ADVERTISEMENT

The World Famous CCL-ESCC Predictions 2023 Week 14

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
We made it! All the way to Week 14 - and no one strangled one another. Yet. A reminder not to bring up unsettling topics at the Thanksgiving dinner such as zip codes, transfers, multipliers, etc. Best to just stick to easier topics like Hamas, Gaza, refugees and the like. A special thanks to the Mustangs, Vikes, 'Runners, 'Toppers, Caravan and Ramblers for perfectly spacing out these games this weekend. Protip: completely abrogate control of the remote on Thanksgiving. If you have any Lions, Cowboy or Egg Bowl fans around, let them flap their wings. Once Friday comes, it's all yours.

Prep Bowl
Chicago (St Rita) (7-5) vs. Chicago (Kenwood) (7-4) at Chicago (Fritz Pollard Field at Lane Stadium), Fri., Nov. 24, 1:00 pm LINK
Mustangs 42 Broncos 7
4A
Burbank (St. Laurence) (10-3) vs. Rochester (13-0) at Normal (Hancock Stadium), Fri., Nov. 24, 7:00 pm
Rockets 42 Vikings 28
5A
LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy) (8-5) vs. Joliet (Catholic Academy) (10-3) at Normal (Hancock Stadium), Sat., Nov. 25, 10:00 am
Hilltoppers 35 Roadrunners 14
7A
Downers Grove (North) (11-2) vs. Chicago (Mt. Carmel) (12-1) at Normal (Hancock Stadium), Sat., Nov. 25, 4:00 pm
Caravan 41 Trojans 12
8A
Wilmette (Loyola Academy) (13-0) vs. Frankfort (Lincoln-Way East) (13-0) at Normal (Hancock Stadium), Sat., Nov. 25, 7:00 pm
Ramblers 28 Griffins 14

Kenwood - St. Rita wins but its too many points. I think if Rita get a good lead everyone in the school gets snaps.

St Laurence with the points. Rochester should win easily on paper but Laurence is peaking at the right time.

Nazareth with the points.

MC is on a mission since the loss to Loyola. No mercy on DGN.

LWE with the points

St. Rita has 4 regular season opponents in the finals. Wishing them all the best.

I want to give a shutout to Coach Hopkins and everyone else in the program for continuing the tradition of playing in the Prep Bowl. The sprit shown by the team after he win against Marist showed me that the kids were not just going thru the motions. Tradition never graduates!

Last edited:
Question for Catholic HS (Joliet) followers: Is RB Washington healthy and getting enough rushes in the playoffs?
Washington is the WR. I believe he has always been at full health or close to it. Grigsby is at RB. He may have been dinged up a while back. Has not missed any games, but taken some lumps. He was able to run like 30 times for about 150 yards against PC. He wasn't used much against Morris. Other RB went off for over 200 yards, 3 rushing TDs and a 76 yard TD reception. So I am not sure if Grigsby was dinged up that game or just not needed with Farnaus coming to the front. He seemed more than healthy with 30 touches against PC.

Truthfully, while Grigsby is very fast, the best part of the last 5-6 weeks is seeing that they have about 3-4 junior running backs and fullbacks that can get the short yardage. It will be best against Naz if they don't need to give Grigsby 25 plus touches. He is dangerous in space and they have some other guys proving dangerous in the tackle box. If they can keep that balance in mind, it will be good for them. And Washington is one of the better receivers we have seen come through the school. I have often thought that Washington and Grigsby both lined up as wideouts or slot receivers would be a matchup nightmare for just about any team.

Reactions: RockSoup
Washington is the WR. I believe he has always been at full health or close to it. Grigsby is at RB. He may have been dinged up a while back. Has not missed any games, but taken some lumps. He was able to run like 30 times for about 150 yards against PC. He wasn't used much against Morris. Other RB went off for over 200 yards, 3 rushing TDs and a 76 yard TD reception. So I am not sure if Grigsby was dinged up that game or just not needed with Farnaus coming to the front. He seemed more than healthy with 30 touches against PC.

Truthfully, while Grigsby is very fast, the best part of the last 5-6 weeks is seeing that they have about 3-4 junior running backs and fullbacks that can get the short yardage. It will be best against Naz if they don't need to give Grigsby 25 plus touches. He is dangerous in space and they have some other guys proving dangerous in the tackle box. If they can keep that balance in mind, it will be good for them.
Ok good, yeah I changed it from Washington to Stringham in my original post. And you answered my question and see it the way I see it whether it’s another player running between tackles (last time I saw Catholic was week 3 or 4) or it was Stringham that was plowing the middle during your playoff run. Good to know it’s balanced.

Ok good, yeah I changed it from Washington to Stringham in my original post. And you answered my question and see it the way I see it whether it’s another player running between tackles (last time I saw Catholic was week 3 or 4) or it was Stringham that was plowing the middle during your playoff run. Good to know it’s balanced.
Yes Stringham has shown quite well as the fullback type. Farnaus as the tiny speedster counter back. And a third named Magrini has gotten in the mix too. It was interesting to see them lean so heavily on Farnaus vs Morris and so heavily on Grigsby vs PC. Stringham has been consistent throughout the last month being the nice thunder to some of the other guys' lightning.

Kenwood +35. Everyone knows I love Boykin II (Maxson) but this matchup screams DJ and Herman. So I don’t like the number if the Mustangs have to win running the ball. But I trust DJ and Herman to lead the team to a solid victory. I love the challenge the Kenwood Offense provides the extremely young St. Rita Defense so I will definitely be watching that matchup.

Rochester -14 Love them or hate them, there are few staffs in the state that measure up to Rochester’s. They see the film. They know. I’d put it at 42-14

Catholic HS (Joliet) -21 @JCHillmen answered my question above. Styles make fights. Whereas St. Francis (Wheaton) was a great matchup for Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park), Catholic is another animal. If the Hilltoppers get cute not just on offense but if they get cute and go man on defense, they’ll give the Roadrunners a chance. They go late 70s Catholic style, they win convincingly.

Mount Carmel (Chicago) -29 The last 4 weeks of Caravan offense has been special. I love the attitude and dislike for their opponents that they bring to each game. And the scary part is, they are not satisfied. Each game has become a statement game as well as this one will become in my opinion.

Lincoln-Way East (Frankfort) +14 Not a good matchup for Loyola Academy (Wilmette). One thing the Ramblers have going for them is QB Fitz is continually improving and playing at an extremely high level. I did not see it at the lower levels. I saw great pedigree, size and raw ability but I did not see the nuanced superstar QB he has become. So hats off to the Loyola varsity staff and to the young man that has developed this monster. But Lincoln-Way East has zero holes to exploit. The Griffins are the best team in the state. I have this one LWE 9 LA 6.

Ignazio,

I’m not saying NAZ wins but the gambletron seems to have changed quite a bit since your original post please see below.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2023] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 24 (58%), [2023] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 21 (42%)

Going to be a lot of upset public school folks this weekend after the evil Catholics win half of the state championships! OK, maybe 3/8.

Kenwood +35 vs Rita...Agree with others. Too many points. Rita will win, relatively easily, but will take the foot off the gas.

Rochester -14 vs StL...Great accomplishment by the Vikes to make it to the ship. The Rockets are a well-oiled machine though. I think Larry keeps it within a TD in the first half, but Rochester pulls away to win by three TDs late.

Naz +21 (or +3) vs JCA...Conflicting reports on the spread for this one. Doesn't matter to me. I have the Roadrunners winning this one straight up to complete the 0-4 (/4-5) to state championship miracle.

MC -29 vs DGN...I don't know what DGN can do to keep this one close. Will be competing with ESL's win as the biggest blowout of the weekend.

LWE +14 vs LA...Man, I am excited for this one. Great way to end two days of fun. I think it'll be similar to last year's 8A championship. Hard-hitting, defensive struggle. I have the Ramblers winning 14-10. But really wouldn't be surprised to see LWE win.

When it's all said and done, I think we will have the same champions as last year in 1A, 5A, 6A, 7A, 8A. That's not much fun.

Ignazio,

I’m not saying NAZ wins but the gambletron seems to have changed quite a bit since your original post please see below.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2023] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 24 (58%), [2023] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 21 (42%)
You obviously haven’t updated to Gambletron 9.0.
Power down your computer, rake the leaves, clean the gutters, store away the mower and prime the snowblower. Inventory the liquor cabinet and by that point you can kick things off with a post like “Naz should be giving points!” Or similar. Cheers.

Prep Bowl
Saint Rita 38 Kenwood 13 (K +35):
The Ponies will end their season on a positive note.

4A
Rochester 37 Saint Laurence 27 (SL +14):
Larry's is playing really good ball and it should be a very close game into the 4th. Rochester will just hang on for the W.

5A
Joliet Catholic 30 Nazareth 21 (N +21):
Buffoon's GOTW. The old guard against the new guard. I think Joliet's horsepower will eventually wear Naz out in the end, but I expect it to be an excellent game

7A
Mount Carmel 45 Downers Grove North 17 (DGN +29):
Mount Carmel's humiliation train took place last week after breaking Batavia's brains. The Caravan won't be out to shame the Trojans, but they won't need to be. This won't be remotely competitive.
8A
Loyola 33 Lincoln Way East 20 (LWE +14):
I think Loyola will have to work a bit for this W but in the end, they will hoist the trophy and finish the year as the #1 team in state.

Bless you all. Sad that another season is in the books, but already looking forward to next year!

Catholic HS (Joliet) -21 @JCHillmen answered my question above. Styles make fights. Whereas St. Francis (Wheaton) was a great matchup for Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park), Catholic is another animal. If the Hilltoppers get cute not just on offense but if they get cute and go man on defense, they’ll give the Roadrunners a chance. They go late 70s Catholic style, they win convincingly.
Let me get in on this action.

You obviously haven’t updated to Gambletron 9.0.
Power down your computer, rake the leaves, clean the gutters, store away the mower and prime the snowblower. Inventory the liquor cabinet and by that point you can kick things off with a post like “Naz should be giving points!” Or similar. Cheers.
Ignazio,

Wife made me do your entire list Last Saturday after the Penn State game while watching St Francis/Naz and the dismantling of Batavia. You know I’ve always called it like I felt it and this game seems to me to be a coin flip. I do know that I expect both these teams to come to play and anything short will be a disappointment. I will come back after Fridays games and make a pick!

Reactions: ignazio
OOOF! Well I was thinking about making the trek down but that’s a significant dog 😬

We made it! All the way to Week 14 - and no one strangled one another. Yet. A reminder not to bring up unsettling topics at the Thanksgiving dinner such as zip codes, transfers, multipliers, etc. Best to just stick to easier topics like Hamas, Gaza, refugees and the like. A special thanks to the Mustangs, Vikes, 'Runners, 'Toppers, Caravan and Ramblers for perfectly spacing out these games this weekend. Protip: completely abrogate control of the remote on Thanksgiving. If you have any Lions, Cowboy or Egg Bowl fans around, let them flap their wings. Once Friday comes, it's all yours.

Prep Bowl
Chicago (St Rita) (7-5) vs. Chicago (Kenwood) (7-4) at Chicago (Fritz Pollard Field at Lane Stadium), Fri., Nov. 24, 1:00 pm LINK
Mustangs 42 Broncos 7
4A
Burbank (St. Laurence) (10-3) vs. Rochester (13-0) at Normal (Hancock Stadium), Fri., Nov. 24, 7:00 pm
Rockets 42 Vikings 28
5A
LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy) (8-5) vs. Joliet (Catholic Academy) (10-3) at Normal (Hancock Stadium), Sat., Nov. 25, 10:00 am
7A
Downers Grove (North) (11-2) vs. Chicago (Mt. Carmel) (12-1) at Normal (Hancock Stadium), Sat., Nov. 25, 4:00 pm
Caravan 41 Trojans 12
8A
Wilmette (Loyola Academy) (13-0) vs. Frankfort (Lincoln-Way East) (13-0) at Normal (Hancock Stadium), Sat., Nov. 25, 7:00 pm
Ramblers 28 Griffins 14
No

Prep Bowl
Mustangs 42 Broncos 7
4A
Rockets 42 Vikings 28
5A
7A
Caravan 41 Trojans 12
8A
Ramblers 28 Griffins 14
No prop bets on DGN crossing 50? LOL

No

No prop bets on DGN crossing 50? LOL
Funny you mentioned that. I had it in my head last weekend when I saw that MC and DGN had their games in hand, I said, “huh, would you look at that, the DOS Bowl”. My wife said, “what?”. So I explained to her your decade old prediction. She called us losers. Don’t mind her.

Funny you mentioned that. I had it in my head last weekend when I saw that MC and DGN had their games in hand, I said, “huh, would you look at that, the DOS Bowl”. My wife said, “what?”. So I explained to her your decade old prediction. She called us losers. Don’t mind her.
She ain't lyin'

• Haha
Prep Bowl
I like the 'Stangs, but don't see them winning by 35. Broncos.
4A
Best hope for the Vikes is a low-scoring affair. Unfortunately the Rockets know this. Rockets.
5A
Purely depends on which Catholic (Joliet) shows up. Roadrunners.
7A
I can see MC hitting the 29 and backing off. Trojans.
8A
LA has never beaten LWE by 14 - and the last time LWE has lost by 14 was 2016 Week 8, Bradley Bourbonnaise 38-21. So I'm not falling for it Gambletron you demon. LA by 1.

Rita 31-14 over Kenwood
Rochester 49-7 over St. Laurence
Joliet Catholic 28-21 over Nazareth
Downers N 28-14 over Mount Carmel
LWE 24-7 over Loyola

• Wow
Thanks for a great year! Let’s see how bad I can do this week.

Kenwood +35. Rita wins comfortably but not by 35

Rochester -14. I think this game will be similar to when Providence played SHG last year. Good year for the Vikings but Rochester is too strong. They would have rolled IC this year too.

Naz +21- Lock/Shoe in of the week.

DGN +29- Am I wrong on this? Probably, but I picked MC once this year against LA and we know how that went. No sense to risk the jinx this week

LWE +14- Unless LA tact’s on a late TD I don’t see LWE losing by 14 to anyone.

Best of luck to all! WE ARE MC!!

Thank you guys for a fun year. Truly my favorite thread every week. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and the boys stay safe and healthy out there this weekend.

Kenwood
Rochester
Naz
DGN
LWE

Rita money line
Larry’s spread
Naz money line and spread. For those interest in the call I promised Naz -4 1/2
MC in a clock hence no line
LWE spread LA money line

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT