ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

I don’t think Russ Wilson is interested in mentoring anybody, and I also don’t think either Maye or Williams is sitting in favor of Russ at this point.

I’m fine with keeping Fields, and if so, I’d like to try and pursue trading 1 overall for another major haul. Harrison is great, but give me Nabors + future 1st + multiple 2nds if not more if that’s on the table.

It’s always a huge risk.

He’s 23-1 as a starter for the #1 team in the country playing in an NFL ready system.

His HC has missed 6 games this year and all of those games they haven’t thrown the ball a whole lot. The guy that calls the plays when he’s gone is the OL coach…he’s gonna call what he’s comfortable with.

I don’t put any stock in his stats.

He has great feet and throwing mechanics.
Great arm and athlete.
Chicago would love him.

Not saying he’s the guy but I hope he is.
It's always a risk, but missing on a QB in the top 10 is what gets GMs fired.

They're 23-1 behind the running game and the top defense in the country.

Stats are part of it but I've watched plenty of Michigan games and he's done what is needed, but never really wowwed anyone.

Regarding Jones - I never said I didn’t like him because of his school, I could care less about that. I just don’t know if he’s the answer.

If Jones is a foundation piece, then great for the Bears, but I think Fashanu is an All-Pro LT. Jones, Davis, and Jenkens have all missed time this year.

Also regarding trading back for a Center… uh no, I want to trade back for a major haul and one of those picks being interior OL to solve our C issue.

I don’t think Russ Wilson is interested in mentoring anybody, and I also don’t think either Maye or Williams is sitting in favor of Russ at this point.

I’m fine with keeping Fields, and if so, I’d like to try and pursue trading 1 overall for another major haul. Harrison is great, but give me Nabors + future 1st + multiple 2nds if not more if that’s on the table.
Russ is 35 and knows his years in the league are short. If he can get two more quality years and help out a young QB I don't see him walking away from that. I don't want either Maye or Williams so that's fine with me if they don't want to sit.

Depending on who you trade with who says Nabors is available? They're at a point where they should be a playoff contender next year, so don't play around with trading the top pick unless a team gives you absolutely everything you ask for. You go get the best player in the draft, regardless of who is throwing to him next year.

He's not gonna be what he used to be but he didn't so much fail this year as much as him and Payton have different philosophies. He still had over 3,000 yards passing and 26 TDs to 7 INTs. He'd be a great mentor to whoever they would draft and he could still be successful for a year or two with the Bears improving defense and throwing to Moore, Kmet, and Harrison in this scenario. He would be great to help develop the young WR as well. If there's a chance to get a Super Bowl winning QB who is likey headed for the HOF to mentor a young QB I'm all for it.
I would not take a chance on a QB who failed with his current team then fail at his second team in the NFL. He was done when he left Seattle. He’s not Brady who left to go to a team that just needed a QB who could carry a team to the SB.

Regarding Jones - I never said I didn’t like him because of his school, I could care less about that. I just don’t know if he’s the answer.

If Jones is a foundation piece, then great for the Bears, but I think Fashanu is an All-Pro LT. Jones, Davis, and Jenkens have all missed time this year.

Also regarding trading back for a Center… uh no, I want to trade back for a major haul and one of those picks being interior OL to solve our C issue.
Right, those guys have missed time which is why I said draft OL depth.

Who are you trading back with for this major haul? Last year Carolina had the #9 pick, so it would have to be a team in need of a QB dafting at 9 or later. Right now those teams would be Atlanta at 10, Vegas at 13, Denver at 14, and maybe Pittsburgh at 17 if they've given up on Pickett. Even if Bears don't sign Russ, which they likely won't, he will go somewhere so that's one less team in need of a QB.

I would not take a chance on a QB who failed with his current team then fail at his second team in the NFL. He was done when he left Seattle. He’s not Brady who left to go to a team that just needed a QB who could carry a team to the SB.
Failed with his 1st team???? What?
I’m not pro him to Bears but to say he failed in Seattle is mind boggling to me.
Did Rodger’s”fail” in GB?

Reactions: 4Afan
He's only ever played for Seattle and Denver. He's had a solid year this year, he's 8th in TDs. Who says he fails with the Bears with what they'd be asking of him?

It's a very slim chance it happens but it's not a terrible idea.

He's only ever played for Seattle and Denver. He's had a solid year this year, he's 8th in TDs. Who says he fails with the Bears with what they'd be asking of him?

A questionable goal line call and he might have 2 rings…

He failed in Seattle and he is failing in Denver. Wasn’t he just benched? That’s a fail.

He failed in Seattle and he is failing in Denver. Wasn’t he just benched? That’s a fail.
Holy Cow! He won a SB, should have 2 in Seattle and is a likely a HOFer. Give me that failure 8 days a week.

I don't follow Denver, but I think the benching is because him and Payton hate each other.

Reactions: colin2229
You will never be happy with any QB other than Brady if you think he failed….wow. Might be a top take I disagree with all time on here.
You need to wake up. Russel Wilson is done. I will be happy with a QB that wins. You’re blind if you think he has it in him to carry a team. We have one thing we can agree on. Cubs! 😂

Reactions: stl705
Are we playing Horse shoes or football? He was in Seattle a long time and has only 1 SB. Listen I like Russell, believe me he is done. It’s over!
Also a 9 time pro bowler out of 12 years in the league.

Yep and Marino and Kelly were in Miami and Buffalo a long time and never won anything. What are your thoughts on them?

His numbers this year are almost identical to Mahomes, so not sure how that equates to being done.

You need to wake up. Russel Wilson is done. I will be happy with a QB that wins. You’re blind if you think he has it in him to carry a team. We have one thing we can agree on. Cubs! 😂
My beef is you saying he failed in Seattle, one of 21 QBs to appear in 2 SBs and won one.

I don’t want the bears to sign him if available but he didn’t fail in Seattle…he excelled.

Reactions: colin2229 and 4Afan
My beef is you saying he failed in Seattle, one of 21 QBs to appear in 2 SBs and won one.

I don’t want the bears to sign him if available but he didn’t fail in Seattle…he excelled.
He was the right fit in Seattle. I say a Pete!
He doesn’t fit in Denver and he won’t fit in Chicago. Okay maybe he didn’t fail in Seattle, certainly didn’t play well enough at the end to stay. Just saying he isn’t the answer short or long term for the Bears. IMO

Right, those guys have missed time which is why I said draft OL depth.

Who are you trading back with for this major haul? Last year Carolina had the #9 pick, so it would have to be a team in need of a QB dafting at 9 or later. Right now those teams would be Atlanta at 10, Vegas at 13, Denver at 14, and maybe Pittsburgh at 17 if they've given up on Pickett. Even if Bears don't sign Russ, which they likely won't, he will go somewhere so that's one less team in need of a QB.
Pittsburgh too far back. Even Denver and Vegas may be too far back for what I’d be interested in trading, unless they pony up 3 1st rd picks plus 3 2nd rd picks.

Washington at 3, New England at 4, Tennessee at 7, and Atlanta at 10 are the targets imo. Saints at 11 could also be in mix.

For 1 overall last year we got:

9 overall
Future 1
2x 2nd rd picks
Playmaker in prime under contract (Moore)

That’s the going rate if we deal 1 overall for 9 overall this year hypothetically. If we deal with New England at 4 overall, I’d expect a lower package back. ATL moving up to 1 should net us even more. With Williams available, I expect these prices to hold firm.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh too far back. Even Denver and Vegas may be too far back for what I’d be interested in trading, unless they pony up 3 1st rd picks plus 3 2nd rd picks.

Washington at 3, New England at 4, Tennessee at 7, and Atlanta at 10 are the targets imo.
Agree on all, but other than Atlanta, you're not getting a "haul". You're not getting that much from either Washington or New England just to move up 2 or 3 spots because if the Bears are trading the top pick then those teams know they're not drafting a QB and neither is Arizona so they can either stay put or give up less and trade with Arizona and still get the guy they want. Tennessee just drafted Will Levis last year, they're not trading up to take another QB.

Agree on all, but other than Atlanta, you're not getting a "haul". You're not getting that much from either Washington or New England just to move up 2 or 3 spots because if the Bears are trading the top pick then those teams know they're not drafting a QB and neither is Arizona so they can either stay put or give up less and trade with Arizona and still get the guy they want. Tennessee just drafted Will Levis last year, they're not trading up to take another QB.
That’s true if said team knows there are no other trade partners…. Who knows, teams can get desperate.

Any trade back will net us a 2024 1st rd pick + 2023 2nd rd pick in my opinion with Williams and Maye on board.

Any trade back will net us a 2024 1st rd pick + 2023 2nd rd pick in my opinion with Williams and Maye on board.
It absolutely will not get them a 2025 first round pick. No one is giving up a 2025 first and 2024 2nd to only move up 2 or 3 spots. They would likely get a 2024 2nd and 3rd or 4th.

Be realistic and play this out. If Bears are moving off the #1 spot then Washington or NE know for a fact they're not taking a QB and they know for a fact Arizona isn't taking a QB so by default Washington would take the first QB and get which ever guy they want. If NE gets wind that Washington is gonna take who they want their first call is to Arizona to jump over Washington. If someone is dead set on Williams or Maye it's gonna come from deep and would get the Bears another haul, but a big deal isn't coming from Washington or NE to move up just a few spots.

It cost the Bears a 2nd and 3rd rd pick to move up from 3 to 2 for Trubisky. The price goes up to move up from 3 or 4 to 1. The panthers dealt a major pack for 9 to 1.

It cost the Bears a 2nd and 3rd rd pick to move up from 3 to 2 for Trubisky. The price goes up to move up from 3 or 4 to 1. The panthers dealt a major pack for 9 to 1.
Or the Bears over paid to move up one spot. Plus there's no set trade value for trading up "x" amount of spots and it varies year to year based on who's drafting where and the players being drafted. It's all about teams needs. If Bears are sticking with Fields and Arizona just paid Murray, why would either Washington or NE give up more than they have to? If Bears commit to Fields they don't have the leverage in any trade unless it comes from a team drafting after Washington or NE.

People need to stop over thinking this and thinking that just because things worked out last year that they need to trade back every year. The Bears have the #1 pick and, to me, there is a clear cut #1 player in Harrison. You take Harrison and then evaluate what to do with their other pick.

Supply and demand. Williams has the hype teams will move up for. There’s a reason it’s been 25 years since a WR was drafted 1 overall.

Regarding Arizona at 2, they’ll might trade the pick too.

If we don’t get a major haul, I’m ok with Harrison at 1, but I just feel like the offers will be onnthe table for Poles.

Last edited:
Supply and demand. Williams has the hype teams will move up for. There’s a reason the last time a WR was drafted 1 overall happened 25 years ago.
Have no clue why there is so much hype. Watching USC game now and they just said USC was 0-4 against ranked teams this year. Where's the demand for him outside of Washington and NE that's willing to start a rebuild and give up a decent amount of capital?

Yes, he will likely go #1 but unless a team wants to pay to jump over Washington and NE the Bears aren't getting the return you think they are. if the Bears stick with Fields they would also likely reach out to Arizona first because it would cost them less.

Who has been as high of a WR prospect in the last 25 years? Randy Moss and the knock on him was that he went to Marshall and off field issues.

Reactions: stl705
It’s fair to question Williams, I’m not 100% sold and am fine with Fields personally. But the kid has produced since he was a FR and I think teams buy into the hype. We’ll see how good he ends up being.

I don’t disagree with you on Harrison, I’d love to have him. We’ll see what the Bears do, it’s a fun position to be in for not making playoffs.

Agree SIU on bowl games, these are nothing but glorified road pep rallies.

It’s fair to question Williams, I’m not 100% sold and am fine with Fields personally. But the kid has produced since he was a FR and I think teams buy into the hype. We’ll see how good he ends up being.

I don’t disagree with you on Harrison, I’d love to have him. We’ll see what the Bears do, it’s a fun position to be in for not making playoffs.

What's getting lost here is that there's not yet a guarantee the Bears end up with the #1 pick. Remember how the Bears got it last year, Lovie and the Texans pulled one out of their ass with a last second 4th and 20 TD and a 2 point conversion.

Carolina SHOULD lose their last 2 games to the Jags and Bucs who are fighting for the playoffs, but weird stuff can happen. It's looking like Lawrence may be out for the Jags this week.

And we have a long way to go till the draft. Williams will get pounded for official height. They haven’t been picked apart yet..just the nature of the beast.

What's getting lost here is that there's not yet a guarantee the Bears end up with the #1 pick. Remember how the Bears got it last year, Lovie and the Texans pulled one out of their ass with a last second 4th and 20 TD and a 2 point conversion.

Carolina SHOULD lose their last 2 games to the Jags and Bucs who are fighting for the playoffs, but weird stuff can happen. It's looking like Lawrence may be out for the Jags this week.
Agree, I was assuming we were all assuming that with our speculation.

And we have a long way to go till the draft. Williams will get pounded for official height. They haven’t been picked apart yet..just the nature of the beast.
That's one of the big reasons I don't like him. He's listed at 6'1", so he may end up being under 6'

That's one of the big reasons I don't like him. He's listed at 6'1", so he may end up being under 6'
Agree he may come in under 6’ but he doesn’t have the thinner stature that Bryce Young has who was drafted 1 last yr. Tua has played well also as a short QB in NFL. I do think there are legitimate concerns on his height but don’t see it stopping him from being drafted 1 overall.

Agree he may come in under 6’ but he doesn’t have the thinner stature that Bryce Young has who was drafted 1 last yr. Tua has played well also as a short QB in NFL. I do think there are legitimate concerns on his height but don’t see it stopping him from being drafted 1 overall.
Young hasn't exactly looked good this year. He's listed at 205 lbs. Williams is listed at 216 lbs. So that could be exaggerated too and he's either the same size or only has a few lbs. on Young.

The main reason I don't like him is what he did against the top defenses he played. He's athletic as hell but he just likes to run around and fire it to wide open receivers. ND made him look terrible. Arizona and Utah held him down. I worry about what he can do from the pocket and his ability to read NFL defenses.

he is for sure thicker no doutb. I was just saying that is gonna start coming out after Combine/Pro Day, scouts can do with it what they please. But after the season the tear down of the top guys normally starts, it is what it is.

Or the Bears over paid to move up one spot. Plus there's no set trade value for trading up "x" amount of spots and it varies year to year based on who's drafting where and the players being drafted. It's all about teams needs. If Bears are sticking with Fields and Arizona just paid Murray, why would either Washington or NE give up more than they have to? If Bears commit to Fields they don't have the leverage in any trade unless it comes from a team drafting after Washington or NE.

People need to stop over thinking this and thinking that just because things worked out last year that they need to trade back every year. The Bears have the #1 pick and, to me, there is a clear cut #1 player in Harrison. You take Harrison and then evaluate what to do with their other pick.
We agree on Harrison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT