ADVERTISEMENT

Batavia vs. MC

Buddy Ryan
And Bear Bryant. Nick Saban, however, says "It ain't that way no more." Ideally, you'd want to be good in both categories. Leaves no room for doubt. And then there was a time when the Bears had a high-scoring defense.

Reactions: Gene K.
This game was getting talked about too much on the MC/SR thread so I figured I would give the game it proper own thread.

The main headline on this game is the “revenge” factor for Batavia. I won’t get into the final drive of last years game, I said my peace on it over a year ago. But wanting to play MC again for revenge is silly. MC did nothing wrong. MC didn’t cheat, MC didn’t play dirty or cheap shot anyone, MC didn’t pay off the refs. MC has been getting flagged for just about anything under the sun this year, nothing has been let slide. MC has played the last 40 years with a bullseye on their back. They are circled on every teams schedule and when they are beaten it makes many teams season. They are used to it. Revenge, if some want to deem this game as, gets your blood pumping but it doesn’t make you faster or more athletic. Revenge ends at kickoff.

I’ll chime more in on the actual game later but I figured I’d address this topic early in the week.
McCaravan:

I've fallen out of favor with a certain segment of South Side residents of late (19th Ward, East Beverly) and am even less popular with a specific Mount Carmel graduate, so I want everyone to know I am in full support of my spiritual cousins, MC, in this title game.

Though I agree MC has traditionally been marked by its opponents, this game is different. Like you, I don't find fault with MC regarding the outcome of the MC-Batavia game last year. The game was not rigged in MC's favor. Nonetheless, Batavia's mind is poisoned with revenge; it is the single greatest motivating factor for the Bulldogs.

MC won last year's playoff game legitimately, but Batavia doesn't see it this way. In Batavia's worldview, they were cheated out of a victory. Both you and I know MC, through no fault of their own, won uprightly. For Batavia, this is about revenge; and MC has to pay.

MC had better keep this in mind.

McCaravan:

I've fallen out of favor with a certain segment of South Side residents of late (19th Ward, East Beverly) and am even less popular with a specific Mount Carmel graduate, so I want everyone to know I am in full support of my spiritual cousins, MC, in this title game.

Though I agree MC has traditionally been marked by its opponents, this game is different. Like you, I don't find fault with MC regarding the outcome of the MC-Batavia game last year. The game was not rigged in MC's favor. Nonetheless, Batavia's mind is poisoned with revenge; it is the single greatest motivating factor for the Bulldogs.

MC won last year's playoff game legitimately, but Batavia doesn't see it this way. In Batavia's worldview, they were cheated out of a victory. Both you and I know MC, through no fault of their own, won uprightly. For Batavia, this is about revenge; and MC has to pay.

Great post and point taken. Trust me in my line of work, I know what revenge can cause people to do. Like you and I said, it shouldn't be revenge against MC as we did nothing wrong, but as you said, they feel cheated. I know the pay back factor can help in preparation, motivation and increase your work ethic. Its a fire that burns inside. MC knows they are going to get Batavia's best punch, but Batavia needs to know that they are going to get punched back. I always say, revenge will get you through kickoff, then its talent vs. talent.

• Love
Reactions: dweise and Gene K.
and am even less popular with a specific Mount Carmel graduate
Must be Tom Dart, who just got a new helicopter and would make a good mayor. I know they call him "T.V. Tom," but he doesn't seem to be corrupt.
MC will come to fight, and this is a tough group. As Arrington said, "We play like a fist."
MC knows they are going to get Batavia's best punch, but Batavia needs to know that they are going to get punched backIf
If Batavia tries intimidation, the game will be over fast. The key for MC is to be aggressive but to stay within themselves..

Last edited:
Must be Tom Dart, who just got a new helicopter and would make a good mayor. I know they call him "T.V. Tom," but he doesn't seem to be corrupt.

MC will come to fight, and this is a tough group. As Arrington said, "We play like a fist."

If Batavia tries intimidation, the game will be over fast. The key for MC is to be aggressive but to stay within themselves..
Silver Rain:

Close, but Dart is no fan of mine either. The MC graduate who holds me in utter contempt is not corrupt; he is just lazy and inept.

BTW: What do you suggest I do with this spare can of Alpo? I've got two Alsatians, both female and very high maintenance, and neither would ever touch this unappetizing crap.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Great post and point taken. Trust me in my line of work, I know what revenge can cause people to do. Like you and I said, it shouldn't be revenge against MC as we did nothing wrong, but as you said, they feel cheated. I know the pay back factor can help in preparation, motivation and increase your work ethic. Its a fire that burns inside. MC knows they are going to get Batavia's best punch, but Batavia needs to know that they are going to get punched back. I always say, revenge will get you through kickoff, then its talent vs. talent.
McCaravan:

Oh, I'm sure you are very familiar with people compulsively seeking revenge. In the past several years, I've learned quite a bit on the subject.

I will be sitting in the comfort of my home cheering LA, MC, Nazareth, PC, IC, and Saint Teresa tomorrow and Saturday. I will also be watching ND-USC. Under normal circumstances, I'd join the revelry surrounding the IHSA games by wearing something "Mount Carmel." However, @DeanOfSelection has never given me any MC gear. Dean has also NEVER even offered, despite my gracious gesture of a LA shirt bestowed to him.

Perhaps some good-natured MC graduate can rectify this indecency someday.

Batavia focusing on a revenge game has purely been (as pointed out earlier in this thread) an SR fan "idea." It is now being perpetuated by an LA poster and other MC fans. I'm VERY confused why MC needs this narrative when, on paper, they are the better team.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Batavia focusing on a revenge game has purely been (as pointed out earlier in this thread) an SR fan "idea." It is now being perpetuated by an LA poster and other MC fans. I'm VERY confused why MC needs this narrative when, on paper, they are the better team.

Jack McInerney referenced the revenge factor live toward the end of the MC - Rita Game on Marque. He actually said Batavia would prefer MC win instead of Rita, so they would have the opportunity to do so.

That seemed to prime that topic here as the game concluded. Or just a coincidence.

Reactions: RockSoup
Jack McInerney referenced the revenge factor live toward the end of the MC - Rita Game on Marque. He actually said Batavia would prefer MC win instead of Rita, so they would have the opportunity to do so.

That seemed to prime that topic here as the game concluded. Or just a coincidence.
Jack also backed the refs the entire game in question. I don't like him as an unbiased announcer, but it does appear he was trying to paint a narrative into the game as well.

I actually found it interesting another poster in the SR-MC thread said he was against MC during the game call. Appears to pick a side and just stick with it

Jack McInerney is an insightful analyst, but he relies too much on cliches and repeating old stories.

I wish he coul;d learn to pronounce the first work in my high school's name. It's "mount," not "marnt."

Maybe the subject hasn't drawn a lot of chatter here, at least until recently, because we have so few Batavians on this board. But Mike O'Brien says in today's Sun-Times that the desire for revenge runs deep in Batavia, and that the coach of the Bulldogs has heard about it every day for a year.

Last edited:
O'Brien also states "Batavia doesn’t seem obsessed with revenge against Mount Carmel." In the same article.

No dog in the fight, but seems like a pretty good David vs Goliath scenario here. I did catch the 4th quarter of last years Batavia / MC game and am familiar with the narrative.

Well then, it seems we are at an impasse. You've made your decision then?
Think you got the wrong guy. Was just pointing out a contradiction to the quoted post from the same article.

IDC who wins this game, just hope it's close and competitive 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
Speaking of newspapers, Thursday's Tribune actually carried an article on prep football. I czan't recall the last time they did so. Of course, that same exact article had appeared in the Southtown on Tuesday.

Just posted on Edgys other thread that I love my neighborhood when dowling to Deacy is St. John fisher to Cajetan. Lets go. Marists Rolder played today for Michigan as a true Frosh. So far so good for me.

Reactions: PJD1970 and Jenny27
I am not a Batavia fan but you have to also look at their returning starters. Believe it or not it makes a big difference. I think 🤔 they have a lot of returning players which in turn equates to experience. I am not saying the Bulldogs will win I actually picked MC, but this game will be closer than people think. 😊
I think this whine corked and we are teetering on vinegar!

Besides the usual suspects, such as Dowling, Furlong, and Arrington, who played well as always, we had contributions from players who rarely make the headlines. Just a few of the standouts:

Nose tackle Bobby Medina had his first INT.
Noah Smith had an INT and was all over the field.
Tavon Rice had a sack for a 20-yard loss.
Alonzo Manning had over 100 yards rushing.
Jimmy Deacy did his Furlong immitation with two beautiful TD catches.
Jaden Bossie turned on the jets and scored a pair of touchdowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJD1970 and Jenny27
Besides the usual suspects, such as Dowling, Furlong, and Arrington, who played well as always, we had contributions from players who rarely make the headlines. Just a few of the standouts:

Nose tackle Bobby Medina had his first INT.
Noah Smith had an INT and was all over the field.
Tavon Rice had a sack for a 20-yard loss.
Alonzo Manning had over 100 yards rushing.
Jimmy Deacy took it up a notch with two beautiful TD catches.
Bossie turned on the jets and scored a pair of touchdowns.
I agree - they were wonderful. How many are juniors?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT