ADVERTISEMENT

The 4A Map Just Got REAL Interesting

I would be disappointed if this is how it shakes out.
If that happened, it would be even likelier to push Morris South. Ideally that would make Rochester v. Morris in the semis. But given IHSA's way of ,'seeding',not necessarily.

Reactions: cigaros
Soucie has SHG as 3A in his latest playoff projection just released this afternoon. And also has RB as the smallest school in 4A. If both them move down that will be no good for any other 3A team. Or if SHG stays down well most likely see Rochester from the south in Champaign with his projection
I had said it didn't matter. But this scenario changes my mind. Ken Leonard is retiring after this season as the winningest coach in Illinois history. Few could argue against Derek Leonard being among the very top tier of Illinois' young coaches.

It would be something special to see them coaching in back--to-back games on Thanksgiving Friday.

I had said it didn't matter. But this scenario changes my mind. Ken Leonard is retiring after this season as the winningest coach in Illinois history. Few could argue against Derek Leonard being among the very top tier of Illinois' young coaches.

It would be something special to see them coaching in back--to-back games on Thanksgiving Friday.
I think the competitiveness of the two classes would be reduced for sure, but I guess that would be the lone bright spot.

Since 1975, I have watched Griffin/SHG play for titles in 4A, 5A. 6A, and reach
I think the competitiveness of the two classes would be reduced for sure, but I guess that would be the lone bright spot.
Since 1975 I have watched Griffin/SHG play title games in 4A, win titles in 6A and 5A, and play in 7A. Between enrollment fluctuations and various multipliers, the only thing that seemed inevitable was JCA waiting somewhere up the line. Speaking for no one else at all, and despite the disrespect from some, I know what we have this year and was hoping for a rematch. But I also know that you seldom get what you want, and if JCA won't be waiting in Champaign (and with the greatest of respect, it seems unlikely that they will) getting to see both Coaches Leonard leading title games on the same night wouldn't be a bad ending.

Since 1975, I have watched Griffin/SHG play for titles in 4A, 5A. 6A, and reach

Since 1975 I have watched Griffin/SHG play title games in 4A, win titles in 6A and 5A, and play in 7A. Between enrollment fluctuations and various multipliers, the only thing that seemed inevitable was JCA waiting somewhere up the line. Speaking for no one else at all, and despite the disrespect from some, I know what we have this year and was hoping for a rematch. But I also know that you seldom get what you want, and if JCA won't be waiting in Champaign (and with the greatest of respect, it seems unlikely that they will) getting to see both Coaches Leonard leading title games on the same night wouldn't be a bad ending.
I somewhat understand your perspective. My alma mater “dropped down” last year. Everyone seems to be trending that way with 8 man and the Covid year. We had a long time member of the staff in his retirement year last season and it was great to send him off on top. At the same time it felt weird (as someone with no ties to the program other than being an alum and fan) to drop down and have two or three closer games in the regular season than any in the playoffs. But I think it was you who said previously - you go where they send ya.

Reactions: The_Oldfan
With 130 D1 Football schools and each team limited to 85 total scholarships slots, fewer than 25 freshmen per school enroll each year at any given school. If all 130 took in 25 there would be 3,250 total new D1 scholarship players each year. 10 within one school is IMG, Mater Dei, etc. level depth.
At the least they should be ranked as an Illinois Top 3 team.
Now Penlight you’re better than that. IMG actually has more than 10 D1 players in every class and more often than once in the last 10 years have had the top 2-3 ranked players in the country at multiple positions on their national traveling team. They also have multiple teams. Mater Dei also has more than 20 players on their current team with D1 offers in all their classes. Here’s to a successful and healthy finish to everyone’s season.

2014 Naz was the best IL HS football team I’ve ever seen in-person…only surpassed by seeing Bishop Gorman live during one of their national championship seasons.

SF played them in the 6A semis that year and got clocked in the first half, after destroying the 5A state runner-up Montini 31-7 during the regular season. Naz just overwhelmed every team they played that year.
@DMurph11 first off greetings from Hawaii this week! Don’t spin your wheels on this too much. The myopic approach a lot of the old posters have here will take you down a rabbit hole that’s difficult to escape. On a different note since I’m pretty sure we’ve spent some time together you need to visit the next time you find yourself in PA or on the east coast. Additionally, Kevin has returned to Mecca and you need to visit him as well to get to a game at Lake Travis!

Reactions: DMurph11
There is a positive to SHG going 3A.

Would love to see IC vs SHG in the 3A title as opposed whoever else would come out of the south in 3A that IC would clock.

There is a positive to SHG going 3A.

Would love to see IC vs SHG in the 3A title as opposed whoever else would come out of the south in 3A that IC would clock.
I managed to see IC/JCA game and was impressed. You have a great team, but there are a couple of small schools downstate that might not be as easy as you think, especially if it's good weather on that UofI turf.

If the north includes RB, St Francis, JC, PC, and possibly Morris that is 5 legitimate contenders and I give RB the edge. Francis, JC, and PC grouped tightly behind them and Morris maybe a more distant fifth.

how that bracket breaks down will be incredibly interesting. Will be interesting to see if one gets a straight path to the semis and the other 3 or 4 get bunched up and meet in the quarters or if it gets evenly distributed with some real good second round and quarterfinals matchups across the board.

no matter how it goes, the winner of the north will have earned it and will have a tall task to beat SHG in the final.

I think RB may be the best team in 4A, but SHG may have the best odds of winning it all due to having the straighter path to Champaign coming out of the south.

4A is going to be a lot of fun.
It sure is, Geneseo should get back in this year in 4A as long as they beat Rock Island Friday. It has been an unbelievable drought for us.

It sure is, Geneseo should get back in this year in 4A as long as they beat Rock Island Friday. It has been an unbelievable drought for us.
Are you guys favored? It appears to be a toss up to me, but it's at Rock Island. Both teams are currently 4-3, with tough week 9 games. One will qualify for the playoffs with the win tomorrow. The other will have to win their week 9 game or wait to see if 4-5 teams get in. If 4-5 teams happen to be needed to fill the 256-team field, there is still the issue of having enough playoff points. I estimate the final playoff-point total for both Rock Island and Geneseo being in the low 40s. Not sure that gets a 4-5 team in. Anyway, with the Maple Leafs' tradition, it would be nice if they could make it.

Reactions: Geneseo Football
Highland has been very impressive this year, but I’d rather Rochester face them once than SHG for a second time. The game’s location would be an important factor in a Highland-Rochester playoff contest.
Where does Highland stream their games. The CS8 has no interesting games this weekend and I think I 'd like to get a look.

Personally, I really doubt that any Southern Illinois school other than ESL, Edwardsville or O'Fallon can beat Rochester, simply because mone ever have in well over a decade, but I'm open to being convinced. (For me. SOUTHERN Illinois starts at I-72, not I-80)

Early projections see Providence meeting JCA in the quarters and JCA winning by a touchdown.
If PC and JC meet the round before a potential RB semifinal, that is a big boost for RB. I believe both JC and PC would be underdogs to RB but capable of beating them. Coming off a rivalry quarterfinal round, that could give the winner a big boost but is more likely to leave them primed for a letdown.

would love to see a quarterfinal round where RB, Francis, JC, and PC play each other. Hoping none of those games become second round games.

Reactions: Gene K. and cigaros
You are correct. When the pairings were announced last year, it was only a question where the SHG/Rochester semifinal game would be played. Interesting to note that if Carterville wins out, they will be the overall #1 seed in the south bracket according to the latest IHSA Playoff Outlook Page. Currently at 7-0, they have 34 playoff points, SHG and Macomb both have 28.

I don't know whether or not you did the Rochester/Carterville Calpreps matchup, but I don't see the Rockets having any trouble with them either. Unless things change, it will be like deja vu all over again for the Cyclones and Rockets!! Didn't like these conference foe matchups when SHG was playing Glenwood [not to mention Jacksonville (pass the aspirin!!)] in the post-season in years past, and don't like it now!! Seems like there are going to be more of these types of conference matchups in the lower classes until Class 1A-6A are seeded 1-32! Part of the attraction of the playoffs is the possibility of seeing new teams and places.
Agree on all points. I was crazy excited over a 1-32 set up. We could see some new teams and new fan bases. It would also create a more pure semifinal and final rather than in past years when we knew a semifinal game was the ACTUAL final. Calpreps states Rochester wins by 2 touchdowns over Carterville.

Reactions: rocketnation
No doubt SHG’s schedule is weak. However, when a CS8 team is legit, it won’t matter as much as you think. Remember when Rochester walloped Rita a few years ago?

whether SHG is an overhwhelming favorite in 4A can be debated. I personally think RB is a slight favorite over SHG with about 3 or 4 others a fair distance behind those two. But I don’t think it is a stretch for any 4a team to call beating SHG a “tall task.” Even if they’re not favored in every 4a playoff game, they would be at worse a pick ‘em against any 4a team and perhaps a slight underdog against RB.
I would like it noted that if RB and SHG meet in the 4A final, I see SHG winning by at least two touchdowns. That will annoy some from the North. So be it. They also preached about how St. Rita was going to trounce Rochester. I noticed the boards get REAL quiet when Rochester was up 42-7 before Derek let off the gas. And no, St. Rita did not fight their way back into to it to make it respectable. Their 1st team scored against the Rocket NEXT team and the Rocket ball boy went in on defense as well. The Rocket offense did not throw pass once they went up by 35.

would love to see a quarterfinal round where RB, Francis, JC, and PC play each other. Hoping none of those games become second round games.
I really cannot see that happening unless Providence drops another game, which would likely earn them a first round trip to either R-B or St. Francis.

There are clinkers on every schedule. Fearsome ESL plays Belleville West and Alton. Morris has Woodstock and Woodstock North. Richmond-Burton plays Marengo.

SHG will likely end up with 11 or more running clocks this year. Yeah, that includes Eisenhower, Lanphier and Southeast. It also includes Chatham and Rochester. Anyone care to call the Rockets a pushover? Yes it was the first game - for BOTH teams. I don't get the assumption (by some, not you, Rocket) that Rochester would improve to championship caliber in 7 games but SHG would not.

I b__ch about the Cyclones schedule as much as anybody and long for for the days when the season started with Montini and included teams like Indianapolis Cathedral. But you take the good with the bad, and the biggest reason for the CS8 is not to make it easier for SHG and Rochester football teams but to make it easier for the coaches and athletes - boys AND girls - (and travel budgets of the member schools) of ALL sports. Central Illinois is not Chicago. There are not great opponents under every rock or within 30 miles. Kids have to study, not spend their whole lives on team buses.

The one other thing many upstaters don't seem to get is the strength of inter-city rivalries in a city/county like Springfield. City championships MEAN so much more. I don't know of ANY town in Illinois with anything like the Springfield City Basketball Tournament. These school rivalries go way beyond football and SHG's tradeoffs for some easy victories on the way to making the playoffs 45 out of 49 years were many humiliatingly bad basketball teams.

It's time for aging adults - and not all of us were athletes ourselves- to quit pontificating and let the boys (and a few girls like Rochester's great kicker) strap on the pads and prove whatever there is to prove on the only place where it really matters - the football field.

<putting the soapbox away now>
That kicker you speak of is going to be Athlete of the Week when it's announced today.

Reactions: rocketnation
Where does Highland stream their games. The CS8 has no interesting games this weekend and I think I 'd like to get a look.

Personally, I really doubt that any Southern Illinois school other than ESL, Edwardsville or O'Fallon can beat Rochester, simply because mone ever have in well over a decade, but I'm open to being convinced. (For me. SOUTHERN Illinois starts at I-72, not I-80)
NFHS for the stream, they have a pretty good crew that run it. I think they’ll run for as many yards as they’d like against Mascoutah tonight, but I am interested in how well they contain Mascoutah’s big play offense.

That kicker you speak of is going to be Athlete of the Week when it's announced today.
THAT would be beyond cool, a girl playing on a boys football team making AOW.

But (and no disrespect to her), I hope you realize that NO Springfield player will EVER win the SJR AOW. I don't care if a kid of either sex scores 8TDs, 50 points in a BB game or runs a world record 1500 meter. Its a reader vote, and some of the small towns around Springfield vote en bloc for their kids whereas Springfield readers don't often vote and split their votes among 4 nominees or more when they do.

If that happened, it would be even likelier to push Morris South. Ideally that would make Rochester v. Morris in the semis. But given IHSA's way of ,'seeding',not necessarily.
If the playoffs started today, Morris would meet Rochester in the quarterfinals. And win by a score. However, if the game is at Rochester, it will be a long drive back up North

I really cannot see that happening unless Providence drops another game, which would likely earn them a first round trip to either R-B or St. Francis.
For what it’s worth, given Provo’s ridiculous amount of playoff points, if they go 5-4 I think getting a 14 seed (maybe even as high as a 13) is a good bet. In this scenario, assuming SF and R-B are the 1 and 2 seeds (big IF with SF having to travel to IC in a game they’ll probably be slight underdogs) that should prevent Providence from having to make a trip to either.

I would like it noted that if RB and SHG meet in the 4A final, I see SHG winning by at least two touchdowns. That will annoy some from the North. So be it. They also preached about how St. Rita was going to trounce Rochester. I noticed the boards get REAL quiet when Rochester was up 42-7 before Derek let off the gas. And no, St. Rita did not fight their way back into to it to make it respectable. Their 1st team scored against the Rocket NEXT team and the Rocket ball boy went in on defense as well. The Rocket offense did not throw pass once they went up by 35.
RB gave JCA their toughest game last year. And if memory serves, JCA let off the gas last year vs SHG en route to a 56-27 win in the championship game. But neither of those games matter this year, so I am not sure what relevance the 5A championship game from 2 years ago has on this year's 4A championship.

RB gave JCA their toughest game last year. And if memory serves, JCA let off the gas last year vs SHG en route to a 56-27 win in the championship game. But neither of those games matter this year, so I am not sure what relevance the 5A championship game from 2 years ago has on this year's 4A championship.
It was in response to the idea that SHG's schedule is not as strong as many in the North and that they are not capable of beating anyone in the North in the Final. I was calling out the past underestimation of the South by the Northern bracket team's fanbases. I also put it in writing that SHG will beat RB by 2 touchdowns in the FINAL if they both make it. JCA is not last year's JCA. And yes, SHG is going to have one of those seasons such as the 2013/14 teams had.

THAT would be beyond cool, a girl playing on a boys football team making AOW.

But (and no disrespect to her), I hope you realize that NO Springfield player will EVER win the SJR AOW. I don't care if a kid of either sex scores 8TDs, 50 points in a BB game or runs a world record 1500 meter. Its a reader vote, and some of the small towns around Springfield vote en bloc for their kids whereas Springfield readers don't often vote and split their votes among 4 nominees or more when they do.
And that strikes me as incredibly ironic since the Springfield schools have 1100, 1300, and 1500 students respectively. You can vote daily. And those kids have parents who can vote as well. Whereas the Rochester, Williamsville, SHG, Pleasant Plains, et al do not have the student populations or the number of parents to match in voting potential. It merely shows how unsupportive the Springfield fans are of their programs in any sport. That is a "them" problem which the smaller rural or private schools have elected to not be their problem.

Reactions: Gene K.
It was in response to the idea that SHG's schedule is not as strong as many in the North and that they are not capable of beating anyone in the North in the Final. I was calling out the past underestimation of the South by the Northern bracket team's fanbases. I also put it in writing that SHG will beat RB by 2 touchdowns in the FINAL if they both make it. JCA is not last year's JCA. And yes, SHG is going to have one of those seasons such as the 2013/14 teams had.
I will call SHG the favorite in either 3A or 4A. It’s the reason why I don’t want to see them in 3A. I think if it’s 3A, the north will almost assuredly be playing for runner up. In 4A, it will at least have a good chance to be compelling.

Althoff beat them. None of the schools you mentioned would ever play Rochester due to enrolment differences. I think this Highland team can beat them if only because this is not one of Rochester's better teams.

I will call SHG the favorite in either 3A or 4A. It’s the reason why I don’t want to see them in 3A. I think if it’s 3A, the north will almost assuredly be playing for runner up. In 4A, it will at least have a good chance to be compelling.
IMO, ICCP is as good as any of the top 4a teams in the north and would give SHG a game.

I cannot help but remember a column Edgy wrote back when the first of the two Gabe Green teams shocked the North by knocking off mighty Montini at DeKalb. I can't find it now but he started by mentioning that "everybody's wisdom" on his board that SHG couldn't possibly defeat the invincible maroon and gold - and then adding ,'everybody but him'. He went on to say that only someone who didn't fully understand IHSA football would ever dismiss a Ken Leonard team. This year reminds me of then. Most of the posters here are Northern Illimois fans who seem to think that every SHG and Rochester championship was blind luck by a bunch of country rubes. There are a dozen reasons given (JCA, last year, weak conference, etc,) from people who didn't see Glenwood and Rochester trying to cover five fast receivers, 2-3 of them running wide open, with 3 or 4 HS D-backs. It's as bad as the assumption that a Rochester team that the Cyclones running clocked has gotten better in seven games but that somehow SHG hasn't.

Nothing changes. One way or another, we'll see.

And that strikes me as incredibly ironic since the Springfield schools have 1100, 1300, and 1500 students respectively. You can vote daily. And those kids have parents who can vote as well. Whereas the Rochester, Williamsville, SHG, Pleasant Plains, et al do not have the student populations or the number of parents to match in voting potential. It merely shows how unsupportive the Springfield fans are of their programs in any sport. That is a "them" problem which the smaller rural or private schools have elected to not be their problem.
This is one of the best teams SHG has ever had and they are on a mission to send a legendary coach into retirement with one more championship. But every week it seems.like Sam and Tim talk about the stands not being full. Complacency or apathy or WTF. IT sucks. The only thing that still seems to.fill all the seats is the city BB tourney

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT