ADVERTISEMENT

What Change in HS Football Would Surprise You the Most?

why are they considered role models???
just like professional athletes are not role models.
you make these people out to be something they are not.
literally, they are someone who spends time with your kids and teaches them a sport.

so, by your great analogy
is the school to blame because they are getting high at school?
is school to blame when your kid drives drunk to school?
is school or coach to blame when one of your players rapes a fellow student at a party?
is the school or coach to blame when one of your players gets killed in a gang fight?

you teach your kids at home how to be a good person and young adult.
typical liberal thinking. blame others.
when you get frustrated, we don't want to hear you son of a bitching anymore.

You really don't consider coaches to be role models for our student-athletes? Obviously not all coaches are great role models, but some of the coaches I had over the years are still some of my greatest role models. I would say the same thing about some of the coaches my kids have had over the years. These people are educating our kids and spending many hours with them during very formative years. I don't compare them to professional athletes in any way and I believe teachers and coaches should be held to a higher standard.

literally, they are someone who spends time with your kids and teaches them a sport.

is school or coach to blame when one of your players rapes a fellow student at a party?
is the school or coach to blame when one of your players gets killed in a gang fight?

Uh oh, be careful! Don't hurt yourself trying to define what a "role model" is!

You really don't consider coaches to be role models for our student-athletes? Obviously not all coaches are great role models, but some of the coaches I had over the years are still some of my greatest role models. I would say the same thing about some of the coaches my kids have had over the years. These people are educating our kids and spending many hours with them during very formative years. I don't compare them to professional athletes in any way and I believe teachers and coaches should be held to a higher standard.

True...and I agree to an extent that coaches and teachers are role models but the most powerful and influential role model should be parents and older siblings.

Reactions: Gene K.
The NFHS Football Rule Book, Rule 9 (conduct of players and others), Section 8 (non-contact unsportsmanlike conduct by non-players), Article 1 (using profanity, insulting or vulgar language or gestures) addresses this exact problem. As is the case before most seasons, this could be made one of the "points of emphasis" covered at the required rules interpretation meetings that coaches and officials attend each season. Additionally, the word would spread again during those customary pre-season scrimmage sessions where the officials speak to the player and coach groups about emphasized enforcements for the coming season. Just apply the rules that are in place with the prescribed consequences.

So, if a kid drops a pass and says "Shit!", this should be a penalty? I'm thinking you guys mean that the refs should have some discretion on the words being used and the context they're being used in and if they are being directed at opposing players or officials.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Foul language - nasty stuff - was not something I was around on the field.

Coaches Cussing wasn’t something shocking but it was not used for “filler words” - it was more genuine emotion, often anger at an imperfection. Rarely - but it happened - God was added before damn. That meant the coach was particularly angry.

Horse excrement was an apt descriptor used on occasion.

The one generally accepted, flippantly used terms was a Coach Schott favorite and it was a very good way to describe the duties of a stunting linebacker: Ya betta shit an’ git.

I agree with you about a higher standard. all I am trying to say. swearing or talking to be demeaning or demoralizing, yes is bad no doubt.
swearing to me is for emotion emphasizing a point. and, yes i get what you are saying about good people around you being able to shape your lives in someway. and that some can be looked up to in that format. but again, I am not seeking out a coach/program to mold my kids. that is my job. and if they get a good person in their lives along the way, that teaches values, sportsmanship and is good influence. that it is just gravy.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24

Easy big dog.
Like it or not coaches are looked up to by the kids. They have authority and the kids know this. Acting like an adult jackass in front of the kids that your supposedly teaching isn’t right. Liberal I am not, I agree parents are responsible for how their kids act and they should take responsibility but we don’t need to have idiot coach dropping F bombs as their 1st language. What type of example are they setting?

Easy big dog.
Like it or not coaches are looked up to by the kids. They have authority and the kids know this. Acting like an adult jackass in front of the kids that your supposedly teaching isn’t right. Liberal I am not, I agree parents are responsible for how their kids act and they should take responsibility but we don’t need to have idiot coach dropping F bombs as their 1st language. What type of example are they setting?

look, I do not care if kids look up to anyone. my kids were taught to make up their own minds. I know you are not liberal, my words were typical liberal thinking.

and we dont need kids smoking crack in the bathrooms what is your point. if your language is not demeaning or demoralizing who does hurt?
I don't care if you swear or not. and as I said.
swearing is used more for an emotional booster trying to get a point across.( see jackass above)
not being derogatory and/or demeaning. you can be just as bad a coach and not swear.
the only good coach is one that teaches teamwork, sportsmanship, and some good old fashion values.
I do not care how you get your point across.

look, I do not care if kids look up to anyone. my kids were taught to make up their own minds. I know you are not liberal, my words were typical liberal thinking.

and we dont need kids smoking crack in the bathrooms what is your point. if your language is not demeaning or demoralizing who does hurt?
I don't care if you swear or not. and as I said.
swearing is used more for an emotional booster trying to get a point across.( see jackass above)
not being derogatory and/or demeaning. you can be just as bad a coach and not swear.
the only good coach is one that teaches teamwork, sportsmanship, and some good old fashion values.
I do not care how you get your point across.

You don’t care. Okay but not everyone thinks like you. I bet the same coaches cursing and dropping F bombs wouldn’t do it if their parents were around.
Would those same coaches talk to a parent or another adult like that. No! All this said not all coaches act out like this and are very successful with out the profanity.
We see things a little differently but hey that’s what makes the world go around.

Reactions: go dogz
I know I'm the minority here, but I was never bothered by playing at another teams field and I played at the old SR and ESL in the playoffs. Yes the ride to ESL was an inconvenience, but the fan part of it didn't really bother me. If your fan base travels well then it shouldn't be too much of an advantage for the home team.

I know I'm the minority here, but I was never bothered by playing at another teams field and I played at the old SR and ESL in the playoffs. Yes the ride to ESL was an inconvenience, but the fan part of it didn't really bother me. If your fan base travels well then it shouldn't be too much of an advantage for the home team.
Noise is just that, noise. Most high school fans don't make a sizeable difference on the field.

Reactions: McCaravan

The biggest advantage is when a team goes somewhere for the first time, particularly when it is completely different atmosphere...I have seen teams that were clearly intimidated by the atmosphere of playing at Wilmington. Surprisingly, it wasn't Westmont or Reed-Custer, who you can tell are just expecting to get their butts kicked. My favorite was Chicago Corliss. To start, I'm thinking Corliss doesn't play on grass much. Sitting in the stands with 4 minutes to kickoff, the body language of the Corliss players as the Wildcats run into the woods at the south end of the stadium instead of the locker room was like..what? Then the Harley tunnel, with the students forming the tunnel on the field, then AC/DC & fireworks...Something tells me the Corliss kids are wondering if some kid is going to run over out of the tunnel and knife them...And then the cannon gets fired...I would assume that a similar result would happen if an I-8 school played Corliss at Gately (although the cannon fire would be outside the stadium, not inside).

To start, I'm thinking Corliss doesn't play on grass much. Sitting in the stands with 4 minutes to kickoff, the body language of the Corliss players as the Wildcats run into the woods at the south end of the stadium instead of the locker room was like..what?
o_O

I'm just going to say "Bad Wildcats" and leave it at that.

o_O

I'm just going to say "Bad Wildcats" and leave it at that.

Perhaps the Corliss players read the big sign saying "BEWARE WHAT COMES OUT OF THE WOODS"...and took it seriously...lol

The layout of Becker Field at Reents Stadium is perfect for this player pregame run-through...The old abandoned cinder track allows for the tunnel. The rest of the conference has tried ramping up their pregame run-throughs, but fireworks alone does not create a great atmosphere. Maybe Streator Bulldogs outta the Sewer Plant?

I am sorry, but teams running through an inflatable helmet always looks "cheezy" to me. Absent a tunnel, or reasonable facsimile, a dignified slow team march beats the aforementioned IMHO. See especially, LWE procession in front of the home bleachers covering the width of the track with many, many waves of players.

Reactions: penlight
Perhaps the Corliss players read the big sign saying "BEWARE WHAT COMES OUT OF THE WOODS"...and took it seriously...lol
I am sorry, but teams running through an inflatable helmet always looks "cheezy" to me. Absent a tunnel, or reasonable facsimile, a dignified slow team march beats the aforementioned IMHO. See especially, LWE procession in front of the home bleachers covering the width of the track with many, many waves of players.
You would have to see a Wilmington home game to really understand what this means.

But a Chicago public school team travelling to the middle of farmer nowhere and watching this has to have a HUGE impression.

Like they were thinking:

Before - I wonder if we are going to get out of here with a Win.

After - I wonder if we are going to get out Alive.

That's why I said "Bad Wildcats!".

Reactions: Zebra
It would surprise me (but not disappoint me), if game officials would start throwing flags for profanities heard by adults on the sidelines as they would on the athletes. In the course of a HS season, I hear a handful of obscenity incidents loud enough to carry into the bleachers. A consistency should exist between the conduct penalized against both athletes and adults for offending behaviors. No excuse exists for this language whatsoever. I sense school administrative personnel often turn a "deaf ear" toward these outbursts.

Meh, if you can't handle bad language tough break.

Reactions: Bowie50
Top teams willing to schedule and play other top teams. So far you can count on one hand the number of teams willing to play anyone.

My lil alma mater was willing to play Vista Murrieta, Calif., Tampa Plant, Hoover, Bishop Sullivan, Va., South Panola, Miss., American Heritage Plantation, and TRINITY CATHOLIC, MO.

I think the home and away playoff determination is perfect the way it is. It's one thing the IHSA has done right.

In 2015, my alma mater was forced into an equal seeded coin flip, and lost all three in round 2, 3, and 4! And in the interim, trekked some 2000 total miles in the playoffs, while ending up playing in the state title 220 miles from home, against a lower seed, who was twenty miles from home. With those obstacles to overcome, we fortunately finished our two season 30-0 run, and a national title, anyhow!

SURELY you JEST? It took an act of Congress, to keep our coach from being suspended for a YEAR! For headbutting a helmet clad player on the sidelines, with his BARE head, that required stitches! It got the player's attention though! After that occurred, the team went from a tight 21-14 lead in the second quarter, to a 52-31 rout in the 7A state semis, against a nationally ranked opponent!

Maybe THAT'S what's wrong with MY team! We don't have ANY pregame shenanigans to speak of, except touching the statue of that WILD BOAR in the endzone(a la Howard's Rock at Clemson) And running through the SAME banner all season long! But after the opening whistle, ALL bets are OFF, HIDE the women and children!:eek:

Noise is just that, noise. Most high school fans don't make a sizeable difference on the field.

I see that you haven't experienced the crowds of the LIL S E C in South Georgia? At DEATH VALLEY, in Valdosta! They have fifty rows on the homeside, and half of the visitor's stands, are season reserved for the VCATS!

Maybe THAT'S what's wrong with MY team! We don't have ANY pregame shenanigans to speak of, except touching the statue of that WILD BOAR in the endzone(a la Howard's Rock at Clemson) And running through the SAME banner all season long! But after the opening whistle, ALL bets are OFF, HIDE the women and children!:eek:
OK if I have to read 5 of your posts in a row, could you make it a little more clear who your "alma mater(s)" are.

Maybe you said, but I missed it. :cool:

You would have to see a Wilmington home game to really understand what this means.

But a Chicago public school team travelling to the middle of farmer nowhere and watching this has to have a HUGE impression.

Like they were thinking:

Before - I wonder if we are going to get out of here with a Win.

After - I wonder if we are going to get out Alive.

That's why I said "Bad Wildcats!".

ESL is going to get a lil culture shock, when they venture to SOWEGA! 5,000 season reserved seats on the homeside! Another 1500 general admission home team seating on the VISITOR'S side, where I sit! Affectionately known as the HOG POUND, which is located about twenty FEET from the opponent's bench! THEN, there is the 700 students sitting in the North endzone!

I see that you haven't experienced the crowds of the LIL S E C in South Georgia? At DEATH VALLEY, in Valdosta! They have fifty rows on the homeside, and half of the visitor's stands, are season reserved for the VCATS!
Actually, I have. My wife got her Master's from VSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT