ADVERTISEMENT

What Change in HS Football Would Surprise You the Most?

Top teams willing to schedule and play other top teams. So far you can count on one hand the number of teams willing to play anyone.

That happened in 2017. Mt. Carmel game at Gately was the only travel game that year. PC and Evangel Christian came to ESL. A very rare season.

In the summer Estl routinely travels to WWS for the Red Grange 7 on 7.

JCA printing the last name of each player on the back of their jerseys.
What?......When?......Where?.................o_O

Oh I misread you thread Title.

I read "What changes in hs football have surprised you the most"

I was significantly surprised there for a couple minutes, so I would just agree with this one.

Reactions: Wassup13
Wilmington & Manteno swapping offenses? Double wing for the pass first spread? lol

McNamara being welcomed into the new conference by Herscher, Manteno and Peotone instead of being forced into their district? apparently he** froze over...

Everyone making the playoffs...apparently he** in the polar vortex...

Reactions: Gene K.
Huntley’s acceptance to districts because there’s nothing better than a 12A team beating 6A teams to get to the 8A playoffs.

Reactions: Relist8
All 3 are a MUST- HAVE

I agree re seeding all classes, but home game and neutral sites ideas are bad news.

I like the idea of visiting schools I wouldn't get to otherwise. Further, I'd rather be at a loud and obnoxious field than some sterile third party place.

I agree re seeding all classes, but home game and neutral sites ideas are bad news.

I like the idea of visiting schools I wouldn't get to otherwise. Further, I'd rather be at a loud and obnoxious field than some sterile third party place.

I like the lower seed getting a home game for round two only. After that is should be the higher seed at home. I also don't agree with the Semis at a neutral site either unless all of the semis are played at the same location.

It would surprise me (but not disappoint me), if game officials would start throwing flags for profanities heard by adults on the sidelines as they would on the athletes. In the course of a HS season, I hear a handful of obscenity incidents loud enough to carry into the bleachers. A consistency should exist between the conduct penalized against both athletes and adults for offending behaviors. No excuse exists for this language whatsoever. I sense school administrative personnel often turn a "deaf ear" toward these outbursts.

It would surprise me (but not disappoint me), if game officials would start throwing flags for profanities heard by adults on the sidelines as they would on the athletes. In the course of a HS season, I hear a handful of obscenity incidents loud enough to carry into the bleachers. A consistency should exist between the conduct penalized against both athletes and adults for offending behaviors. No excuse exists for this language whatsoever. I sense school administrative personnel often turn a "deaf ear" toward these outbursts.

I agree but it would be tough to manage.

I agree that fan behavior should be addressed, but I have no clue how to fairly address the issue.

Flagging the stands just would not work because:
1) how do you know who's fans were swearing Home team, Away team, or just somebody from another school.
2) the Do-anything-to-win fan/dad says "watch this" and walks over to the opposing team's stands during a crucial 4th Qtr drive and just starts yelling and swearing thus drawing a Misconduct Penalty against his arch-rival.
3) even if you then left it up to the school administration to police this, then you would have to start making sure who was in your stands and turn away anybody they cannot verify.

I think we are stuck with adults acting like adults or policing themselves.

I agree that fan behavior should be addressed, but I have no clue how to fairly address the issue.

Flagging the stands just would not work because:
1) how do you know who's fans were swearing Home team, Away team, or just somebody from another school.
2) the Do-anything-to-win fan/dad says "watch this" and walks over to the opposing team's stands during a crucial 4th Qtr drive and just starts yelling and swearing thus drawing a Misconduct Penalty against his arch-rival.
3) even if you then left it up to the school administration to police this, then you would have to start making sure who was in your stands and turn away anybody they cannot verify.

I think we are stuck with adults acting like adults or policing themselves.
Excuse my lack of clarity, but I was really mainly referring to coaches (not necessarily Head Coaches) as the most frequent sideline offenders of bad language.

Excuse my lack of clarity, but I was really mainly referring to coaches (not necessarily Head Coaches) as the most frequent sideline offenders of bad language.
It's football....people swear occasionally.

It's football....people swear occasionally.

They shouldn’t be doing it at all, it slips occasionally and I understand that but the amount of swearing by some coaches is truly embarrassing for the kids and the school at large.

If highest seed is home, why a neutral site for semi?
Just saying option 1 would be higher seed always host. They earned it. A neutral semi would be acceptable if made into an event type deal and atmosphere

They shouldn’t be doing it at all, it slips occasionally and I understand that but the amount of swearing by some coaches is truly embarrassing for the kids and the school at large.
Something that school admins should be handling, not referees. Kick the coaches out? Sure, but don't penalize the kids for their idiot "adult" coaches' actions .

I think the home and away playoff determination is perfect the way it is. It's one thing the IHSA has done right.

Reactions: RockSoup
Oops! It was way more clear when I went back and reread your post (my bad).

But I agree with sideline personnel being held accountable for being bad examples. I am still not sure throwing flags is the best way, where that could easily effect the game outcome.

Something that school admins should be handling, not referees. Kick the coaches out? Sure, but don't penalize the kids for their idiot "adult" coaches' actions .

A lot of it is directed at referees

Yes, I understand that.

If a kid throws profanity’s in the class or in the front office he or she would get a suspension. Coaches, Assistant coaches etc get warned or the worst case flagged or thrown out of the game. Their adults and role models for the players and kids. It is embarrassing. Maybe a rule that states if a any coach uses profanity on the field during a game they are subject to being thrown out. 1 warning per sideline then ejections start. Maybe that would grab their attention. By the way you all know the coaches are 10 times worse at practices. Adults should act like adults around the kids.

If a kid throws profanity’s in the class or in the front office he or she would get a suspension. Coaches, Assistant coaches etc get warned or the worst case flagged or thrown out of the game. Their adults and role models for the players and kids. It is embarrassing. Maybe a rule that states if a any coach uses profanity on the field during a game they are subject to being thrown out. 1 warning per sideline then ejections start. Maybe that would grab their attention. By the way you all know the coaches are 10 times worse at practices. Adults should act like adults around the kids.
Not sure why I'm being quoted as I did not disagree with anything other than that a team should get penalized if the coach swears. Kick them out and/or report to admin. Kids should absolutely be penalized though

Ehhh I don't know about the swearing. The kids are worse than the coaches. Right or wrong, that is just how it is. Also, I do believe there is a difference between swearing and swearing AT someone. Anything aggressive or towards someone should have a consequence. If it's just in conversation or to make a point, I don't have an issue with it. I'm in the minority, but I don't buy the whole "field is an extension of the classroom" idea for conduct. To me, it's not. It's a sport, it's aggressive, and sometimes language is used.

Now of course there are plenty of coaches with styles that don't use language. That's fine. Whatever works. But if we're just talking about some colorful language that is used out of frustration or to motivate? I would move on.

bhwaaaahahahaha, show me ONE KID on the sideline embarrassed by someone swearing. the swear all day long in the halls.
you are not talking about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th , 5th graders. grow up people swear. it is not like you are so damn offended by bad language. but forget about it and then go out use it yourself.
all of you hypocrites. I never want to hear you guys swear anywhere on this planet.
please these kids do not have virgin ears. and neither do the refs. and do not tell me you have school codes or any this crap. because the from the top down, they all swear. and do much worse things in throughout the halls of these schools. please whining crybabies...

bhwaaaahahahaha, show me ONE KID on the sideline embarrassed by someone swearing. the swear all day long in the halls.
you are not talking about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th , 5th graders. grow up people swear. it is not like you are so damn offended by bad language. but forget about it and then go out use it yourself.
all of you hypocrites. I never want to hear you guys swear anywhere on this planet.
please these kids do not have virgin ears. and neither do the refs. and do not tell me you have school codes or any this crap. because the from the top down, they all swear. and do much worse things in throughout the halls of these schools. please whining crybabies...

It’s all about discipline and culture if that’s the way you want to run your program go ahead but results will show themselves on the field.

(Besides Districts)

what they should absolutely start doing is policing the entries. if you smell weed or alcohol on any person they should be turned away immediately. if a kid in the school detained.
this is what leads to most incidents in the stands or altercations. and this should be for ALL sports.
this tailgating crap that goes on is ridiculous. all it does is show the younger crowds that it is ok to go drink in the parking lot, or come to game stoned, or loaded yell and scream get nuts. and yeah most of all you are showing young adults with their new driver licenses that it is ok to drive your drunk asses home after the games. start policing the grounds.

The teams that don't swear are the best academic schools in the state.

Obviously these schools have learned a larger vocabulary.

Not sure why I'm being quoted as I did not disagree with anything other than that a team should get penalized if the coach swears. Kick them out and/or report to admin. Kids should absolutely be penalized though

PowerI66
I think we’re on the same page here. I think coaches should be held to a higher standard. They are supposedly role models for our players and students. People trying to say the kids curse worse than the coaches are just trying to justify something that is wrong. Kids are going to curse if they see an adult throwing profanity out like it’s their first language.
The coaches should be embarrassed.

PowerI66
I think we’re on the same page here. I think coaches should be held to a higher standard. They are supposedly role models for our players and students. People trying to say the kids curse worse than the coaches are just trying to justify something that is wrong. Kids are going to curse if they see an adult throwing profanity out like it’s their first language.
The coaches should be embarrassed.

why are they considered role models???
just like professional athletes are not role models.
you make these people out to be something they are not.
literally, they are someone who spends time with your kids and teaches them a sport.

so, by your great analogy
is the school to blame because they are getting high at school?
is school to blame when your kid drives drunk to school?
is school or coach to blame when one of your players rapes a fellow student at a party?
is the school or coach to blame when one of your players gets killed in a gang fight?

you teach your kids at home how to be a good person and young adult.
typical liberal thinking. blame others.
when you get frustrated, we don't want to hear you son of a bitching anymore.

It’s all about discipline and culture if that’s the way you want to run your program go ahead but results will show themselves on the field.

this I whole heartedly agree with you. if your demeanor on the sideline is lack of discipline then the team will be undisciplined.
but, I am saying don't blame a coach/school/team for teaching your kid how to swear or lose his/her cool because his role model is standing on a sideline. that was learned long before that.
and that role model should be the parent(s)/family/guardian(s).
they learn a lot more at home than you think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT