ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 1

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
These predictions will be a challenge with three 1st time non-conference games vs solid Big 12 teams, the return of Lincoln to the conference, and the mix of perennial Week 1 issues coupled with extreme heat. Assuming all the Friday night games still go off as scheduled, kickoff temps could still be in the mid to high 80's. Expect these games to go longer than usual due to player cramping.

Friday
Lincoln at Lanphier
Lincoln's first game back in the CS8 after having been in the Apollo conference since 2017. Lincoln went 4-5 last year in the Apollo and has a good number of returning players. Lanphier was 1-8 and gave up a conference high 414 points along with going through multiple QB's. The renovated Memorial Stadium seems to have given a boost to the Lanphier program, and I expect them to give a good effort. Coach Goff seems to have found a QB as well. Lincoln still has more experience and greater depth. They should get the win. Lincoln 28 Lanphier 13

Southeast at MacArthur
This is a rematch of last year's Week 1 contest, which Mac won 40-8 at Southeast. I don't see a huge difference in either team from last year at this time. Southeast has several good athletes, particularly at WR, but will need to protect their QB better to give him time to throw. Mac has an intriguing freshman RB who has already been offered by the U of I. How much will he factor in their offense immediately? New Spartan Coach Kinkade will likely need to wait until a later date to get his first win. MacArthur 38 Southeast 12

Jacksonville at Eisenhower
Last year, the Crimsons won 48-0 in Week 6. Jacksonville has to replace 3-year starting QB Elijah Owens (Indiana State). They do return an experienced O-Line and an elite RB in Cam'Ron Mitchell. Eisenhower could have packed it in last season after being shutout 5 weeks in a row from weeks 2-6 and giving up a total of 368 points. They never quit and played better at the end of the season, getting their lone win in Week 8 against Southeast. Jacksonville should be able to get their new QB some needed experience and come out on top. Jacksonville 35 Eisenhower 8

Danville at Chatham
The first of the CS8 vs Big 12 games. These two teams have played before, with Chatham winning 56-20 in the 2019 playoffs. Chatham made the 6A semifinals that year before losing to East St Louis. Danville was 6-4 last year, losing to Normal West in the 1st round of the 6A playoffs. Chatham was 7-3 and lost to Quincy in the 1st round of the 6A playoffs. Chatham will probably play 2 QB's, a Junior who is more of a runner and a Sophomore who is more of a thrower. I expect Danville to test the Titans Run defense early and often. I do predict a Chatham win as they typically play well at home and started out last year very strong. However, I think this will be a close contest. Chatham 30 Danville 22 GAME MOVED TO SATURDAY 7 PM

SHG at Normal Community
The second of the CS8 vs Big 12 games. A challenging start for new SHG Coach Allison, on the road against a 7A playoff qualifier who returns a good number of players. SHG is the underdog. I won't be shocked if they lose but will be if they don't play competitively. An SHG upset is also not out of the realm of possibility. SHG has 19 new starters and if those players have any growing pains, it's most likely to be in Week 1. SHG doesn't want to get behind by multiple scores early. I don't know much about the Ironmen, except with an enrollment of almost 2,100 this is the largest school SHG has faced in some time. I think the home field team wins out in a tight game. Normal Community 34 SHG 27

Rochester at Peoria
The last of the CS8 vs Big 12 games. Rochester opens on the road against the defending 5A runners-up. Not crazy that this is being played Week 1 and away from home, but it will serve as a clear marker for the rest of the season. Rochester will also be without QB/WR Parker Gillespie until at least the 2nd half of the regular season. The Rockets will likely split snaps at QB with Juniors Bryan Zulauf and Eli Carlson. Rochester's defense should be improved from last year, and we'll find out immediately how well they can compete against Peoria's size and athleticism. I think if the score is in the 20's and 30's for each team, the Rockets have a great chance to win. If it hits the 40's, I think the advantage switches to Peoria. Hopefully, Rochester special teams will be ready for multiple on-side kicks. I think Rochester finds a way to eke out a win. Rochester 38 Peoria 34

Saturday
U High at Springfield
The second game to be played at the renovated Memorial Stadium. Last year, Springfield got a nice road win by beating U High 32-13 in Week 4. U High has improved their program numbers and played a lot of Sophomores last season. They took their lumps at times but gained valuable experience. Unfortunately for U High, they have to replace a 2-year starting QB who was the focal point of their offense while facing Springfield and SHG on the road Weeks 1 and 2. Springfield went 4-5 last year but should make the playoffs. The big question is how many regular season wins are realistic, 5, 6, or possibly 7? The Senators will be starting a Sophomore at QB apparently, having moved last year's QB, Paul Hartman, to WR/TE. Hartman will be very difficult to cover. Springfield should win fairly comfortably. Springfield 38 U High 15

Last edited:
All.... Black out and senior night from the Ironmen at Dick Tharp Field when the Cyclones come calling. I suppose the welcome mat is out as well. 😉 Ratsy

Rochester vs Peoria kickoff has been moved to 7:30.

Wonder if more CS8 contests to follow.

The three Channel 1450 analysts have made their choices for Week 1. They have picked Lincoln (3-0 vote), MacArthur (3-0), Jacksonville (3-0), Chatham (3-0), Normal Community (2-1), Rochester (3-0), and in a bit of a surprise in my opinion U High (2-1).

I honestly believe SHG and Rochester will open with losses. I don't see an undefeated conference champ this year. I hope I am wrong.

State Journal Register (SJR) Staff Predictions
Lincoln 45 Lanphier 14
MacArthur 28 Southeast 21
Jacksonville 59 Eisenhower 6
Chatham 45 Danville 14
Normal Community 42 SHG 35
Peoria 49 Rochester 42
Springfield 42 U High 20

Glenwood and Danville game has been moved to Saturday at 7 pm.

Lanphier and Lincoln have pushed back their Friday start to 7:30 pm.

MacArthur and Southeast will play Friday at 8 pm at Millikin University.

Last edited:
All.... On a different subject the local radio crews that will be be doing the game at Normal and Peoria will not get press box access. The Rochester contingent is getting a table and some chairs. Sammy and his crew get to climb up a ladder onto the top of the press box and do their broadcast in the sun. Hospitality at it's best. 😎 Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... Heard on the radio yesterday that the Chatham/Danville game has been moved to Saturday.

On a different subject the local radio crews that will be be doing the game at Normal and Peoria will not get press box access. The Rochester contingent is getting a table and some chairs. Sammy and his crew get to climb up a ladder onto the top of the press box and do their broadcast in the sun. Hospitality at it's best. 😎 Ratsy
Not sure Sammy needs to be doing a lot of climbing. Maybe put him on the sidelines and send some younger legs up the ladder?

All.... Heard on the radio yesterday that the Chatham/Danville game has been moved to Saturday.

On a different subject the local radio crews that will be be doing the game at Normal and Peoria will not get press box access. The Rochester contingent is getting a table and some chairs. Sammy and his crew get to climb up a ladder onto the top of the press box and do their broadcast in the sun. Hospitality at it's best. 😎 Ratsy
was there any reason given?

Not sure Sammy needs to be doing a lot of climbing. Maybe put him on the sidelines and send some younger legs up the ladder?

All.... I don't know if this is an up to date picture at Dick Tharp Field in Normal. Can't tell if the ladder is from the ground up. Ratsy

All.... As far as I know unless the schools plan on waiting to the very last minute to change. The afternoon local sports show in Springfield yesterday as well as Sammy this morning on the radio noted the game is still at 7pm and had not received info to the contrary. Ratsy

The weekly South County (Sangamon) paper also makes CS8 football predictions, so I'll include them each week as well as the SJR picks. Always interested in comparing my predictions to others.

Lanphier 20 Lincoln 14
MacArthur 26 Southeast 18
Jacksonville 45 Eisenhower 19
Chatham 32 Danville 28
Normal Community 26 SHG 20
Rochester 36 Peoria 33
Springfield 28 U High 24

Peoria Journal Star just predicted Peoria 56 Rochester 27

Let the smack talk begin!
Peoria has hardware and a pretty impressive offense the past 8 years or so to brag about. So I feel the hype is warranted, and the smack talk justified. Tim Thornton won't back down from anyone, and he teaches the same to his kids. Peoria should be ready to compete.

All.... Game stopped by weather with SHG trailing 20 to 7 before the half. Umm ehh .... Many unusual things going on on the field and on the sideline with the Cycs. I bugged out with that delay. A runner on the good guys was on the way. Ratsy

Finals
Rochester 40 Peoria 14. Shocking to me that this was a 40-0 running clock early in the 3rd. Derek's play calling was excellent and both QB's (Zulauf and Carlson) had some good moments. The night belonged to the Defense though, forcing 5 turnovers and not allowing a high-powered offense to score until the running clock was achieved. Major credit goes to DC Steve Buecker. His secondary, in particular, was in the right place all night.

Normal Community 54 SHG 14. Caught just a little of this on the way home. A tough start for John Allison, but I still believe that the Cyclones will improve quickly and be in the upper tier of the CS8. They get a home game next week which should help.

Not Final
Extreme heat turned into a lot of lightning throughout Central Illinois. Several games either never started or were only partially played.

Don't know if Lanphier-Lincoln ever got started, but apparently this will either start or be resumed tomorrow at 11 am.

Jacksonville 21 Decatur Eisenhower 0, 2nd Quarter. Will resume at 7 pm Saturday.

Decatur MacArthur 15 Southeast 0, 1st Quarter. Will resume tomorrow at 5 pm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Formicidae13
All.... Who dat Rat that predicted a runner after watching less then a half down 20-7. Sigh... LFF in 2023 Ratsy.
Rat, let us know about the "unusual things going on." Deer-in-the-headlights vibes, lack of organization, etc.? Listening to the game, it sounded like the "special(?) teams" were anything but!! From what Sam and Tim were saying, it seems like some of the "potential" receivers didn't have a clue where they were supposed to be (unless Levi didn't know). The lightning flashes may have been the only bright spots for the Cyclones all night. What a difference 9 months and 25 graduating seniors make!!!

P.S.: If Levi continues to be their ONLY running weapon, he won't last the season!! The kids ARE covered by medical insurance, right?

Rat, let us know about the "unusual things going on." Deer-in-the-headlights vibes, lack of organization, etc.? Listening to the game, it sounded like the "special(?) teams" were anything but!! From what Sam and Tim were saying, it seems like some of the "potential" receivers didn't have a clue where they were supposed to be (unless Levi didn't know). The lightning flashes may have been the only bright spots for the Cyclones all night. What a difference 9 months and 25 graduating seniors make!!!

P.S.: If Levi continues to be their ONLY running weapon, he won't last the season!! The kids ARE covered by medical insurance, right?
Going to toss this into the "completely classless" pile.

Idk how else to get to this next statement, so I'll just start and end there...

Malleus... You're a bum.

Peoria has hardware and a pretty impressive offense the past 8 years or so to brag about. So I feel the hype is warranted, and the smack talk justified. Tim Thornton won't back down from anyone, and he teaches the same to his kids. Peoria should be ready to compete.
Well, I guess smack talk was absolutely unwarranted. Very curious to see what the Peoria Journal Star has to say. I’m not a subscriber to their paper. But I’m certain that was a difficult synopsis for their sports beat writer to write.

Well, I guess smack talk was absolutely unwarranted. Very curious to see what the Peoria Journal Star has to say. I’m not a subscriber to their paper. But I’m certain that was a difficult synopsis for their sports beat writer to write.
Yeah, tough one. I also think how good Rochester will be this year has been greatly downplayed. Should have been a LOT more hype for them leading into this weekend.

Thought, incorrectly it seems, that the renovated Memorial Stadium would give the Lions a bit of a boost.
All.... I was in the area and drove by. Parking is a mess. Cars on North Grand and Converse up and down the streets. The lot next to the stadium even smaller now jammed. And not really many spectators.

I heard on the radio it won't be till next year before the student parking area will be ready which was used by spectators at games. Also many of the houses across the street on North Grand are abandoned because of the rail extension upgrade. They look like flop houses. I would like to see all of those leveled and parking put in if the line doesn't go through that particular area. Just a thought. Ratsy

Reactions: net-se
Going to toss this into the "completely classless" pile.

Idk how else to get to this next statement, so I'll just start and end there...

Malleus... You're a bum.
Hey, just because video killed the radio star, don't blame me. I told them you'd come unhinged, but they wouldn't listen. Go figure!

Hey, just because video killed the radio star, don't blame me. I told them you'd come unhinged, but they wouldn't listen. Go figure!
So you just spew ignorance at every turn... I can't say I'm surprised. At keast update your material. None of these kids were even alive in the 80s.

Your personal insignificance is really on display here. What's the word for people who act smarter than they really are?

More Finals
Jacksonville 51 Eisenhower 6
MacArthur 50 Southeast 0

Chatham 14 Danville 12
I went to this one. Danville only dressed about 30 players and it showed in the 2nd half. Their QB missed about 5 plays after cramping during a drive that Danville needed a score. Chatham was able to run the ball consistently most of the game but missed out on several scoring chances. They had 2 turnovers in Danville territory, one inside the 20. The Titans also ended the game taking a knee at the Vikings 1 yard line. Danville had an extra point blocked, which forced them to go for 2 after scoring to pull within 14-12 in the 4th. Chatham was able to deflect the pass and hold on for the win.

And in the upset I didn't see coming but 2 of the 1450 pickers were on target:
U High 35 Springfield 18
Springfield won 32-13 at U High last year and looked to be improved this season. U High needed to replace a 2-year starting QB who was most of their offense last season. U High was able to control the ball most of the 2nd half, mostly running the ball, and scored the final 22 points. A very nice win for Coach Walworth.

Both home teams at the renovated Memorial Stadium, Lanphier and Springfield, could not get Week 1 wins.

Reactions: FB1976
Week 2 Matchups/Week 1 Observations
All Friday games Week 2. One CS8 vs Big 12 Matchup.

U High (1-0) at SHG (0-1)
Springfield (0-1) at Rochester (1-0)
Peoria Richwoods (0-1) at Southeast (0-1)
Chatham (1-0) at Lanphier (0-1)
Eisenhower (0-1) at Lincoln (1-0)
MacArthur (1-0) at Jacksonville (1-0)

Biggest Suprise (Good): U High outscores Springfield 22-0 in the 2nd half and gets a very nice road win 35-18. Last season, Springfield had their most significant victory win beating U High on the road 32-13. Did not expect U High to start this strongly after losing QB Colin Cunningham.

Biggest Suprise (Bad): Springfield scored with ease in the 1st half against U High and then their defense could not stop the run in the 2nd half. Turnovers also hurt the Senators. Coming back from the Chatham game, I caught the 4th quarter on the radio. U High manufactured several long drives which kept the Springfield offense on the sidelines.

The projected bottom three in the conference (Southeast, Lanphier, and Eisenhower) were outscored 142-14. Southeast has a chance for a win in Week 2, as Richwoods lost to Bloomington 41-0.

Lincoln won easily in their return to the CS8. They should go to 2-0 next week. Week 3 game against Springfield should be a competitive contest.

SHG and U High is now potentially more interesting after U High's Week 1 win. I expect to see a much different Cyclone performance in Week 2.

The CS8 leads the Big 12 after one week 2-1.

The game of the week is MacArthur at Jacksonville. Both teams won big in Week 1. The Crimsons have won the last two years and have the home field advantage. I think they need this game more than Mac does in the search for 5 wins and playoff eligibility. Mac's touted freshman RB apparently had a 60 yd TD his first varsity carry.

Myson Johnson-Cook... the Mac frosh... kid is special. He looks the part and in his first varsity game at age 15, he showed he may have the game to back it up. Spates has a good one on his hands. If the Mac defense can be this stout all year, 5 wins shouldn't be a problem.

Jacksonville v. Mac has become an annual swing game. Winner usually makes the playoffs, loser often misses the show...

Reactions: rocketnation
All.... After a couple of days the fuzziness has cleared. (A bit too much time in the Pub II with the rest of the large contingent of Cyclone fans before the game. lol)

SHG was not going to win that game against the Ironmen after I watched them for a short period of time. My opinion but the 2022 Cycs team would of had their hands full with those cats as well. As a rule NC runs the Big 12 in football. Peoria has come along and at times won conference but it's still the Ironmen. After a "down" season finishing 7-4 this team according to those inside the program looks to be one of the best in a decade.

Supposedly the two top dogs for 2023 is last years conference winner Community West and NC with Peoria in the third spot close by. We will see.

Lastly long time sports writer Ryan Mahan from the State Journal register wrote the article on this game. If he also penned the headline "Things went bad for SHG without Leonard" for shame. Making a leaping conclusion like that is premature. By the way Coach Allison has been with SHG for 20 years and OC for many of those running the Cyclone offense. On to week two and and welcome Normal University to Springfield this Friday.... Ratsy

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT