ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 4?!?!?

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Lots of very odd stuff on our first weather delay/full moon weekend.

1 - That defense was optional at BR Friday.
2 - That MT Carmel does not rebuild
3 - That the Pirate ship sank the MS Swag
4 - That we do know 8A will be a beast regardless of whoever else gets moved up.
5 - That this is not your 2000’s grandparents Lake Zurich
6 - That Lockport is legit - at least they are this week.
7 - That it doesn’t matter who you play for or where you play, college coaches will find you
8 - That just once I’d like to see JCA and Loyola play. This season would be good.
9 - That, yes we need to talk more about Neuqua Valley.
10 - That Wheaton N, my goodness SCN didn’t see that coming.

That’s all folks for week 4.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Lots of very odd stuff on our first weather delay/full moon weekend.

8 - That just once I’d like to see JCA and Loyola play. This season would be good

How do we get this game? These are two hot teams in the CCL.

Last edited:
Its not LZ or NSC, its Warren <> Home of six flags 🎢... they will wait in the weeds ... while in 8A they talk about NV, BR, MS, LA, others... cold weather is coming & the kids up north are grinding. Pound the football, efficient pass game and great defense work when late Oct/Nov arrives. On to next opponent 💪🏽🎢

Its not LZ or NSC, its Warren <> Home of six flags 🎢... they will wait in the weeds ... while in 8A they talk about NV, BR, MS, LA, others... cold weather is coming & the kids up north are grinding. Pound the football, efficient pass game and great defense work when late Oct/Nov arrives. On to next opponent 💪🏽🎢
Looks like Libertyville is looking really solid this year too.

That 6A never gets talked about. But I guess with ESL there it’s a fore gone conclusion. Race to #2!

Reactions: Quags57
That 6A never gets talked about. But I guess with ESL there it’s a fore gone conclusion. Race to #2!
Cary-Grove at home vs Prairie Ridge. Not a lot of size and experience at linebackers for PR! will be the difference. Always a slug fest and not sexy football for the 2000s, just strap your helmet on and play 48 minutes. RESPECT for both !!

Reactions: SWV3499
Yah that’s a huge part of it. The feeder program they used to have isn’t quite the pipeline it used to be.
We are seeing middle schools down here go to flag football. I know those aren’t the feeder programs you speak of but the whole mindset has changed. Numbers will continue to decline.

I’m going to disagree. For a school with that many kids the demographics changes have hit some of their sports hard. 4000 kids but not all athletes by any means.
Would love to hear more on this. Looking at the report card, I'm not really seeing it. They aren't dealing with issues a lot of other schools are

We are seeing middle schools down here go to flag football. I know those aren’t the feeder programs you speak of but the whole mindset has changed. Numbers will continue to decline.
Buck it’s that and in the case of Stevenson a major change in demographic. Yes they still have a large enrollment to pull from. What they aren’t getting is the 275-300 lb lineman and a 4.5 4.6 RB/WR.

it’s been coming for a while and they are now realizing it.

• Sad
Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Would love to hear more on this. Looking at the report card, I'm not really seeing it. They aren't dealing with issues a lot of other schools are
Many of the same issues that many large suburban public schools are facing - major changes in demographics.

Reactions: Quags57
20sh years ago they were 85% white with 4000+ kids.

Today they are a shade over 50% white and
35% Asian. Still the same amount of kids but not the same amount of kids going out for sports.

Not the same demographic changes that some schools are going through but very significant changes to their overall athlete pool.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck

35% Asian. Still the same amount of kids but not the same amount of kids going out for sports.

Not the same demographic changes that some schools are going through but very significant changes to their overall athlete pool.
I get that, but they are still at over 4000 kids. You use those percentages and they are still larger than almost every high school in Illinois if you break it up

I get that, but they are still at over 4000 kids. You use those percentages and they are still larger than almost every high school in Illinois if you break it up
I think a lot gets made of the size of the school means greater talent pool. That is more myth than fact in many cases.

After a run of nearly 30 straight years of going to the playoffs, they were bound to hit a patch where they weren’t going to keep having that talent draw. This is that stretch.

Reactions: Gene K.
Buck it’s that and in the case of Stevenson a major change in demographic. Yes they still have a large enrollment to pull from. What they aren’t getting is the 275-300 lb lineman and a 4.5 4.6 RB/WR.

it’s been coming for a while and they are now realizing it.
We see the same thing here.

I've heard the same argument made about Fremd.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Week 7 JC at BR
We will know a lot more about JC after the next 3 weeks. Next week Crete-monee and week 7 rice will be the two best teams they will see all season. If Anderson is back to legit full speed they can win both of these games. If he is not full speed, they can lose both of these games.

should be two fun games.

Reactions: eireog
Reed-Custer, after years of being the dregs of the ICE / I8, looks like a real contender...4-0 according to some fans is the best start in Comet history...haven't been to the playoffs since 2009. Only one 9 win season in school history (9-2 in 1986), one 8 win season (2006), and two 7 win seasons (2005, 2008). They won the I8 Large in 2006 - Wilmington, Coal City & 3A champion Plano were all in the small division; lost to Plano, Westmont's last playoff team (2x Plano losses), & Bureau Valley (semis loser to Plano). There were 6 I8 schools in 3A that year...

But the Comets still have the sirloin of their schedule left...a hard-nosed Peotone week 5, and then Becker Field at Reents Stadium week 6 for the biggest matchup with the Wildcats in a generation...

We will know a lot more about JC after the next 3 weeks. Next week Crete-monee and week 7 rice will be the two best teams they will see all season. If Anderson is back to legit full speed they can win both of these games. If he is not full speed, they can lose both of these games.

should be two fun games.
Pretty confident I will be at this game. MC hosts Laurence. Haven't seen JC in years and seems like they are back to form. The Lausch Bowl.

Reactions: Topiary and Gene K.
We also learned that MC is one year ahead of schedule - no one thought they'd beat Rita much less Marist both on the road. Also that MC has Marist;s number in varsity football (11-0 lifetime vs Marist)

Reactions: MC2023
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT