ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

You must be a heavy drinker.
Wnba is a better basketball product than the mens college game outside the tournament, but that’s just my opinion. If it’s not for you, all good.

Back to Da Bears and talk of trading Fields and drafting Young…

Keep Fields! He’s got a good attitude, see him through whether he makes needed improvements as a passer or not.

Bryce Young has a total of 0 wins against UGA, 0 SEC titles at Bama of all places. Stroud has a total of 0 wins against MI and 0 B1G titles. These guys are both interesting prospects, I’m not completely knocking them, but we have to stick with Fields. There was absolutely no talent for him to work with, give him a better OL and an NFL caliber WR. Mooney, pringle, claypool are practice squad guys.

Last edited:
Wnba is a better basketball product than the mens college game outside the tournament, but that’s just my opinion. If it’s not for you, all good.

Back to Da Bears and talk of trading Fields and drafting Young…

Keep Fields! He’s got a good attitude, see him through whether he makes needed improvements as a passer or not.

Bryce Young has a total of 0 wins against UGA, 0 SEC titles at Bama of all places. Stroud has a total of 0 wins against MI and 0 B1G titles. These guys are both interesting prospects, I’m not completely knocking them, but we have to stick with Fields. There was absolutely no talent for him to work with, give him a better OL and an NFL caliber WR. Mooney, pringle, claypool are practice squad guys.
Or take Bryce Young and hold him hostage, like was done with Elway, Jim Everett and Eli Manning. That's what really hurts about the 32nd overall Bears gave up for Claypool.

I really really like the potential that Fields has shown especially considering the rather extreme talent deficit surrounding him.
With that said, Poles should be exploring and even entertaining trade offers for Fields as well as (obviously) the pick. The pick is the more valuable trade chip due to the fresh contract compared to Fields’ one year remaining.

This is a truly golden opportunity to VASTLY improve the roster.

I really really like the potential that Fields has shown especially considering the rather extreme talent deficit surrounding him.
With that said, Poles should be exploring and even entertaining trade offers for Fields as well as (obviously) the pick. The pick is the more valuable trade chip due to the fresh contract compared to Fields’ one year remaining.

This is a truly golden opportunity to VASTLY improve the roster.
I agree with you. I am 100% sure that Poles is entertaining every option when it comes to Fields and he should. But, I am not sure what the bargaining power is for Fields is, however. We all know he is the most dangerous running QB in the league. But, there aren't a whole bunch of people out there speaking positively about his throwing at this point. They all say, "he is developing." But no one is saying he is getting it done in the pocket or elsewhere when it comes to throwing.

He might not trade Fields because he won't get what he wants in return.

He might not trade Fields because he won't get what he wants in return.
That is perfectly fine. The pick should net more in return. At this point, the most plausible deal would be with the Colts who have the 4th pick and desperately need a quarterback.

Reactions: stl705
Agree Colts are my favorite trade partner as well. If not Colts, then maybe LV Raiders at 7 along with two more 1sts and two 2nd rd picks including 2023.

Colts pick likely guarantees them either Anderson or Carter at DL. If they could get Skoronski at 7 id be fine with that too.

How bout this idea… Lets not swap QBs, let’s swap HCs. Pull a AZ/HOU and fire Eberflus now that we got 1 overall. The guy was hired as a defensive guru and I’m not sure there was a worse defense in the NFL than the Bears. I think Bears are more attractive with 1 overall now than they were a year ago. Go get Payton and trade down from 1 to recoup the pick(s) used to get him and then some.

That would really be something! Highly unlikely. I think the bulk of the issues with the defense were talent related, but Payton would be a huge splash.

This thread is somewhat comical.
So we have Fields as our QB who just has set records for rushing as a QB in the NFL. Yes the NFL! Should I remind all of you he was a passing QB in college. Yes he only ran when he had no one open. OSU didn’t call up running plays for him. You want to trade the best player on the Bears and start over. Who you going to have a QB? WTF is wrong with you guys. We have plenty of draft picks and huge salary cap room. Fields hasn’t done anything to make me or want me to trade him. If we do he will be another team’s franchise QB. I am sorry but I have seen this kid throw the ball and yes he can pass the ball if you get some talent who can get open. The Bears need help in a lot of areas but QB isn’t one of them.

I would never trade Fields. I think he will be a great QB.

The more I think about it I think the Bears will trade Fields before next season because the Bears usually make the wrong moves.

What's going to happen with Rodgers at GB? Could you imagine if Fields ends up in GB next year in some multi team trade???

I would never trade Fields. I think he will be a great QB.

The more I think about it I think the Bears will trade Fields before next season because the Bears usually make the wrong moves.

What's going to happen with Rodgers at GB? Could you imagine if Fields ends up in GB next year in some multi team trade???
Exactly!

You hope Houston falls in love with a QB, and they get worried another teams trades with the Bears and takes him. So Bears trade with Houston. Then, Bears trade with Indy, because they are worried about missing their QB.

Bears stack picks, and still get a great (hopefully) player at 4. Or, they could even trade again.

Reactions: doctor_d
So we have Fields as our QB who just has set records for rushing as a QB in the NFL. Yes the NFL! Should I remind all of you he was a passing QB in college. Yes he only ran when he had no one open. OSU didn’t call up running plays for him. You want to trade the best player on the Bears and start over. Who you going to have a QB? WTF is wrong with you guys. We have plenty of draft picks and huge salary cap room. Fields hasn’t done anything to make me or want me to trade him. If we do he will be another team’s franchise QB. I am sorry but I have seen this kid throw the ball and yes he can pass the ball if you get some talent who can get open. The Bears need help in a lot of areas but QB isn’t one of them.
Name the 3 best running QBs in the NFL the last 20 years then tell me how much time they missed due to injuries from running the ball? Also what 1st round QB pick that has failed in the NFL wasn’t a great passing QB in college? Who cares if he can run he hasn’t proven he can throw the ball and that what matters. Maybe he will be great passer but he hasn’t shown anything in the NFL to point to it.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Name the 3 best running QBs in the NFL the last 20 years then tell me how much time they missed due to injuries from running the ball? Also what 1st round QB pick that has failed in the NFL wasn’t a great passing QB in college? Who cares if he can run he hasn’t proven he can throw the ball and that what matters. Maybe he will be great passer but he hasn’t shown anything in the NFL to point to it.
He certainly can pass the ball he threw for 5100 yards over 2 seasons with the Buckeyes. I agree with him running the ball too much but I blame that on the lack of offensive weapons he has and poor coaching for calling too many run plays. IMO you don’t trade him after two years, If he didn’t improve from one year to the next I might feel differently, but he has and I feel it would be a huge mistake to trade him now.

Reactions: Wassup13

So if Green Bay says they want Fields, what is your price? With your analysis this would be a great opportunity to pass up the Packers.

Rodgers era at GB may be over after not making the playoffs.

So if Green Bay says they want Fields, what is your price? With your analysis this would be a great opportunity to pass up the Packers.

Rodgers era at GB may be over after not making the playoffs.
I read today that the Jets are looking for a veteran proven QB. Hmmmm.

Corey, I don't know who here said the Bears should trade Fields. This thread is quite long. But I do think as GM, Poles is looking at every option. I said that before. I think if someone makes him an offer he can't refuse Fields will be packing his bags. However, I don't think that offer will come.

As far as Fields' passing goes. He was the 6th worst passer in the league as far as accuracy goes. And I don't want to hear anyone say he doesn't have time to throw and his numbers will improve when he does. That is true of every QB in the league. Any QB's numbers improve when he has more time back there.

With that said I am still ok with Fields as QB with the Bears. But 2023 is the make or break year.

He certainly can pass the ball he threw for 5100 yards over 2 seasons with the Buckeyes. I agree with him running the ball too much but I blame that on the lack of offensive weapons he has and poor coaching for calling too many run plays. IMO you don’t trade him after two years, If he didn’t improve from one year to the next I might feel differently, but he has and I feel it would be a huge mistake to trade him now.
I get what you're saying. But 5,100 college passing yards doesn't necessarily translate to success in throwing the ball in the NFL. Fields threw for more yards in college than Tom Brady.

Guys who were wide open in college aren't so wide open in the NFL. Coverage is much better and windows are much tighter. There is less time to throw. Decisions must be made quicker in the NFL.

See those last 4 sentences? That was said by an ex-NFL QB who threw for over 34,000 yards in the league, was named to 4 pro bowls and had a career 97.1 QB rating while throwing more than twice as many TDs as INTs. His word has a lot of weight and these are some of the adjustments Fields has to continue to make. I am sure everyone here knows this.

Reactions: Gene K.
I am curious about the interaction vibe between Fields and his offensive teammates mostly. Is a certain leadership style in evidence or is this a non-factor in his evaluation (or any other QB's)? I wonder who his closest comrades are on the team? The filtered sideline video we see appear to show him in frequent isolation, but some of that surely relates to the QB position. Any evidence of him "rallying the troops" or is that an obsolete concept? If he is just staying true to himself, what is that "self?"

I am curious about the interaction vibe between Fields and his offensive teammates mostly. Is a certain leadership style in evidence or is this a non-factor in his evaluation (or any other QB's)? I wonder who his closest comrades are on the team? The filtered sideline video we see appear to show him in frequent isolation, but some of that surely relates to the QB position. Any evidence of him "rallying the troops" or is that an obsolete concept? If he is just staying true to himself, what is that "self?"
Every team mate that has spoke publicly has raved about the kind of guy he is and type of leader he is.

I am just dumbfounded by Bears fans and those that claim to be. This kid has raw talent - the likes we haven’t seen in Chicago at that position in our life times.

He isn’t a finished product - not even close which is what makes this so cool. He’s going to get better - saw him markedly improve over last year and from week 1 to the end.

He will be here next year and the year after and likely longer. I would warn everyone to get used to him being here.

To those bears fans that wanna talk trade or drafting young or stroud, you’re the reason why the Bears can’t have nice things!

Either get behind this kid or get out of the way.

Every team mate that has spoke publicly has raved about the kind of guy he is and type of leader he is.

I am just dumbfounded by Bears fans and those that claim to be. This kid has raw talent - the likes we haven’t seen in Chicago at that position in our life times.

He isn’t a finished product - not even close which is what makes this so cool. He’s going to get better - saw him markedly improve over last year and from week 1 to the end.

He will be here next year and the year after and likely longer. I would warn everyone to get used to him being here.

To those bears fans that wanna talk trade or drafting young or stroud, you’re the reason why the Bears can’t have nice things!

Either get behind this kid or get out of the way.
Just because people acknowledge that there is a possibility that Poles trades Fields, doesn’t make them lesser fans.

I love the talent that Fields has, and I’ve never been as excited about a Bears QB in my 40ish years of watching them.

I am also understanding that Fields wasn’t Poles’ guy, and that at a minimum we are gonna be hearing about a myriad of potential trade ideas in the next few months, some of which will involve Fields. Until a deal is struck or the #1 pick is made, Poles likely won’t (and shouldn’t) reveal anything publicly about what direction he intends to pursue.

Reactions: stl705
Was just reading that CJ Stroud hasnt declared for the draft. People are saying OSU is putting together a LARGE NIL to keep him in Columbus for another year.

If that happens the Bears #1 pick value increases even more!

Just because people acknowledge that there is a possibility that Poles trades Fields, doesn’t make them lesser fans.

I love the talent that Fields has, and I’ve never been as excited about a Bears QB in my 40ish years of watching them.

I am also understanding that Fields wasn’t Poles’ guy, and that at a minimum we are gonna be hearing about a myriad of potential trade ideas in the next few months, some of which will involve Fields. Until a deal is struck or the #1 pick is made, Poles likely won’t (and shouldn’t) reveal anything publicly about what direction he intends to pursue.
I’m sorry but Fields isn’t going anywhere. If you number the roster from 1-53, he would be at the very bottom next to punter and long snapper in terms of positions of need.

If you’re a Bears fan and enjoyed the 3-14 season, understand, if they draft Young, we will be setting the clock back even further.

Whether he is “Poles Guy” or not, there was plenty this year with a horrible roster that this kid can be the guy.

I appreciate wanting to keep an open mind about all options, but you’re not going to get the kings ransom it should require in a Fields trade.

I know this is new ground for us Bears fans - drafting and developing a QB, but the reward will be there if we keep allowing this kid to grow and grow with talent around him. At least a bit more than what he has to “work” with this year.

The preference of trading Fields isn’t coming from Bears fans that I understand. It’s from people that have no absolute clue what being a Bears fan is about. Justin Fields is a DOG. Point blank. U don’t give up on him. The guy is the only player with an OZ of talent on the team.

I am concerned the Bears FO, who hasn’t been in the building for 30 years as fans have, could trade Fields. As far as Bears fans are concerned, we’re tough nosed, blue collar, lunch pail fans. Justin Fields embodies that from what I can tell. It’s up to Poles and co to bring in some talent. They didn’t do that year 1, now they’ve got no more excuses with the cap space and draft pick.

Reactions: corey90 and Gene K.
Corey, I don't know who here said the Bears should trade Fields. This thread is quite long. But I do think as GM, Poles is looking at every option. I said that before. I think if someone makes him an offer he can't refuse Fields will be packing his bags. However, I don't think that offer will come.

As far as Fields' passing goes. He was the 6th worst passer in the league as far as accuracy goes. And I don't want to hear anyone say he doesn't have time to throw and his numbers will improve when he does. That is true of every QB in the league. Any QB's numbers improve when he has more time back there.

With that said I am still ok with Fields as QB with the Bears. But 2023 is the make or break year.
I agree it’s been my rule. I give the QB 3 years but I need to see improvement each year. I think we will see improvement.

I am a Bama fan and I like Bryce Young but at this stage of the game I wouldn’t trade Fields. Like Newt I think Fields is getting better each year and once he gets more weapons we will see big improvements in his passing game.

Trade Fields if you get a HAUL, otherwise, build around him
I think ultimately they stick with Fields and trade the pick down for more picks. The pick has more inherent trade value. There’s possibility to even trade down twice and still get Skoronski.

Part of the case for keeping Fields would be that a couple of seasons for evaluation have already occurred. If the perceived warts in his passing ability have been fully exposed, maybe the plan for mitigating those could now occur. Starting from ground zero with another QB, then needing to observe those strengths and weaknesses could be a time-consuming reset.

My mistake… 1-2 against UGA with zero national championships at Bama. He could be good in the pros but I don’t think he’s Joe Burrow.
Maybe maybe not but he is good and has the skills. I am impressed with his poise under pressure. He doesn’t rattle easy. He is definitely a leader, but not a vocal leader.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT