ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite HS Football Team? Why?

My favs i always cheer for:

LW East- total respect for Zvonar and what he built at East
Lockport- No secret Czart is one of my favorites; another program builder like Zvonar.
Lw West- Ernst fits the mold like the other guys previously mentioned
St. Rita- Tradition and tough hard nose kids.
Mount Carmel- Lenti took them to the national ranked recognition level by playing with character athletes. Always KISS philosophy and LOVE how Dave Lenti's teams play defense.

Teams I love to Hate:

St. Rita- they make both my lists- more often than not I will cheer for them
Lw Central- Coaching staff gets them on the hate list
Minooka- "Darlington" Morris Wanna be's

I remember the Carlyle battles!

This is from the game report after the Indians' 1988 title:
With fullback/linebacker Pat Dall, who was named the Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year after the 1988 season, quarterback Scott Horner and speedster Percy Knox, Carlyle's ball-control attack began its rise to prominence. The Indians averaged 37.2 points per game on offense, while allowing just 7.2 on defense.

When has a downstate 2A player EVER been named Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year?

Suntines player of the year in 1988 was Brian Dunleavy from St. Viator. Double check that one

Last edited:
Reactions: JAYC14
I root for Nazareth Academy because my siblings and I went there, my brother and I both played, and both of us gave our all for the program. I suffer from some pretty debilitating ailments directly related to on the field injuries, and I would do it all again. Love the program, and more importantly the school. Shaped me profoundly, and I wish I would have paid even more attention to Mr. Moran...

Root for Glenbard North because that's where my kids will end up, and I also actually like Marist a ton [all my uncles and dad went there]. Same kinda with Rita [grandpa] and SHG [grandparents].

JCA is a team I always find myself rooting for when not playing Nazareth.

I also root for CPS schools to beat everyone but Nazareth...

St. Rita. Been going to the games since I could walk. Played there.

I follow and cheer for all the ABCCL/ESCCXYZ teams except vs St. Rita bc I know the sacrifice by many people it takes in keeping those programs alive and successful.

Publics that I keep an eye on that I have family and friends:

Richards
Lockport
LWE

My favs i always cheer for:

LW East- total respect for Zvonar and what he built at East
Lockport- No secret Czart is one of my favorites; another program builder like Zvonar.
Lw West- Ernst fits the mold like the other guys previously mentioned
St. Rita- Tradition and tough hard nose kids.
Mount Carmel- Lenti took them to the national ranked recognition level by playing with character athletes. Always KISS philosophy and LOVE how Dave Lenti's teams play defense.

Teams I love to Hate:

St. Rita- they make both my lists- more often than not I will cheer for them
Lw Central- Coaching staff gets them on the hate list
Minooka- "Darlington" Morris Wanna be's
St.Rita.I remember back in the mid 70's Rita played St.Laurence.A kid used electrical tape a Star RB for the Vikings.On his helmet he had I Hate Rita.Made the papers.Didn't Darlington get into big trouble at one of the new Plainfield schools and was banished?

Reactions: Gene K.
St.Rita.I remember back in the mid 70's Rita played St.Laurence.A kid used electrical tape a Star RB for the Vikings.On his helmet he had I Hate Rita.Made the papers.Didn't Darlington get into big trouble at one of the new Plainfield schools and was banished?
Rita v Laurence in the 70's was the thing! In fact....did you know that both their 1978 and 1979 regular season match-ups were moved to Soldier Field in order to accomodate 20,000 fans!! Rita won 1978 (state champs) and the Vikes '79 (state runner-up to ESL). The early 70's (pre-IHSA) featured some great catholic League Championships between the 2 teams - also played on the lakefront. I'm a Laurence guy but would love to see another game at old St Rita on 63rd street!

Teams that I love to root for:
East Side- Kids are bought in and how can you not love how well their fanbase travels?
Mt. Carmel- Tradition.
Wilmington- Love their home game atmosphere
The Brook- Tailback high...
Geneseo- Uniforms, fans, offense haven't changed in 40 years.
Marian of the Woodpile- first and only checkerboard endzone i've ever seen at the high school level. Just need to get their mosquito problem under control.
Phillips- CPS baby.

Also on a yearly basis I like to root for the non-traditional program that has a Bartlett Freshmen type team. Last year it was Maine West and Willowbrook.

Teams I love to root against:
LWE- Just don't like their uniforms... Also so much talent there that they're fun to root against.
Naz- although their fanbase has grown on me in recent years since they outgrew their posse days, similarly to LWE they have so much talent that they are fun to root against.
Loyola- Impossible to root for a team that hires Bowie as their nutritionist. lol.
Montini- I loved coach A, but never felt like his teams were the classiest bunch.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
Rita v Laurence in the 70's was the thing! In fact....did you know that both their 1978 and 1979 regular season match-ups were moved to Soldier Field in order to accomodate 20,000 fans!! Rita won 1978 (state champs) and the Vikes '79 (state runner-up to ESL). The early 70's (pre-IHSA) featured some great catholic League Championships between the 2 teams - also played on the lakefront. I'm a Laurence guy but would love to see another game at old St Rita on 63rd street!
Vikes took the 78 prep bowl which mostly everyone but me hates

Obviously I am a a big time Coal City Coaler fan. Played on the first ever playoff team and played on the team that won CCs first playoff game. Still live here. Helped create our CC youth program and coached in it for 16 years. Oldest son played and youngest son is a Senior player now so my run off kids playing is almost up. But I will continue to be at the games.

Favorite non CC teams are WIlmington and Geneseo. CC and Wilmington was the best rivalry in the I8 and will be in the ICE. Great respect between some great kids and coaches form each town but when they step on the field its usually a war. I have seen some great games between the two. Geneseo for its rich tradition and community support. Going to a game up there is quite the experience
Lennie Onsen who coached Coal City football for many years is my niece's husband. Terrific guy and great coach. Watched his two sons grow up and both played for CC at LB and QB. The atmosphere at Coal City football games is super and it appears that the whole town comes out for the game. Love that place and how they support their teams.

Reactions: Coalertown44
Palatine. Played and coached there.
Marian Catholic. My mom went there, but I am also related to Mattio (according to my mom)

I've been affiliated with other schools as well, but PHS is the only one that actually stings when they lose.

Lennie Onsen who coached Coal City football for many years is my niece's husband. Terrific guy and great coach. Watched his two sons grow up and both played for CC at LB and QB. The atmosphere at Coal City football games is super and it appears that the whole town comes out for the game. Love that place and how they support their teams.

Oh wow.......I'm pretty good friends with your nephew then......Eddie....small world!

Teams that I love to root for:
East Side- Kids are bought in and how can you not love how well their fanbase travels?
Mt. Carmel- Tradition.
Wilmington- Love their home game atmosphere
The Brook- Tailback high...
Geneseo- Uniforms, fans, offense haven't changed in 40 years.
Marian of the Woodpile- first and only checkerboard endzone i've ever seen at the high school level. Just need to get their mosquito problem under control.
Phillips- CPS baby.

Also on a yearly basis I like to root for the non-traditional program that has a Bartlett Freshmen type team. Last year it was Maine West and Willowbrook.

Teams I love to root against:
LWE- Just don't like their uniforms... Also so much talent there that they're fun to root against.
Naz- although their fanbase has grown on me in recent years since they outgrew their posse days, similarly to LWE they have so much talent that they are fun to root against.
Loyola- Impossible to root for a team that hires Bowie as their nutritionist. lol.
Montini- I loved coach A, but never felt like his teams were the classiest bunch.
Hey! There’s nothing healthy about me I can assure you! Go Ramblers!

Palatine. Played and coached there.
Marian Catholic. My mom went there, but I am also related to Mattio (according to my mom)

I've been affiliated with other schools as well, but PHS is the only one that actually stings when they lose.
When did you play at palatine? If I may ask?

Ramblers. I know...HUGE shock. Raised in palatine (not born there) down the street from Fremd. Played PAFA and now my son plays for PAFA. Went to St. Theresa and learned that I was going to LA when I was in 5th grade. Kids made fun of me that I was going to an “all boys school.” I did not want to go at first. I wanted to play with my PAFA brothers. Saw the Ramblers play at soldier field and fell in love instantly. I wore my brother’s LA jacket 6th-8th grade and developed a strong sense of pride because I was the only one from my team, school, etc. going to LA. Got to play my friends at PHS junior and senior years. Lots of fun! My dad went to Ignatius (born and raised on the south side) my older brothers went to LA. Although we were from palatine we have always rooted for the catholic league. I also root for the Pirates of Palatine and the Fremd Vikings. I root for mount Carmel and Rita when they are not playing my Ramblers. Huge respect for those programs.

I also root for Dowling Catholic and Valley in Iowa. Crazy story: I’m adopted and so are my two older brothers. I was born on the west side of Des Moines. My birth mother was15 when she had me. (I think I was called a “wannabe Richie-rich” on this board last year). Far from it. I got really lucky when I was little and was adopted by amazing, kind and giving people that taught us boys that we are here for one reason and that’s to serve others. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that we don’t always know the whole story. I fail daily at this 100 times before breakfast.

Anyway, about 10 years ago, completely out of the blue, i received a private message on Facebook. It was from a high school aged girl who said that I was her brother. The last line read: “my mother always baked a cake on December 1st. We never knew why, until she finally told us about you and that December 1st is your birthday.” My adoption was private, so I had no idea who my birth parents were. All I was told is that they were 15 and 16 years old and loved me so much that they gave me away because they wanted a better life for me. It turns out that my birth mother and birth father ended getting married years later (fairly atypical) and I discovered that I had 3 full biological siblings. The middle one was one of the top rated linebackers in the country out of high school. My bio brothers played at Dowling and Valley then one brother ended up with a full ride to play for stoops at Oklahoma. His name is Gabe Toomey. He was a beast! Too bad I was only 5’10 200 lbs as a NG at LA. My bio bro Gabe was 6’4 240. Oh well! Everything happens for a reason. Gabe ended up finishing at KU. Here’s a little story on my brother Gabe, who’s a really good dude:

https://kansas.rivals.com/news/where-are-they-now-gabe-toomey

So that’s why I root for Dowling and Valley.

Last edited:
Ramblers. I know...HUGE shock. Born and raised in palatine down the street from Fremd. Played PAFA and now my son plays for PAFA. Went to St. Theresa and learned that I was going to LA when I was in 5th grade. Kids made fun of me that I was going to an “all boys school.” I did not want to go at first. I wanted to play with my PAFA brothers. Saw the Ramblers play at soldier field that fall and fell in love instantly. I wore my brother’s LA jacket 6th-8th grade and developed a strong sense of pride because I was the only one from my team, school, etc. going to LA. Got to play my friends at PHS junior and senior years. Lots of fun! My dad went to Ignatius my older brothers went to LA. Although we were from palatine we have always rooted for the catholic league. I also root for the Pirates of Palatine and the Fremd Vikings. I root for mount Carmel and Rita when they are not playing my Ramblers. Huge respect for those programs.
Also an STS grad.

Reactions: Bowie50
I remember around 2008 Montini played at Benet at BC. The two schools had not played in a long time and going back to the 80s the two schools really disliked each other.

We had a great wrestling team and many were playing football back then. We won by about 35 points and our wrestlers were really manhandling the Benet players.

Not a peep was said when the Montini fans walked by the Benet parents and fans in the concession area. The only talk I heard was man those Montini wrestlers are something else.

I root for Batavia, my kids school.. Good program, been following since 03.. Good coaching up and down the program..

Follow the Dukane, actually root for all of the schools during the playoffs.. Kind of like what I do during bowl season and the Big Ten..

Root against all parochial schools but I do go to church every Sunday..

Played at Princeton High School 85, first class to beat the 70's 80's juggernaut Geneseo Maple Leafs and it was on their home turf. Oh yeah, also, our class was first to make the playoffs in school history..

Fenwick - Alum and I played there...not very well!
Lake Zurich - coached so many kids that played there and my kids played there with the youngest on the State runner up team in 2016/17. I think there were about 17 kids that I coached on that team. Great community, Great support for the team too.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Anyway, about 10 years ago, completely out of the blue, i received a private message on Facebook. It was from a high school aged girl who said that I was her brother. The last line read: “my mother always baked a cake on December 1st..
I was birthed in a convent in north St. Louis a week before the Roe v. Wade ruling by a 15 who got pregnant by a 17-year-old who, when learning of this, dropped out of school and joined the Navy (and is now a correctional officer in MO.) Was immediately taken across the river to Catholic Charities - my birth mother eventually had two more kids - three baby daddys total.

She reached out to me during the early days of the Internet as I had registered on a site to receive medical info. I called Catholic Charities in Belleville and a classmate answered the phone ... and confirmed (illegally) that I was contacted by the lady who gave birth to me.

She wanted to be a part of my life - I only wanted medical info, as I had just become a father, but I spoke with her a few times - humored her for a bit ... but when she started asking for advice, wanting to come meet, saying I love you and that stuff ... I pulled the plug.

I've just turned 25 and have two babies to raise. Ain't nobody got time for your nonsense, lady!

However, I leave my Facebook open for others to see - her daughter and sisters have sent friend requests - none I've accepted. Bio-brother is a flaming liberal ... no thanks.

the way I see it, I hit the lottery, I believe, the day my Mom and Dad brought me into their home. I never "wanted" for anything in my life ... and I have no unfulfilled needs either.

Some say that's cold-blooded. Maybe it is. But I don't care.

That said, great story, Bowie - I sincerely mean that!

I was birthed in a convent in north St. Louis a week before the Roe v. Wade ruling by a 15 who got pregnant by a 17-year-old who, when learning of this, dropped out of school and joined the Navy (and is now a correctional officer in MO.) Was immediately taken across the river to Catholic Charities - my birth mother eventually had two more kids - three baby daddys total.

She reached out to me during the early days of the Internet as I had registered on a site to receive medical info. I called Catholic Charities in Belleville and a classmate answered the phone ... and confirmed (illegally) that I was contacted by the lady who gave birth to me.

She wanted to be a part of my life - I only wanted medical info, as I had just become a father, but I spoke with her a few times - humored her for a bit ... but when she started asking for advice, wanting to come meet, saying I love you and that stuff ... I pulled the plug.

I've just turned 25 and have two babies to raise. Ain't nobody got time for your nonsense, lady!

However, I leave my Facebook open for others to see - her daughter and sisters have sent friend requests - none I've accepted. Bio-brother is a flaming liberal ... no thanks.

the way I see it, I hit the lottery, I believe, the day my Mom and Dad brought me into their home. I never "wanted" for anything in my life ... and I have no unfulfilled needs either.

Some say that's cold-blooded. Maybe it is. But I don't care.

That said, great story, Bowie - I sincerely mean that!
Crusader:

I was very reluctant to share my story, because it's so personal. Candidly, I teared up as I was writing it - very cathartic (I will save it for group). I had a very similar experience as you. I am now off Facebook and have cut ties completely with my bio family - it got weird. My birth mother and family wanted more than I could give them and I needed to cut ties. However, I think we are both pretty darn lucky!

I remember this so well.

This was (for me at least) one of the most remarkable performances by an athlete that I've ever witnessed in person. What I marveled at as much as anything that night, was the fact that young Mr. Dergo never came off the field. Offense, defense, special teams. He was out there for every single play. Without a doubt, the greatest effort I've ever witnessed against "my Hilltoppers".

Sought him out after the game so I could perhaps shake his hand and congratulate him. We spoke briefly, and I was glad I had because he seemed to be a very grounded young man.

Just an incredible night, even if it was "the other teams' guy".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT