ADVERTISEMENT

The Autumn 2021 CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week IX

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
The final week is here!
It's also (almost certainly) the final game for Coach Cogs - Mark Coglianese - head coach of the Celtics for 16 years - one state championship and one hell of a nice guy. Sat with him at a baseball game a few years back and you couldn't imagine a nicer gentleman. Of course the rest of the league isn't looking forward to facing a Plantz again. Cheers Cogs!

BR @ M
neutral field
[2021] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 35, [2021] Marist (Chicago, IL) 28

LA @ MC
neutral field
[2021] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 34, [2021] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 21

SR @ ND
neutral field
[2021] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 28, [2021] Notre Dame (Niles, IL) 8

B @ Naz
neutral field
[2021] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 26, [2021] Benet Academy (Lisle, IL) 17

PC @ SL
neutral field
[2021] Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) 17, [2021] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 14

JC @ MCHS
neutral field
[2021] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 44, [2021] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 14

SP @ SV
neutral field
[2021] St. Patrick (Chicago, IL) 24, [2021] St. Viator (Arlington Heights, IL) 19

Marian, Heights @ CoM
neutral field
[2021] Carmel (Mundelein, IL) 31, [2021] Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights, IL) 30

Marian, Sticks @ DP
neutral field
[2021] Marian Central Catholic (Woodstock, IL) 38, [2021] DePaul College Prep (Chicago, IL) 21

Leo @ Rich
neutral field
[2021] Rich Township (Olympia Fields, IL) 31, [2021] Leo (Chicago, IL) 26

DLS @ MA
neutral field
[2021] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 34, [2021] De La Salle (Chicago, IL) 8

F @ SI
neutral field
[2021] St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) 24, [2021] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 21

Brother Rice 31 Marist 27: Has all the makings of a special game.

Loyola 31 Mount Carmel 17: Loyola is just a bit much for Mount Carmel this season

Saint Rita 28 Notre Dame 14: Ponies do not feel threatened at any point.

Nazareth 40 Benet 20: Naz seems to have things coming together at the right time.

Providence 20 Saint Laurence 16: The Celtics send Coach Cogs out with a W

Joliet Catholic 49 Montini 7: Do not think for a second that a lot of these Hilltoppers aren't taking this game personally after years of watching their older friends and brothers take many Montini beatdowns. Sure, they stopped the bleeding 3 years ago with a title, but it didn't end there.

Saint Pat's 34 Saint Viator 32: Can the Shamrocks end their long playoff drought? This could be a low key very good game. I'm giving the Shamrocks the edge in that they are playing for all the marbles.

Carmel 28 Marian of the Heights 24: Taking the Corsairs simply because the Spartans have a long drive with nothing on the line

Marian of the Sticks 27 Gordon Tech 15: Marian just has a few more horses than the Rams

Rich 33 Leo 22: Going with the Raptors simply because they are playing for something

Marmion 42 De La Salle 13: Marmion getting a great "get right" game for playoff prep

Fenwick 31 Saint Ignatius 28: Taking Fenwick strictly because they have a few more dynamic athletes. Going to be a great game!

With LA/MC, BR/Marist and Fenwick/Iggy, arguments can be made for three GOTWs. What a fun way to end the year.

Marist +7 vs Brother Rice [Brother Rice wins a shootout 45-41]
Loyola -13 vs Mount Carmel [Loyola suffocates the Caravan 31-13]

ND +20 vs Rita [Defensive slug fest, Rita wins 14-0]
Benet +9 vs Naz [Naz wins by a late FG to get in the playoffs]

Providence -3 vs St. Laurence [Providence wins by two TDs. Will they play in the Prep Bowl?]
Montini +30 vs JCA [JCA takes a big early lead, then cruises to a 42-21 win]

St. Patrick -5 vs St. Viator [Lions come close to playing the spoilers, Shamrocks sneak into the playoffs where they may get to beat up on a CPS school or two in 5A]
Marian +1 vs CoM [I ask again...how did Carmel beat Lake Forest?]

MCC -17 vs DePaul [MCC has to be getting tired of the long bus drives. DePaul has to figure things out.]
Rich -5 vs Leo [The Lions showed some promise this year, but a 1A school playing the likes of Montini & Naz just isn't right. Rich sneaks in the playoffs.]

Marmion -24 vs DLS [The Cadets are my dark horse 5A team. Only lost to Iggy by 4 & Fenwick by 7. This team can win state.]
Iggy -3 vs Fenwick [Iggy's defensive prowess wins out, Wolfpack win 21-7 & might meet ESL in the 6A championship if they can get by Cary-Grove.]

Jca has key players dinged up, the montini game is gonna be alot tougher than people think, can't play the game on paper!🧐🤷

Reactions: ignazio
100 percent agree. Montini is very motivated and JC is far from 100 percent.

all the ingredients are there for a very close game. I know JC will play to win with who is healthy. The question becomes who exactly is healthy.

while I’d love to beat montini, if it means a few of the key guys aren’t geared up by round 2 or so of the playoffs. I’d rather take my chances by resting some guys who are on the “slightly dinged up, could play, but could benefit from a week or two of rest” category. If we have any guys at that level, I hope they are rested.

will be interesting to see.

Reactions: pjjp and rjjtwest
How is it week 9 already? On one side I am sad to see the season fly by, on the other I am excited for playoff football. We haven’t had too many 5+ page threads this season but the playoffs never disappoint. Here are my picks and as always, if you’re playing with real money I’d suggest doing the exact opposite…

BR -7
MC +13 - Both teams playoff qualified, nothing left to play for, rest the starters and let the subs get some run in this game. What do you say Bowie?

SR -20
Naz -9

PC -3
Montini +30

Pat’s -5
COM -1

DePaul +17
Leo +5

Marmion -26
Fenwick +3

100 percent agree. Montini is very motivated and JC is far from 100 percent.

all the ingredients are there for a very close game. I know JC will play to win with who is healthy. The question becomes who exactly is healthy.

while I’d love to beat montini, if it means a few of the key guys aren’t geared up by round 2 or so of the playoffs. I’d rather take my chances by resting some guys who are on the “slightly dinged up, could play, but could benefit from a week or two of rest” category. If we have any guys at that level, I hope they are rested.

will be interesting to see.
Everyone is dinged up. Depth makes a difference.

Being dinged up is one thing, having 4 of your best players out for the game is another thing. Not sure anyone is arguing that depth makes a difference. Luckily, as we saw last week, JC had enough depth last week to beat benet by 3 TD's without the above mentioned four players.
Here we go

And everyone says Naz is the INP, haven’t heard a peep from them this year. Meanwhile other posse’s are forming.

Reactions: Bowie50
Fenwick vs Ignatius might be the game of the week. Iggy going for the perfect regular season. I’m sure they’re looking at the beating they took back in April from Fenwick. Given their success and impressive defense this season. I’m taking iggy by 24.

We’re lying in the weeds. Still licking our wounds from the ridiculous losses earlier.
If Naz can get by Benet, I'd like to see a Naz/Fenwick matchup sometime in the 5A playoffs. Could be very interesting.

Reactions: scrapper329
Marist 27 BR 20: Marist gets it done.

Loyola 28 Mount Carmel 17: Loyola has a bit too much for MC

Saint Rita 35 Notre Dame 0: Haven't seen either team play. Just going on season results. Don't see ND scoring here.

Nazareth 28 Benet 24: Originally was thinking Benet here. After looking at results for both teams, I think Naz wins a close one.

Providence 24 Saint Laurence 14: Maybe the toughest game to pick. Gonna go with Providence as they at least have a quality win over Fenwick. SL really hasn't beaten a good team.

Joliet Catholic 49 Montini 10: JCA rolls. Realize they may not be completely healthy with their studs but Montini should be prepared to get a beatdown.

Saint Pat's 35 Saint Viator 14: Shamrocks make Cole Kmet say "Lions...WTH happened?"

Marian 35 Carmel 24: Carmel giving up a lot of points the last few games. Don't see that changing.

Marian of the Sticks 28 Depaul 13: Don't know either team.

Rich Township 24 Leo Lions 6: Score is proportionate to football enrollment.

Marmion 28 De La Salle 12: Marmion wins. TOs will dictate if they cover.

Fenwick 35 Saint Ignatius 14: Have seen both of these teams in person. Iggy is having a magical season but I am not convinced they are as good as their ranking says. Outside of Marmion and MC, the schedule has been soft. Too much speed on Fenwick team which I think will be the difference.

Marist 7

I actually think this game will be a blowout either way. I’ll lean toward taking the points.

Mount Carmel 13

St. Rita -20

NAZ -9

PC -3. Cheers to Cogs a former St. Christina man

JC -30

SP -5

CoM -1

DePaul 17

Leo 5

DLS 26

Fenwick 3. I think this will be the GOTW

are people really that down on Montini? I know it’s been a rough year, but I still don’t envision beating them by anywhere near 30, particularly with a depleted Hill roster.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them pull it off Friday.

are people really that down on Montini? I know it’s been a rough year, but I still don’t envision beating them by anywhere near 30, particularly with a depleted Hill roster.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them pull it off Friday.
They are small and really not that good this year.

They have got some skill players but I can't disagree with you. Montini has beat JCA a few times in the past, this game is not going to be one of them.
Montini’s coaches have forgotten more than I’ll ever know about football. I don’t want to be that guy but it seemed like they can’t really decide who or what they want to be. Their QB is a good player and very accurate, their RB is an absolute load, they’ve got a great bubble guy in #9, an excellent utility player in #23 (slot, split, jet etc) and what looks like a very solid split in #25. They had no identity against Naz. They were killing Naz in the spread run game with #6 and they mysteriously went away from it. They did a great job mixing in #23 and getting the edge occasionally and really hurt Naz in the bubble game but instead of putting it all together they would go away from things, run read option stuff (not your QB’s game) and try to throw downfield to #14 (he’ll be a star in time) and imo that led to a very inefficient second half. Things just kinda reeked of dysfunction and I can’t say I understand why but let me reiterate… I definitely don’t know more than their coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT