ADVERTISEMENT

The 4A Map Just Got REAL Interesting

I'm anxious to see what St. Francis does in their next two games against Riverside Brookfield and IC. JCA is still JCA. Providence could make some noise in their bracket. However, from what I have seen thus far, I agree that Richmond Burton (RB) is the best in 4A. Morris losing as they did to RB deserves any doubts people may have about them coming out of the north bracket.

I don't understand all this talk about SHG being a "tall task" for anyone to beat ,and having "the best odds of winning it all". People, they play in a mediocre conference and all the teams you mention in the north bracket have a tougher regular season schedule than them. The CS8 this year has some absolutely horrendous teams!! At present, the bottom three (remember, we have completed 7 weeks of play) have a grand, combined total of (wait for it) 2 wins!!!!!!!!!!

Let us look at the north teams you list and their current playoff points: RB (36), St. Francis (32), JC (36), PC (40), and Morris (39). SHG has (drum roll, please) 28. With Rochester on the horizon, and a currently-listed, undefeated number 1 seeded Carterville n the south, I would say the Cyclones have some work to do before even thinking about Champaign.

No insult meant by my tone, Hillman, but I have followed the Cyclones and the CS8 this year, and the quality of this conference does not speak well for SHG, even if their record does!
Because the CS8 is a closed conference, the maximum playoff points that SHG can have is 36. That will change next year when there is one game vs a Big 12 team.

There are terrible teams in the CS8 but you have to play who is on the schedule. A 386-61 point differential so far this year compares favorably to past Cyclone state champions, even the 2014 team which running clocked 13 of 14 opponents.

Unless the 4A South bracket moves farther North this year, it is by far the less challenging of the two brackets. Before their semi-final game last season, Rochester and SHG had each won their first three games by an average of 37 points.

Calpreps currently predicts SHG over Carterville 44-12.

To beat SHG, Rochester would need to get the playoff game at home and then play perfectly. Calpreps currently projects SHG to beat Rochester 48-21. That’s why I selfishly hope SHG falls to 3A.

No matter where they end up, SHG has 5A-6A level talent.

Because the CS8 is a closed conference, the maximum playoff points that SHG can have is 36. That will change next year when there is one game vs a Big 12 team.

There are terrible teams in the CS8 but you have to play who is on the schedule. A 386-61 point differential so far this year compares favorably to past Cyclone state champions, even the 2014 team which running clocked 13 of 14 opponents.

Unless the 4A South bracket moves farther North this year, it is by far the less challenging of the two brackets. Before their semi-final game last season, Rochester and SHG had each won their first three games by an average of 37 points.

To beat SHG, Rochester would need to get the playoff game at home and then play perfectly. Calpreps currently projects SHG to beat Rochester 48-21. That’s why I selfishly hope SHG falls to 3A.

You are correct. When the pairings were announced last year, it was only a question where the SHG/Rochester semifinal game would be played. Interesting to note that if Carterville wins out, they will be the overall #1 seed in the south bracket according to the latest IHSA Playoff Outlook Page. Currently at 7-0, they have 34 playoff points, SHG and Macomb both have 28.

I don't know whether or not you did the Rochester/Carterville Calpreps matchup, but I don't see the Rockets having any trouble with them either. Unless things change, it will be like deja vu all over again for the Cyclones and Rockets!! Didn't like these conference foe matchups when SHG was playing Glenwood [not to mention Jacksonville (pass the aspirin!!)] in the post-season in years past, and don't like it now!! Seems like there are going to be more of these types of conference matchups in the lower classes until Class 1A-6A are seeded 1-32! Part of the attraction of the playoffs is the possibility of seeing new teams and places.

Last edited:
I'm anxious to see what St. Francis does in their next two games against Riverside Brookfield and IC. JCA is still JCA. Providence could make some noise in their bracket. However, from what I have seen thus far, I agree that Richmond Burton (RB) is the best in 4A. Morris losing as they did to RB deserves any doubts people may have about them coming out of the north bracket.

I don't understand all this talk about SHG being a "tall task" for anyone to beat ,and having "the best odds of winning it all". People, they play in a mediocre conference and all the teams you mention in the north bracket have a tougher regular season schedule than them. The CS8 this year has some absolutely horrendous teams!! At present, the bottom three (remember, we have completed 7 weeks of play) have a grand, combined total of (wait for it) 2 wins!!!!!!!!!!

Let us look at the north teams you list and their current playoff points: RB (36), St. Francis (32), JC (36), PC (40), and Morris (39). SHG has (drum roll, please) 28. With Rochester on the horizon, and a currently-listed, undefeated number 1 seeded Carterville n the south, I would say the Cyclones have some work to do before even thinking about Champaign.

No insult meant by my tone, Hillman, but I have followed the Cyclones and the CS8 this year, and the quality of this conference does not speak well for SHG, even if their record does!
No doubt SHG’s schedule is weak. However, when a CS8 team is legit, it won’t matter as much as you think. Remember when Rochester walloped Rita a few years ago?

whether SHG is an overhwhelming favorite in 4A can be debated. I personally think RB is a slight favorite over SHG with about 3 or 4 others a fair distance behind those two. But I don’t think it is a stretch for any 4a team to call beating SHG a “tall task.” Even if they’re not favored in every 4a playoff game, they would be at worse a pick ‘em against any 4a team and perhaps a slight underdog against RB.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaros
No doubt SHG’s schedule is weak. However, when a CS8 team is legit, it won’t matter as much as you think. Remember when Rochester walloped Rita a few years ago?

whether SHG is an overhwhelming favorite in 4A can be debated. I personally think RB is a slight favorite over SHG with about 3 or 4 others a fair distance behind those two. But I don’t think it is a stretch for any 4a team to call beating SHG a “tall task.” Even if they’re not favored in every 4a playoff game, they would be at worse a pick ‘em against any 4a team and perhaps a slight underdog against RB.
Fair enough, and I too would list them as an underdog to RB if they happen to play each other. I also do not see St. Francis or Morris (if they go north) coming out of that bracket. In my opinion, the opponent for the south bracket survivor will be either JCA, RB, or Providence, with Providence being the least likely. If RB and JCA would happen to meet (in whichever round), I believe the outcome will depend on who hosts the game. I also have thought and will say again that the same can be said of an SHG/Rochester game in the south.

Let's sum up the supposed contenders for the Class 4A title in the following: JCA and Rochester still have their swagger, Richmond Burton doesn't need it, and SHG is still working on it!!

Last edited:
Fair enough, and I too would list them as an underdog to RB if they happen to play each other. I also do not see St. Francis or Morris (if they go north) coming out of that bracket. In my opinion, the opponent for the south bracket survivor will be either JCA, RB, or Providence, with Providence being the least likely. If RB and JCA would happen to meet (in whichever round), I believe the outcome will depend on who hosts the game.
We will find a lot out about SF as a team the next two weeks and if they are true contenders…but I struggle to find a team in the north bracket in 4A with as many athletes as SF has, combined with the size they have on the O-line.

D1 Quarterback, two D1 receivers (one with SEC and Big Ten offers), D1 running back, 3-4 D1 lineman (one of which is arguably the best in the state), D1 Defensive End, D1 linebacker recruit.

That’s alot for any 4A team to manage. SF has kept the foot off the pedal in a lot of games (St. Ed’s, Aurora Christian). The next two weeks will be interesting.

Reactions: rocketnation
We will find a lot out about SF as a team the next two weeks and if they are true contenders…but I struggle to find a team in the north bracket in 4A with as many athletes as SF has, combined with the size they have on the O-line.

D1 Quarterback, two D1 receivers (one with SEC and Big Ten offers), D1 running back, 3-4 D1 lineman (one of which is arguably the best in the state), D1 Defensive End, D1 linebacker recruit.

That’s alot for any 4A team to manage. SF has kept the foot off the pedal in a lot of games (St. Ed’s, Aurora Christian). The next two weeks will be interesting.
Week 8 isn't going to tell them anything. Clock should be running early 2nd half.

Reactions: Alexander32

So they have 10 d1 players? If that is the case, they should be ranked #1 in the state regardless of class and no one in 4A should come within 4 TD's of them.

There are clinkers on every schedule. Fearsome ESL plays Belleville West and Alton. Morris has Woodstock and Woodstock North. Richmond-Burton plays Marengo.

SHG will likely end up with 11 or more running clocks this year. Yeah, that includes Eisenhower, Lanphier and Southeast. It also includes Chatham and Rochester. Anyone care to call the Rockets a pushover? Yes it was the first game - for BOTH teams. I don't get the assumption (by some, not you, Rocket) that Rochester would improve to championship caliber in 7 games but SHG would not.

I b__ch about the Cyclones schedule as much as anybody and long for for the days when the season started with Montini and included teams like Indianapolis Cathedral. But you take the good with the bad, and the biggest reason for the CS8 is not to make it easier for SHG and Rochester football teams but to make it easier for the coaches and athletes - boys AND girls - (and travel budgets of the member schools) of ALL sports. Central Illinois is not Chicago. There are not great opponents under every rock or within 30 miles. Kids have to study, not spend their whole lives on team buses.

The one other thing many upstaters don't seem to get is the strength of inter-city rivalries in a city/county like Springfield. City championships MEAN so much more. I don't know of ANY town in Illinois with anything like the Springfield City Basketball Tournament. These school rivalries go way beyond football and SHG's tradeoffs for some easy victories on the way to making the playoffs 45 out of 49 years were many humiliatingly bad basketball teams.

It's time for aging adults - and not all of us were athletes ourselves- to quit pontificating and let the boys (and a few girls like Rochester's great kicker) strap on the pads and prove whatever there is to prove on the only place where it really matters - the football field.

<putting the soapbox away now>

So they have 10 d1 players? If that is the case, they should be ranked #1 in the state regardless of class and no one in 4A should come within 4 TD's of them.
With 130 D1 Football schools and each team limited to 85 total scholarships slots, fewer than 25 freshmen per school enroll each year at any given school. If all 130 took in 25 there would be 3,250 total new D1 scholarship players each year. 10 within one school is IMG, Mater Dei, etc. level depth.
At the least they should be ranked as an Illinois Top 3 team.

Wow I didn’t realize Sparta had 9 or 10 D1 kids. That’s incredible.

With 130 D1 Football schools and each team limited to 85 total scholarships slots, fewer than 25 freshmen per school enroll each year at any given school. If all 130 took in 25 there would be 3,250 total new D1 scholarship players each year. 10 within one school is IMG, Mater Dei, etc. level depth.
At the least they should be ranked as an Illinois Top 3 team.
To be fair, all ten players he mentions may not be seniors. Still, I can't imagine many, if any other Illinois schools have 10 D1 players on their roster.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
To be fair, all ten players he mentions may not be seniors. Still, I can't imagine many, if any other Illinois schools have 10 D1 players on their roster.
Since you made a cheeky initial comment I’ll take the minutes to do some research and respond with the names and list of offers. The list shakes out to by my count 7 kids with active D1 offers, with 3 others that are younger, but being actively recruited by multiple D1 programs and will almost certainly end up at a D1 program. 3 of the kids named (The QB, McMillen, and Dorsey) have received offers from SEC schools.

Alessio M. - Junior QB: offers from Ole Miss and Bowling Green, rated as the best 2024 QB in the state by a couple outlets.

Amari Head - Senior RB/CB: Valpo offer…likely more to come given how strong his senior year has been.

Dorsey - Senior WR: offers from Mizzou, Nebraska, Navy, Toledo, Army, etc.

Deshaun Williams - Soph WR: Been out most of the year with an injury but may be back come playoffs…offer from Central Michigan. Will be a highly recruited player over the next couple years.

Joey Ayala - Senior DE: Western Illinois and Valpo offers.

McMillen - Senior OL: Illinois commit. 30+ D1 offers.

Tyler Wood - Senior OL: Handful of FCS/MVC offers.

A. Gutierrez - Junior OL: Lemming just named him a rising star in the state among interior lineman, 6’3, 320lbs. Getting calls from D1 schools. Likely an FCS kid, but has played extremely well this year for them.

Dom Beres - Junior LB: Recruited by North Dakota State, Eastern Michigan, MVC schools and some Ivy’s.

Jack Donovan: Junior OL: Being actively recruited by FCS schools. Made a visit to Mercer and a couple others recently according to Twitter.

Not included but still committed as a PWO…Tyler Duzansky, long snapper walking on at Oregon. I also didn’t include kids like Soph WR Amari Head, who has made visits to several MAC schools.

I stand by my statement that 10 of SF’s current players will end up at a D1 program (even if it’s FCS or an Ivy…that’s D1) by the time it’s said and done. 3 of these kids will likely end up at Power 5 / FBS programs.

to anyone with a modicum of gray brain matter, it’s obvious and self evident where the difference between that and a Mater Dei/IMG is…the point is McMillen is building a fantastic small school program, and that of the teams in 4A, they will likely have better athletes than the opponent. Depth can still be an issue, several of the kids listed are underclassman, and nearly all of those kids I listed play both ways… but you won’t see an opponent at the 4A level outside of maybe JCA trot out that much D1 recruiting onto the field. That was my point.

• Haha
Reactions: gobears25
Since you made a cheeky initial comment I’ll take the minutes to do some research and respond with the names and list of offers. The list shakes out to by my count 7 kids with active D1 offers, with 3 others that are younger, but being actively recruited by multiple D1 programs and will almost certainly end up at a D1 program. 3 of the kids named (The QB, McMillen, and Dorsey) have received offers from SEC schools.

Alessio M. - Junior QB: offers from Ole Miss and Bowling Green, rated as the best 2024 QB in the state by a couple outlets.

Amari Head - Senior RB/CB: Valpo offer…likely more to come given how strong his senior year has been.

Dorsey - Senior WR: offers from Mizzou, Nebraska, Navy, Toledo, Army, etc.

Deshaun Williams - Soph WR: Been out most of the year with an injury but may be back come playoffs…offer from Central Michigan. Will be a highly recruited player over the next couple years.

Joey Ayala - Senior DE: Western Illinois and Valpo offers.

McMillen - Senior OL: Illinois commit. 30+ D1 offers.

Tyler Wood - Senior OL: Handful of FCS/MVC offers.

A. Gutierrez - Junior OL: Lemming just named him a rising star in the state among interior lineman, 6’3, 320lbs. Getting calls from D1 schools. Likely an FCS kid, but has played extremely well this year for them.

Dom Beres - Junior LB: Recruited by North Dakota State, Eastern Michigan, MVC schools and some Ivy’s.

Jack Donovan: Junior OL: Being actively recruited by FCS schools. Made a visit to Mercer and a couple others recently according to Twitter.

Not included but still committed as a PWO…Tyler Duzansky, long snapper walking on at Oregon. I also didn’t include kids like Soph WR Amari Head, who has made visits to several MAC schools.
So the question becomes then if that is the depth of legit d1 offers and talent, why are they not ranked number 1 in all of Illinois regardless of class? I realize their schedule is beyond terrible, but still if those are legit offers, those doing the rankings know this.

I Would also question why a team with that incredible amount of talent was held to close games by lake forest and sterling. Nice teams to be sure, but not mater dei or IMG level talent. Just like the surprise playoff exit last year for a team with such superior talent, is there something underneath the hood of that fancy looking car that we are missing?

Cheeky!?🤣🤣

So the question becomes then if that is the depth of legit d1 offers and talent, why are they not ranked number 1 in all of Illinois regardless of class? I realize their schedule is beyond terrible, but still if those are legit offers, those doing the rankings know this.

I Would also question why a team with that incredible amount of talent was held to close games by lake forest and sterling. Nice teams to be sure, but not mater dei or IMG level talent. Just like the surprise playoff exit last year for a team with such superior talent, is there something underneath the hood of that fancy looking car that we are missing?
I think your answer is in what I said before, depth is still an issue, and many (not all) of the other players on the roster that are not listed above are either freshman or sophomores / not D1 talent. The thing that makes a Loyola elite is not just the top end D1 talent sure, but it’s also the army of kids who are D3 type talent that round out their starting 22 as well as some of the backup positions. SF only has about 35 kids on the team, and those 10 kids I mentioned are asked to do a lot on both sides of the ball. To answer your question of last years playoff exit against GK…SF was without the QB, the Power 5 wideout, their RB and ended up having to run the wildcat all game…once again…depth. If they lose some of the kids I mentioned the drop off in talent to the next one can be severe. But McMillen is working on getting the numbers up at the lower levels and I am confident he will succeed. So nothing going on “under the hood”, just a small school program with a very strong top end of players that it relies on heavily on both sides of the ball. I know that the JV team has much more depth and they’re building the program from the bottom up, but he did only take this job a few years ago.

and to your comment about rankings…Edgy recognizes this and has them on the cusp of being top 20 in Chicagoland area. That sounds about right given what I outlined above when it comes to the D1 talent vs. depth, and if they make a run in the playoffs they’ll likely crack the top 15/10.

And in terms of the offers being “legit” - I’m not sure what the inference is there? That the coaches and the kids Twitter accounts (where they tag the college coach in the tweet who gave them the offer from the respective schools) are lying?

Reactions: Alexander32
to anyone with a modicum of gray brain matter, it’s obvious and self evident where the difference between that and a Mater Dei/IMG is…the point is McMillen is building a fantastic small school program, and that of the teams in 4A, they will likely have better athletes than the opponent. Depth can still be an issue, several of the kids listed are underclassman, and nearly all of those kids I listed play both ways… but you won’t see an opponent at the 4A level outside of maybe JCA trot out that much D1 recruiting onto the field. That was my point.
I think you are encountering doubt due to their current schedule (which I'm sure will be significantly upgraded next year after their move to the CCL/ESCC). Also, they haven't had a tremendous amount of recent playoff success. While I would agree that has little to do with this year's team, McMillen is still early in his tenure and just doesn't have the track record yet. If they stay healthy in the playoffs and make a deep run, their reputation will be elevated. As many have said, they are definitely one of the main contenders in what looks like a loaded 4A North field. We shall see how it plays out.

Cheeky!?🤣🤣
Cheeky: rude or disrespectful in an amusing or sarcastic way.

I won’t take time to explain this to you further, but essentially I was making the inference that you stated that if what I said were true (which it was), that SF should be number 1 in the state and clean everyone’s clocks in 4A by 30 points (which doesn’t have to be true…for the reasons I outlined above). I’m not here for Edgytim clout, just some fun football discussions…so I’ll leave this part of the discussion here for now.

My point stands, that other teams in 4A like RB, JCA, SHG, Rochester, Morris, Providence etc. all have fantastic and storied programs that have depth at all levels. SF provides a unique challenge for these teams that will make for an interesting matchup…SF likely will have more D1 athletes than their opponent, but they may not have the same depth or playoff experience. To see how it shakes out will be fun to watch.

At no point did I say SF should be the favorite, will clock everyone, etc. I just think it’s an interesting angle that’ll throw another wrench into what will be an extremely fun 4A North bracket.

I think you are encountering doubt due to their current schedule (which I'm sure will be significantly upgraded next year after their move to the CCL/ESCC). Also, they haven't had a tremendous amount of recent playoff success. While I would agree that has little to do with this year's team, McMillen is still early in his tenure and just doesn't have the track record yet. If they stay healthy in the playoffs and make a deep run, their reputation will be elevated. As many have said, they are definitely one of the main contenders in what looks like a loaded 4A North field. We shall see how it plays out.
Appreciate the comment, agree and it’ll be fun to watch it play out! I have no affiliation with the program outside of just being an alum, so not personally invested but it will be fun to watch. 4A north will be absolutely loaded, and I think SF will figure out where they stand among the contenders after week 9.

And lastly…McMillen / coaching staff appreciation post for what they’ve done for that school.

When he took over the program was in shambles…Purnell had a ton of success after his first season (08-13) and they finished with a winning record every year and got a 5A state title, and then Fitz (who is now at York) took them to the 6A semifinals, saw what was on the pipeline with issues around numbers / talent at the junior levels, and he bolted after 2 seasons to Naperville North for an OC position. They hired a guy who was there for one year, went like 1-8 or 0-9 and then got fired.

McMillen took over and his first year went 1-8 which frankly was a miracle they even won a single game with the lack of football talent in the building. The next year he goes 8-3 and wins a playoff game. 2019 he makes the quarterfinals, 2020 has his best team yet that gets cancelled because of Covid (they go on to be 6-0, while beating IC 28-0 that spring). Last year was a young team in a semi rebuilding year that he took to 8-3 and a playoff win (with wins over Peoria and Prospect during the regular season), and now they are 7-0 and if they can stay healthy have a real shot at making noise. This is combined with a JV program / young talent at the varsity level that is better than the school has ever seen.

Frankly, what he has done with that program in such a short period of time is remarkable. Off-topic post and I won’t carry it any further…but just wanted to highlight that what McMillen and that coaching staff has done at SF in such a short period is borderline incredible.

I won’t take time to explain this to you further, but essentially I was making the inference that you stated that if what I said were true (which it was), that SF should be number 1 in the state and clean everyone’s clocks in 4A by 30 points (which doesn’t have to be true…for the reasons I outlined above). I’m not here for Edgytim clout, just some fun football discussions…so I’ll leave this part of the discussion here for now.

My point stands, that other teams in 4A like RB, JCA, SHG, Rochester, Morris, Providence etc. all have fantastic and storied programs that have depth at all levels. SF provides a unique challenge for these teams that will make for an interesting matchup…SF likely will have more D1 athletes than their opponent, but they may not have the same depth or playoff experience. To see how it shakes out will be fun to watch.

At no point did I say SF should be the favorite, will clock everyone, etc. I just think it’s an interesting angle that’ll throw another wrench into what will be an extremely fun 4A North bracket.
We appreciate your insight Murph as we all seem to know little of SF in any detail. If there really are that many offers, that is a lot of talent. Nobody is questioning it’s truthfulness. Just the reality of if there is that much talent then why are they not even more dominant and higher ranked. Your explanation of depth makes sense, but still, that has to be a pretty severe depth issue if it led to the GK outcome of last year.

I believe they will fix that and the improved conference next year will have to help their standing in rankings as well.

I am fascinated by the ebb and flow of montini, Naz, IC, and st Francis seemingly playing whack a mole where a few programs make a run while others are down and then the power dynamic shifts every few years. This seems like the time for SF and IC to make inroads.

Reactions: DMurph11

All.... This. ^ The secret is now out. (lol) Except for those who have watched long and hard all of the Cyclone games with this particular group last and in this current season.

I have already in an earlier post expressed my opinion on computer generated score projections. And they can and do change from week to week, This is what they have presently on these two sites. Again fwiw.

Massey ( neutral site) ....

Sacred Heart-Griffin 44 Wheaton (St. Francis) 21
Sacred Heart-Griffin 38 Richmond-Burton 21
Sacred Heart-Griffin 42 Joliet Catholic Academy 28
Sacred Heart-Griffin 48 Rochester 21

Massey....

Sacred Heart-Griffin 37 Wheaton (St. Francis) 28
Sacred Heart-Griffin 36 Richmond-Burton 28
Joliet Catholic Academy 41 Sacred Heart-Griffin 33 (interesting)
Sacred Heart-Griffin 42 Rochester 29

As with any postseason play weather and injuries can have huge effects on any game. People continue to ask me what class I would like to see the Cyclones end up in. Since the advent of a possible drop into 3A by SHG I have been consistent. 4A, and although I don't believe JCA will get out of what appears the northern bracket of 16 should the Cyclones manage to make the final coming from the south I would like to see a Cyclone/Hilltopper game in Champaign. Ratsy

We appreciate your insight Murph as we all seem to know little of SF in any detail. If there really are that many offers, that is a lot of talent. Nobody is questioning it’s truthfulness. Just the reality of if there is that much talent then why are they not even more dominant and higher ranked. Your explanation of depth makes sense, but still, that has to be a pretty severe depth issue if it led to the GK outcome of last year.

I believe they will fix that and the improved conference next year will have to help their standing in rankings as well.

I am fascinated by the ebb and flow of montini, Naz, IC, and st Francis seemingly playing whack a mole where a few programs make a run while others are down and then the power dynamic shifts every few years. This seems like the time for SF and IC to make inroads.
Appreciate the kind comment!

i also think having talent at the Soph/Junior level is different than having a loaded senior class. Naz is having a down year, but the future is bright as they’re loaded when it comes to freshman and sophomores.

Last year’s SF team had that issue a bit, and to be fair a healthy SF team last year got blitzed by Bishop Mac. A young team in my opinion will have those highs and lows (beat Prospect a 7A quartefinalist and Peoria a top 5A team by 30 points while also losing to Bishop Mac and GK by 3+ scores).

For this year. I think LF is a tough team (kept it close with Lake Zurich this past week) combined with first game sloppiness. SF had a ton of penalties, several scores called back, etc.

Sterling I just have a ton of respect for this year and think they’re a sleeper in 5A. Their QBs gave SF fits as their 4 touchdowns were broken play QB scrambles of 30+ yards. I would not be the least bit shocked after watching Sterling play if they made it to the semifinals or Champaign this year in 5A. SF had chances to pull away (up 28-13, and then 35-20) but Sterling just kept finding a way to make plays.

Regardless, the true litmus test is week 9 against IC. That’ll tell us a lot about where things stand come playoffs.

At no point did I say SF should be the favorite, will clock everyone, etc. I just think it’s an interesting angle that’ll throw another wrench into what will be an extremely fun 4A North bracket.I
I am well aware of what Cheeky means. I just think it is comical that you used it in a high school football forum, hence the laughing emoji. Don't read so deeply into things. Not sure how questioning why a team with 10 d1 players shouldnt dominate 4a is rude or disrespectful on my end.

I think your answer is in what I said before, depth is still an issue, and many (not all) of the other players on the roster that are not listed above are either freshman or sophomores / not D1 talent. The thing that makes a Loyola elite is not just the top end D1 talent sure, but it’s also the army of kids who are D3 type talent that round out their starting 22 as well as some of the backup positions. SF only has about 35 kids on the team, and those 10 kids I mentioned are asked to do a lot on both sides of the ball. To answer your question of last years playoff exit against GK…SF was without the QB, the Power 5 wideout, their RB and ended up having to run the wildcat all game…once again…depth. If they lose some of the kids I mentioned the drop off in talent to the next one can be severe. But McMillen is working on getting the numbers up at the lower levels and I am confident he will succeed. So nothing going on “under the hood”, just a small school program with a very strong top end of players that it relies on heavily on both sides of the ball. I know that the JV team has much more depth and they’re building the program from the bottom up, but he did only take this job a few years ago.

and to your comment about rankings…Edgy recognizes this and has them on the cusp of being top 20 in Chicagoland area. That sounds about right given what I outlined above when it comes to the D1 talent vs. depth, and if they make a run in the playoffs they’ll likely crack the top 15/10.

And in terms of the offers being “legit” - I’m not sure what the inference is there? That the coaches and the kids Twitter accounts (where they tag the college coach in the tweet who gave them the offer from the respective schools) are lying?
You must be new to the recruiting landscape. There have been countless times where a kid has an offer but come time it isn't committable and not real.

Reactions: chiliconcarne
A contact of mine very close to Lake Forest football estimated SF beating Carmel Catholic by two scores, based on week 1&2 ‘like’ opponents to validate his claim (which I 100% respect). This is what he shared with me after both games (weeks 1&2) were played. These were thoughts shared early in the season, not today or just yesterday.

That doesn’t impress me at all, given Carmel Catholic starts a combination of 17 Jr’s/Soph’s/Frosh (9 Soph’s/Frosh total) and have yet to figure things out so far this season and play a complete game (given the team’s roster make-up = young!)

If SF truly has that kind of talent and size I need to see them play. Thats’s ESL type D1 personnel!

With that said, go ICCP as my cousin is their DC!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
You must be new to the recruiting landscape. There have been countless times where a kid has an offer but come time it isn't committable and not real.
Never said whether commitable or not, just that the offer has been made. I have no way to know what’s commitable and isn’t (and sometimes neither do the kids…see the recent FSU wideout commit who found out his offer wasn’t commitable after they pulled it) so have to simply go by what is out there in the universe. Regardless, in many instances, those kids have several D1 offers and will land somewhere at a D1 program eventually, even if not all those offers are commitable.

Even if an offer is not yet commitable, it’s still “legitimate” IMO.

Last edited:

RB loves nothing more than playing a team with all these “D1 recruits” they just stick to their plan and play fundamental football and usually come out on top

RB loves nothing more than playing a team with all these “D1 recruits” they just stick to their plan and play fundamental football and usually come out on top
Don’t disagree at all that RB is the favorite.

I am well aware of what Cheeky means. I just think it is comical that you used it in a high school football forum, hence the laughing emoji. Don't read so deeply into things. Not sure how questioning why a team with 10 d1 players shouldnt dominate 4a is rude or disrespectful on my end.
TJ(UofI commit)/QB/2 WRs/LS(Oregon commit) have legit DI offers.
There are a handful of other kids with offers from schools like Valpo and the like. This is at least from my knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMurph11
TJ(UofI commit)/QB/2 WRs/LS(Oregon commit) have legit DI offers.
There are a handful of other kids with offers from schools like Valpo and the like. This is at least from my knowledge.
Accurate…4 FBS scholly offers currently on the roster, 1 FBS preferred walk-on and then a handful of kids with FCS offers and interests.

Almost as many as the 2014 Naz team. @jwarigaku can tell you how many, I think it was 18 .
2014 Naz was the best IL HS football team I’ve ever seen in-person…only surpassed by seeing Bishop Gorman live during one of their national championship seasons.

SF played them in the 6A semis that year and got clocked in the first half, after destroying the 5A state runner-up Montini 31-7 during the regular season. Naz just overwhelmed every team they played that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwarigaku
People continue to ask me what class I would like to see the Cyclones end up in. Since the advent of a possible drop into 3A by SHG I have been consistent. 4A,
Soucie has SHG as 3A in his latest playoff projection just released this afternoon. And also has RB as the smallest school in 4A. If both them move down that will be no good for any other 3A team. Or if SHG stays down well most likely see Rochester from the south in Champaign with his projection

For you south of I-80 folks. 😂
If y’all aren’t aware check out Friday Night Drive on the Facebook or internet. It’s a subscription but pretty interesting reads if y’all wanna follow most of the areas up north.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT