ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

I know
I am on the fence with Fields. My rule has always been 3 years if no improvement your gone. I think I saw some improvement this year, maybe not in his stats but a slight improvement. Maybe it’s just me not wanting to start over again? Any case I feel like keeping him one more year and add M Harrison and another line man or Edge rusher. See if Fields can win with DJ and Marvin. If he can’t well excuses will be over.
What has he improved on?

Reactions: rocketnation
I’m

ya, but he wasn’t good.
But he has been very good and you never know. Not going to bash Fields but he hasn’t won a game where we can say that come back was because Fields pulled it off. Mahomes has done that plenty of times. Listen I don’t want to trade Fields at this point but he is a s#it show next year he has to go. I want to see what he does with a few more players the Bears are missing.
I am rooting for him! Year 4 is a make or break year in my book and with QBs I am usually 3 years and you’re out. I seen enough in a few games to give him another year. I maybe wrong?

What has he improved on?
I saw a different guy passing the ball. I mean he hit guys on long passes that simply didn’t catch the damn ball. He completes those passes and maybe he wins the game and his confidence rises. Part of his problem has and is confidence. The lack of a true coach that understands QBs hurts Fields. It’s not a secret the Bears kill QBs. Fields has talent and if they had a QB coach things might have progressed faster. Again gaining confidence in his team and his play means everything. Let’s hope the Bears make the moves to help this kid otherwise we start over and with our defense in the cusp of be really good I would hate to waste the defense on the years it will take to grow a QB.

So you have no thought on who the Bears should bring in or draft, that would be available, would make the Bears better than they are right now? So you're one of those that likes to complain just for the sake of complaining?
Let me ask you a question. Do you think the Bears should keep Fields or dump him?

So who in your opinion should the Bears get to replace him that makes the Bears better than they are right now?
If Poles feels one of the top QB's in the draft has the potential to be "the guy", Fields will be traded. He's not going to pass up the #1 pick for a QB, if he loves ones of the guys in the draft. Fields has improved, but he's still a below average passer.

If Poles doesn't like any of the top guys, I think Fields returns, and they trade the #1 for future picks that could be the QB backup plan in 2025/2026 if Fields doesn't improve enough to justify the big contract.

NO QB has a good game every time. Mahomes' completion percentage and passer rating were still better than Justin Fields' numbers. And people call Fields game an improvement of sorts and Mahomes' game as a disaster. Let that sink in.
My only point is that the best QB in the league has been on a declining trend this year and had an awful game yesterday, at home, on Christmas, against a pretty bad team. Why? Why are the Chiefs not winning as often? Why are Mahomes numbers this year the worst of his career? He still has Kelce who is one of the best TE of all time.
Point being that yes, duh, QB is important, but at the NFL level you need more.

The notion that simply replacing Fields will suddenly make the Bears contenders doesn’t seem reasonable to me. There are still too many areas of need. Maybe it’s long term Bears fan QB pessimism, but I’d rather they not draft QB #1 overall given both their historical QB track record and the historical bust rate of first round QBs in general.

They need D-line and edge rushers. They need at least one other legit pass catcher. They need to improve to O-line. They need a better play caller.

Reactions: corey90 and 4Afan
Let me ask you a question. Do you think the Bears should keep Fields or dump him?
Ask me at the end of the year, too many variables right now. It depends on what all the realiatic options are. Rumors are Atlanta or Vegas may be interested in a trade. What would they offer? What veteran free agent QBs may be available? What is the final draft order? Is the coaching staff going to remain the same? Who else is Poles looking to sign in free agency?

If Poles feels one of the top QB's in the draft has the potential to be "the guy", Fields will be traded. He's not going to pass up the #1 pick for a QB, if he loves ones of the guys in the draft. Fields has improved, but he's still a below average passer.

If Poles doesn't like any of the top guys, I think Fields returns, and they trade the #1 for future picks that could be the QB backup plan in 2025/2026 if Fields doesn't improve enough to justify the big contract.
Poles is on record as saying he would need to be really "wowwed" by one of the top QBs to draft them so he wouldn't draft someone on potential. He's saying that in order to take Williams or Maye they have to make the Bears better than they are with Fields right now.

My plan if I were Poles is draft Harrison at #1, don't play around with trading back and hoping he's still available because he's not making it past 2 or 3, whichever spot Arizona has because they'll take him. The next pick is debatable based on what that pick is. If they finish 1-1 in the last 2 games it's likely to be between pick 8-12 if they go 0-2 it's likely a top 6 pick. They go 2-0 and you're looking at picking around 15. Regarless, it's going to depend on who is available. I like Dallas Turner, Edge out of Bama if the pick is around 10 because I think that's where he ends up going. Unless they're in the top 7ish I don't see either of the top OT's being available beyond that.

In free agency I'd go after whoever the top Center and Guard are. Other than that I'd look for a Safety to replace Jackson and then start looking to add depth across the board, specifically on the OL and WR.

Poles is on record as saying he would need to be really "wowwed" by one of the top QBs to draft them so he wouldn't draft someone on potential. He's saying that in order to take Williams or Maye they have to make the Bears better than they are with Fields right now.
A lot of that is “GM speak” though, and not putting down their current players. Every draft pick is based on potential. Even deciding to continue with Fields is based on potential. If I said Fields will not improve from where he is right now, we wouldn’t want him as the long term QB. The hope in him is based on the potential he improves as a passer.

Every draft pick is based on potential.
I disagree in terms of the #1 pick. That player needs to be ready to start from day 1. That's why I like Harrison as the pick because he appears to be the most pro ready, plug and play guy.

Reactions: corey90
I look at Fields like I do a 5 tool baseball player. Fields has all the tools; he just needs confidence and a few more weapons OL and WR and another dominant young DL in the draft (like Carter). That player gets you the ball back of offense faster. I give 5 tool players more time to prove themselves.

I wish the Sox never gave up on a 5 tool player Sammy Sosa before giving him to the Cubs. This may not be a great example.

If Fields gets away from the Bears he will be making NFL defenses pay for it.

My 2 cents on fields…
Time to move on. His best plays are slop plays when the play breaks down and he takes off running or scrambles and runs. Often times he leaves the pocket too early. This isn’t sustainable or winning QB play.

He continuously makes HS level mistakes…quick game timing, getting out of bad plays, leaves pocket too early, slow feet, slow release, etc.

Draft a QB in round 1 and reset the rookie contract clock. Very intrigued to trade the #1 pick and get what we got last year again and take McCarthy with our pick.

I don’t imagine the trade market for him is very high. 2nd rounder at absolute best.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Draft a QB in round 1 and reset the rookie contract clock. Very intrigued to trade the #1 pick and get what we got last year again and take McCarthy with our pick.
Reset the rookie contract and reset the rebuild.

No need to be a homer, McCarthy ain't it. He has yet to be asked to do anything. He's been serviceable, but Michigan is where they are because of the running game and defense. In the 3 games against ranked opponents he combined for 355 yards and 1 TD. He may end up being good, but he's not a day 1 starting NFL QB.

No need to be a homer, McCarthy ain't it. He has yet to be asked to do anything. He's been serviceable, but Michigan is where they are because of the running game and defense. In the 3 games against ranked opponents he combined for 355 yards and 1 TD. He may end up being good, but he's not a day 1 starting NFL QB.
Not that he's all that...but keep up the whisper campaign against Caleb Williams...you might get him at 8-9-10 with "their own" pick and maybe even with a mid to late 1s that you get from flipping #1.. Gotta find an Orton on day 2 or sign a Tannehill, even if you keep Fields.

Last edited:
I disagree in terms of the #1 pick. That player needs to be ready to start from day 1. That's why I like Harrison as the pick because he appears to be the most pro ready, plug and play guy.
I agree that he seems ready to go, and I'm not against him as a player. But, it's still potential. There is a very long list of "can't miss" high draft picks that didn't work out.

If you want a trip down memory lane, google "biggest draft busts". A lot of names that I forgot about. Bears specific, Kevin White comes up a lot.

Not that he's all that...but keep up the whisper campaign against Caleb Williams...you might get him at 8-9-10 with "their own" pick and maybe even with a mid to late 1s that you get from flipping #1.. Gotta find an Orton on day 2 or sign a Tannehill, even if you keep Fields.
I don't care where he's available at I want no part of Williams.

Reactions: Silver Rain
My 2 cents….
Keep Fields and 5th year option.
Gather as many studs as possible. Whether keeping #1, trading it etc.
Find an OC that has a clue other than scripted plays.

If you move on Fields you have to fire the entire coaching staff and start over. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing just a must if you move on.

My 2 cents….
Keep Fields and 5th year option.
Gather as many studs as possible. Whether keeping #1, trading it etc.
Find an OC that has a clue other than scripted plays.

If you move on Fields you have to fire the entire coaching staff and start over. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing just a must if you move on.
With all the negative stuff I have said about Fields, I'd rather the Bears fire Eberflus and Getsy before or instead of cutting Fields loose. But if they do that here we go again with another HC and OC in the career of Fields which will make three of each already. It is a mess.

The Bears still need so much. I go back and forth on Fields. He could be better, and he could be coached better, as in using his assets better. Bears need a better D line and O line too.

The Bears still need so much. I go back and forth on Fields. He could be better, and he could be coached better, as in using his assets better. Bears need a better D line and O line too.
With draft assets, cap room, last place schedule again they should make playoffs or 100% should be the goal. I know people might laugh but the D is legit and they will add to that D-Line.

For the record the bar should be way higher but just saying this team isn’t light years away from playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4Afan
In light of today's news, do the Bears sign Russell Wilson knowing the Broncos have benched him and are likely to cut him in March? If they go this route they could trade Fields for more draft capital and draft a QB who wouldn't necessarily need to start right away. Wilson could provide that 2 year bridge while the draft pick learns the NFL system.

In light of today's news, do the Bears sign Russell Wilson knowing the Broncos have benched him and are likely to cut him in March? If they go this route they could trade Fields for more draft capital and draft a QB who wouldn't necessarily need to start right away. Wilson could provide that 2 year bridge while the draft pick learns the NFL system.
That would be a lot of capital on the QB position…assuming you use a high pick on a QB.

I still roll with Fields and get as much around him as possible…jmo.

Reactions: stl705
With all the negative stuff I have said about Fields, I'd rather the Bears fire Eberflus and Getsy before or instead of cutting Fields loose. But if they do that here we go again with another HC and OC in the career of Fields which will make three of each already. It is a mess.
If they draft a QB at 1 and start over coaching wise I won’t be pissed.
But if they don’t clean house and draft a QB 1 I will be fuming.
If they clean house after season we know Justin is gone for sure, IMO and if they plan a HC move they have to….

That would be a lot of capital on the QB position…assuming you use a high pick on a QB.

I still roll with Fields and get as much around him as possible…jmo.
Not really though, whoever they draft would be on a rookie deal and Russ should be cheap because it would be a short term deal and he's guaranteed $30+ million next year from Denver whether he gets cut or not. I would still use the #1 pick on Harrison and then trade back with the 2nd pick and draft Penix. He will likely be a late first or early 2nd round pick so that would make his contract even smaller.

Not really though, whoever they draft would be on a rookie deal and Russ should be cheap because it would be a short term deal and he's guaranteed $30+ million next year from Denver whether he gets cut or not. I would still use the #1 pick on Harrison and then trade back with the 2nd pick and draft Penix. He will likely be a late first or early 2nd round pick so that would make his contract even smaller.
Good points wasn’t totally thinking about what he’s owed. But the capital wasn’t just meaning money, that’s a late 1 or early 2 going to a player sitting for two years, just saying.

Reactions: 4Afan
All I have to react to this post is! 🤮

Good points wasn’t totally thinking about what he’s owed. But the capital wasn’t just meaning money, that’s a late 1 or early 2 going to a player sitting for two years, just saying.
Seems to be working for Love in GB and people forget that Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith his first year. I'd rather have them sit a year or two and learn the system and speed of the NFL versus being thrown into the fire day 1 when they're not ready.

And why is that?
If you go this route you’re talking a complete do over. I would rather keep Fields to see, add draft Marvin and if you can draft a back up QB fine. Then go after a D or O-Lineman. Don’t bring a guy who just failed at his 2nd team. 3 strikes is just a waste. Believe me he won’t do well in a Bears uniform. It sickens me to think of it!

Can we please get a center via draft or FA….
Yeah I'm not worried about that. Poles knows it's a big need. They'll get someone and finally be done with Whitehair and Lucas.
I am concerned, it’s been a position of weakness for a while now. I agree with SIU, Bears have to look at investing draft capital into the OL and C.

Is Jones the answer at LT? A lot of folks have said yes this year, but I don’t know. Is Davis the answer at RG? I don’t know either. We definitely need a C.

Prospects I like that would probably require a trade to get in early-mid round 2 range:

Van Prenn C - UGA
Jackson C - Oregon
Beebe OG - KSU
Donovan Jackson OG - OSU

What exactly is wrong w his game?

Or are you purely basing this based on stats?

If you go this route you’re talking a complete do over. I would rather keep Fields to see, add draft Marvin and if you can draft a back up QB fine. Then go after a D or O-Lineman. Don’t bring a guy who just failed at his 2nd team. 3 strikes is just a waste. Believe me he won’t do well in a Bears uniform. It sickens me to think of it!
He's not gonna be what he used to be but he didn't so much fail this year as much as him and Payton have different philosophies. He still had over 3,000 yards passing and 26 TDs to 7 INTs. He'd be a great mentor to whoever they would draft and he could still be successful for a year or two with the Bears improving defense and throwing to Moore, Kmet, and Harrison in this scenario. He would be great to help develop the young WR as well. If there's a chance to get a Super Bowl winning QB who is likey headed for the HOF to mentor a young QB I'm all for it.

What exactly is wrong w his game?

Or are you purely basing this based on stats?
Its worries me because it's unknown what he can do when it's on his shoulders and he has to win a game because he hasn't been in that situation, hell he threw 8 total passes in the PSU game. He may be very capable of doing it but we haven't seen him do that and you want to use a high first round draft pick. That's a huge risk.

I am concerned, it’s been a position of weakness for a while now. I agree with SIU, Bears have to look at investing draft capital into the OL and C.

Is Jones the answer at LT? A lot of folks have said yes this year, but I don’t know. Is Davis the answer at RG? I don’t know either. We definitely need a C.

Prospects I like that would probably require a trade to get in early-mid round 2 range:

Van Prenn C - UGA
Jackson C - Oregon
Beebe OG - KSU
Donovan Jackson OG - OSU
Jones is good. You don't like him because he wasn't a high draft pick from a power 5 school. They need to find a C and then add depth. Jones, Davis, Jenkins, and Wright are a good foundation.

Bears should absolutely not trade back into the 2nd round for a C. Both the guys you mentioned would likely be there in the 3rd. The kid from Oregon is great but this was his first year playing C.

He failed in Seattle?

Its worries me because it's unknown what he can do when it's on his shoulders and he has to win a game because he hasn't been in that situation, hell he threw 8 total passes in the PSU game. He may be very capable of doing it but we haven't seen him do that and you want to use a high first round draft pick. That's a huge risk.
It’s always a huge risk.

He’s 23-1 as a starter for the #1 team in the country playing in an NFL ready system.

His HC has missed 6 games this year and all of those games they haven’t thrown the ball a whole lot. The guy that calls the plays when he’s gone is the OL coach…he’s gonna call what he’s comfortable with.

I don’t put any stock in his stats.

He has great feet and throwing mechanics.
Great arm and athlete.
Chicago would love him.

Not saying he’s the guy but I hope he is.

Reactions: Wassup13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT