ADVERTISEMENT

My Take: West Suburban Showcase @ Naperville North

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Reminder: This story is a work in progress....I should hgave this completed by Friday AM and once this is completed this message will be removed. Please do NOT share on social media. Thanks

So Wednesday we had the first ever West Suburban Showcase which was held in two different locations at separate times and was organized by Naperville North HC Sean Drendel and Glenbard South HC Ryan Crissey. The thought behind this event was to bring several kids together in one spot (Ok two) for college coaches to see and evaluate in person.

The early session began at 6:30AM at Naperville North and featured top prospects from Naperville North. Naperville Central. Neuqua Valley, Waubonsie Valley plus Metea Valley and DeKalb.....or the DVC schools if you will.

The later AM session at Glenbard South featured the Raiders along with Glenbard East, Downers Grove North, Downers Grove South plus Oswego East and Wheaton St Francis and Willowbrook.

The event overall? Overall this was a well run and well organized camp. The same issues I've faced along with The Good Game and Boom for our spring showcase camps (this coming Tuesday FYI) for the past three years the coaches also faced.....such as the camps generally not open to Power 4 schools (cloudy compliance issues for them etc) along with the various portal issues that are still impacting high school recruiting in a big way (meaning? very limited offers available). Also this event was given IHSA approval but as these grow and gain momentum.....potential weather issues and could/would IHSA shut these down for4 various reasons? Regardless give Sean and Ryan a ton of credit for moving this forward in a positive way and fingers crossed this can continue next spring and beyond.

So Who Stood Out?

Naperville North Early AM Session

Naperville North

QB Jacob Bell 2025
- Bell is alredy holding several D1 offers and several MAC schools have stepped up recently. I expect Jacob Bell to be committed sooner rather than later and he offers great physical tools, room for more growth and upside at the next level. Bell also has great leadership traits and just carries himself well at all times.

WR Nick Manzardo 2025- A sure handed receiver who also runs good, disciplined routes and just always seems to make the harder catch look easy.

WR Ian MacConnachie 2025- Ian's got some wheels and legit speed here...and was able to show his ability to use his hands consistently well to catch the football. Has room to grow and add more size/muscle at the next level. I see Ian as a high FCS level recruit.

DB Kaiser Williams 2025- The biggest question facing Kaiser this spring is the same questions college coaches have...what position will he play in college? Williams has a ton of physical tools and upside, crushes the eyeball test and he has the ability to develop into a strong player at the college level. Position? I say football player :)

DL Donovan Howard 2025- Nice interior defensive linemen who has some speed and quickness.

OL Austin Roush 2025 - Another decent sized interior OL who was very active in positional work, moves well and also has good strength and quick hands.

OL Jake Kedziora 2025- Big kid who is listed at 6-foot-6, 325 pounds and was able to fare pretty well in positional work. Will need to cut a bit more weight for the higher college level but he has the length to draw more attention this fall in a very light tackle class.

TE Garrett Kristle 2025- Had some really nice catches in one on ones and showed very good hands. Garrett will be more of a traditional hand in the dirt TE who looks to be a capable blocker and his ball skills are pretty strong.

DT Gabriel Hill 2026- Listed at 6-foot-2, 255 pounds and this was the first time I've seen Gabe since the 2023 season. Hill is now leaner, quicker and his overall strength and power has jut gotten better. His first step, twitch and explosiveness is impressive and his leverage and bend along with his hand usage just remains high level. Gabe is already an in demand Power 4 recruit.

Naperville Central

K Logan Ellison 2025
One of two kickers at this event...and Logan was really strong all day. Showed to have a very strong and accurate leg, was able to also show his ability to place kicks where he wanted them to go basically.

QB Sebi Hayes 2025- Big, strong kid with a very strong arm as well. Sebi has been dealing with various injuries over the past year plus and once he catches a break he looks pretty capable of big things in 2024,. Sebi was also pretty impressive in various drill/testing and is athletic enough to draw looks as say a TE/DE as well?

LB Aaron Nussbaum 2025 Both Aaron and his twin brother Daniel are very solid players who run well, showed good overall instincts in coverage and will be big time play makers again this fall for the RedHawks.

LB Daniel Nussbaum 2025 Like his twin brother Aaron, Daniel also measures in at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds and has a ton of upside and potential.

DE Jake Stanish 2025 Easily one of the better players at this event. Stanish, who earlier in the day worked out for and added an offer from Cincinnati is now holding nearly a dozen offers. Stanish has impressive size, frame and will continue to add more good weight and strength from here on out. Stanish is still improving his overall technique and pass rush tools but this kid will be a potential difference maker in 2024 and beyond.

WR Deshaun Williams 2025- Been a fan of Deshaun when I saw him as a freshman at St Francis. Williams has really good size (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) and strength and can go get the football as well as any receiver in the 2025 class. Williams, who also has great ball skills is in line for a big season and look for more offers to potentially follow this coming summer camp season.

DeKalb

DE Justice O'Neal 2025
- Interesting looking athlete and a name to watch for sure. Listed as 6-foot-4, 190 pounds has some quickness and a frame that will add more strength and bulk down the line.

DL JJ Piniera 2025- Strong interior DL who has a nice combination of a quick first step, strength and good hand usage while also having some pass rush moves.

WR Davon Grant 2026- Maybe the best looking overall prospect I saw on Wednesday. Grant is listed at 6-foot-4, 205 pounds and is already college ready physically. Grant has basketball tools including strong hand/eye coordination along with hops and strong hands. Grant runs well, is a very fluid athlete who can develop into a potential major player down the line. Big time player and athlete here.

WR Derrion Straughter 2026 - Another long, lanky and pretty athletic receiver here listed at 6-foot-2, 180 pounds. I'm not sure just how good or not the Barbs will be in 2024....but I do know they have some serious dudes this spring.

Metea Valley

OL Okiki Oyekanmi 2025
- Big guy is listed at 6-foot-5, 280 pounds and a kid who I feel still has room to grow, get stronger along with just polish up his overall technique. Moves well, showed good footwork and was overall pretty athletic for a big guy in drill/positional work. A name again to watch here for the growing 2026 class.

Neuqua Valley

OL/DL Ryan Mascari 2025
- I've been watching Ryan since his sophomore year when he played tight end on the varsity for the Wildcats. I always felt that Mascari had the frame, length and overall down the line potential to develop into a very solid OL and that seems to be his path this summer. Mascari is now up to 6-foot-4, 240 pounds and I feel could wind up at say 270 plus pounds and become a very strong high FCS offensive guard. Ability wise I can see Mascari having a higher ceiling, but in this day and age of portal,,,a higher level FCS would be more willing to develop a kid with this upside.

DB Andrew Hoffman 2026- Another name to watch in the 2026 class here. Andrew had a very good 2023 season and I can see him once again being an impact player on both sides of the football. Has good length and quickness, will get bigger and stronger down the line as well.

OL Max Schueneman 2027- Very hard to believe this 6-foot-4, 305 pounds OL is just a freshman....but he is. Max had a pretty impressive showing here and was able to show his already developed skill set while also having the look of a kid who will continue to get bigger, stronger and better. I was impressed with his feet, balance and bend while also having a bit of an idea of what to do with his hands. Seems like a pretty smart and mature kid for his age and a name who has some serious upside.

Waubonsie Valley

QB Colin Ford 2026
- Overall I thought Colin Ford has been pretty good the few times I've seen him live. Ford is a bit bigger than I remember (6-foot-4, 205 pounds) and he throws a pretty solid football. Ford also looked to have decent touch on his short/medium passes.

OL/DL Stephan Popov 2025_ I've seen Stephan a few different times now in person and this spring he's a bit bigger and stronger (6-foot-3, 270 pounds) than last season. Popov has nice feet and decent quickness and also is advanced in his hand usage and hand fighting. Plays with a bit of a nasty when needed which I always love to see.

Part 2 will have breakdown from Glenbard South session

• Love
Reactions: jon cowett
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News