ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s in favor of teams with a losing record making the playoffs?

Have you seen SE play? You don't know what SE record would be if they played same schedule as LWE.

I have only seen them on film. If they played the same schedule as LWE Calpreps projects that their record would be 4-3 which is a good record but nowhere near the most dominate team in the state which they clearly are at this point.

My point still stands that all schedules are not created equal.

I can see it now. IHSA the state of Illinois allowing 2-6 record into the playoffs. LMAO what a joke. Time to give a trophy to all participanties! My god what has it come to in 2019. I asked a question about losing records 4-5 but you guys put on your thongs and lifted your skirts. 2-6 Wow.
I am sorry I started this post. Damn
Pretty sure you don’t get a participation trophy for making the playoffs. Everyone gets into playoffs in every other sport. Why do u care if a 3-6 team gets into the playoffs?

Pretty sure you don’t get a participation trophy for making the playoffs. Everyone gets into playoffs in every other sport. Why do u care if a 3-6 team gets into the playoffs?

What other sport do you get into the playoffs with a losing record? You said everyone gets into the playoffs in every other sport. Name them.

Zzzzzzzzzz. Argument gets really old

The argument being old could mean that it has been around for a while...which means it might have some gravity. How could a 30 mile radius to the DISTRICT boundaries not be an advantage in a metropolitan area? Megalopolis nonetheless?

Reactions: bhawks
Don’t see how letting in 2-6 teams is worse than imbalanced districts. Districts are tv e greatest threat to the health of football in this state. While I would prefer the status quo, there isn’t enough support behind it to defeat districts. Therefore, the 48 team class is the only option to galvanize enough support to prevent districts from killing off football as we know it in this state.

Preach!

I have only seen them on film. If they played the same schedule as LWE Calpreps projects that their record would be 4-3 which is a good record but nowhere near the most dominate team in the state which they clearly are at this point.

My point still stands that all schedules are not created equal.

4-3 vs. that schedule is actually pretty good! LOL.

The argument being old could mean that it has been around for a while...which means it might have some gravity. How could a 30 mile radius to the DISTRICT boundaries not be an advantage in a metropolitan area? Megalopolis nonetheless?
It’s old because everyone has their opinion and I have yet to see anyone change their view based on what is said here. I’ve learned to agree to disagree on this one

What other sport do you get into the playoffs with a losing record? You said everyone gets into the playoffs in every other sport. Name them.

Baseball
basketball
bowling
cross country
golf
lacrosse
soccer
synchronized swimming
swimming
tennis
track and field
volleyball
water polo
wrestling

Reactions: Gene K.
Baseball
basketball (?)
wrestling
All the other 3 major sports do, I think, not sure about basketball. You can have fun looking up the rest. A lot of those are not even offered in most schools. And, synchronized swimming a sport?, I sure hope you're kidding, if not you better add a lot more like Poms, Cheer leading, chess, math team, debate team, band, etc.

All the other 3 major sports do, I think, not sure about basketball. You can have fun looking up the rest. A lot of those are not even offered in most schools. And, synchronized swimming a sport?, I sure hope you're kidding, if not you better add a lot more like Poms, Cheer leading, chess, math team, debate team, band, etc.

I threw that in there to see how long it would take for some to comment on it.

Last edited:
If you put all teams in football in the playoffs you are going to have 3 to 4 weeks of boring football. We already have 2 boring weeks of playoffs already. Football is different from other sports because you can only play once a week

Football playoffs should therefore only include teams with winning records.

If you want all the teams in the.playoffs then let the teams with losing records have their own separate playoffs.

Reactions: gags33
you beat me to this answer. He forgot Dance, Cheer and Band. I think they should stop keeping score and just let everyone play that way Johnny & his parents feel good.
I only listed male sports. Fishing is listed as an activity not a sport. Synchronized swimming should be added for the winner of the "most sensitive posters" poll. LOL

Last edited:
All 4-5 records aren’t created equal unless you are going to balance out everyone’s schedule I no problem with teams getting in with losing records.

Currently South Elgin is by far the most dominate team in the state averaging 55per game and only giving up 1, if they played the same schedule as LWE would they even have a winning record at this point? Schedules matter and there is so much variation to say all 4-5 teams aren’t playoff teams.

South Elgin would struggle dearly with LWE schedule.

In 1987 Argo went 1-8.All their losses were close and they would have been very competitive in the playoffs

I am not pro teams with 4-5 records making the playoffs. I guess the only debate would be strength of schedule. I could understand it if all 5 losses were to teams with a winning records.
Let’s hear what you guys think.
Corey, I agree with you 100%.

I have a solution to the issue. This weekend S. Elgin plays Homewood Flossmoor and The Brook plays Bartlett. This will allow us to calibrate the U8 and SE. All the teams involved are 7-0/6-1 so it's not like trading a last place team for a top team.

And everyone involved will be happy!

Reactions: Bwm57 and RockSoup
Some how my thread went off the rails. I was asking about weather posters thought teams with a losing record should be in the playoffs and some how it turned into lessons on how to raise your kids. Never would I expect perfection from a child but would always expect my kids to give their best effort. In the end that’s all we should expect. Now carry on.:cool:
Corey, you and I know how threads can go off the rails here. Happens quite often.

I have a solution to the issue. This weekend S. Elgin plays Homewood Flossmoor and The Brook plays Bartlett. This will allow us to calibrate the U8 and SE. All the teams involved are 7-0/6-1 so it's not like trading a last place team for a top team.

Ha, I feel as if this is just a clever plot to get out of playing HF.

Ha, I feel as if this is just a clever plot to get out of playing HF.

Hardly. Really, I wish we could play H-F every week, but we gotta get to the bottom of this S. Elgin debate. And it's not like Bartlett is chopped liver, I remember the talk about the Freshmen. This team is comparable.

Would love to see Bartlett against the Brook... We will just wait for them in the playoffs.

A lot of this depends on what your goal is, some coaches schedule no one weeks 1 and 2 and hope to go 5-4. They know they cannot win state but hope playoffs get program buy in.

Others schedule buzz saws early. They know if they get in they will be battle tested are ready. If they cannot get 5 they know this was not year for a run.

I would much rather be a Mairst this year or Mount Carmel few years ago then a Wauconda who sneaks in some years then gets crushed round 1

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT