ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling football

SVHS87

Jun 20, 2006
Congrats to the 256 that get to continue to play next week. Don't take it for granted.

Anyway, I'm looking for some information on Sterling. Don't know much about them other than Sullivan is fast and scores a lot. How's the passing game? Defense? Etc, etc. I'll give you my input on Viator if wanted.

Thanks and good luck to all!

I've followed Sterling for many years and I can confidentially say this is probably the best team I've seen in all my years, mainly because of the debth of there athletes, the offensive line and defensive lines have dominated every team they have played, after week 1, they put a running clock on every team they played and starters never had to play a second half, up untill week 9 against Dekalb where Sterling went up 31-3 at the half. There starting defense I believe only gave up two touchdowns all year, the other scoring came from kick off return and in the 4th a when subs were in. They have a star running back Sullivan who is quick through the holes and makes great moves, focus on him though and that's where you get burnt, Sterlings quarterback Morse can throw and will, he is also Mobil and quick and will pick up yards, Sterling is very hard to defend. Sterling defense is very very hard to score on, they are fast to the quarterback, IMO this is Sterlings year. They probably got the worst draw for a 9-0 team in round 1 and the best 5-4 team in 5A .

#4 ranked 6A Dekalb coach said in the paper that they would bring something Sterling hasint faced all year knocking who Sterling has played as the reason in scoring differential and he ate some nice crow getting beat by 4 tds

Sterling has put up some big offensive numbers this season, and their defense has been equally impressive. The overall team speed and line play is the best Sterling has had in the last 30+ years. And this team has a high level of discipline and intelligence. They do not beat themselves.

Sterling has put up some big offensive numbers this season, and their defense has been equally impressive. The overall team speed and line play is the best Sterling has had in the last 30+ years. And this team has a high level of discipline and intelligence. They do not beat themselves.

Can't really argue with Sterling's record or scores as they've handled everyone they've played, but they seem to be one of those teams that always looks like they have a good team, but then they find out they are not that good when they get to the playoffs. They've had a lot teams come into the playoffs ranked among the top 2 or 3 teams in the state, but they've never even gotten past the quarterfinals. Pretty sure the level of play out in northwestern Illinois isn't quite what is being played in the suburbs in class 5A. No way the Northern Illinois Big 12 conference offers close to the level of competition that the ESCC does. Put most of the ESCC teams in Sterling's league and they don't lose a game. It wouldn't surprise me to see St. Viator give them a pretty good game and possibly even knock them off if the breaks go their way.

Reactions: DCH88
It wouldn't surprise me to see St. Viator give them a pretty good game and possibly even knock them off if the breaks go their way.

Just curious if you are basing this on having seen both teams play or just on what you have gleaned on ihsa.org ?

I would agree that most years Sterling or any other public school with a good program can't compete with your JCA or Montini catholic school programs, in Viators conference, that's why they cant ever get to the semi finals, they usually meet JCA or Montini, without starting the catholic/public debate, this year is different, Sterling will play with anyone.

Reactions: stl705
Can't really argue with Sterling's record or scores as they've handled everyone they've played, but they seem to be one of those teams that always looks like they have a good team, but then they find out they are not that good when they get to the playoffs. They've had a lot teams come into the playoffs ranked among the top 2 or 3 teams in the state, but they've never even gotten past the quarterfinals. Pretty sure the level of play out in northwestern Illinois isn't quite what is being played in the suburbs in class 5A. No way the Northern Illinois Big 12 conference offers close to the level of competition that the ESCC does. Put most of the ESCC teams in Sterling's league and they don't lose a game. It wouldn't surprise me to see St. Viator give them a pretty good game and possibly even knock them off if the breaks go their way.
No way the NIB is even close to the ESCC but the pedigree of the NIB isn't too shabby...Geneseo,Morris Kaneland,Rochelle,Dekalb,Sycamore and yes Sterling. 22 state trophies over the years from that conference.It will have it's up and down years but pretty strong and competitive conference.

Sterling had a running clock on both Geneseo and Rochelle, by halftime. Also man handeld RI Alleman
Running clock before half, All these teams are in playoffs and Solid teams, watching these games were like watching JCA in years past man handel Sterling, I'm telling you, it's not like other years. Viator will probably be the best team they have faced, and with a 5-4 record I get it.

4A is correct, no comparison between ESCC and NIBXII, but the NIBXII schools have never been slouches either. Even Edgy agrees the NIBXII is one of the better 4A/5A conferences in the state.

Reactions: EdgyTim
I thought Sterling would earn some respect after throttling 6A and 7-1 Dekalb 31-3. I think Dekalbs coach had the same sentiments as many on this board. He thinks differently now.

again i ask, is this based on actually seeing viator play, or just what you see on ihsa.org?

I did get a chance to see Sterling play in Yorkville, and yes, Sterling was clearly the better team. The running back had a really good game. Had one ridiculous run right before halftime. It's just tough to tell exactly what your looking at because Yorkville was a 2-7 team, and I know people are saying their league is pretty good, but I still say it is suspect compared to the ESCC. Not saying Sterling isn't good, I'm just saying they might not have seen anything like Viator just yet.

I did get a chance to see Sterling play in Yorkville, and yes, Sterling was clearly the better team. The running back had a really good game. Had one ridiculous run right before halftime. It's just tough to tell exactly what your looking at because Yorkville was a 2-7 team, and I know people are saying their league is pretty good, but I still say it is suspect compared to the ESCC. Not saying Sterling isn't good, I'm just saying they might not have seen anything like Viator just yet.
So would Viator have scored more than 52 points to the half if they were playing Yorkville? Yorkvilke was 2-7 but put them in just about any conference other than the NIB 12 and ESCC and I bet they make the playoffs, I got to see some film of Viator too and I think Dekalb would beat them, We will just have to wait until Saturday to see if your theory holds water.

So would Viator have scored more than 52 points to the half if they were playing Yorkville? Yorkvilke was 2-7 but put them in just about any conference other than the NIB 12 and ESCC and I bet they make the playoffs, I got to see some film of Viator too and I think Dekalb would beat them, We will just have to wait until Saturday to see if your theory holds water.
Sterling isn’t going to lose to Viator. Tough draw though.

Yeah well don't believe everything you hear. SHS has a play at the school Friday night and there isn't enough parking for that and a game. Newman also plays at the stadium and they have the 7:00 Saturday slot. That means they have to play in the afternoon. Maybe the "visitors" should have known not to schedule A.C.T. On a playoff date. Ya think? Or did they just not expect to be in the playoffs?? Try not to insult people when you don't know the facts.

Yes, let's not let education get in the way of Football. I guess once you get out west it's just about striving to drive that John Deere!

Maybe the "visitors" should have known not to schedule A.C.T. On a playoff date. Ya think? Or did they just not expect to be in the playoffs?? Try not to insult people when you don't know the facts.

Reactions: Gforce5 and SVHS87
Yeah well don't believe everything you hear. SHS has a play at the school Friday night and there isn't enough parking for that and a game. Newman also plays at the stadium and they have the 7:00 Saturday slot. That means they have to play in the afternoon. Maybe the "visitors" should have known not to schedule A.C.T. On a playoff date. Ya think? Or did they just not expect to be in the playoffs?? Try not to insult people when you don't know the facts.
Does the play run on saturday as well or just on friday? is there a parking problem for newman on saturday night? i think i missed the insult?

Dude - those are dictated days when tests are administered nationally for quality control. I’m guessing you never took one.

Reactions: USD24
Why can't Sterling and Newman switch game times? Or why can't the game be pushed to 3:00? This impacts a couple of key players for Viator. It's a shame that it's come to this. I will always have my son pick his education over athletics

Dude - those are dictated days when tests are administered nationally for quality control. I’m guessing you never took one.

Some of the kids are trying to move their location to Iowa so they will be closer to Sterling. That is insane that it has to come to this

Reactions: ESCC fan
again i ask, is this based on actually seeing viator play, or just what you see on ihsa.org?

Viator has made mistakes all year. Along with play calling/lack of execution has put them in the position they are in. Last week vs Niles Notre Dame, they had the ball 3 times inside the 20, twice inside the 10 and came away with zero points. You cannot beat good teams like Sterling doing this.

On a side note, their RB (#8) left the game early and D-Line #44 didn't play. Not sure what their situation is this week but they need both of these kids to compete

Viator has made mistakes all year. Along with play calling/lack of execution has put them in the position they are in. Last week vs Niles Notre Dame, they had the ball 3 times inside the 20, twice inside the 10 and came away with zero points. You cannot beat good teams like Sterling doing this.

On a side note, their RB (#8) left the game early and D-Line #44 didn't play. Not sure what their situation is this week but they need both of these kids to compete
I noticed 8 left late in the game and didn’t return. I hope he can play. He was an exciting runner and dangerous in the open field. I was impressed with SV last week.

Some of the kids are trying to move their location to Iowa so they will be closer to Sterling. That is insane that it has to come to this
It's too bad sterling could not have tried to compromise in this situation.

I didnt intend to start WW3 guys. I was simply explaining the reasons behind the start time. I think both sides have legit points. I also know there are other dates for the test and yes I took one. I'll leave it at that and go drive my John Deere.

Reactions: stl705
I didnt intend to start WW3 guys. I was simply explaining the reasons behind the start time. I think both sides have legit points. I also know there are other dates for the test and yes I took one. I'll leave it at that and go drive my John Deere.
Lol! Love the John Deere. I will just say this; student athletes. There are many reasons why this ACT time is so important, especially for the Seniors taking it for potentially the last time trying to get into their #1 school.

I just wish there were some flexibility. Asked for a 3:00 start and denied. I'm not sure how that time would affect the Newman game. Oh well, as they say, "control what you can control"

The ACT is offered several times a year. It's also offered at Sterling HS on Saturday. Well, that's assuming the locals get their chores done and have enough candles to light the library. Maybe those players from SV could take it at SHS. That would make a lot more sense than taking it in Iowa, no?

Reactions: Ogre5530
The ACT is offered several times a year. It's also offered at Sterling HS on Saturday. Well, that's assuming the locals get their chores done and have enough candles to light the library. Maybe those players from SV could take it at SHS. That would make a lot more sense than taking it in Iowa, no?
"Iowa" was a joke. They are looking into places near Sterling to take the test. The ACT is somewhat of a big deal. It's sad that the IHSA (and I guess the Sterling AD)doesn't feel the same way.

It is a big deal. Nobody is disputing that. As I wrote above, it is being offered at Sterling HS this Saturday. And it's also offered at Newman Central Catholic HS if that works out better. And it's also being offer on Dec 9th. And a handful of other times in the new year. Plenty of options available.

The Viator players tried to take the ACT test at Sterling. However, the ACT, which is administered not by the local schools, but by the ACT, had a date for changing the location of your test BEFORE the IHSA playoff pairings were announced.The Viatir people went as far as contacting the ACT in attempt to get a waiver and were told that it was not possible.

From what I was told, Viator asked if the game could be played at 3:00 PM, so their players could take the test and then make the game. Again, I was told that the Sterling people would not move the game time. They used the Newman game at 7:00 PM as one of the reasons why they would not change.

The IHSA uses times of 10 AM, 1 PM, 4 PM and 7 PM for the start times of their state championship games, so it would appear that 4 hours between games would be sufficient.

It is a big deal. Nobody is disputing that. As I wrote above, it is being offered at Sterling HS this Saturday. And it's also offered at Newman Central Catholic HS if that works out better. And it's also being offer on Dec 9th. And a handful of other times in the new year. Plenty of options available.

So, again, its sports over academics. C'mon. We should be better than that. I know for a fact that baseball makes these concessions all Spring for their games.

And as I said in another post, it is the ACT which dictates how and where you can take these tests.

Reactions: USD24
...so why cant the game be played at 3? Has that been answered yet? Seems like an easy compromise.

Reactions: SVHS87

I hear just fine. I stand by my sources, which are unimpeachable.

And let's just say some places value education more than others.

Reactions: SVHS87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT