ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite HS Football Team? Why?

Mount Carmel class of 95. To small to play football, but earned a few rings on the wrestling mat back in the day.

When I was in 4th grade, I got to sit in the student cheering section to watch MC blowout St. Lawrence 31-0! Mind you Larry had a handful of guys go D1 scholarship that year, including All pro Tim Grunhard. MC stormed through the regular season, going 13-0 before half the team went down with the flu when Kent Graham and the Wheaton north falcons dismantled them 34-21. Nevertheless, a season to remember in 1986. I was hooked...

1. Neuqua - we live here and I have a son and daughter there now.

2. St. Francis - oldest boy went there and graduated in 2017.

3. Marist - my SS Irish wife had cousins there so I always had a connection.

4. Benet - sooo many neighborhood kids went there to play FB. Most have moved on so I don’t follow them as closely as I used to.

You had me until you mentioned Benet......lol

Brother Rice because I'm a graduate. I grew up going to games at 103rd & Cottage Grove and thought I would go to Carmel (Still a MC fan). Dad was a '69 grad of Carmel and grew up with Frank Lenti but Mom didn't want me going to that neighborhood for school every day so I chose Rice because that was the school I liked best out of all the schools I shadowed.

Reactions: Topiary and Gene K.
E.ST.LOUIS I'm from there
My list of favorites:

1. Edwardsville (born and raised)

2. ESL aka EASTSIDE (lifelong fan and have tons of family, friends etc that are alumni... not a fan of all of the transferring though)

3. All other teams in the 618 area, especially the Southwestern Conference (close to home)

4. Pontiac (family)

5. Traditional powerhouse schools like Loyola, Lincoln Way East, Mt Carmel, Wheaton Warrenville South, Main South, Joliet Catholic, etc (fun to watch)

6. Any IL team vs any team from out of state (love IL high school football)
An Eville fan that doesn't like transfers lol

Reactions: Gene K.
Great stories! Keep them coming. Really interesting to see where the loyalty to a High school is and why! Also, it is super interesting to see the backgrounds of other posters whose posts I have seen and enjoyed for the last several years. The love of high school football really shows that we all have much more in common than not.

Joliet West. I'm an alumni. I also follow Joliet Central (my parents went there) Lake View & Amundsen because I live near them, and Geneseo because one of my friends played for them, he's still mad about the play call when they went for 2 vs. Joliet Catholic in the 1990 state final!
least i forget the WESTMEN then the Tigers

Obviously I am a a big time Coal City Coaler fan. Played on the first ever playoff team and played on the team that won CCs first playoff game. Still live here. Helped create our CC youth program and coached in it for 16 years. Oldest son played and youngest son is a Senior player now so my run off kids playing is almost up. But I will continue to be at the games.

Favorite non CC teams are WIlmington and Geneseo. CC and Wilmington was the best rivalry in the I8 and will be in the ICE. Great respect between some great kids and coaches form each town but when they step on the field its usually a war. I have seen some great games between the two. Geneseo for its rich tradition and community support. Going to a game up there is quite the experience

I’m an Althoff fan since early childhood. Coach Schott’s wife was my first grade teacher. His youngest sone three years older than me in my sister’s class and oldest son coached me in camps as a wee one.

I like all 618 teams - special affinity for EAST SIde. All Bellevillians came from East Saint ... my Pop went the Central Catholic and Mom went to ESL Sr.

Sterling HS. Moved to Sterling when I was 5 and my dad and I went to every Golden Warrior game home or away til I got to don the blue and gold myself. I live in Montana now but I still watch them on my phone when sitting in the stands on Friday nights. Miss the pork chop sandwiched they would make on the big grill outside the concession stands.

Also partial to the schools in Colorado I got to coach at, and of course, the middle school I coach at currently.

Could have won state a few times if they had a kicker
I remember the Carlyle battles!

This is from the game report after the Indians' 1988 title:
With fullback/linebacker Pat Dall, who was named the Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year after the 1988 season, quarterback Scott Horner and speedster Percy Knox, Carlyle's ball-control attack began its rise to prominence. The Indians averaged 37.2 points per game on offense, while allowing just 7.2 on defense.

When has a downstate 2A player EVER been named Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year?

I follow Saint Francis because I graduated in the mid 80s. We never had much of a football tradition until the last 10 years. Even though we were really bad when I was on the team I have a ton of nephews who have played and are on the team now. I also follow Montini pretty closely. I have a bunch of friends with ties to Bronco and know a bunch of coaches there.

I also follow Loyola and now DePaul Academy.

Because of these four I can always say I follow a winner.

I grew up in Western PA, went to school at Penn State, and landed in Morris, IL. Started attending games around 2000. About the time my oldest son was interested in going to games, Morris had a player by the name of John Dergo. Been hooked since then. My middle son got to play for Dan Darlington at the youth level. And the little boy I took to watch the Dergo team is now a Captain and Quarterback for the Skins and his brother is on their Freshman team.

What's with Benet that attracts such comments? I don't know anything about them.
There’s definitely a “we are better than you because our kids go to Benet” mentality out there. There is an arrogance among those who go there, went there, or support the school. It is real. I’m sure @ClownBaby can expand on this and confirm.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
I grew up in Western PA, went to school at Penn State, and landed in Morris, IL. Started attending games around 2000. About the time my oldest son was interested in going to games, Morris had a player by the name of John Dergo. Been hooked since then. My middle son got to play for Dan Darlington at the youth level. And the little boy I took to watch the Dergo team is now a Captain and Quarterback for the Skins and his brother is on their Freshman team.
Who’s this Dergo kid you speak of?

I covered that Dergo, Morris/JCA game, still one of the best games in any sport at any level I’ve ever been too.

As for Benet, im East Aurora grad and the arrogance the fans displayed in the 87 sectional championship, as well as, the Boatright game Over Frank the tank and Sobiewski was enough for me.

I forgot all about Benet the day I graduated from SF. But I always thought that it was kind of strange Benet thought so highly of themselves and many kids acted as if it was a school for super rich kids. Benet is not in Hinsdale, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Burr Ridge or Winnetka.

Benet is in Lisle.

I forgot all about Benet the day I graduated from SF. But I always thought that it was kind of strange Benet thought so highly of themselves and many kids acted as if it was a school for super rich kids. Benet is not in Hinsdale, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Burr Ridge or Winnetka.

Benet is in Lisle.
And it's the one of the cheapest private schools in the area

Benet is in Lisle.
There is super rich kids there. Just like SF, Montini, Naz, etal. But there are also super rich kids at Central, Neuqua, GBW, HC. Etc.

My issue is the way they look down on you. Especially those from St. Francis. Not sure why but it exists and I lived it. “Oh, your boy couldn’t get into Benet?” LOL...my boy was accepted into both and we left the choice up to him. He chose SF because it felt more like home to him. A smaller, highly competitive academic environment. And he didn’t have to wear a tie. That was the winning variable.

Manteno alum, valedictorian 1986 when MHS dropped under 250 kids. Participated in three sports...Hoops, baseball, track - lettered in all 3 as a senior. Participated is the right term, played might be too strong of a term - as an example I set the unbreakable hoops record for fewest points and rebounds in a season with 0 as a junior backup center on a 2-22 team...2x Athletic Boosters President, 1st time got the track built (Boosters helped lay the sod and constructed the fence around it - they still blame sprained ankles on my poor job laying sod). 2nd time was 1st year of football, and I also was Ed Foundation President which raised the money for bleachers & lights. I also helped set up the MYFA.

Lived in Peotone 4 & 5 grade. Basketball & track manager. The Devils have not made any improvement to the cinder track since I was a 5th grader...probably dragged it a few times. A teammate is now PJH principal, and Panther - Devil games have lots of cousins playing against each other.

Stepson played for Wilmington. That's why I usually sit on the visitors side nowadays at Manteno...visitors parking directly behind the bleachers is rather convenient.

I generally follow all the Kankakee area schools. I got a kick out of telling my stepson about the cool old gyms before the first time he visited them..."The Crater" at Clifton Central...Momence...the locker room at MVK with the showers in the middle of the room. The fact that Manteno Middle School and GSW have identical gyms except for the stairs to the upper deck. I have classmates with kids at all the schools...heck, the mothers of the recent stud tailbacks at Herscher & Central were my brother's classmates.

My father was a Hilltopper and played when Gordie Gillespie was a young Hilltopper assistant.

I was born into it and watched older cousins and an older brother don the Brown & White. I had the privilege of playing there myself and have had the pleasure of watching nephews, sons of cousins and countless friends carry on traditions and grow up along the way.

Throughout the journey I have had the good fortune of meeting great families and former opponents with whom good friendships have developed. None of these experiences would have ever happened if not for this game my father chose to play 70 years ago while attending Joliet Catholic High School.

My freshman year at SF I knew a girl that I went to St. Mikes with was rejected at Benet and she then tried to get accepted at SF. SF rejected her also. She then went to Wheaton North for one year before transferring to Benet. WHen I was at SF, Benet had about 1400 kids. SF and Montini were the next biggest schools and had around 800 kids each. The rest of the schools in the old WSCC were all around 500 kids. So it wasn't unusual for Benet to win at everything. They had 600 more kids than us and Montini and were often 2 times as big as the other schools.

If Benet wanted to brag about beating up on schools half their size they could. I'm neither here nor there on Benet but I did laugh a little when I saw Benet play in the ESCC and the Metro and get the crap kicked out of them when they played schools of equal size in the 90s. In the mid 90s I drove over to see Benet play LA at Benet. On the first drive of the game LA fumbled the ball deep in their own territory and Benet recovered. It took Benet four downs to score after going for it on 4th down. Benet kids went nuts like they were going to win the game. LA rattled off 45 straight points and I don't think Benet ever got past LAs 30 yard line. I laughed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT