ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling football

Sterling @ Kaneland Saturday at 6. Why at 6 you ask?

Thor: Ragnarok premieres Friday so that night was out of the question. I have a brunch to attend Saturday from 11-2 so 1:00 wouldn't work. I'll need a nap afterwards so 3:00 is booked.

Looking forward to having the Sterling faithful at our place!
Let it go already

Laugh it off already :)

We don't have Arthur's, but there are a couple good places in MP I highly recommend
No worries tincup. I know your a long time member here and always enjoy your posts. We will tailgate so no need for a restaurant but appreciate the offer.

I'm guessing tin's comment was made as a joke, anyone that knows anything about Kaneland knew next week's game would be played at night. I'm sure the conversation with Goff went something like how about Saturday at 1? Goff- no we're playing Saturday night.

Shoutout to the group of fans from St. Viator that came over and delivered a collected donation. Very classy. Hopefully everyone gets home safe and by the looks of their twitter St. Viator has a lot more fall postseason sports to look forward to still.

Last edited:
Sterling @ Kaneland Saturday at 6. Why at 6 you ask?

Thor: Ragnarok premieres Friday so that night was out of the question. I have a brunch to attend Saturday from 11-2 so 1:00 wouldn't work. I'll need a nap afterwards so 3:00 is booked.

Looking forward to having the Sterling faithful at our place!

I'm sorry, 6pm just doesn't work for Sterling and I can't believe Your not going to accommodate us Tinny your not a gracious host.

Reactions: tincup1215
I don't have a legitimate answer for that besides we always play night games at Kaneland. It also does help me personally since I'll be in Peoria watching XC and will be able to make it back in time for the game.

Gebhardt beat our kid Richtman by about 1/2 an inch for the sectional title this morning, so it'll be cool to see these 2 battle again at State followed by our football teams playing later in the day

It doesn’t appear ACT’s or a better conference made a difference here. Sterling dominates from start to finish. Congrats to Sterling!

Reactions: Golden Warrior
First let's play the games, Kaneland won't be easy, Sterling has always struggled there, the best high school football game I have ever seen was quarter final game Sterling/Kaneland that went into I believe 6 over times Kaneland won to go to Semis, I think this Sterling team will roll them but you never know. Then I see Sterling having to go on the road again to play MCC and that won't be fun, that's two years in a row Sterling going 9-0 gets a home game then 2 road games, but that also would mean Phillips at home and Sterling plays really well at home!

Overly impressed with Sterling team. QB is solid, the main running back is a stud, even the back up is good, they block well on the line, very displined team overall and well coached. Team speed on the defensive side and they fly to the football. I would say that Sterling would beat Nazareth and give Marist a game in our conference this year. On a side note, they have an awesome stadium and the school has a college feel to it. I havent seen Phillips, but this team should win 5A this year. Good Luck the rest of the way and it will take a major upset for this team to lose before the semi game with Phillips. There is no team in the South bracket that will beat Sterling. The one other thing that I think is impressive is the town of Sterling has two teams that are 10-0. Enough said!

Overly impressed with Sterling team. QB is solid, the main running back is a stud, even the back up is good, they block well on the line, very displined team overall and well coached. Team speed on the defensive side and they fly to the football. I would say that Sterling would beat Nazareth and give Marist a game in our conference this year. On a side note, they have an awesome stadium and the school has a college feel to it. I havent seen Phillips, but this team should win 5A this year. Good Luck the rest of the way and it will take a major upset for this team to lose before the semi game with Phillips. There is no team in the South bracket that will beat Sterling. The one other thing that I think is impressive is the town of Sterling has two teams that are 10-0. Enough said!

Thanks for the compliments green nights, it has always been a magic feel for a high school football game and Friday Night lights at Roscoe Eads stadium, praying Phillips gets to see it next!

Not looking past Kaneland but Sterling should play Woodstock Marion Catholic in Quarters, I see that St. Viator beat them in the regular season, is this the same team Viator beat in the regular season or did I read they got back some previously injured kids?
How is Woodstock Marion looking now compared to the regular season?

Not looking past Kaneland but Sterling should play Woodstock Marion Catholic in Quarters, I see that St. Viator beat them in the regular season, is this the same team Viator beat in the regular season or did I read they got back some previously injured kids?
How is Woodstock Marion looking now compared to the regular season?
They are healthy now. A much different team. I think the sprinklers are already on in Woodstock.

I would agree that Sterling is a really good team! But let's slow down that they would give Marist a game! Their largest aponent was 6A. Kanenland can play some balland is coached really well. MCC plays one of the tuffest schedules. I do know that they are mostly healthy. They just dominated an undefeated Antioch Team. Plus Philips has to get by very good Solario and Lemont teams. That's what makes playoffs so fun to watch.

Reactions: ESCC fan
I would agree that Sterling is a really good team! But let's slow down that they would give Marist a game! Their largest aponent was 6A. Kanenland can play some balland is coached really well. MCC plays one of the tuffest schedules. I do know that they are mostly healthy. They just dominated an undefeated Antioch Team. Plus Philips has to get by very good Solario and Lemont teams. That's what makes playoffs so fun to watch.
Should I slow down on my opinoin, relax, you must have all the answers. Until Sterling proves me wrong, I will stick with what I said. Nobody is down playing Marist or Naz, just stating that I think Sterling is that good of team.

Have you seen Sterling play yet this year???

Have you seen Sterling play yet this year???

Easy on the multiple question marks, dude. People are going to start mistaking you for HHSTigerfan.

Sometimes when it comes to high school football, we fall victim to our own eyes. I know I do. That is to say that we see a team, and we come away impressed because we were there. We extrapolate and make assumptions and predictions based on what we have seen in ONE GAME. This is especially true for the fan who follows one team, and sees only that team play against maybe 8-9 others throughout the season.

In an earlier post, and in reference to Sterling, you said, "I havent seen Phillips, but this team should win 5A this year." Makes me wonder if you would feel differently about Sterling if you had seen Phillips or if, instead of the Warrior domination of the Lions, you saw Sterling play in their 28-14 win over Sycamore (a team that finished at 3-6).

Not trying to take anything away from Sterling here. Just trying to get you to look at this from a broader perspective.

Easy on the multiple question marks, dude. People are going to start mistaking you for HHSTigerfan.

Sometimes when it comes to high school football, we fall victim to our own eyes. I know I do. That is to say that we see a team, and we come away impressed because we were there. We extrapolate and make assumptions and predictions based on what we have seen in ONE GAME. This is especially true for the fan who follows one team, and sees only that team play against maybe 8-9 others throughout the season.

In an earlier post, and in reference to Sterling, you said, "I havent seen Phillips, but this team should win 5A this year." Makes me wonder if you would feel differently about Sterling if you had seen Phillips or if, instead of the Warrior domination of the Lions, you saw Sterling play in their 28-14 win over Sycamore (a team that finished at 3-6).

Not trying to take anything away from Sterling here. Just trying to get you to look at this from a broader perspective.

Homer eyes are always blurry, I know from experience!

Yes, versus DeKalb. Also, have seen Marist. IMO would not be close. Marist at a different level. Sterling and Kanenland have very similar scores vs same oponents. Should be a great game.

Should I slow down on my opinoin, relax, you must have all the answers. Until Sterling proves me wrong, I will stick with what I said. Nobody is down playing Marist or Naz, just stating that I think Sterling is that good of team.

All the more reason to shrink the classes from 8 to 6 AND add an unlimited opt into class to get the top 32 teams into it from all classes. That way really good 3A, 4A and 5A teams can opt in and test their mettle against the top teams from 6A-8A. Personally - i would think there would only be a handful of teams in 3A-5A that would even attempt it Year in and Year out - but until that option exists - I think it’s fruitless to try and compare the top 3A/4A teams with teams from the larger classifications.

I

I was really surprised MCC didn't beat Antioch 60-0
Antioch was 9-0 but they must have the weakest schedule on the face of the earth or I'm missing something, I saw that Antioch only beat Woodstock North by 1 point in the regular season, Rock Falls who plays 3A and only won 3 games all year, beat them by a touchdown, I am very familiar with Rock Falls seeing its right across the bridge from Sterling and I know if Sterling played them it would be 60-0 by half time, how did Antioch go 9-0 if they only beat a team Rock falls beat by one point? I expected a running clock by MCC before halftime, so when you say they beat a 9-0 team that doesn't say much. Dekalb beat Kaneland 31-13 Sterling beat Dekalb 33-3 Dekalb just knocked out Montini in the first round. In the past when Sterling has played MCC I'm praying for a few breaks and have always felt Sterling to be the underdog, this year I feel MCC is going to need a few good breaks.

Antioch was 9-0 and never played Rock Falls. Woodstock North had catastrophic injuries and started their 4th string QB vs Rock Falls and Lemont. (Please note that Lemont is a great team and I don't believe it would have made a difference)
Sterling is good and deserves it's ranking but clearly doesn't play the same type of schedule that Lemont or MCC does. How many playoff teams has Sterling played at the 5a level or above? 1 DeKalb. MCC

I

I was really surprised MCC didn't beat Antioch 60-0
Antioch was 9-0 but they must have the weakest schedule on the face of the earth or I'm missing something, I saw that Antioch only beat Woodstock North by 1 point in the regular season, Rock Falls who plays 3A and only won 3 games all year, beat them by a touchdown, I am very familiar with Rock Falls seeing its right across the bridge from Sterling and I know if Sterling played them it would be 60-0 by half time, how did Antioch go 9-0 if they only beat a team Rock falls beat by one point? I expected a running clock by MCC before halftime, so when you say they beat a 9-0 team that doesn't say much. Dekalb beat Kaneland 31-13 Sterling beat Dekalb 33-3 Dekalb just knocked out Montini in the first round. In the past when Sterling has played MCC I'm praying for a few breaks and have always felt Sterling to be the underdog, this year I feel MCC is going to need a few good breaks.

Plaything the "x beat y by z points" is a fruitless game to play.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
All the more reason to shrink the classes from 8 to 6 AND add an unlimited opt into class to get the top 32 teams into it from all classes. That way really good 3A, 4A and 5A teams can opt in and test their mettle against the top teams from 6A-8A. Personally - i would think there would only be a handful of teams in 3A-5A that would even attempt it Year in and Year out - but until that option exists - I think it’s fruitless to try and compare the top 3A/4A teams with teams from the larger classifications.

I think this would be great, but if the top small/mid class teams like Rochester and IC are perfectly content dominating in their assigned class, what makes you think they would jump up to the "open" class?
As far as I know, ESL and Phillips are the only two teams to ever petition up.

I think this would be great, but if the top small/mid class teams like Rochester and IC are perfectly content dominating in their assigned class, what makes you think they would jump up to the "open" class?
As far as I know, ESL and Phillips are the only two teams to ever petition up.
IC did the year after they won 2A in 2008 but didn't make the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT