ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Prediction Week 14 SHG vs PC

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Sacred Heart Griffin (SHG) 13-0 vs Providence Catholic (PC) 9-4

SHG Regular Season: Beat 4A Semi-Finalist Rochester 62-27, 5A Qualifier Jacksonville 55-14, 5A Qualifier Decatur MacArthur 52-0, and 6A Qualifier Chatham 49-0.

PC Regular Season: Lost to 7A Qualifier Wheaton North 0-28, Beat 5A Qualifier Fenwick 25-22, Lost to 4A Qualifier Joliet Catholic 41-49, Lost to 8A Finalist Loyola 22-34, and Lost to 7A Semi-Finalist St Rita 16-26.

SHG Post Season: Beat Spring Valley 55-6, Waterloo 28-16, Murphysboro 51-13, and Rochester 56-42.

PC Post Season: Beat Wheaton Academy 17-3, Joliet Catholic 24-14, Richmond Burton 31-14, and Wheaton St Francis 17-14.

SHG blitzed the CS8 in the regular season, with their closest victory a 35 point margin. In the playoffs, they had two significant scares. They trailed Waterloo on the road 16-7 in the 3rd Quarter, before scoring the final 21 points to win 28-16. Last week, they fell behind at home 28-0 to Rochester before rallying to win 56-42. SHG scored the final 28 points.

PC went 5-4 during the regular season but played an extremely difficult schedule, much more so than SHG. Only 1 of the four losses was by more than 12 points. They were competitive with 7A St Rita and 8A Loyola. In the playoffs, they avenged one of the losses by beating Joliet Catholic and also beat three other highly ranked 4A teams.

SHG is very experienced, returning 15 starters from last season’s runner up team and starting a total of 19 Seniors. They have a 2-year QB, Ty Lott, who will be making his 28th career start. He has over 40 combined passing and rushing TD’s. The Cyclones have two good RB’s and use up to seven different Receivers, several of whom are both big and very athletic. The fewest points they’ve scored this season is 28. On defense, SHG has struggled at times with power running attacks, but has a good group of Linebackers and a Secondary that is aggressive and forces turnovers. The Cyclones are also excellent on Special Teams.

As of this afternoon, PC had not posted their stats on the IHSA finals site, and they only have three box scores on Maxpreps. So, I am flying blind to an extent. They have a big offensive line, ranging from 245-270 pounds. They also start 2 TE’s and their main running back is 5’7” 195 pounds. Based on that, I’m expecting PC to run right at the SHG defense for as long as it’s successful. The PC defense has only allowed 45 points in the playoffs. Their DL and LB’s aren’t huge but are all at least 200 pounds. They start 3 Sophomores in the secondary. By this point of the season, these young DB’s are battle hardened but they will definitely be tested by the SHG Receivers.

Based on playoff performance and strength of schedule, PC should probably be a slight favorite to win. I’ll be very surprised if this isn’t a competitive game that‘s not decided until late in the 4th Quarter. I think SHG’s experience and desire to send Ken Leonard out with a win is just enough to pull this out. SHG 28 PC 26.

Last edited:

SHG Regular Season: Beat 4A Semi-Finalist Rochester 62-27, 5A Qualifier Jacksonville 55-14, 5A Qualifier Decatur MacArthur 52-0, and 6A Qualifier Chatham 49-0.

PC Regular Season: Lost to 7A Qualifier Wheaton North 0-28, Beat 5A Qualifier Fenwick 25-22, Lost to 4A Qualifier Joliet Catholic 41-49, Lost to 8A Finalist Loyola 22-34, and Lost to 7A Semi-Finalist St Rita 16-26.

SHG Post Season: Beat Spring Valley 55-6, Waterloo 28-16, Murphysboro 51-13, and Rochester 56-42.

PC Post Season: Beat Wheaton Academy 17-3, Joliet Catholic 24-14, Richmond Burton 31-14, and Wheaton St Francis 17-14.

SHG blitzed the CS8 in the regular season, with their closest victory a 35 point margin. In the playoffs, they had two significant scares. They trailed Waterloo on the road 16-7 in the 3rd Quarter, before scoring the final 21 points to win 28-16. Last week, they fell behind at home 28-0 to Rochester before rallying to win 56-42. SHG scored the final 28 points.

PC went 5-4 during the regular season but played an extremely difficult schedule, much more so than SHG. Only 1 of the four losses was by more than 12 points. They were competitive with 7A St Rita and 8A Loyola. In the playoffs, they avenged one of the losses by beating Joliet Catholic and also beat three other highly ranked 4A teams.

SHG is very experienced, returning 15 starters from last season’s runner up team and starting a total of 19 Seniors. They have a 2-year QB, Ty Lott, who will be making his 28th career start. He has over 40 combined passing and rushing TD’s. The Cyclones have two good RB’s and use up to seven different Receivers, several of whom are both big and very athletic. The fewest points they’ve scored this season is 28. On defense, SHG has struggled at times with power running attacks, but has a good group of Linebackers and a Secondary that is aggressive and forces turnovers. The Cyclones are also excellent on Special Teams.

As of this afternoon, PC had not posted their stats on the IHSA finals site, and they only have three box scores on Maxpreps. So, I am flying blind to an extent. They have a big offensive line, ranging from 245-270 pounds. They also start 2 TE’s and their main running back is 5’7” 195 pounds. Based on that, I’m expecting PC to run right at the SHG defense for as long as it’s successful. The PC defense has only allowed 45 points in the playoffs. Their DL and LB’s aren’t huge but are all at least 200 pounds. They start 3 Sophomores in the secondary. By this point of the season, these young DB’s are battle hardened but they will be definitely tested by the SHG Receivers.

Based on playoff performance and strength of schedule, PC should probably be a slight favorite to win. I’ll be very surprised if this isn’t a competitive game that isn’t decided until late in the 4th Quarter. I think SHG’s experience and desire to send Ken Leonard out with a win is just enough to pull this out. SHG 28 PC 26.
Great analysis. Thanks!

Reactions: rocketnation

As of this afternoon, PC had not posted their stats on the IHSA finals site, and they only have three box scores on Maxpreps. So, I am flying blind to an extent. They have a big offensive line, ranging from 245-270 pounds. They also start 2 TE’s and their main running back is 5’7” 195 pounds. Based on that, I’m expecting PC to run right at the SHG defense for as long as it’s successful. The PC defense has only allowed 45 points in the playoffs. Their DL and LB’s aren’t huge but are all at least 200 pounds. They start 3 Sophomores in the secondary. By this point of the season, these young DB’s are battle hardened but they will be definitely tested by the SHG Receivers.

Based on playoff performance and strength of schedule, PC should probably be a slight favorite to win. I’ll be very surprised if this isn’t a competitive game that‘s not decided until late in the 4th Quarter. I think SHG’s experience and desire to send Ken Leonard out with a win is just enough to pull this out. SHG 28 PC 26.
I've seen parts of several PC games this year and listened to the SF game. I also watched SF vs. IC.

PC is bigger on the line for sure and that alone will give SHG problems. Defensively SHG relies on its LBs for most of their running stops, so to run successfully PC has to neutralize West and McMann, both themselves over 200 lbs and lightning quick Richard Jackson. They can pass, but if they have to pass they will have problems with SHG's fast and theft happy DBs. Their path to a win is simple. Score every time they get the ball and take their time doing it.

Defensively they have to control Lott, a great passer and good runner whose best side is neither, but instead his decision making. If they can get to him or consistently harass him then they have a good chance.

SHG's path is offense. A high scoring game favors the Cyclones. One stat seldom mentioned is time of possession. Every game they played showed a time deficit. They score fast and often from way out. Against Rochester in the semis they got down 28-0 in about 17 minutes - then outscored the Rockets 56-14 in the remaining 31 minutes. Oppposing DBs have to cover all receivers because unlike most spread teams, all of their receivers are live on every play.

In addition to getting to Lott PC has to maintain cover on the receivers but also keep the SHG RBs from penetrating because both Jackson and Sanders are burners.

One last factor is Cyclone kicker Mason Grove. Almost automatic on PATs, he's only kicked two FGs but puts the majority of his kickoffs in the endzone

The predicted field conditions should favor the Cyclones. Turf, temp in the 40s and a dry period from mid-morning Friday on.

I am having trouble calling this one. I don't expect a two point game. One team or the other will dominate by 2 scores depending on which best executes their game plan.

My feeling is one of optimism. As Ratsy always says. " I like the Cyclones' chances in this one."

All.... Sammy on 1450 this morning mentioned he was able to get one of the Celtics games on his tv through youtube. I came across the same issue that rocketnation had a few days ago. Hardly anything on Maxpreps, Hudl usually good not much. Bits and pieces from other games going through the Celtics opposition. Enough to get an idea.

The only thing I would add is the importance of conditioning in what will likely be a very active four quarters. Neither team better wear down or that spells quite a bit of trouble. I did notice as well that NLP didn't submit their stat pdf file which is not a big deal. It's more for the fans. K.L. being in the business for "awhile" has resources and connections all over the state. I'm sure they have plenty of film and I know the Celtics have been scouted. And that is a two way street.

Everyone has enough to put together an extensive game plan. Should be a fun one to watch. This will be I believe the fourth meeting (maybe one more) between the Cyclones and Celtics. Ratsy

1995 State final - NLP22 SHG 17. The implosion game. SHG is up by 10 with the ball and a fresh set of downs with three minutes left and doesn't get the win. Louis Medina is a name I have not forgotten.

2007 Round 1 at Memorial Stadium in Springfield. The what happened game? NLP 28 SHG 20

2008 Semi-Final in New Lenox. The I feel much better game even though they stole my SHG flag. (lol) SHG 24 NLP 17. The following week SHG defeats Lemont 37-15 for the 6A title.

Last edited:
For the 1995 game, SHG was a huge underdog. I had not followed it and then happened to turn on 1450 just prior to the implosion. If I remember correctly, Sammy was moving towards celebrating a tremendous upset a little prematurely and then the back to back fumbles occurred.

All.... NLP ended up ranked #10 in the nation at the end of the high school football season that year. Ratsy

Reactions: net-se
SHG outplayed the Celtics in that game for 3 and a half quarters and should have won. NLP had no answer for Matt Mitrione, and others on what was probably one of the best defensive teams the Cyclones have ever put on the field. I believe the Wells brothers, Ryan and Eric were on that team along with Dave Shneller who was only about 180 pounds but hit people like he was 220. I belive JC Clark was on that team too as a tight end. Mitrione ended up playing for Purdue and later the New York Giants along side Michael Strahan and others. One tough dude.

Found the ‘95 game on Youtube and watched it again. SHG could have easily led 17-0 or 21-0 prior to scoring their first TD. 2 dropped passes that might have easily gone for scores, an untimely personal foul by the SHG QB deep in PC territory, and a barely missed 50 yard FG all occurred before the tipped pass TD that put them up 7-0.

A couple of other names from the game: Bill Brune who had 15 INT’s on the year and threw for a score on a trick play and Brad Svoboda who caught 1 TD and almost returned a kickoff for another.

My memory failed me on one point. I thought SHG had back to back fumbles that led to PC’S last two TD’s. A short punt led to the score that got PC to within 17-15 followed by the fumble that led to the winning score.

Final
SHG 44 PC 20
Congratulations to the Cyclones and Ken Leonard on an impressive win for the 4A title. What a great way for Ken to go out with a Sixth state championship.

SHG pulled away in the 2nd half after leading 21-14 at the break, outscoring PC 23-6. This continued their dominating 2nd half performance in the playoffs. The speed and power of RB’s Bill Sanders and Richard Jackson was the difference in my opinion. PC actually forced SHG to punt 6 times in the game, when I’m not sure they’d punted much more than that in the first 13. PC simply could not match SHG’s big play capability and when the Cyclones scored it was often in just a few plays. Jackson and Sanders both had runs of at least 80 yards and were very hard to bring down. Ty Lott also had 3 TD passes.

The Cyclones defense also played very well and deserves some kudos. They closed to the ball quickly all night, pressured the QB often, and had two important interceptions. PC had some success running in the first half but had to throw the ball most of the second. Most importantly, the SHG defense got two quick stops to start the second half when the game was still close.

One more day of the 2022 season remains, and then I’ll start thinking about August 2023.

All..... Just got home. Domination. Cyclones could of put it away before the half. A couple of sailing balls over wide open receivers and a couple of obvious PI calls.

But after a few of series you knew they were better.... Congrats. CYCS! Ratsy

Last edited:
SHG was a great 2nd half team in the most important playoff games. Versus Waterloo, Rochester, and Providence Catholic, the combined 1st half score was 42-55. The combined 2nd half score was 86-23.

2022 Final CS8 Standings and Looking Ahead to 2023
1- SHG (14-0, 4A State Champions)
2- Rochester (11-2, 4A Semi-Finals)
3- Chatham (7-3, 6A Qualifier)
4- Jacksonville (6-4, 5A Qualifier)
5- Decatur MacArthur (5-5, 5A Qualifier)
6- Springfield (4-5)
7- U High (3-6)
8-10- Southeast, Lanphier, and Eisenhower (All 1-8)

Lincoln was 4-5 in the Apollo Conference and will be rejoining the CS8 in 2023.

The top 4 conference teams will all be replacing their QB’s in 2023. Ty Lott was 26-2 in 2 years at SHG and played in two state title games. Keeton Reiss accounted for over 40 total TD’s for Rochester in his first year of starting. Jack Knudson was a 2-year starter for a potent Chatham offense. Elijah Owens was a 3-year starter for Jacksonville who helped get them to the playoffs in 2021 and 2022.

SHG loses 19 starters from their 4A championship team but, until someone in the conference defeats them, they should be considered the favorite.

Rochester will get a huge test right of the bat in 2023 playing at Peoria in Week 1. At least RB Washington will have graduated. Expect Parker Gillespie to move from WR to being the starting QB.

Chatham should have strong Junior and Sophomore classes but they are losing many key players, including QB Knudson, RB Blaise, WR Randall, WR Stapleton, OL Hamrick, DL Lee, and LB Rogers. Chatham has the largest number of players in their program out of all the teams. Will that result in more success in 2023?

Jacksonville has to deal with low program numbers along with the loss of QB Owens.

Springfield has the potential to leapfrog Mac and Jacksonville next season. They were one of only 4 conference teams to have Freshman, JV, and Varsity squads for the entire 2022 season and have good program numbers.

Lincoln did better in the Apollo conference than their first go around in the CS8. They were in the playoff hunt through the end of the regular season before finishing 4-5. They will struggle against the top half of the CS8.

At this point, it’s hard to see U High, Southeast, Eisenhower, and Lanphier having much success in 2023. Maybe that will change by next August.

Reactions: net-se and Gene K.
All.... Peoria returns six (3 on both sides) but lose all world RB Washington and some of those massive lineman. I like the Rockets in that week one game.

SHG jumps quickly right into the fire playing the Ironmen at their stadium. Normal more often then not is usually the team to beat in Big 12 conference play. They did go 6-3 during the regular season this year. New HC John Allison will have his hands full in that matchup. SHG a school of about 500 against Normal who have a little over 2000 students. The Cyclones return only two starters from the offense and one from the defense. A massive rebuild. It's' going to be a very interesting new season. Two qb's for SHG going at it for the starting position I believe. Look for Ethan Hagele as the go to RB who will likely see action on the defensive side as well. (LFF23) Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... I have put together a partial list of the SHG schedule for next year. Have to do something during the day. (lol)

W1 - Normal Community (A)
W2 - Normal University (H)
W3 - Jacksonville (A)
W4 -
W5 -
W6 -
W7 - Decatur (Eisenhower) (H)
W8 - Decatur (Macarthur) (A)
W9 -

I was curious when the Rochester game would be. A couple of the teams (above) listed play the Rockets in weeks 4 and 5. So if I have it correct it will be week 6 or 9. Week nine would be a way to end the regular season with a bang. I don't know what team SHG will not play in 2023 because of the one non con game. I did notice Normal University does not play Rochester. (LFF23) Ratsy

Last edited:
FWIW
Per Channel 1450, here are the number of returning All Conference and Special Mention players by team for next season.

SHG (All Conference 0/Special Mention 3)
Rochester (4/6)
Chatham (0/11)
Jacksonville (2/8)
MacArthur (2/8)
Springfield (2/5)
U High (0/0)
Southeast (1/6)
Lanphier (0/3)
Eisenhower (0/2)

I don’t have any All Conference info on Lincoln, who was in the Apollo conference.

Players transfer, get hurt, and sometimes quit playing all together. I don’t see this necessarily as a road map to next year’s conference standings.

Everyone knew SHG was senior dominated. That doesn’t mean they lack talent at the Junior and Sophomore classes. We just haven’t had the chance to see it much yet.

U High has tried to climb from the bottom tier of the conference to competing for a chance at 5 wins and a playoff berth. The John Blutarsky 0/0 will not help that effort.

Jacksonville and Mac both have more returning than I would have guessed but still could struggle next season. The Crimson need a QB after 3 years of Owens running the team and will likely have a small Senior class. Mac did poorly against all the other conference playoff teams in 2022 and don’t seem to be as dangerous on offense and physical on defense as their teams were 3-5 years ago.

All.... The unhappy about SHG people are like snow birds that make their annual trip every year to Florida. It's that time of the year when it comes up full blown. But of course it's on the local sports radio afternoon show in Springfield. They were quite active Thursday and Friday. And what a surprise (lol) some activity this morning on Sammy's show as I post my comment right now. Ratsy (LFF23) P.S. Let's Go Cyclones! It's basketball season....

Last edited:
Reactions: Autumnball
All.... The unhappy about SHG people are like snow birds that make their annual trip every year to Florida. It's that time of the year when it comes up full blown. But of course it's on the local sports radio afternoon show in Springfield. They were quite active Thursday and Friday. And what a surprise (lol) some activity this morning on Sammy's show as I post my comment right now. Ratsy (LFF23) P.S. Let's Go Cyclones! It's basketball season....
It got pretty heated between Jim Ruppert and a couple of callers right as I was coming home from work yesterday. My trip is only 5 minutes so I might have missed more.

Heard a little on the same topic Thursday with Dan Rourke and Tim Schweitzer but that was not at yesterday’s temperature.

Missed Sammy this morning.

Reactions: Autumnball
All.... I have put together a partial list of the SHG schedule for next year. Have to do something during the day. (lol)

W1 - Normal Community (A)
W2 - Normal University (H)
W3 - Jacksonville (A)
W4 -
W5 -
W6 -
W7 - Decatur (Eisenhower) (H)
W8 - Decatur (Macarthur) (A)
W9 -

I was curious when the Rochester game would be. A couple of the teams (above) listed play the Rockets in weeks 4 and 5. So if I have it correct it will be week 6 or 9. Week nine would be a way to end the regular season with a bang. I don't know what team SHG will not play in 2023 because of the one non con game. I did notice Normal University does not play Rochester. (LFF23) Ratsy
All.... Ran down another one from a friend. W6 SHG @ Chatham. The Cyclones do not play Lincoln. That leaves weeks 4, 5 and 9 left among four remaining teams. Those schools Lanphier, Southeast, Springfield, and Rochester. One would have to think the Cyclone/Rocket game would be on. So if I'm working this incomplete puzzle correctly that would be week nine. I assume SHG and SHS want to play. A likely home game at SHG. (LFF23) Ratsy

Last edited:
If correct, about 1/2 the conference teams have 2023 schedules out on the 8 to 18 school site. Based on that, I have this incomplete Rochester schedule:
Week 1 @ Peoria
Week 3 @ MacArthur
Week 4 Jacksonville
Week 5 Eisenhower
Week 7 @ Lincoln

I won’t list them game by game but Jacksonville, Mac, Ike, U High, and Lincoln all have complete schedules (hopefully correct) on their individual 8 to 18 sites. Struck out on the other CS8 schools.

Last edited:
All.... It's like pulling nails trying to find this stuff. Completed the SHG schedule. (LFF23) Ratsy

8-25 (A) Normal Community
9-1 (H) Normal University
9-8 (A) Jacksonville
9-15 (H) Southeast
9-22 (H) Springfield
9-29 (A) Chatham
10-6 (H) Decatur (Eisenhower)
10-13 (A) Decatur (MacArthur)
10-20 (A) Rochester

I found one more for the Rockets. Week 6 Rochester @ Lanphier. That would leave week eight the only game left to complete the schedule. I assume it will be the Titans.

Last edited:
All.... Rocketnation, any word yet if Rochester has anyone scheduled for their non cons game in 2024 when the CS8 is spilt into two divisions? MacArthur and SHG are already on the Ihsa open dates board.

I came across this on another board so I don't know if it's official. I believe this is for 2024. Week 1 QND v Quincy and MacArthur v Mattoon. Week two SHG v Mascoutah. Grabbing non cons quickly is a must or it could be road trips out of state. Ratsy P.S. Haven't quite forgotten that 1990 round two playoff game with the Indians. Disturbing.... (lol)

Last edited:
All.... Rocketnation, any word yet if Rochester has anyone scheduled for their non cons game in 2024 when the CS8 is spilt into two divisions? MacArthur and SHG are already on the Ihsa open dates board.

I came across this on another board so I don't know if it's official. I believe this is for 2024. Week 1 QND v Quincy and MacArthur v Mattoon. Week two SHG v Mascoutah. Grabbing non cons quickly is a must or it could be road trips out of state. Ratsy P.S. Haven't quite forgotten that 1990 round two playoff game with the Indians. Disturbing.... (lol)
I have not heard anything yet about 2024. Will post if I come across something.

Reactions: net-se

Just saw that Mascoutah posted the 2024 matchup with SHG on Twitter so take that one as official

The Kenni Burns post and comments leads me to ask who are your Top 5 all time CS8 Running Backs. Here is my list:

1) Kenni Burns-SHG. The all time CS8 rushing leader by about 250 yards over Tremayne Lee. Burns was the first RB I remember watching that was a legit threat to score on any play from any distance.

2) Jacob DuRocher-Rochester. Ended up as either the 3rd or 4th leading all time CS8 rusher even with losing out on up to 8 games his senior year due to the Covid shortened season. Jacob was exceptionally tough and managed to deliver many more hits than he took. Really stepped up his Junior year in 2019 when two Seniors with more experience were hurt most of the season.

3) Tremayne Lee-SHG. 2nd all time CS8 rusher. Unreal speed made him extremely hard to tackle, saw him score 4 or 5 TD’s of 50 yards or more against Rochester in a JV game.

4) Evan Sembell-Rochester. Didn’t get his chance to shine until his senior year in 2014, when Derek used him almost exclusively with 368 carries for over 2,400 yards. Can’t remember him ever fumbling. Also played LB full time.

5) Tie between Chris Ross-Chatham and Narkel Leflore-Lanphier and Chatham. Both are in the top ten all time in rushing. Ross was a major part of Chatham’s 1998 state title team. An undersized but very hard nosed kid. Leflore had speed almost at the Burns/Lee level and was a huge addition for Chatham‘s semi final team in 2019. Think he led the CS8 in rushing in 2017 for a 3-6 Lanphier squad.

Hard to put Kenny Rogers of Jacksonville in the Top 5 only because I never saw him play, but 3,850 yards in three years is very impressive. Also left off the list Colton Glazebrook and Garrett Dooley of Rochester, Sam Sergent and Chris Harris of SHG, and Everett Cleamons of Lanphier and surely forgot some other great backs.

Last edited:
All.... Lists have always been very problematic for me. Five is though a shorter list then the usual 10. Normally 1 or 2 stand out and that is pretty easy. Going to ramble a bit first....

Rogers is out. Not for his athletic prowess. We go back to 1998 . I attend all games. That year the Cyclones went 2-7. Easy to get a seat. (lol) I heard it all that year in the parking lots from the opposing teams fans. Worse for the team watching that little extra shove on the field and the yapping as the Cyclones struggled. Anyway the Cycs are getting pounded in Jacksonville. Rodgers has scored and he taunts not only the Cycs players but their fans as well. I think they pulled him out for one play. That wouldn't of happened if Coach grounds was HC.

Back to the list. I look at more then just leading stats in a particular category after a 1 or 2 is named. Hard to explain. Before your edit the first name that popped up in my mind for your Rockets and you had a ton of good ones was Garret Dooley. Knew his parents, work ethic, and he could do so much on a field.

Eric Peterman for sure. I think the best athlete to come out of the CS8. In 2003 passing for over 1500 yards and rushing for over 1500. I can't imagine what the number would be if they decided to have run most of the time out of his qb position.

Not even close in the top but Lincoln had this kid last name was Moore I believe who rushed for over 1000 yards for the Railsplitters. A kid doing that for Lincoln with their lack of success in football. Outstanding.

So I have three so far. Burns, Peterman, and Dooley. I'm over thinking this. But there are so many. A qb list would be even harder. Ratsy

All.... Lists have always been very problematic for me. Five is though a shorter list then the usual 10. Normally 1 or 2 stand out and that is pretty easy. Going to ramble a bit first....

Rogers is out. Not for his athletic prowess. We go back to 1998 . I attend all games. That year the Cyclones went 2-7. Easy to get a seat. (lol) I heard it all that year in the parking lots from the opposing teams fans. Worse for the team watching that little extra shove on the field and the yapping as the Cyclones struggled. Anyway the Cycs are getting pounded in Jacksonville. Rodgers has scored and he taunts not only the Cycs players but their fans as well. I think they pulled him out for one play. That wouldn't of happened if Coach grounds was HC.

Back to the list. I look at more then just leading stats in a particular category after a 1 or 2 is named. Hard to explain. Before your edit the first name that popped up in my mind for your Rockets and you had a ton of good ones was Garret Dooley. Knew his parents, work ethic, and he could do so much on a field.

Eric Peterman for sure. I think the best athlete to come out of the CS8. In 2003 passing for over 1500 yards and rushing for over 1500. I can't imagine what the number would be if they decided to have run most of the time out of his qb position.

Not even close in the top but Lincoln had this kid last name was Moore I believe who rushed for over 1000 yards for the Railsplitters. A kid doing that for Lincoln with their lack of success in football. Outstanding.

So I have three so far. Burns, Peterman, and Dooley. I'm over thinking this. But there are so many. A qb list would be even harder. Ratsy
Good list. Didn’t mention Peterman because he played QB but there have been several great running QB’s in the conference. If we rated QB’s, I might have to expand the list to a Top 15. Eliminating would be too hard. I’ll think the QB’s over because what else do we have to do until August?

Last edited:
All.... Two qb's in my top 5 from SHG. Gabe Green and Bobby Brenniesen. I've posted this before and believe I'm correct on this fact. Bobby never lost a game in his high school career. Two 9 and 0 seasons at the lower lever and 28-0 with 5A titles in 05 and 06. Ratsy

All.... Back to rb's. Here is a question. Most dominant rb you watched that played your team? That is an easy one for me. Ty Isaac. Ratsy

All.... Back to rb's. Here is a question. Most dominant rb you watched that played your team? That is an easy one for me. Ty Isaac. Ratsy
Rochester could not stop the RB from Bishop Mac in the 2018 playoffs. He carried it over 40 times and just wore out the Defense. Think his last name was King. Runner up would be Tremayne Lee. Rockets never had much luck tackling him, and he was gone for a TD in a flash.

All.... Two qb's in my top 5 from SHG. Gabe Green and Bobby Brenniesen. I've posted this before and believe I'm correct on this fact. Bobby never lost a game in his high school career. Two 9 and 0 seasons at the lower lever and 28-0 with 5A titles in 05 and 06. Ratsy
I might have to do a Top 5 from SHG, Rochester, and the rest of the CS8.

My Top 5 from SHG would be Green, Peterman, Brenniesen, Lott, and Thompson.

Rochester will take me a while. Deep dive into the stats, but Wes Lunt and Nic Baker are two gimmes. Round it out with Clay Bruno, Sean Robinson, and Hank Beatty.

I can do three for sure‘s from the rest of the conference now in Griff Jurgens, Luke Lehnen, and Rashad Rochelle. Also Amir Brummett (Mac) and a tie between Nate Haasis (Southeast) and Caleb Doherty (Eisenhower).

Last edited:
Reactions: CIMRY90
I might have to do a Top 5 from SHG, Rochester, and the rest of the CS8.

My Top 5 from SHG would be Green, Peterman, Brenniesen, Lott, and Thompson.

Rochester will take me a while. Deep dive into stats but Wes Lunt and Nic Baker are two gimmes.

I can do three for sure‘s from the rest of the conference now in Griff Jurgens, Luke Lehnen, and Rashad Rochelle.
All.... Yes Peterman would easily be in that top five. Ratsy

All.... Keeping with the always changing post to post subject change in this thread I just came across this and find it quite interesting. Don't have a 100% confirmation but likely correct. The other non con for SHG starting in 2024 (a two year deal) will be CBC out of St. Louis, Missouri. The Cadets won their second straight state title. 13-1 in 2021 and the same in 2022. Those two non con game losses to East St. Louis. Wonder if the Cadets tailgate. Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... QND who will be coming into the CS8 in 2024 has the waiver for the next two seasons. Normally class 4A when multiplied they look to be class 2A during that period. I did see they have a two year deal starting in 2023 with Decatur St. Teresa as one of their non cons. Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... A video on the 4A championship game I forgot to put on. I have watched it many times over the past couple of weeks. You can notice one of the Celtics (a two way starter) has an interesting tackling technique that involves his fist when RB Jackson is on the ground after his long run. Merry Christmas to one and all! Ratsy

Last edited:
I have not heard anything yet about 2024. Will post if I come across something.
All.... I checked the Ihsa open dates board a few days ago. I know MacArthur and SHG were the first two to be listed searching for games just a week after the announcement on the new two division CS8 starting in 2024. SHG has their non cons filled and I know Mac has one of two.

A few more CS8 schools are now listed on that board. Jacksonville, Eisenhower, and Chatham all looking for week two games. Lanphier searching for a week one. I don't know who these teams have secured. Rochester is up as well looking for both dates. The Rockets might have to travel north or out of state and play someone who has had a history of success or a recent good run over a period of time. As was the case with SHG not many want to go down that road. Ratsy

All.... The non con games in week 1 and 2 for Normal University in 2024. W1 at home against Peoria (Manual) and on the road week 2 at Bloomington. Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT