ADVERTISEMENT

Where's the new CCL/ESCC Divisions

Take care of the bottom like that and the middles get screwed. It’s one or two games with practically zero chance but the goal is to get the capable teams to 5 wins.

Smaller divisions and 2 year re-alignments are the best they can do in a hierarchical system such as conference sports. The capable programs currently at the bottom (bad word but used for sake of discussion) can now legitimately see a path to meaningful games being played by them in October and November.

In the 70s and the 80s, the CCL had 48 - 0 games too.
Difference Rock is kids in the 70’s and 80’s were still playing football, no matter what the results may be. Now with numbers declining at a rapid rate, kids definitely don’t want to play for teams that have consistently been struggling. This will help those teams get some W’s and hopefully get kids playing. At least that’s what they hope.

Reactions: RockSoup
I'd say this set up seems to be great for all schools.

Besides a
* a Naz / Montini debate, conferences and cross overs are set up for each school to succeed.
(Both of these schools can hold their own against PC, Rita, and ND & when are these schools not arguing!)
* Rita missing out on Rice and Carmel. Wouldn't surprise me if Badke agrees to play them week 1 or 2 since he appears to want to keep school rivals alive.
Which as a player you love. As a former rice player I 100% want to play carmel, rita, and marist every year.

If Jchill ain't complaining the merger committee I'm sure is relieved:p

Now let the real season begin. I am 100% in support of all CCL and local teams as we battle public schools and teams 3x our size.

Time to join forces as supporters instead of making enemies out of each other MC63:eek:. (I would of loved to egg that old / cranky guys house back in the day!)

Best of luck to all schools this weekend.

I understand keeping MC/BR on Rita's schedule and all, but I would advise TK not to schedule a non-conference game against either MC or BR. Just look at next year, SR has LA/Benet in their crossovers and beating Bronco-PC-ND is not a guarantee.

Difference Rock is kids in the 70’s and 80’s were still playing football, no matter what the results may be. Now with numbers declining at a rapid rate, kids definitely don’t want to play for teams that have consistently been struggling. This will help those teams get some W’s and hopefully get kids playing. At least that’s what they hope.
True but Mendel from the 60s became Mendel of the 80s and SFDS of the late 70s became SFDS of the 90s even during the “more kids playing” days.

Either way, you and I agree on most subjects and I think we can agree that the merger is as decent a pro-active path as they could take for many of the programs subjected to the current macro-trends in Football/Catholic/Illinois statatistics.

Reactions: McCaravan
1. Will these actually be the names of the divisions?
2. Crossovers are that you play 1 school from 4 of the other 5 divisions. The 1st tier doesn't play the 6th. The 2nd doesn't play the 4th. The 3rd doesn't play the 5th. I would have thought it would have made more sense to play all games against divisions closer in level. Such as the 6th only playing two schools from each of the 5th and 4th.
3. When they change this up in 2 years will they still base it on a combination of record and school size? I would prefer this to just be a starting point and go with straight record going forward. Would make the races more interesting if you knew certain games were to move up or down.

Thank god for this because if we played the same schedule as this year,we would be 2-7. Wish we had next years schedule this year. JCA would be 7-2.

"We"?

Other than the handle that you have made up and use on Edgy's Board, may I please be enlightened on your affiliation with Joliet Catholic Academy?

Reactions: ESCC fan
"We"?

Other than the handle that you have made up and use on Edgy's Board, may I please be enlightened on your affiliation with Joliet Catholic Academy?
Already stated this but I will say it again for ya all. I went to a catholic school in the city. Moved to the burbs and adopted JCA as my burb team. I don’t usually comment on any other team unless JCA played them or I have seen them play. I don’t do the pick’ems because I don’t have time to follow everyone like you guys. Not knocking anyone. I try to go to all levels of jca football every week and some baseball games. I still root for my highschool but too far to go to games. I’m not a guy like MC63 who bleeds his highschool colors. Nothing wrong with that either. I get it. I love ground and pound football. That’s the story. If I don’t qualify as a fan that can use we when referring to JCA, I’m sorry if it offends you and I will stop. I didn’t mean anything by it.

I don't mean to come off snarky. I just see games like Leo against ND, Montini against Joe's, Provi against DP, Naz against Leo, Marian Central against Loyola and so on.

If you have 6 divisions that are based on success, male enrollments, and football participation, you would think that they could figure out a way to schedule that the bottom teams (hate using that term but just go with it for the discussion) wouldn't have to play someone more than 2 divisions above them.

What's the fastest way to grow a program? Winning. The conference should be looking to pull up the bottom teams by having them play games closer to their level.

If this has been answered, please forgive me, but does winning the Division count as winning conference which in return gets a playoff birth? What is the exact rule on that?

@DigitalCy - you make a good point. I saw the same thing (biggest schools still playing the smallest schools) and was disappointed. HOWEVER, like @RockSoup, I believe this is a significant step in the right direction! I am very encouraged.

Nevertheless, this 24 team conference with 6 divisions of 4 teams will be much more equitable in the future IF IF IF they add the six Catholic schools from the Metro Suburban:
  • Immaculate Conception
  • St. Francis
  • St Edward
  • Aurora Central
  • Bishop McNamara
  • Guerin Prep
Another good move would be 5 divisions of 6 teams (instead of 6 divisions of 5 teams). This would allow for more divisional games and fewer lopsided crossovers.

Starting from the bottom-up...
The RED division could add Guerin and Ed's to look like...
  • Leo
  • St. Joseph
  • Marian Catholic
  • DePaul
  • Guerin Prep
  • St. Edward
A conference with 30 teams gives you a LOT more flexibility than a conference with 24 teams. I'm actually getting very excited for this even if my Aurora Christian Eagles will never be part of it.

Reactions: DigitalCy
1. Will these actually be the names of the divisions?
2. Crossovers are that you play 1 school from 4 of the other 5 divisions. The 1st tier doesn't play the 6th. The 2nd doesn't play the 4th. The 3rd doesn't play the 5th. I would have thought it would have made more sense to play all games against divisions closer in level. Such as the 6th only playing two schools from each of the 5th and 4th.
3. When they change this up in 2 years will they still base it on a combination of record and school size? I would prefer this to just be a starting point and go with straight record going forward. Would make the races more interesting if you knew certain games were to move up or down.
Great stuff.
1) I assume so but i’m just going off the article like you. I haven’t seen the press release if there was one. Sometimes the different schools’ twitter feeds have posted press releases in the past when they see fit. But I haven’t found one, though I didn’t research it too deeply.
2) is actually a great math problem. 6 not playing 1, 5 not playing 2, 4 not playing 3 and vice versa is fairer. 6 not playing 1, 5 not playing 3, and 4 not playing 2 is actually net gain for 2 and 4 albeit minimal. I wonder if they’ll switch it in 2021 and just let it go this year due to non con contracts that already have one team in 2 playing a 4.
3) Hopefully they use the same parameters in two years because like you said it would lead to some interesting year 2 matchups. Maybe one credit for a division win and a half credit to a crossover win with the other same factors they used this year could be a scenario.

Good questions though.

@DigitalCy - you make a good point. I saw the same thing (biggest schools still playing the smallest schools) and was disappointed. HOWEVER, like @RockSoup, I believe this is a significant step in the right direction! I am very encouraged.

Nevertheless, this 24 team conference with 6 divisions of 4 teams will be much more equitable in the future IF IF IF they add the six Catholic schools from the Metro Suburban:
  • Immaculate Conception
  • St. Francis
  • St Edward
  • Aurora Central
  • Bishop McNamara
  • Guerin Prep
Another good move would be 5 divisions of 6 teams (instead of 6 divisions of 5 teams). This would allow for more divisional games and fewer lopsided crossovers.

Starting from the bottom-up...
The RED division could add Guerin and Ed's to look like...
  • Leo
  • St. Joseph
  • Marian Catholic
  • DePaul
  • Guerin Prep
  • St. Edward
A conference with 30 teams gives you a LOT more flexibility than a conference with 24 teams. I'm actually getting very excited for this even if my Aurora Christian Eagles will never be part of it.
More good stuff here. But I think you’re missing how important keeping the statistical differences negligible is easier the smaller the division is. Just because a 6 teamer works for that example does not mean it would scale for the whole conference as seamlessly as your example. The key is the smaller divisions.

I understand keeping MC/BR on Rita's schedule and all, but I would advise TK not to schedule a non-conference game against either MC or BR. Just look at next year, SR has LA/Benet in their crossovers and beating Bronco-PC-ND is not a guarantee.

I thought Rita ran into heavy injury this year with a down class (just like rice from last year). For them to dodge the chance of playing Rice or Carmel because they play Bronco-PC-ND come on now.

Don't forget the game is for the kids and I can only speak for my self but the games I played against Rita were more memorable then the playoff games.

Tell the kids you want to play taft instead of rice to make sure you get to 5 wins. o_O

*I don't think that is the case anyways because scheduling JCA and Richards are two excellent schools and as rita found out this year, far from cupcakes.
But to "advise" TK to avoid a rivalry game, I couldn't disagree more with you.

The realignment looks good overall. I just wish there was a way for Mount Carmel and St. Rita to have a guaranteed meeting every season. That rivalry is CCL football at its finest and it sure felt strange not having it on this year's schedule.

The realignment looks good overall. I just wish there was a way for Mount Carmel and St. Rita to have a guaranteed meeting every season. That rivalry is CCL football at its finest and it sure felt strange not having it on this year's schedule.
I’d like to see one week of the crossovers dedicated “rivalry week”!?!?

Reactions: RockSoup and Queen4
I’d like to see one week of the crossovers dedicated “rivalry week”!?!?
That’s actually a really good idea that they should consider. Go 1 v 1, 2 v 2 etc. like this year but allow schools the ability to discuss to see if all 4 teams that would be affected by a rivalry request agree to swap.

well said, schedule inferior teams, the goal is 5 wins. I feel the four team divisions are setup some more teams can have a shot at playoffs. 2 non conference wins + sweeping conference = one path to 256

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT