ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s in favor of teams with a losing record making the playoffs?

Some how my thread went off the rails. I was asking about weather posters thought teams with a losing record should be in the playoffs and some how it turned into lessons on how to raise your kids. Never would I expect perfection from a child but would always expect my kids to give their best effort. In the end that’s all we should expect. Now carry on.:cool:
I hate to open the curtain, but has anything I’ve posted in this thread sound real?

We all know that numbers are down in football. If a 3-6 team making the playoffs means they keep their numbers the following year, then I fail to see what the issue is.

Reactions: RockSoup
I would take under .500 playoff teams over districts. I mean we have all seen the re-conferencing year in and year out and some programs begging for any opponent to fill up openings in their schedules.

Scheduling one sport should not be an ADs full time job as he/she administers to all sports under their direction and make sure all events go off with as few glitches as possible.

320 administrations thought scheduling football as too much of a burden that they voted in what would eventually lead to an increase in the demise of football participation across the state, districts.

This is fact and a rule coming in a year and a half. Get ready for the 4 hour regular season trips twice a season for the south suburban programs and 4 4 hour trips for some St. Lou area programs, get ready for more forfeits from developing programs vs developed programs, it’s coming unless a better proposal gets voted for that makes scheduling football less time consuming.

If that means your sensibilities are wrecked by a 3-6 team making the playoffs, then I can live with that outcome.

District play can allow a 3-6 team to make make the playoffs over a 7-2 team. Absolutely mathematically possible. So...what works better.

Problem is we live in different times regarding HS Football. Wanna get hit by a bus, or a truck? Sounds more like a Presidential Election.

Can't wait for the first 3-6 or 2-7 week 9 upset sending some 6-3 team packing. How's that for a life lesson, ya shmo's!

Don’t see how letting in 2-6 teams is worse than imbalanced districts. Districts are tv e greatest threat to the health of football in this state. While I would prefer the status quo, there isn’t enough support behind it to defeat districts. Therefore, the 48 team class is the only option to galvanize enough support to prevent districts from killing off football as we know it in this state.

As long as we are letting 7-2 CPS teams in, I am not going to complain if we have 4-5 teams from top conferences in.

My post from another thread:
Marist. Unless they pull a rabbit out the hat in week 9 vs Loyola (which is not going to happen) they finish the year at 4-5. They could make the playoffs IF the Chicago Teachers Union goes on strike. Marist has 44 playoff points with two weeks remaining.

Since most are making parallels to personal experience:

I watched my daughter's Carmel Catholic VB team go winless (0-7) in the ESCC and advance to a Sectional Championship, losing narrowly to a team that ended up #2 overall.

Four rounds in a gauntlet 4A path.

I'll take a qualifying team with a grinder schedule, even with a losing record, for the IHSA football playoffs all day long.

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
If we are going to let more teams in I hope we do something to fix the way the playoffs are seeded or do some of the changes ive talked about for years.

And there will be lots of 2-6 teams from good leagues better than 6-2 teams from terrible leagues.
Imagine Althoff in 2A this year. They may have only two wins now - but they competed at 5A ... and Ritter looms.

IC Catholic Prep (Elmhurst, IL)
(L) 52 - 7

@ Vianney (Kirkwood, MO)
(L) 34 - 20

Mater Dei (Breese, IL)
(L) 41 - 20

Mt. Vernon (Mt. Vernon, IL)
(W) 48 - 42

Centralia (Centralia, IL)
(W) 13 - 6

Marion (Marion, IL)
(L) 42 - 35

Carbondale (Carbondale, IL)
(L) 50 - 21

@ Cahokia (Cahokia, IL)
10/25

Cardinal Ritter College Prep (St. Louis, MO)

How about all the teams without winning records just play in their own playoff consolation brackets?

That way they still get to play but it would be like the NIT of high school football.

If we are going to let more teams in I hope we do something to fix the way the playoffs are seeded or do some of the changes ive talked about for years.

Yes we must get rid of regional or north/South seeding. Just give me 1-32 straight up.

Higher seed should be able to defer home field so they can get it later rounds. Been saying this for years.

I see your point but I really like it the way it is. I like to see great teams go on the road and have to win tough game later in the playoffs.

I see your point but I really like it the way it is. I like to see great teams go on the road and have to win tough game later in the playoffs.

I see both sides but would just prefer it the way I suggested. Neither of us are right or wrong, just our preference. Could also bite a cocky coach in the end.......

Reactions: Wassup13
Don’t see how letting in 2-6 teams is worse than imbalanced districts. Districts are tv e greatest threat to the health of football in this state. While I would prefer the status quo, there isn’t enough support behind it to defeat districts. Therefore, the 48 team class is the only option to galvanize enough support to prevent districts from killing off football as we know it in this state.

I can see it now. IHSA the state of Illinois allowing 2-6 record into the playoffs. LMAO what a joke. Time to give a trophy to all participanties! My god what has it come to in 2019. I asked a question about losing records 4-5 but you guys put on your thongs and lifted your skirts. 2-6 Wow.
I am sorry I started this post. Damn

Reactions: gags33
I am not pro teams with 4-5 records making the playoffs. I guess the only debate would be strength of schedule. I could understand it if all 5 losses were to teams with a winning records.
Let’s hear what you guys think.
I am not in favor of this. Many teams of kids have fought with everything they had to get into the Playoffs, and this like telling them it’s just a waste of time, and you should not be proud of yourself and the team. Why should we be watering down another sport? This is not good training for life. These kids will find out the hard way that life is not like that. This would be Ill preparing them for life by doing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wassup13
The real beauty of this 2 page thread is (In my Opinion) that the vast majority of high school players could care less whether some/most 4-5 or even 3-6 teams make the playoffs and it's us (the adults) that are fighting over doing it one way or the other or keeping things as they are. :rolleyes:

If your team is in the playoffs and can't beat a 3-6 team it's a good bet your team shouldn't have been in the playoffs either!

Reactions: Gene K.
Higher seed should be able to defer home field so they can get it later rounds. Been saying this for years.
I have liked this idea for a while too.
Would force some interesting decisions to be made in round 1.

The fact that universal playoff qualification occurs in all the other IHSA sports makes me wonder how this has not happened sooner in football. Football really should not exist as such an extreme exception, especially now that the time is here for a reset.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
All 4-5 records aren’t created equal unless you are going to balance out everyone’s schedule I no problem with teams getting in with losing records.

Currently South Elgin is by far the most dominate team in the state averaging 55per game and only giving up 1, if they played the same schedule as LWE would they even have a winning record at this point? Schedules matter and there is so much variation to say all 4-5 teams aren’t playoff teams.
Have you seen SE play? You don't know what SE record would be if they played same schedule as LWE.

It was a lesson my father taught me, it wasn’t my choice. But I appreciate it now as I look back. Whenever my 7 year old doesn’t ace a spelling test I make her do push-ups where she has to shout out the spelling words she misses.

I refuse to let her be anything but perfect. I’m sure she’ll appreciate it later in life.
I really hope you’re kidding

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT