ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Football Moved to the Spring

Hypothetically, can a high schooler who lives in Indiana attend an Indiana school in the fall and play football and then in the Spring attend an Illinois private school and play football in the spring?

Has anyone heard anything about the NCAA changing signing day? With some states playing in the fall and others in the spring I wonder what colleges will handle recruiting.

Hypothetically, can a high schooler who lives in Indiana attend an Indiana school in the fall and play football and then in the Spring attend an Illinois private school and play football in the spring?
I sure hope not

I can't say I am shocked by this. But I can say I am disappointed. You have some schools wanting to go with in person classes. Others want a mixture and still others going to all eLearning. It's all so helter-skelter.

7 game regular season and a regional post season at minimum.

Spring sports screwed again. Why not go into July?
It was always a matter of time before travel took over for baseball and softball. This could be the final blow. If I'm a travel org ready to go with tourneys end of May/early june, I'm not adjusting for IHSA. And with just 5 weeks of games and no post season right now, if I'm a player I don't play HS at all. What a disservice to IHSA spring

Gonna say no.....check out 3.042 under transfer section of IHSA Bylaws

The conga line of top seniors and juniors leaving this state will be remarkable. But, and I say but, a 7-game schedule in the spring plus a TBD playoffs are better than starting the season then canceling it.
Do you really think that? What incentive does a coach in another state have to play an out of state transfer kid when he knows it's only for 1 season. Who's to say any kid that leaves IL automatically will start on any team he goes to? When Hinsdale was in danger of not playing in 2019, I heard so many kids say "I'll just go play at Naz". Maybe 1 or 2 of those kids would have actually played on last year's Naz team.

Do you think most families are that financially well off and careers are that flexible to be able to pick up and move, disrupting their entire life and the rest of the family, just so Johnny Junior can play this fall? If they can afford to do so, they can definitely afford to get a private trainer coach to improve on their technique, speed, and footwork. It's already been shown kids can get star ratings and college offers from showcases and camps. I've seen WRs get 3 star ratings and be highly recruited, but play like trash in a game. Scouts are looking for measurements, and game film isn't as important as it used to be.

I just don't believe there will be a mass exodus, if any exodus at all. The vast majority of kids playing football in High School do not play in college, and far fewer even sniff the NFL. Unless you are JJ and going to IMG, moving out of state because the season moved to spring is not going to be a popular decision.

Two random thoughts:

1) Will we see more injuries in football since the kids are getting an extra 6 months of lifting and training is so in theory everyone should be bigger, faster and stronger?

2) Will this actually help freshman football numbers? There are always kids that end up playing Sophomore year for the first time, will we see those kids in the spring now plus your regular group of freshman?

Reactions: Nit92
Has anyone heard anything about the NCAA changing signing day? With some states playing in the fall and others in the spring I wonder what colleges will handle recruiting.
Early signing day will remain the same for now to allow early enrollees to get on campus.

Do you really think that? What incentive does a coach in another state have to play an out of state transfer kid when he knows it's only for 1 season. Who's to say any kid that leaves IL automatically will start on any team he goes to? When Hinsdale was in danger of not playing in 2019, I heard so many kids say "I'll just go play at Naz". Maybe 1 or 2 of those kids would have actually played on last year's Naz team.

Do you think most families are that financially well off and careers are that flexible to be able to pick up and move, disrupting their entire life and the rest of the family, just so Johnny Junior can play this fall? If they can afford to do so, they can definitely afford to get a private trainer coach to improve on their technique, speed, and footwork. It's already been shown kids can get star ratings and college offers from showcases and camps. I've seen WRs get 3 star ratings and be highly recruited, but play like trash in a game. Scouts are looking for measurements, and game film isn't as important as it used to be.

I just don't believe there will be a mass exodus, if any exodus at all. The vast majority of kids playing football in High School do not play in college, and far fewer even sniff the NFL. Unless you are JJ and going to IMG, moving out of state because the season moved to spring is not going to be a popular decision.

I can only speak from my experience going through this with my son right now and he has several FCS schools that have told him already they want to see some more film of him playing at his current weight. Popular decision, probably not, but if you have options to play in other states, that's exactly what they are, options.

Oddly the 1968 Hong Kong Flu pandemic killed an estimated 34,000 to 100,000 in the United States with most of the fatalities age 65 or old.

Sounds a lot like the Coronavirus pandemic also originating in China and majority of fatalities senior citizens.

Yet the economy, travel, work, Church, school and high school sports weren't shut down or rescheduled!

I guess political agendas are the differences!

Last edited:
I can only speak from my experience going through this with my son right now and he has several FCS schools that have told him already they want to see some more film of him playing at his current weight. Popular decision, probably not, but if you have options to play in other states, that's exactly what they are, options.

Its really a tough decision you have to uproot so a guy can get 10 mins of film to look at after telling multiple kids he wants to see more film. Everyone has to do whats best for them, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

Okay, I can understand that. Are you now going to call around and find a fit somewhere, then look at uprooting to move to a community that might be right for your son, but not for the rest of the family? I have a feeling there will be some adjustments at the college scouting and recruiting level, as everyone is in weird times. Colleges are a business, and have an enrollment quota to meet. College sports will fill their spots, but if it's not in their budget to go all over the county, they will fill with what they know. If they are already talking to him, he's already on their radar and they are interested.

Of course, just my opinion formed over a long time of work in both the public and private sector, and close family friends who have recently gone through, and are going through, the recruiting process. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Laurarube
Its really a tough decision you have to uproot so a guy can get 10 mins of film to look at after telling multiple kids he wants to see more film. Everyone has to do whats best for them, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.
It really depends, my son's grandfather lives in Indiana, right on the border, residency isn't a problem for him. Let's say you have a school you really want to attend recruiting you, but wants to see that film by November at the latest, but you aren't playing until March or your offers want a decision before November? We will likely ride this out, but it's not say we aren't looking at all options.

It really depends, my son's grandfather lives in Indiana, right on the border, residency isn't a problem for him. Let's say you have a school you really want to attend recruiting you, but wants to see that film by November at the latest, but you aren't playing until March or your offers want a decision before November? We will likely ride this out, but it's not say we aren't looking at all options.
You would be foolish not to explore all your options. I think you will find the options are not as viable as many assume. Perhaps they are for you. I truly hope the best for your family.

Okay, I can understand that. Are you now going to call around and find a fit somewhere, then look at uprooting to move to a community that might be right for your son, but not for the rest of the family? I have a feeling there will be some adjustments at the college scouting and recruiting level, as everyone is in weird times. Colleges are a business, and have an enrollment quota to meet. College sports will fill their spots, but if it's not in their budget to go all over the county, they will fill with what they know. If they are already talking to him, he's already on their radar and they are interested.

Of course, just my opinion formed over a long time of work in both the public and private sector, and close family friends who have recently gone through, and are going through, the recruiting process. I could be wrong.
My family wouldn't be uprooted at all, his grandfather lives in Indiana. However, yes, I do believe the recruiting process may change since that statement was made and he would now have a chance to visit more schools in the Fall (if they play).

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Oddly the 1968 Hong Kong Flu pandemic killed an estimated 34,000 to 100,000 in the United States with most of the fatalities age 65 or old.

Sounds a lot like the Coronavirus pandemic also originating in China and majority of fatalities senior citizens.

Yet the economy, travel, work, Church, school and high school sports weren't shut down or rescheduled!

I guess political agendas are the differences!

No internet, no cable news, no way to spread panic

That has to be addressed @PowerI66 especially with the potential that most players won't even opt to play for HS during that time. It's like they want to gut spring sports on purpose

Turf fields are going to suffer immensely. Spring thaws and cleats will cause devastation to the nicest of of them.

Agree 100%.
As this virus spread continues, I expect you will see more States adjust and adopt this model and it may become the norm.

Reactions: Laurarube
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT