ADVERTISEMENT

We're 17th! (and you're not)

My intention for this thread was to counterbalance threads that were created to boast about one team as a way to backhand slap another. The creator and thread contributors seemed to have a "goal" with that rhetoric.

So I created this thread - put the spotlight directly on ESL and their accomplishments.

In hindsight, I should have made it a two-team spotlight thread and gone with the angle of TWO IL TEAMS IN USA TODAY TOP 25!!!

The "and you're not" - I added that because the above-mentioned threads pissed me off quite a bit.

And to anyone who bemoans only 17th in the nation, shoot, you can only wish. Look at the few number of states on that list ... for IL to have two reps, be happy and proud ... don't be jealous.

We were #2 and we fully destroyed #3. Relatively speaking, LWE, wasn't that impressive against #4.
This is your logic? How do you know number 4 against LWE wouldn't destroy number 3 against MC? This is an absolutely silly argument to make. You sound like a HS kid.

My intention for this thread was to counterbalance threads that were created to boast about one team as a way to backhand slap another. The creator and thread contributors seemed to have a "goal" with that rhetoric.

So I created this thread - put the spotlight directly on ESL and their accomplishments.

In hindsight, I should have made it a two-team spotlight thread and gone with the angle of TWO IL TEAMS IN USA TODAY TOP 25!!!

The "and you're not" - I added that because the above-mentioned threads pissed me off quite a bit.

And to anyone who bemoans only 17th in the nation, shoot, you can only wish. Look at the few number of states on that list ... for IL to have two reps, be happy and proud ... don't be jealous.

Ah...I didn't realize it was a shot at those claiming LWE is better than ESL.

Carry on.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
This is your logic? How do you know number 4 against LWE wouldn't destroy number 3 against MC? This is an absolutely silly argument to make. You sound like a HS kid.

You sound like that former wrestling coach now working in DC. Lots of noise doesn't support you.

Yeah, but LWE won 8A, so their title holds greater significance by the MC63 scale of accomplishment.

We play in 7A … right where we should be. Unlike some schools represented on this board, we don't coast through a playoff schedule of lesser programs.

Nor do we use some cheap excuse like "our conference won't let us play up,' The premier program in a league should have actual leverage.

Your cheap shot fell short.

Last edited:
We play in 7A … right where we should be. Unlike some schools represented on this board, we don't coast through a playoff schedule of lesser programs.

Nor do we use some cheap excuse like "our conference won't let us play up,' The premier program in a league should have actual leverage.

I never realized that being “compliant” with the law could be viewed as anything other than honorable. Especially when previous actions taken prove otherwise, before the legislative measure ensued. But, WTH do I know?

I’m here to learn. Please keep professing.

Damned if we do, damned if we don’t. SMH

Last edited:

You are really proving your mental state.

You can play 8A at any time right?

I never realized that being “compliant” with the law could be viewed as anything other than honorable. Especially when previous actions taken prove otherwise, before the legislative measure ensued. But, WTH do I know?

I’m here to learn. Please keep professing.

Damned if we do, damned if we don’t. SMH

Conference rules on playoffs aren't exactly "the law." Get real.

Conference rules on playoffs aren't exactly "the law." Get real.

I’m really trying to “Get real” by learning from you. What should the Flyers have done? Tell me all about petitioning to play up, seeing that you have so much experience.

Reactions: mchsalumni
I can't necessarily fault ESL for not opting up given the conference rules, especially considering they are one of, I think, three schools to have utilized the option in football. I did however previously ask what the consequence would be if they were to break that rule.

You are saying ESL should hold sway in the conference BECAUSE of their success? That’s imbecilic and naive.[/QUOTE]

Holding "sway" in you conference is being realistic. With all those records, you should have more than just a bit of influence.

I can't necessarily fault ESL for not opting up given the conference rules, especially considering they are one of, I think, three schools to have utilized the option in football. I did however previously ask what the consequence would be if they were to break that rule.

Great question.

MC scores exactly 3 points against LWE

If you had bothered to see the game, you wouldn't be saying that. They could have beaten anyone that night, even IMG and those California teams. You're just mad because they beat Montini. And then they kept on winning and getting better, playing their best game of the year in the final contest.

Last edited:
If you had bothered to see the game, you wouldn't be saying that. They could have beaten anyone that night, even IGA and those California teams. You're just mad because they beat Montini. They then kept winning and kept getting better, playing their best game of the year in the final contest.

I hope they could beat IGA. I'm pretty sure it's a grocery store.

I get the Trib and the NYT online.
I get the Trib, Sun Times and our local Herald News daily. I see the USA Today three or four times a week. I always get the Friday Weekend edition. I get the Wall Street Journal once in a while but I get it every Saturday. I think that's their best edition. Every once in a great while when I really need to read some fiction, I get the NYT on a Saturday. But I get fiction daily in the Sun Times news section.

Reactions: Gene K.
If you had bothered to see the game, you wouldn't be saying that. They could have beaten anyone that night, even IGA and those California teams. You're just mad because they beat Montini. They then kept winning and kept getting better, playing their best game of the year in the final contest.

I'm not mad about anything. Just because I saw a decent team who SHOULD beat Montini 9 out of 10 times throw up a pretty average game should not be a surprise. They also looked decent in the two other games I saw but hardly world beaters. You guys keep pressing this team as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I saw a pretty decent team but this ain't even close to the best team in the state. If it is the best team in the state, we are pretty much screwed in terms of football capability. Sorry, not sorry?

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT