ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Football Moved to the Spring

Do all the other sports bitch when baseball gets a "summer league" as well as being able to play in multiple club leagues?

From the beginning of the Freshman baseball to the end of Fall baseball, my son played in over 80 games. Just doesn't happen that way in football

Do all the other sports bitch when baseball gets a "summer league" as well as being able to play in multiple club leagues?
No there is no complaining before. But football traditionally had summer stuff too with 7v7.

But also never before did an entire season get cancelled , and then give that same season 50 percent or less of it back while giving more to all other seasons

Reactions: Gene K.
Unless a kid's name is Khalil Mack (in my opinion) it could be a horrible decision to transfer to a new program in August to get two games on film for a D1 school. A kid is not going to pick up offensive or defensive schemes, adjust to new teammates and coaches, or develop unit team timing and a rapport in a matter of a couple of weeks. I think a kid will do far more harm than good by appearing confused on film and not playing fast, which is going to happen. Anyone who has been around transfer kids knows that there is huge learning curve, even if you dummy it down, and it can months to make a comfortable transition.

No there is no complaining before. But football traditionally had summer stuff too with 7v7.

But also never before did an entire season get cancelled , and then give that same season 50 percent or less of it back while giving more to all other seasons
Football doesn't have any state 7v7 . Terrible comparison. Football has zero summer competition they can do.

But Baseball can play multiple times in a week, so you're just looking at the number of days. That doesn't necessarily correlate to a number of games.

But Baseball can play multiple times in a week, so you're just looking at the number of days. That doesn't necessarily correlate to a number of games.
Can play twice a week, 3 if a doubleheader. So instead of 35 games you get 15-18 total. Then looks like no playoffs. Half a season

You mean teams don't play 7v7 against each other in past summers? Pretty sure that was normal
As Part of an IHSA summer league ? No. once a week maybe some teams. But that's only half your team. Lineman have nothing. 7v7 is NOT football. Summer baseball IS baseball.

Half of baseball doesn't even do summer league anymore. It's not even affiliated with ihsa. Regardless, the spring sports got screwed big. Especially softball and baseball, who don't share fields with other sports and state just said is lowest risk to play right now. Should have been fall full season

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Half of baseball doesn't even do summer league anymore. It's not even affiliated with ihsa. Regardless, the spring sports got screwed big. Especially softball and baseball, who don't share fields with other sports and state just said is lowest risk to play right now. Should have been fall full season
Weren't you against moving it to the fall at one point, because it was unfair.

Reactions: Hillini74
Weren't you against moving it to the fall at one point, because it was unfair.
Yes that was before what JB said with the risk levels and the IHSA deferring to them. Once they said they were deferring to JB, and he said softball and baseball were lowest risk and could play now, I was hoping it would be fall. Then if it got bumped again they could push to spring if necessary. Once I saw levels today with football being most at risk and was clear it wouldn't be fall, makes most sense to try the ball teams in fall. If IHSA is supposed to support all sports equally then it should be that way.

of course, I wouldn't go in to anything blind.
Yeah it’s not as easy as here go stay with him, their may be some temporary guardianship papers to be filed. I know I’m not telling you anything you already haven’t reasearched. Hard part is if you send them over there and they pull the plug you may be out of luck in IL...sucks....I don’t know why these colleges won’t adjust to what’s going on. Lot of them moving to Spring, I’m betting most will soon

Reactions: missingwalter
As Part of an IHSA summer league ? No. once a week maybe some teams. But that's only half your team. Lineman have nothing. 7v7 is NOT football. Summer baseball IS baseball.

IHSA does not run summer league. Coaches association does. Also very few good players actually play in that tourney. They all do travel ball instead.

Reactions: sporthog9er
IHSA does not run summer league. Coaches association does. Also very few good players actually play in that tourney. They all do travel ball instead.
That’s not true, they play in afternoons and usually on M-W sometimes Thursday so the travel kids can travel. We played a bunch of good teams with their best players. The year end tourney may have some conflicts at times

That’s not true, they play in afternoons and usually on M-W sometimes Thursday so the travel kids can travel. We played a bunch of good teams with their best players. The year end tourney may have some conflicts at times

Summer league is a joke overall. It is why fewer and fewer teams participate every year.

Oddly the 1968 Hong Kong Flu pandemic killed an estimated 34,000 to 100,000 in the United States with most of the fatalities age 65 or old.

Sounds a lot like the Coronavirus pandemic also originating in China and majority of fatalities senior citizens.

Yet the economy, travel, work, Church, school and high school sports weren't shut down or rescheduled!

I guess political agendas are the differences!
So do grandma and grandpa get a vote? Or do they just get tossed aside because their life is over the hill? You aren’t putting your children at risk. You are putting your parents or someone else’s parents at risk.

So do grandma and grandpa get a vote? Or do they just get tossed aside because their life is over the hill? You aren’t putting your children at risk. You are putting your parents or someone else’s parents at risk.
No. I heard a guy on the FND podcast say that Gramps would gladly die so there can be football.

I guess if 65 is considered a good life, I better think about retiring now.

Summer league is a joke overall. It is why fewer and fewer teams participate every year.
I don’t disagree with it being a joke, but the teams we played had their best players from some of the states best programs

No one is stopping a club football system being formed. We might see club football played in the spring from 2022 on.

Now it’s still possible that a school or school district could opt out in the spring and pick back up again in the Fall?

If there is any type of playoff, teams without a lot of scholarship seniors but very good juniors are going to benefit the most. Now if the NCAA moves signing day to say April instead of February than we have a different situation. Doubt that happens though since most states are going fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT