ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Seems to be working for Love in GB and people forget that Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith his first year. I'd rather have them sit a year or two and learn the system and speed of the NFL versus being thrown into the fire day 1 when they're not ready.
I agree with part of this. Yes I do remember Mahomes sitting behind Smith. Smith was a good NFL QB and for Mahomes it has certainly worked out. It would be interesting to note what Smith was being paid at the time too. You don't pay a QB a lot of money then sit him in favor of a rookie with no experience.

What I don't agree with is sitting a guy for two years. That's too long. I tend to think one full year is too long unless the starter has the team in or playing for a playoff berth.

John Elway and Fran Tarkenton both said they didn't believe in sitting a first round rookie QB. Tarkenton said "a guy isn't going to learn much by sitting on the sideline." I guess they could say that. Things worked out pretty well for each of them.

Also a 9 time pro bowler out of 12 years in the league.

Yep and Marino and Kelly were in Miami and Buffalo a long time and never won anything. What are your thoughts on them?

His numbers this year are almost identical to Mahomes, so not sure how that equates to being done.
Dan Marino played in a Super Bowl and Jim Kelly went to four in a row. Both are in the HOF. Dan Fouts never even played in a SB, but he's also in the HOF. You could say this about Tarkenton too. But you point is good.

He failed in Seattle and he is failing in Denver. Wasn’t he just benched? That’s a fail.
I have to disagree with you Corey. Russell Wilson isn't the problem in Denver. Their defense is. Only Washington and Arizona have given up more points. Have you looked at their records lately? The Broncos have given up more points than the Bears but have a better record.

Sean Payton said " the entire offensive operation, me included, has been deficient and this move isn't meant as an indictment of Wilson alone."

Although he will turn 36 next November, I think Wilson has some gas in the tank for sure. The whole question is, how much will the Bears need to spend? If they can get him cheap, then trade Fields to Atlanta for a pick or two and draft a QB. Because if the Bears do dump Fields (which I think they should) they will have to sign a QB with NFL experience who can start for a year.

Reactions: 4Afan
I have to disagree with you Corey. Russell Wilson isn't the problem in Denver. Their defense is. Only Washington and Arizona have given up more points. Have you looked at their records lately? The Broncos have given up more points than the Bears but have a better record.

Sean Payton said " the entire offensive operation, me included, has been deficient and this move isn't meant as an indictment of Wilson alone."

Although he will turn 36 next November, I think Wilson has some gas in the tank for sure. The whole question is, how much will the Bears need to spend? If they can get him cheap, then trade Fields to Atlanta for a pick or two and draft a QB. Because if the Bears do dump Fields (which I think they should) they will have to sign a QB with NFL experience who can start for a year.
We agree to disagree. I don’t want the Bears going in that direction. Wilson is to old. I would rather grow our own QB. If Fields isn’t the guy we will need to draft another. I am done with the Bears signing QBs who are done. We have been through about 50 of these types over the 20-30 years.

We agree to disagree. I don’t want the Bears going in that direction. Wilson is to old. I would rather grow our own QB. If Fields isn’t the guy we will need to draft another. I am done with the Bears signing QBs who are done. We have been through about 50 of these types over the 20-30 years.
If they choose to move on from Fields you can do both. Have a veteran start the year and the draft pick starts when he's ready. Not every QB drafted is NFL ready from day one. It kills their confidence if they're not ready and they don't succeed right away, everyone is different. They can't just draft a rookie with no safety net should that guy not be THE guy.

Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith, Love sat behind Rodgers, Rodgers sat behind Favre, Brady sat behind Drew Bledsoe.

To just assume a high draft pick is going to be successful from day 1 with no backup plan is irresponsible.

You want the Bears QB to be "home grown", well I hate to break it to you but that hasn't worked for the Bears...ever. Bears home grown QBs drafted in the 1st round consists of Cade McNown, Rex Grossman, Mitch Trubisky, Jim Harbaugh, Jim McMahon, and depending on how you feel towards him, Fields. Of that list Harbaugh had the best numbers with the Bears. That's not good when Jim Harbaugh is the best QB your team has drafted in the Super Bowl era.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
If they choose to move on from Fields you can do both. Have a veteran start the year and the draft pick starts when he's ready. Not every QB drafted is NFL ready from day one. It kills their confidence if they're not ready and they don't succeed right away, everyone is different. They can't just draft a rookie with no safety net should that guy not be THE guy.

Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith, Love sat behind Rodgers, Rodgers sat behind Favre, Brady sat behind Drew Bledsoe.

To just assume a high draft pick is going to be successful from day 1 with no backup plan is irresponsible.

You want the Bears QB to be "home grown", well I hate to break it to you but that hasn't worked for the Bears...ever. Bears home grown QBs drafted in the 1st round consists of Cade McNown, Rex Grossman, Mitch Trubisky, Jim Harbaugh, Jim McMahon, and depending on how you feel towards him, Fields. Of that list Harbaugh had the best numbers with the Bears. That's not good when Jim Harbaugh is the best QB your team has drafted in the Super Bowl era.
I can live with a veteran as long as they draft a QB. Yes you’re right about the Bears drafting a QB but look at the list of Veterans they signed. It’s a scary list. Lol
I would rather get a draft pick than sign someone else’s has been crap QB. I mean its the best of two evils! Lol

Last edited:
I can live with a veteran as long as they draft a QB. Yes you’re right about the Bears drafting a QB but look at the list of Veterans they signed. It’s a scary list. Lol
I would rather get a draft pick than sign someone else’s has been crap QB. I mean it the best of two evils! Lol
Drafted or FA it hasn't mattered, the whole list is scary!!!!!!!

Reactions: colin2229 and 4Afan
I would rather get a draft pick than sign someone else’s has been crap QB. I mean its the best of two evils! Lol
Cutler, Jim Miller, and Erik Kramer all had success with the Bears as veteran signees.

Again, Russ has the same numbers as Mahomes this year, I'll take that "crap" for a year or so.

Ok draft a QB and what if he's not ready week 1 or he really starts to struggle in week 4? Then what? With another successful offseason the Bears are a playoff team next year. Are you willing to put that on a rookie QB with no safety net?

I'm going to put everyone on the spot with this question.

If the Packers offered the Bears Love for Fields straight up would you do it? If you don't do it you have to keep Fields for the next four years.

If yes remember the Bears likely would face the Packers and Fields the next 4 to 5 years.

It's a yes or no answer. Do you do it?

If the Packers offered the Bears Love for Fields straight up would you do it? If you don't do it you have to keep Fields for the next four years.

If yes remember the Bears likely would face the Packers and Fields the next 4 to 5 years.

Why do you have to keep Fields for 4 years?
Why not 2 more, which means they picked up 5th year option.

Maybe you should ask Packer fans this question. Lol
Jordan Love should be more than ready to play since he was sitting and waiting all those years when Rogers was there. Yet he hasn’t looked very good. Certainly doesn’t wow anyone. I would keep Fields but not sign him for 4 years. He hasn’t earned it. I would keep Fields and draft a QB. Let them fight it out to see who will be the starter.

We’ve just done this twice. Didn’t work out.

Mitch sat behind Mike Glennon
Fields sat behind Andy Dalton

Draft the right guy and let him play. Yes, there will be bumps along the way. That’s called learning and over coming adversity. If that hurts their feelings and confidence…they’ll never make it.

There is no perfect science to this and just opinions and theories.

Reactions: stl705

Wow! I read Corey's post and was going to respond to it. Then I scrolled down and saw yours. So well thought out and written. You hit all the points I was thinking about as I was reading Corey's post. There really isn't much to add to this. Very, very well done!!

Draft the right guy and let him play. Yes, there will be bumps along the way. That’s called learning and over coming adversity. If that hurts their feelings and confidence…they’ll never make it.

With all due respect, Colin. Andy Dalton wasn't Russell Wilson and Mike Glennon was worse than Trubisky. This isn't the same comparison.

Yeah you're comaring apples to grapes here. Trubisky sat for 4 games and Fields for 6. They were thrown in because the guys in front of them were awful.

You can draft the perfect guy, doesn’t mean he'll be ready for the NFL on day 1. Why does it have to be trial by fire and overcoming adversity when it doesn't have to be?

It has nothing to do with hurt feelings. Football, especially at the QB position, is just as much mental as it is physical. Plus people forget you're dealing with 22 year old kids. Giving him the keys and saying here you go, don't f*ck it up isn't a good solution.

The Bears have had zero sustained success at the QB position for pretty much ever, but when have they ever had the opportunity to draft a top QB and pick up a solid veteran who they could win with so they didn't have to put it all on the new guy right out of the gate?

Bears are almost 100% not picking up Russ, I just threw it out there when the news broke as something to discuss but the more people here hate the idea the more I like it. Draft Harrison at #1 and depending on where their 2nd pick is they can stay put or trade back and get a guy like JJ or Penix, let him develop at a good pace, but not be rushed and he can start when he's ready.

With another successful off-season this is a playoff team next year and I don't get why people want to get rid of Fields and put it on a rookie. Say they draft Williams or Maye and they struggle out of the gate, are you confident Bagent can lead them to the playoffs?

With all due respect, Colin. Andy Dalton wasn't Russell Wilson and Mike Glennon was worse than Trubisky. This isn't the same comparison.

The point is its not the veteran QB’s job to coach/mentor the rookie, that’s the job of the staff.

See 49ers, Dolphins, Texans, Chargers, Bills

Reactions: RockSoup
Yeah you're comaring apples to grapes here. Trubisky sat for 4 games and Fields for 6. They were thrown in because the guys in front of them were awful.

You can draft the perfect guy, doesn’t mean he'll be ready for the NFL on day 1. Why does it have to be trial by fire and overcoming adversity when it doesn't have to be?

It has nothing to do with hurt feelings. Football, especially at the QB position, is just as much mental as it is physical. Plus people forget you're dealing with 22 year old kids. Giving him the keys and saying here you go, don't f*ck it up isn't a good solution.

The Bears have had zero sustained success at the QB position for pretty much ever, but when have they ever had the opportunity to draft a top QB and pick up a solid veteran who they could win with so they didn't have to put it all on the new guy right out of the gate?

Bears are almost 100% not picking up Russ, I just threw it out there when the news broke as something to discuss but the more people here hate the idea the more I like it. Draft Harrison at #1 and depending on where their 2nd pick is they can stay put or trade back and get a guy like JJ or Penix, let him develop at a good pace, but not be rushed and he can start when he's ready.

With another successful off-season this is a playoff team next year and I don't get why people want to get rid of Fields and put it on a rookie. Say they draft Williams or Maye and they struggle out of the gate, are you confident Bagent can lead them to the playoffs?
BC you can’t win a SB with Fields.

I really like Bagent

The point is its not the veteran QB’s job to coach/mentor the rookie, that’s the job of the staff.

See 49ers, Dolphins, Texans, Chargers, Bills
Chargers just fired their coach and the other 4 are offensive minded coaches with a history of developing QBs, again you'recomparing apples to cantaloupe. Coaches have a job to do, but if they can have a veteran presence to help out, how is that a bad thing?

BC you can’t win a SB with Fields.

I really like Bagent
I like Bagent too and he proved this year he has a place in this league as a backup, but if you think he can lead a team to the playoffs or that he's better than Fields then I don't know what to tell you.

I like Bagent too and he proved this year he has a place in this league as a backup, but if you think he can lead a team to the playoffs or that he's better than Fields then I don't know what to tell you.
Only time will tell…

Why can’t he be better than Fields?

Chargers just fired their coach and the other 4 are offensive minded coaches with a history of developing QBs, again you'recomparing apples to cantaloupe. Coaches have a job to do, but if they can have a veteran presence to help out, how is that a bad thing?
It’s not a bad thing.

Chargers did a good job of developing the Qb before getting fired

Only time will tell…

In theory, he could, but in the 4.5 games he played I didn't see it. It would be a great story but there's just too much of a learning curve between D2 and the NFL for him to have sustained success.

Joe Flacco threw for over 300 yards and multiple TDs last night for the forth game in a row since the Browns picked him up off his couch. Another "crap" veteran that would be beneficial.

In theory, he could, but in the 4.5 games he played I didn't see it. It would be a great story but there's just too much of a learning curve between D2 and the NFL for him to have sustained success.
Too much of a learning curve? That narrative is so tired.

He went from D2 to the NFL and went 2-2 in four starts so far.

Fields comes for a top 5 program and in his first start he gets sacked nine times and goes 6-20 for 68 yards. The Bears finished with 47 yards of offense and lost 26–6 to the Browns.

But Fields comes D1 so he can have better long term success?

Either you can play or you can’t.

Would Bagent be further along than Fields right now if he started the same amount of games?

Only time will tell…

Here's the thing about a guy like Bagent. The starter (dude making more $) is going to get a lot of rope. A lot. If he gets hurt the second guy gets a shot. If the second guy is like Bagent, who the Bears have very little $$ invested in, then he must hit the ground running right away and has to have some real "wow" plays to be considered for the top job. And when I say wow I mean "WOW!" Bagent didn't do that or come close to it.

Even if Bagent played as well as Fields to that point, Fields would still keep his job because of the $$ invested in him. Bagent would have to be better to take over. A lot better. So much better that it shows right away. None of that happened. So, he is the backup and will remain a backup. Probably wherever he ends up. Don't forget. The Bears weren't the only ones watching him. There are scouts from other teams attending the games too. I seriously doubt any of them looked at Bagent and thought he could be a starter in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT