ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite HS Football Team? Why?

Dergo might have been the one of the most dynamic Hs football players ever. the only tougher was Nick Passolano. As a junior Nick was Catholic league defensive player of the year. 165lbs defensive lineman.
You had to SEE him play to believe it! Indescribable.
Both went on to wrestle in Division I schools. I think there was the commonality!

Reactions: forlouann
However, I think we are both pretty darn lucky!
You ain't kidding!

Kinda comical but sad. A life-long friend, from Pre-K, was adopted from Catholic Charities too. He also was a healthy, blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy and our birthdays are six days apart. He had to be in stock at the same time. We spoke as kids about what it'd be like if we ended up in different houses.

Shamefully, I thought his folks were cool. The old man raced the Miss Budweiser boat and hung out with local pro athletes. My dad was an accountant and was on the school board.

Then I started to understand, my buddy was getting his ass kicked at home ... later on in life, he dealt with FBI raids, tax liens ... then financial recovery ... then some more duplicitous stuff when they had a business together. For more than a decade, my buddy has been estranged from his parents. they are dead to him.

Seems I lucked out twice!

This was (for me at least) one of the most remarkable performances by an athlete that I've ever witnessed in person. What I marveled at as much as anything that night, was the fact that young Mr. Dergo never came off the field. Offense, defense, special teams. He was out there for every single play. Without a doubt, the greatest effort I've ever witnessed against "my Hilltoppers".

Sought him out after the game so I could perhaps shake his hand and congratulate him. We spoke briefly, and I was glad I had because he seemed to be a very grounded young man.

Just an incredible night, even if it was "the other teams' guy".
Agreed, kids were sitting in the trees just to see it. Incredible

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I cheer for back of the yards, wow what a great field,great kids, hopefully great team. .

I cheer for back of the yards, wow what a great field,great kids, hopefully great team. .
Would be a great story if Hispanics finally crack into football with a winner. Historically, the interest hasn’t been there to field a team beyond having players on the field, much less lining the sidelines. It will happen eventually. Sometimes it seems a long way off though.

Reactions: Gene K.
Dergo might have been the one of the most dynamic Hs football players ever. the only tougher was Nick Passolano. As a junior Nick was Catholic league defensive player of the year. 165lbs defensive lineman.
You had to SEE him play to believe it! Indescribable.
Both went on to wrestle in Division I schools. I think there was the commonality!

And you can add Sparty Chino to that list.

This was (for me at least) one of the most remarkable performances by an athlete that I've ever witnessed in person. What I marveled at as much as anything that night, was the fact that young Mr. Dergo never came off the field. Offense, defense, special teams. He was out there for every single play. Without a doubt, the greatest effort I've ever witnessed against "my Hilltoppers".

Sought him out after the game so I could perhaps shake his hand and congratulate him. We spoke briefly, and I was glad I had because he seemed to be a very grounded young man.

Just an incredible night, even if it was "the other teams' guy".
Ironically on a Friday night full of thunder and lightning we receive a post from The Disciple!
I just wanted to say “Thank You, Sir” for your leadership back at the Catholic High football games back in the late 70’s and 80’s! Truly a great time at The Hill.
The best moment though was your surprise appearance at our Catholic High pep rally when you jumped out of the coffin and got the whole gym full of Hillmen going crazy! Good times! The Hill on 31 North Broadway was a special and very unique place. “Champions For Life”

Reactions: Gene K.
Would be a great story if Hispanics finally crack into football with a winner. Historically, the interest hasn’t been there to field a team beyond having players on the field, much less lining the sidelines. It will happen eventually. Sometimes it seems a long way off though.
East Aurora supports this message

Ironically on a Friday night full of thunder and lightning we receive a post from The Disciple!
I just wanted to say “Thank You, Sir” for your leadership back at the Catholic High football games back in the late 70’s and 80’s! Truly a great time at The Hill.
The best moment though was your surprise appearance at our Catholic High pep rally when you jumped out of the coffin and got the whole gym full of Hillmen going crazy! Good times! The Hill on 31 North Broadway was a special and very unique place. “Champions For Life”

Thanks! But I should be the one thanking all the Hillmen (and their parents) from those days. i can't begin to express how much fun doing that was. And over time, how much it meant to me. i truly consider it an honor to have been "allowed" to do that. The memories I have of those times are still so fresh in my mind, they seem as though they happened last week. And you're right of course, that period of time really was special.

And if you're still wondering, yea. "Still Crazy After All These Years" lol, lol...……...

Can't help but wonder...……."are you ready?!!"

Go Hillmen

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT