ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Semifinal Saturday Redzone Idea

DJrodey24

Nov 3, 2003
I have pitched this for years and I build it out people could see what this could look like.

Think of whipping around from game to game to see what's happening around the state, potential upsets, fabulous finishes, expert analysis on what their watching. Friday night dynamite appetizer in Frankfort. Ramblers start us off, they get the 20 minute exclusive. Loyola doesn't have lights, otherwise the window typically is like 2pm to 9pm, with a game featured in prime time. So slide it back earlier. Batavia Mt Carmel the feature game being the last of the night. A mixture of city and downstate feature windows.

Occasionally we hand it to on-site announcers when available and if they're good enough.

• *NFL Redzone
  • *March Madness
  • *Manningcast

All in one. I always tinker with the times, don't want to confuses schools in communicating their start time to much or I would stagger them even more. The idea is so that you get to watch every game finish statewide if it's close (just like March Madness)

I do this for the IHSA Basketball SuperSectionals too. It's fun!

I thought I'd share this years version and I ask you a simple question and be honest with yourself: Would you watch this?

2023 - IHSA FOOTBALL STATE SERIES - SEMIFINAL WEEKEND BROADCAST COVERAGE (PROPOSED)

I have pitched this for years and I build it out people could see what this could look like.

Think of whipping around from game to game to see what's happening around the state, potential upsets, fabulous finishes, expert analysis on what their watching. Friday night dynamite appetizer in Frankfort. Ramblers start us off, they get the 20 minute exclusive. Loyola doesn't have lights, otherwise the window typically is like 2pm to 9pm, with a game featured in prime time. So slide it back earlier. Batavia Mt Carmel the feature game being the last of the night. A mixture of city and downstate feature windows.

Occasionally we hand it to on-site announcers when available and if they're good enough.

• *NFL Redzone
  • *March Madness
  • *Manningcast

All in one. I always tinker with the times, don't want to confuses schools in communicating their start time to much or I would stagger them even more. The idea is so that you get to watch every game finish statewide if it's close (just like March Madness)

I do this for the IHSA Basketball SuperSectionals too. It's fun!

I thought I'd share this years version and I ask you a simple question and be honest with yourself: Would you watch this?

2023 - IHSA FOOTBALL STATE SERIES - SEMIFINAL WEEKEND BROADCAST COVERAGE (PROPOSED)
Fun idea, but what about those games that aren't being broadcast on your link? Is it just an update on what's going on from the studio?

My biggest issue with the IHSA and the state title games is the quality of product they put out. It's hard enough to get good coverage of 8 championships, let alone 16 semi's.

The mispronouncing names or not knowing players isn't the biggest issue in my eyes, it's more about only having a few cameras, announcers who don't know the rules, or are confused about why a call was made. I see games broadcast from other states, Iowa for example, when their games have been on Marquee have looked like a college level production. Why the IHSA doesn't broadcast more playoff games is a completely different discussion.

You mentioned previously you'll be doing LZ/CG and their won't be a robo cam and people will know the score and clock situation, which is great. That being said, if you know these are issues that NFHS has then why give them exclusive rights for playoff games and make schools pay if they choose to broadcast outside of NFHS?

Fun idea, but what about those games that aren't being broadcast on your link? Is it just an update on what's going on from the studio?

My biggest issue with the IHSA and the state title games is the quality of product they put out. It's hard enough to get good coverage of 8 championships, let alone 16 semi's.

The mispronouncing names or not knowing players isn't the biggest issue in my eyes, it's more about only having a few cameras, announcers who don't know the rules, or are confused about why a call was made. I see games broadcast from other states, Iowa for example, when their games have been on Marquee have looked like a college level production. Why the IHSA doesn't broadcast more playoff games is a completely different discussion.

You mentioned previously you'll be doing LZ/CG and their won't be a robo cam and people will know the score and clock situation, which is great. That being said, if you know these are issues that NFHS has then why give them exclusive rights for playoff games and make schools pay if they choose to broadcast outside of NFHS?
They’ll all have video. We can follow along. To be honest, I’m not as familiar w downstate crews who will set up shop and the NFHS picks up the feed. But everything from all 16 games would be able to be seen live.

They’ll all have video. We can follow along. To be honest, I’m not as familiar w downstate crews who will set up shop and the NFHS picks up the feed. But everything from all 16 games would be able to be seen live.
If you have 16 NFHS broadcast, 4 will be offline on a good day.

Reactions: 4Afan
The IHSA likes the idea, it's been the television partners in the past that haven't. Weigel is intrigued, but I can't say for sure if they'd ever take it up. You'll have to do the math on the undertaking it would take. That's a LOT of hours in a control room for some people. A full game production on Friday night, another full game production on Saturday night, and managing the feed of potentially 10-12 games being played at the same time with the ability to bounce around. Oh, there has to be a promotional push for a full week leading up, plus people have to watch. Can't snap a finger and make all that happen at this level.

It would be incredibly tricky to try. Plus, the logistics of controlling all the start times across the IHSA has 32 AD's and coaches asking a LOT of questions. Fans complaining about a random start time. Someone is going to complain about the window they get put in. You know how this trickles down.

So no, the IHSA isn't too cheap. It's not their money to spend. But someday.

The IHSA likes the idea, it's been the television partners in the past that haven't. Weigel is intrigued, but I can't say for sure if they'd ever take it up. You'll have to do the math on the undertaking it would take. That's a LOT of hours in a control room for some people. A full game production on Friday night, another full game production on Saturday night, and managing the feed of potentially 10-12 games being played at the same time with the ability to bounce around. Oh, there has to be a promotional push for a full week leading up, plus people have to watch. Can't snap a finger and make all that happen at this level.

It would be incredibly tricky to try. Plus, the logistics of controlling all the start times across the IHSA has 32 AD's and coaches asking a LOT of questions. Fans complaining about a random start time. Someone is going to complain about the window they get put in. You know how this trickles down.

So no, the IHSA isn't too cheap. It's not their money to spend. But someday.
Soooo, here's this cool idea and then here's the reality of why the IHSA doesn't have the capability, personnel, funding, advertisers, dedication, marketing, or desire to actually pull it off.

Thanks for the tease, I guess.

Reactions: McEvergreen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT