of God open up the offensive play book.. NO ONE (with this team) could possibly stay up with who they will face. And a good evening to all and a Merry Christmas. lol Ratsy
Can you elaborate a little more ratsy? I was unable to listen in tonight. Bad play calling into the CBC defensive set, or just what?

All... 45 to (zip) aganist a decent team like that into two year is an issue. Losing is one thing not being competitve is a whole different story,,, Fix it or change..... Ratsy

What exactly would you suggest? For anyone with a half a brain you can see that it's basically a sophmore team with a few varsity helpers. To run plays you have to have an O line that isn't getting their tails kicked on every single play. I don't care WHAT kind of offense you run. With no line play you will have no success. The bottom line is they didn't belong on the field with that team, and any thinking person who knows the situation knew that was going to happen down there. In case you weren't aware we were playing a senior dominated team with several future D 1 players on it with a bunch of young kids. If I had one gripe it would be to NOT schedule teams that you have absolutely no business being on the field with. On to week 2.

What exactly would you suggest? For anyone with a half a brain you can see that it's basically a sophmore team with a few varsity helpers. To run plays you have to have an O line that isn't getting their tails kicked on every single play. I don't care WHAT kind of offense you run. With no line play you will have no success. The bottom line is they didn't belong on the field with that team, and any thinking person who knows the situation knew that was going to happen down there. In case you weren't aware we were playing a senior dominated team with several future D 1 players on it with a bunch of young kids. If I had one gripe it would be to NOT schedule teams that you have absolutely no business being on the field with. On to week 2.
All.... Blah, blah. blah. I see two of the most uniformed posters (Rocket fans what a surprise lol ) (and long time nimrods) liked your post. The game tonight had nothing to do with with youth on the field but lack of critical minue to minute change to compensate and adjust on every play. The same old same old doesn't work in every game. Adjust or die.... Have a pleasant and nice evening. Ratsy

Perhaps you should take over the program. You obviously know exactly how to handle things. Better get over there to the west campus and straighten em out. Have a great night and sober up while you're at it.
All... Perhaps YOU should stay in you lane and not spout out about nothing you comprehend guppie.... Catch you on the flip side should you decide to venture into the grassy knoll . Have a pleasant evening. Ratsy

• Haha
Reactions: gobears25
All... Perhaps YOU should stay in you lane and not spout out about nothing you comprehend guppie.... Catch you on the flip side should you decide to venture into the grassy knoll . Have a pleasant evening. Ratsy
All... A pretentious armchair quarterback shouts his definitely good suggestions into the wind, nothing novel here... Gobears25

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT