ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Here's the thing about a guy like Bagent. The starter (dude making more $) is going to get a lot of rope. A lot. If he gets hurt the second guy gets a shot. If the second guy is like Bagent, who the Bears have very little $$ invested in, then he must hit the ground running right away and has to have some real "wow" plays to be considered for the top job. And when I say wow I mean "WOW!" Bagent didn't do that or come close to it.

Even if Bagent played as well as Fields to that point, Fields would still keep his job because of the $$ invested in him. Bagent would have to be better to take over. A lot better. So much better that it shows right away. None of that happened. So, he is the backup and will remain a backup. Probably wherever he ends up. Don't forget. The Bears weren't the only ones watching him. There are scouts from other teams attending the games too. I seriously doubt any of them looked at Bagent and thought he could be a starter in the league.
I agree with all of this. Only way Purdy/Brady/Kurt Warner was because of injuries to the starter.

But why can he only be a backup at best and not lead any team anywhere? I just don’t get how anyone can say that.

I agree with all of this. Only way Purdy/Brady/Kurt Warner was because of injuries to the starter.

But why can he only be a backup at best and not lead any team anywhere? I just don’t get how anyone can say that.
What did Bagent do that stood out or made you think that he could be a consistently successful in the NFL?

What did he do that makes you think he can’t be a starter?
Throw down field. Games against Vegas and Carolina he had 20 completions but only 162 yard in both games and averaged 171 yards a game. Read a defense. He had had 6 INTs to 3 TDs.

Your turn; what has he done that shows you he can be a consistently successful starting QB in the NFL?

Reactions: RockSoup
Throw down field. Games against Vegas and Carolina he had 20 completions but only 162 yard in both games and averaged 171 yards a game. Read a defense. He had had 6 INTs to 3 TDs.

Your turn; what has he done that shows you he can be a consistently successful starting QB in the NFL?
I think that’s the bears game planning. I think his arm is just fine. Time and time again Getsy’s gameplan is short quick throws.

Threw a nice seem ball his first game vs Minnesota down field. First play of the chargers game was a go ball completion.

I like his poise, confidence, calmness, mechanics, feel for the position, footwork. I think he has the “it” factor. He has a personality this city this city would really rally behind.

There’s a lot to like. I’m not saying he’s going to make it but to right him off simply bc he’s from D2 is not a good reason.

• Haha
Reactions: corey90 and 4Afan
Joe Flacco threw for over 300 yards and multiple TDs last night for the forth game in a row since the Browns picked him up off his couch. Another "crap" veteran that would be beneficial.
Don’t make me type all the veterans the Bears brought in the past 30 years. The number is staggering! Yes a good veteran can carry a team for a year or so but certainly not long term.

Don’t make me type all the veterans the Bears brought in the past 30 years. The number is staggering! Yes a good veteran can carry a team for a year or so but certainly not long term.
That’s the thing you must be missing, corey. These guys aren’t talking long term. They’re talking about a bridge until the QB they draft in 2024 is ready to take over.

Reactions: 4Afan
Cousins, Tannehill, and Browning are the three best FA QBs next off-season

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: corey90
I think that’s the bears game planning. I think his arm is just fine. Time and time again Getsy’s gameplan is short quick throws.

Threw a nice seem ball his first game vs Minnesota down field. First play of the chargers game was a go ball completion.

I like his poise, confidence, calmness, mechanics, feel for the position, footwork. I think he has the “it” factor. He has a personality this city this city would really rally behind.

There’s a lot to like. I’m not saying he’s going to make it but to right him off simply bc he’s from D2 is not a good reason.
His arm is not fine.

That’s the thing you must be missing, corey. These guys aren’t talking long term. They’re talking about a bridge until the QB they draft in 2024 is ready to take over.
I am good with whatever plan they have if the draft a QB. I am not good with just signing a veteran and hoping he can be a miracle worker. The Bears are known to sign a vet and hope it satisfies the hunger fans. It’s a quick fix that hasn’t and won’t work.
I am fine if you have the best defense in the league and an offense in on the rise. Add a QB like Brady to win a quick SB. This isn’t where we are at not by a long shot.

I am good with whatever plan they have if the draft a QB. I am not good with just signing a veteran and hoping he can be a miracle worker. The Bears are known to sign a vet and hope it satisfies the hunger fans. It’s a quick fix that hasn’t and won’t work.
I am fine if you have the best defense in the league and an offense in on the rise. Add a QB like Brady to win a quick SB. This isn’t where we are at not by a long shot.
Where did anyone say that? Anyone who said anything about bringing a veteran is was based on also drafting a QB. The veteran would play until the drafted QB is ready, and that could be up to a year.

Where did anyone say that? Anyone who said anything about bringing a veteran is was based on also drafting a QB. The veteran would play until the drafted QB is ready, and that could be up to a year.
All I am saying is the Vet can’t be the answer and won’t be the answer. We have live that plan over and over. Draft a good rookie and I don’t care who the vet is because it’s not going to be pretty. Hopefully the rook is a quick study.

There's been multiple reasons listed as to why and you're only response was "it factor" and other buzz words that mean nothing.
Your rational is he’s from D2. 🤡

Combine QB Velocity
FWIW, I don’t buy into any notion that he has a weak arm. His arm strength was 3rd best at the combine last year and same as what Mahomes was at the combine.

Last edited:

Combine QB Velocity
FWIW, I don’t buy into any notion that he has a weak arm. His arm strength was 3rd best at the combine last year and same as what Mahomes was at the combine.
Go back and read again, I said he couldn't throw the deep ball, thst can mean an accuracy issue not necessarily arm strength. I also said he has issues reading defenses leading to his INTs. You still have provided nothing.

Combine QB Velocity
It was obvious in nfl game action he can’t make all the NFL throws.

I can’t even with this Bagent as a starter stuff, it’s like people don’t watch the games and know what they are watching.

Kids gotta future as a career backup that will make a lot of money for himself…great story rooting for the kid.

It was obvious in nfl game action he can’t make all the NFL throws.

I can’t even with this Bagent as a starter stuff, it’s like people don’t watch the games and know what they are watching.

Kids gotta future as a career backup that will make a lot of money for himself…great story rooting for the kid.
What am I missing? What’s a play he made this year that showed he can’t make all the throws?

What am I missing? What’s a play he made this year that showed he can’t make all the throws?
If you can’t see it not sure what to tell you…
See his 1st pick v Vikings.
But if you think he can make all the throws nothing I post will change your mind.
I went back at looked at some more and he can’t read a D either.
I can’t believe this is still a conversation.

Reactions: colin2229 and 4Afan
What throws has he made that shows he can make all the throws? You like him and say he has "it" but you've provided zero examples, while others have provided multiple examples as to why he's not a starting QB. You can't just say something for the sake of saying it without annything to back it up.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
Eberflus doesn’t sound like a guy worried about his job with the media this week, joking around. Maybe it’s nervousness or maybe he knows he’s safe. Or maybe I’m reading to much into it.

Eberflus doesn’t sound like a guy worried about his job with the media this week, joking around. Maybe it’s nervousness or maybe he knows he’s safe. Or maybe I’m reading to much into it.
Only justification they can have for keeping him is the defensive improvement. The only way I'm ok with that is if they bring in a top notch OC and DC. For that to happen I don't think you can give Eberflus full hiring authority. He had two coaches dismissed this year for HR issues so his judgment is lacking.

Only justification they can have for keeping him is the defensive improvement. The only way I'm ok with that is if they bring in a top notch OC and DC. For that to happen I don't think you can give Eberflus full hiring authority. He had two coaches dismissed this year for HR issues so his judgment is lacking.
What top notch OC wants to come knowing it’s all on him or they are all fired? We have seen this game before. That’s the issue this day in age with a D HC. If you find a great OC he’s gone in 2 years.

His two coaches issues could certainly be justified for his removal. But I get it would have been hard in season with one top coordinator gone….but they can’t forget about that whole ordeal.

I assume they know what they are going to do regarding coaches and JF…

What top notch OC wants to come knowing it’s all on him or they are all fired? We have seen this game before. That’s the issue this day in age with a D HC. If you find a great OC he’s gone in 2 years.

His two coaches issues could certainly be justified for his removal. But I get it would have been hard in season with one top coordinator gone….but they can’t forget about that whole ordeal.

Agree to a point, but honestly, right now, Chicago is a good destination for a coach. They're up and coming with draft capital and plenty of free agent money. If a top notch OC comes in and makes a difference, then yes, he'll go somewhere as a HC but if that's the case then that means he improved the offense.

Frank Reich

• Haha
Reactions: PowerI66
Frank Reich would be a perfect OC if he’d do it.

Tyson Bagent is a perfect NFL back up in the mold of Gardner Minshew (keeps team’s chances and energy levels up while starter heals and gives team a chance each week)

Ok. Back to my holidays

All I’m saying on Baegent is…

There’s a lot to like and at this point I’m not going to say his ceiling is a backup. Especially with what Purdy is doing. He got a flyer from the bears and beat out a lot of QB’s to become the #2.

Should he be the bears starter right now? No. But I look forward to watching his future with the Bears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT