ADVERTISEMENT

What school closed,consolidated,dropped football do you miss the most? Tell me about them

crazylegs777

Oct 18, 2023
What team(s) do you guys miss? Tell me about their school,good/great teams they had,helmet logos,football field,etc . I miss all but I'll start with Joliet East the Kingsmen. Kelly Green,Gold & White. Unique looking E on the helmets like E on Eckrich Sausage. Closed at the end of the 1982-1983 school year by a vote of 4-3. The deciding vote to close was cast by a board member who had kids at East. Never made the state playoffs but had a pretty good team in 1978 6-3. They went 8-1 in 1967 & won the Illini 8 & finished 4-5 playing a brutal schedule of much bigger schools. They were supposed to play Joliet West,Joliet Central but the Sica took over those 2 schools schedules & cancelled East. Joliet Central was originally supposed to close at the end of the 1981-1982 school year by a 5-2 or 6-1 vote but a board member owned a store down the street from Central so they put it in limbo & new board members were voting the next year. The school is now a job corps & they have/are supposed to tear down the stands,lights & scoreboard,field & ticket booths & build a warehouse there I believe :(

Reactions: MIKEFTB and JAYC14
Dundee High which closed in 82 and merged with Crown in 83. Went from 2 schools my sucky CG team could beat down to 1. We had to scrape up any wins we could get. DC had a running back George Scott in the first year who was a beast but they never really materialized.

Last edited:
Dundee High which closed in 82 and merged with Crown in 83. Went from 2 schools my sucky CG team could beat down to 1. We had to scrape up any wins we could get. DC had a running back George Scott in the first year who was a beast but they never really materialized.
The Cardunals named like that for the 4 towns that went into Dundee High!!! Made State playoffs in 76 & had some nice teams that under criteria today would have gotten in

What team(s) do you guys miss? Tell me about their school,good/great teams they had,helmet logos,football field,etc . I miss all but I'll start with Joliet East the Kingsmen. Kelly Green,Gold & White. Unique looking E on the helmets like E on Eckrich Sausage. Closed at the end of the 1982-1983 school year by a vote of 4-3. The deciding vote to close was cast by a board member who had kids at East. Never made the state playoffs but had a pretty good team in 1978 6-3. They went 8-1 in 1967 & won the Illini 8 & finished 4-5 playing a brutal schedule of much bigger schools. They were supposed to play Joliet West,Joliet Central but the Sica took over those 2 schools schedules & cancelled East. Joliet Central was originally supposed to close at the end of the 1981-1982 school year by a 5-2 or 6-1 vote but a board member owned a store down the street from Central so they put it in limbo & new board members were voting the next year. The school is now a job corps & they have/are supposed to tear down the stands,lights & scoreboard,field & ticket booths & build a warehouse there I believe :(
The St George Dragons.

The St George Dragons.
We played St George for the 1960 CCL championship. At half-time they drove out a huge dragon float. It only made it half-way before it collapsed.

Later in life, I had a few buddies from that school. They bemoaned the decision in the early '60s by the Christian Brothers to have their four schools leave the CCL for some ?Metro" Conference. This included DeLaSalle, St Mel and one other school.

Note that these brothers were not the same as the Irish
Christian Brothers who ran Leo, BR and St L.

I was always impressed with Weber. They had great teams. gorgeous red uniforms and the best looking cheerleaders in the league.

They had a great running back named Jim Burda who got hurt his frosh season at Michigan and lost his scholarship. He transferred to DePaul where I got to know him. Great guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
the decision in the early '60s by the Christian Brothers to have their four schools leave the CCL for some ?Metro" Conference. This included DeLaSalle, St Mel and one other school.
The other school was St Patrick.

We played St George for the 1960 CCL championship. At half-time they drove out a huge dragon float. It only made it half-way before it collapsed.

Later in life, I had a few buddies from that school. They bemoaned the decision in the early '60s by the Christian Brothers to have their four schools leave the CCL for some ?Metro" Conference. This included DeLaSalle, St Mel and one other school.

Note that these brothers were not the same as the Irish
Christian Brothers who ran Leo, BR and St L.
I read they did this because at the time the CCL wasn't a part of the IHSA so they were hamstrung on postseason so they joined the Chicagoland Prep or something

I was always impressed with Weber. They had great teams. gorgeous red uniforms and the best looking cheerleaders in the league.

They had a great running back named Jim Burda who got hurt his frosh season at Michigan and lost his scholarship. He transferred to DePaul where I got to know him. Great guy.
Wisconsin W on the helmets then Weber in cursive during the end. Wish they put their Indian logo on the helmets

There are actually several alternate versions of "Red Horde" from Welsh ⚽ to video game characters if some school wanted to take that mantle and go the red potato route.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT