ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri title game ends early as CBC quits

Rollinnolan05

Oct 13, 2022
Surprised to not see any thread about this story.

Missouri's Class 6 title game this past weekend was stopped with over 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Perennial power CBC was going for a 3rd straight title, but Liberty North was out for revenge after losing to CBC the past two years.

To me this seems like a school who isn't used to losing having a hard time accepting their fate. Story mentions 4 unsportsmanlike penalties (3 on CBC) in 4th quarter. Sounds like the game was getting out of hand, but would expect the CBC coach to get his team under control and finish the game.

Seems to be sending a poor message to his players by asking for game to end early. Maybe he comes from the same coaching philosophy as IC's coach...when it gets tough, just give up.

There was a playoff game in another state where a missed call cost a team a game. The refs missed a ineligible receiver down field & the state association was meeting on what to do. Think back on the Fenwick game was it?

Missouri's Class 6 title game this past weekend was stopped with over 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Perennial power CBC was going for a 3rd straight title, but Liberty North was out for revenge after losing to CBC the past two years.

To me this seems like a school who isn't used to losing having a hard time accepting their fate. Story mentions 4 unsportsmanlike penalties (3 on CBC) in 4th quarter. Sounds like the game was getting out of hand, but would expect the CBC coach to get his team under control and finish the game.

Seems to be sending a poor message to his players by asking for game to end early. Maybe he comes from the same coaching philosophy as IC's coach...when it gets tough, just give up.
Wow that's a bad look. Of course you don't want unnecessary injuries, but because you can't control your team? You're the coach and can't take control of the situation on cheap shots being taken?

Reactions: RockSoup
Not state but i recall Joliet Catholic playing Phillips in the playoffs. Joliet Memorial had a power outage in the early 3rd. It was out a bit. JC had a big lead. When it came on Phillips decided they were done. Should have been punished

Reactions: Checkdowncharlie
Not state but i recall Joliet Catholic playing Phillips in the playoffs. Joliet Memorial had a power outage in the early 3rd. It was out a bit. JC had a big lead. When it came on Phillips decided they were done. Should have been punished
The other side of the story…

The other side of the story…

Sounds like a biased, one-sided story from a writer who had a son on the losing team. CBC (not so Christian Brothers) was the team with the majority of the unsportsmanlike penalties. And Liberty North was only up by 24 when they scored again with four minutes remaining. Another note: This writer had to retract a lie in his previous version. What a piece of garbage.

Last edited:
Why should they have been punished? I recall another playoff game involving JC and Crane where the score was getting out of hand and both coaches decided to call the game in the second half. I presume there are many instances where games are stopped prematurely due to the score. That is completely different to what happened in the Missouri state title game.

Reactions: NNFAN
Wow that's a bad look. Of course you don't want unnecessary injuries, but because you can't control your team? You're the coach and can't take control of the situation on cheap shots being taken?
It sounds like LN was the instigator of the late hits. They had their equivalent of Craig Anderson at the game who agreed the game shouldn't be continued.

All.... Here is an alternative the coaches could of done if they got together other then having an official stop the game which I don't like. I go back to 2011 SHG @ Rochester It's late in the fourth quarter and SHG is up 42-14. A little under 4 minutes left and the Cyclones have the ball with reserves trying to burn as much time they can to finish the game. Simple running plays by the backups but the Cyclones are having success driving and getting close to the end zone. The Rockets fans are getting riled up. KL sees this and he has the offense take the knee including on fourth down. No kicking a field goal. But the problem is there is still time left and out comes the Rocket offense. D.L. does the same thing and the game eventually ends. That might of been the way to go. Stopping the game just leaves me with a bad taste in the rodents mouth.... Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... Here is an alternative the coaches could of done if they got together other then having an official stop the game which I don't like. I go back to 2011 SHG @ Rochester It's late in the fourth quarter and SHG is up 42-14. A little under 4 minutes left and the Cyclones have the ball with reserves trying to burn as much time they can to finish the game. Simple running plays by the backups but the Cyclones are having success driving and getting close to the end zone. The Rockets fans are getting riled up. KL sees this and he has the offense take the knee including on fourth down. No kicking a field goal. But the problem is there is still time left and out comes the Rocket offense. D.L. does the same thing and the game eventually ends. That might of been the way to go. Stopping the game just leaves me with a bad taste in the rodents mouth.... Ratsy
The coaches being father and son probably makes that a little easier to do.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
It sounds like LN was the instigator of the late hits. They had their equivalent of Craig Anderson at the game who agreed the game shouldn't be continued.
Actually it was Christian Bros that had 12 penalties for 110 yards, and Liberty North only had 5 penalties for 55 yards. And if you read the account of the game from every other publication, it is noticeably different than the narrative from this homer from St. Louis.

Last edited:
Reactions: crusader_of_90

My HS team at 7-2, that played in a 1st round of playoffs, against a 9-0 team, was winning 34 to 0 and their coach called the refs over and my coach over and asked for an end of the game. We sat in our lockeroom for a 24 minute running clock and game was over.
The other teams head coach, thought his kids would get hurt.
I thought it was sad, but at least he thought about his kids

My HS team at 7-2, that played in a 1st round of playoffs, against a 9-0 team, was winning 34 to 0 and their coach called the refs over and my coach over and asked for an end of the game. We sat in our lockeroom for a 24 minute running clock and game was over.
The other teams head coach, thought his kids would get hurt.
I thought it was sad, but at least he thought about his kids
Were they high school kids or eight year olds? So many questions... when you say hurt do you mean physically hurt or hurt feelings? Was this a special needs group of kids? Was it 34-0 in the first quarter or 2nd half? Did they only have 13 kids on the team? Did they forget their equipment and have no padding or helmets? How could they be 9-0 with a coach like that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT