ADVERTISEMENT

What State Title Game Intrigues You the Most?

I’m intrigued by 1A. Small town schools with community kids. This is the 18th time in the last 20 years the NUIC has been in the final. 7 straight years.

Fun way to start and otherwise boring weekend.

Reactions: McEvergreen
IMO, LWE is the best team and LA, MC, and ESL are a smidge behind with LA just ahead of those two. But, the margins between all of them are probably very small and in a one game sample, anything could happen. Based on how I suspect next week will go and with the other games already played, I‘d rank it LWE, LA, MC, ESL. I hope I’m wrong about the way 8A goes but I doubt I am.

Reactions: corey90
This is very much a biased answer but I’m super excited for Naz/JCA. Rivals who are very familiar with each other but haven’t met in a few years thanks to conference merging and restructuring. They’ve had some barn burners over the years and have such contrasting styles. It was said to be down years for both but here they are in the title game.

Nothing but respect for JCA, first time meeting in the title, should be a fun way to start Saturday’s slate.

Last edited:
1976. won in a sub zero OT thriller. Lost by 6 in 79 to a stacked NFL laden ESL team. Vikes were driving at the end to tie it or win it but turned it over
I remember watching St Laurence in the finals back then. It was very cold with icy patches all over the field.

True. But the way MC is playing right now, the Caravan would beat both of them.
Nope! East is playing lights out! 6 points allowed in the playoffs. Allowed 6 points to a team that MS gave up 42 and 500 yards passing. East has proven they have a defense that can shut the run down and can shut down a passing offense. I respect MC and believe they are a great team, but I don’t think MC would beat East. It would be a great game that unfortunately won’t be played. The 8A title game will be for the best team in the state in my Opinion. 👍

Again it’s another homer pick from me but JCA vs Naz has a lot to it. When Naz first beat JCA it’s when I knew they had finally arrived that a state championship could be possible for my beloved Roadrunners. Now here we are playing each other for a possible 5th Title. Not only that but it quite possibly could mean the first and maybe only 5 loss champion in history. What a story that would be. But again I’m pretty biased.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
Nope! East is playing lights out! 6 points allowed in the playoffs. Allowed 6 points to a team that MS gave up 42 and 500 yards passing. East has proven they have a defense that can shut the run down and can shut down a passing offense. I respect MC and believe they are a great team, but I don’t think MC would beat East. It would be a great game that unfortunately won’t be played. The 8A title game will be for the best team in the state in my Opinion. 👍
Put down the cool aid my friend, the (B)east would get beat by atleast 3 touchdowns or more against thee ol’ caravan!!

Last edited:
1A Lena/CampPoint - Lena showed some vulnerability in the semis, rematch from last year
2A I think Wilmington should win unless they self destruct
3A somewhat interesting with Byron being a beast, but Mt.Carmel the Public is putting up huge numbers on offense
4A I’d like to see Larry make it interesting, but will be Rochester without much resistance
5A Naz/JCA… will we see the first ever 5 loss champ? Rooting for the Joliet area
6A ESL gets revenge for the shocking upset a couple years ago
7A Caravan easily
8A Loyola in a close game

Clown:

I agree. The West Suburban is a "very special" conference and DGN is a "very special" team with a "very special" class.

I foresee a "very special" 7A title game.

special-well-isnt-that-special.gif

Reactions: MWittman
I hate to agree but I think you’re right about the 2 close ones and much to my dismay one of them will be the 5a game. I’m still hoping for 4 1st place trophies for the mighty CCL/ESCC conference but that is a tall task with only one being truly guaranteed.

Reactions: GoBlers
I hate to agree but I think you’re right about the 2 close ones and much to my dismay one of them will be the 5a game. I’m still hoping for 4 1st place trophies for the mighty CCL/ESCC conference but that is a tall task with only one being truly guaranteed.
No guarantees!!!

People saying ESL going to blow out CG… remember the last time that happened. I don’t think this ESL team is better than their 2021 team. But battle did throw that game winning interception against CG, so he’s trying to get his revenge…but he also plays offense not defense

I watched the last final between the two schools in person. I sat on the ESL side. I never sit near the kids or the parents. I always try to sit near the oldest fans. The older guys supporting ESL would start calling out CG's pass plays. Every time ESL would overload the box they would just throw a pass to an open receiver. I thought ESL had better talent on the field but CG just didn't make a lot of mistakes or take many penalties. By the end of the game ESL linemen looked a little gassed. I thought ESL had a chance to pull it out but time ran out. 37-36 and it was a very good game. Tough loss for ESL because I thought every touch they had could have gone al the way.

If CG plays the same offense it's a very big contrast in styles. If ESL plays error/penalty free they will win.

Last edited:
Cary grove played a perfect game in 2021 against ESL. teams are going to be more talented than CG, but the discipline and toughness the kids are taught at CG is what prepares them against very talented teams like ESL. Coach seaburg knows they’re going to have to hold on to the ball and chew up that clock. Every time CG has gone to the final they’ve had a very good fullback that will get you 3-4 tough yards everytime, and that’s the case again with this team. I wouldn’t be surprised if ESL wins vise versa with CG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT