ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s in favor of teams with a losing record making the playoffs?

corey90

Aug 27, 2005
Crown Point, IN
I am not pro teams with 4-5 records making the playoffs. I guess the only debate would be strength of schedule. I could understand it if all 5 losses were to teams with a winning records.
Let’s hear what you guys think.

Let's stop handing out trophies to everybody.

Either the regular season means something or it does not. No team with a losing or 500 record should make the playoffs.

Why? Because you did not accomplish anything.

When you put teams with losing records in the playoffs, your not only a loser for establishing the playoff format, but your deeming the regular season as meaningless. So let's not even play the regular season at all.

Last edited:
Let's stop handing out trophies to everybody.

Either the regular season means something or it does not. No team with a losing or 500 record should make the playoffs.

Why? Because you did not accomplish anything.

When you put teams with losing records in the playoffs, your not only a loser for establishing the playoff format, but your deeming the regular season as meaningless. So let's not even play the regular season at all.

Wassup
I agree
You are also sending the kids the wrong message by rewarding them for losing.

I am not pro teams with 4-5 records making the playoffs. I guess the only debate would be strength of schedule. I could understand it if all 5 losses were to teams with a winning records.
Let’s hear what you guys think.

corey:

EFF THAT!

All 4-5 records aren’t created equal unless you are going to balance out everyone’s schedule I no problem with teams getting in with losing records.

Currently South Elgin is by far the most dominate team in the state averaging 55per game and only giving up 1, if they played the same schedule as LWE would they even have a winning record at this point? Schedules matter and there is so much variation to say all 4-5 teams aren’t playoff teams.

5-4 against cupcakes and you're in.
4-5 against OOS opponents (since no one will return your calls) and a tough conference and you're finished after 9 weeks.

You're not getting a trophy for showing up to the playoffs - but you may just hurt the feelings of someone with a soft schedule.

If the CTU strikes the CPS this year there may be no choice. If not in a couple of years they may have to drop a class or two if more schools give up playing football.

Could they possibly make this work.....7-2 or better, you should automatically be in..all 6-3, 5-4, & 4-5 teams get in based on points. The majority of the , 5-4, 4-5 teams are just what they are, 5 win, or 4 win teams. But there are a handful of them that had the gauntlet schedule and are much better than record will show.

Like every debatable situation, you can't please everyone.

Reactions: MonetaMitch
That’s a tough one. Huntley will end up 8-1 and will be one and done in the 8A playoffs.

When I was a senior in HS, my baseball team was 13-15. My father forbade me from playing in the playoffs. I felt bad, but the life lesson he taught me has stuck with me.

Corey:

thank you for being so brave, and saying what needs to be said.

Thanks Stripes
Listen IMO I don’t believe a losing record should be in the playoffs. Again it’s debatable to some and I respect that but to be clear if I was a player on a team with a losing record I wouldn’t feel good about being in the playoffs. That’s me and I am sure others don’t agree.

What message do you send kids by scheduling no one so you can get in the playoffs?

Clown the kids don’t do the scheduling. I wouldn’t put it on them either way. I bet the kids don’t feel good about going to the playoffs with a losing record regardless.

Thanks Stripes
Listen IMO I don’t believe a losing record should be in the playoffs. Again it’s debatable to some and I respect that but to be clear if I was a player on a team with a losing record I wouldn’t feel good about being in the playoffs. That’s me and I am sure others don’t agree.
I’m with you. I blew off my daughters soccer playoffs bc they were under .500. You should see what I make her do when she doesn’t get an A on her first grade spelling tests.

My kid’s summer league baseball team had the worst regular season record and ended up winning the playoff championship. A little different there since all teams got in. But I loved every minute of it and for him it pretty much wrapped up his playing days. As a parent I want my kids to enjoy every chance they get and wouldn’t turn down an opportunity to watch just because the record isn’t there. Whether teams get in or not are out of our control but if they get in, enjoy every moment.

When I was a senior in HS, my baseball team was 13-15. My father forbade me from playing in the playoffs. I felt bad, but the life lesson he taught me has stuck with me.
I don’t want to bring your family into this but you already did that. Different strokes for different folks but what you believe to be a great lesson I believe to be a not so great one.

You quit on your teammates come playoff time, you wont convince me you did the right thing. You made a commitment, you see that commitment through. Maybe I’m wrong but everyone’s values are different. Just because you feel some way doesn’t mean it’s right or even more importantly it doesn’t mean everyone feels that way.

Reactions: USD24
I don’t want to bring your family into this but you already did that. Different strokes for different folks but what you believe to be a great lesson I believe to be a not so great one.

You quit on your teammates come playoff time, you wont convince me you did the right thing. You made a commitment, you see that commitment through. Maybe I’m wrong but everyone’s values are different. Just because you feel some way doesn’t mean it’s right or even more importantly it doesn’t mean everyone feels that way.
It was a lesson my father taught me, it wasn’t my choice. But I appreciate it now as I look back. Whenever my 7 year old doesn’t ace a spelling test I make her do push-ups where she has to shout out the spelling words she misses.

I refuse to let her be anything but perfect. I’m sure she’ll appreciate it later in life.

Could they possibly make this work.....7-2 or better, you should automatically be in..all 6-3, 5-4, & 4-5 teams get in based on points. The majority of the , 5-4, 4-5 teams are just what they are, 5 win, or 4 win teams. But there are a handful of them that had the gauntlet schedule and are much better than record will show.

Like every debatable situation, you can't please everyone.
JCA went into the playoffs last year at 5-4 The went on a run to the title beating teams for the following records:
8-1
7-3
11-0
12-0
12-1

https://www.ihsa.org/SportsActiviti...dsHistory.aspx?url=/data/fb/records/index.htm

It was a lesson my father taught me, it wasn’t my choice. But I appreciate it now as I look back. Whenever my 7 year old doesn’t ace a spelling test I make her do push-ups where she has to shout out the spelling words she misses.

I refuse to let her be anything but perfect. I’m sure she’ll appreciate it later in life.

I would never go that far. Kids are not perfect the difference is you just don’t reward for doing bad.

Is this Sgt Hulka?

My kid’s summer league baseball team had the worst regular season record and ended up winning the playoff championship. A little different there since all teams got in. But I loved every minute of it and for him it pretty much wrapped up his playing days. As a parent I want my kids to enjoy every chance they get and wouldn’t turn down an opportunity to watch just because the record isn’t there. Whether teams get in or not are out of our control but if they get in, enjoy every moment.

Agree out of our control. We don’t make the rules the IHSA does. I just don’t agree with moving on into the playoffs with a losing record.

I would never go that far. Kids are not perfect the difference is you just don’t reward for doing bad.
I’m saying that I’m not interested in raising a loser. So if she is not going to ace all of her tests there’s no need to reward her at all. If my daughter got a 99% in her chemistry class, I’m more worried about what she doesn’t know than what she does.

In fact, it’s an embarrassment to my family that she isn’t bilingual yet. My grandfather is rolling over in his grave.

And let’s be real: using my 7 year olds age as an excuse for why she isn’t bilingual yet is the same as using injuries, schedule, or the variety of other reasons as an excuse to let a 4-5 team into the playoffs.

Not in my America.

stripes13:

Were you raised by Josef Mengele?

Reactions: Gene K.

U sure she’s gonna appreciate that?

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Hold up...why is it ok for you not to want to teams with a losing record in the playoffs, but it’s not ok for my parents (and now me) to demand perfection from their/my children?

stripes:

The difference, of course, is we were deliberating whether a high school football program with a losing record should compete in the post-season. In contrast, you are using negative reinforcement on a seven-year-old.

My faults as a parent were manifold, but to expect perfection from a child is utter insanity.

stripes:

The difference, of course, is we were deliberating whether a high school football program with a losing record should compete in the post-season. In contrast, you are using negative reinforcement on a seven-year-old.

My faults as a parent were manifold, but to expect perfection from a child is utter insanity.
Again, I’m so disappointed in this thread.

Some how my thread went off the rails. I was asking about weather posters thought teams with a losing record should be in the playoffs and some how it turned into lessons on how to raise your kids. Never would I expect perfection from a child but would always expect my kids to give their best effort. In the end that’s all we should expect. Now carry on.:cool:

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT